No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, just logged on to see if I can catch up on 3 nights of posting in 15 mins - No chance!!!
    Just watched the first dvd from season 8 so all I shall say tonight is

Sam rocks!!!!

Looking forward to catching up with all the posts tomorrow!

Happy posting!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      As to meeting the Queen for the first time as she was being abducted on a movie lot ... that is certainly an intriguing turn of events and may require a PM or email for further explanation.
      Oh - please post as much of it here as you can! We all want to hear about whatever you can post about how you came to be there and got to watch them film that scene!

Comment

I got to rewatch Tok'ra Parts One and Two last night and just really enjoyed the whole Sam and Dad plot all over again ... even more now ...

Spoiler:
        that we know that Jacob does die in S8. Why does Selmac tell Jacob that she plans to spend at least the next 100 years with him. What happens in S8 that makes the symbiote die?

The warmth between AT and Carmen Argenziano translates so beautifully to the screen ... they really could be father and daughter. And her acting at the end, when he just wakes up, her hovering over him and then jumping on his every word and action, afraid that he's not okay - that was so believable. I could relate to that as an adult child and having seen my own parents sick. Amanda did a wonderful reading and I wouldn't be surprised if she just decided to add her own personal gestures and looks at certain moments.

What caught me last night, though, was something new ...

Spoiler:
        the irony that Jack was by Sam's side and helped walk Jacob up the ramp and into the event horizon for the very first time ... and that Jack was by Sam's side in S8 Threads in the observation room as Jacob dies. It seems to link Sam to Jack even more.

I think the Sam and Jacob Carter arc was one of the best ideas the writers ever came up with!
        Last edited by ChopinGal; 01 March 2005, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          but she definitely knows the names of all four characters: Jack, Danny, Teal'c and Carter.
          Does Kallesta call Sam 'Carter'?... I think that Sam would want Kallesta to call her 'Sam'... she had Cassie call her 'Sam'
          She points to each of them and shouts their name when the show starts and has this really amusing dance she does during the opening song.
          How cute!
          *shaking head as I wonder what I am doing to my poor child*
          I'm preparing her for a life as a bad-a$$ astrophysicists!! Yeah that's it.
          LOL! You Go Girl!
          (Kallesta... hope I didn't spell her name wrong)

Comment

Tara3583 and Deepspace - wonderful and thoughtful Season 5 episode comments! Loved them all!
            They are now archived and added to the Season 5 summary list!

Hey, do you know how much money an astrophysicist makes? (Are you ready for a really bad pun?) Answer: the sky's the limit! Wait ... that can't be true ... the sky's just the beginning ... if you're an astrophysicist.
            *Groan*... Colonel Carter just rolled her eyes....
            I think the Sam and Jacob Carter arc was one of the best ideas the writers ever came up with!
            I agree wholeheartedly, and AT said many times that she was grateful that such an aspect of Carter's character was available for scripts and background material.

spoilers for threads
            Spoiler:
            I'm just *so* sad that it had to end in Season 8. I really didn't want Jacob to die.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 01 March 2005, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

Does Kallesta call Sam 'Carter'?... I think that Sam would want Kallesta to call her 'Sam'... she had Cassie call her 'Sam'

Yeah, I'm not sure why she calls Sam...Carter...maybe because she hears Jack call her that all the time. Although, I haven't had much luck getting her to say 'yes, sir' to her father. So who knows. ROFL

(Kallesta... hope I didn't spell her name wrong)

Yes, you spelled it correctly. Spelling it is the easy part, pronouncing it
              correctly is what most people do wrong.

It's actually pronounced KAH-LEE-STA...where as most people
              say 'KAH-LES-TA'.

They also think that she is named after the actress Calista Lockheart(spelling?), but that isn't the case. The truth is my husband had the hots for the character Callisto on the Xena series and I told him absolutely under no circumstances would I name my daughter Callisto. So we made a compromise and found an alternate form of the name in a book.
              Onto another topic... I just wanted to tell you again how much I
              really admire the great work you do with the photos of Sam.
              I finally got a program to capture pictures from the DVD and as
              much as I play around with them, none of them look half as great
              as yours. Do you have a background in photography? Or is
              this just a talent you've acquired in time? Maybe I still have a
              small chance.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Re: Sam and her Dad arc being one of the best ideas the writers had (ChopinGal)

... I agree wholeheartedly, and AT said many times that she was grateful that such an aspect of Carter's character was available for scripts and background material.
                Yes, and this was an example of the writers' getting it right regarding incorporating the personal life of Sam into the scifi frame of the show! The whole father-daughter arc was clever, and beautifully written. I often wondered if Jacob may have been seen as useful for just an episode or two in S3, but then the fans' positive reaction and the chemistry between the two actors convinced the writers to develop the character more fully and keep him around.

Again, a great example of Sam = personal and professional = one interesting arc because the basis of the arc was the Stargate and SG1's history and adventures.

I know we've tossed this around already, but it's worth repeating. There was no sudden spin-off into Sam's personal life outside her life at SGC ... just a graceful insertion of a new and interesting character within that context.
                Last edited by ChopinGal; 01 March 2005, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Oh - please post as much of it here as you can! We all want to hear about whatever you can post about how you came to be there and got to watch them film that scene!
                  Dear Keeper of the Flame

Dare we ask that much of Madam President? I was afraid to ... but am certainly glad that you are bold enough to make the request.

I think MP has certainly raised our level of anticipation and curiosity. "One degree of separation" from the Queen is quite an admirable and enviable position. Oh yea, what say?!

Jester
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 01 March 2005, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I was watching Demons(3.03) again today and I have to say I absolutely love this scene.

[Teal'c discovers a muddied track.]
                    TEAL'C

Here. This path is well travelled.
                    DANIEL

Which means the Stargate is still in use by someone.
                    O'NEILL

Or...something.

Jack's little Dr. Evil Impersonation

I don't know if this was an ad-lib or written, but in either case it's really funny to watch. I love the little giggle we hear from Sam as Jack is walking away. Poor Danny, he just doesn't have the wicked sense of humour our other two friends have. His utter look of confusion never changes during the entire scene.

Comment

I was watching Demons(3.03) again today and I have to say I absolutely love this scene.

[Teal'c discovers a muddied track.]
                      TEAL'C

Here. This path is well travelled.
                      DANIEL

Which means the Stargate is still in use by someone.
                      O'NEILL

Or...something.

Jack's little Dr. Evil Impersonation

I don't know if this was an ad-lib or written, but in either case it's really funny to watch. I love the little giggle we hear from Sam as Jack is walking away. Poor Danny, he just doesn't have the wicked sense of humour our other two friends have. His utter look of confusion never changes during the entire scene.
                      I loved that scene too. I think that this must have been one of RDA's ad libs, and I think we're seeing AT's reaction, not just Sam's. It looks like she's just about to lose it completely, and just barely manages to rein it in.

NC

Comment

Heaven knows, we can always use an additional eager hand or two to milk the bovines and collect the eggs from the royal hens. I feel the need to inform you that, contrary to what is oft heard in the streets of Samanda, the Royal Accountant, Wise Elder, and I are not the royal hens of which I now speak.

Sincerely,

Court Jester
                        Quite true! If such a rumor exists, we must squelch it immediately! We may not be spring chickens but we are not old clucks either. (BTW thank you for not suggesting that we need help milking the royal hens and egging the bovines)

Wise Elder

Comment

ForeverSG1, that is great that your newhew is doing better out of the school system. And your 4 year old seems to be learning Stargate 101 just perfectly, after all, she already knows how to say 'Kree', so can call people to attention easily.
                          Rather than email, I thought I'd just write briefly here, so long as people don't mind a little bit of OT.
                          The best thing about homeschooling for me has maybe been the fact that I got given a lot of freedom to go in depth into subjects I liked, instead of being made to spread myself thin by only spending a set amount of time on each subject per day. This resulted in me studying because I wanted to, and sometimes spending weeks reading and researching about one particular thing I was interested in at that time. It means I guess that I haven't had a particularly structured education, and like you said, maybe not as broad as is available in school, but the things I learn I learn because I want to, and I get to explore them to their limits.
                          I am, however, probably not a good example of your average homeschool family. I know a lot of homeschoolers structure their classes as close as possible to school, and a lot succeed. I am actually behind in grades because of an illness I had two years ago, so I am the only 17 going on 18 year old I know who is still doing years 10-11 (I don't know what grades system you have in your country).
                          I hope that you thoroughly enjoy and are rewarded by homeschooling. I think it's great!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Dear Madam President,
                            I have been kindly informed by the Court Jester that my duties consist of transcribing the minutes from court meetings (though I do believe Tok'ra Hostess is indeed the Royal Scribe), and staying by the Queens side. If there are any additional duties that I may perform for Madam President at any time, all she need do is ask.
                            For now I would bring your attention to an important matter. The citizens and royalty of Samanda are waiting in great anticipation to hear more of your adventures near the set of Desparate Measures. We are, shall we say, desparate to know more of them.
                            It would be a great honour if you would recount your tale to us.
                            Yours,
                            Royal Page

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Nearly Circular: I loved that scene too. I think that this must have been one of RDA's ad libs, and I think we're seeing AT's reaction, not just Sam's. It looks like she's just about to lose it completely, and just barely manages to rein it in.
                              It truly does look like it is Amanda seriously about to crack up, and not something that was in the script!
                              Last edited by deepspace; 01 March 2005, 12:37 PM. Reason: I just noticed I have two green jello blocks now!!! Thanks everyone :D

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace

It truly does look like it is Amanda seriously about to crack up, and not something that was in the script!
                                i think a lot of rda's adlibs are done to crack amanda up. if you look closely when he's larking off, he usually glances at her as if to see 'hey, did i get her?'

that good natured teasing is one thing that fueled the ship speculation, whether they meant it that way or not
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X