No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. It's now one of my favorite Sam sayings too!

NC

Comment

Personally, I can't wait to see the end of Moebius 2 ... I hear that it also spoofs the James Bond movies ... what's not to like?! Unless you have no sense of humor whatsoever ... that's a shame. Lighten up, folks - as RDA would say: it's TV, fantasy, entertainment ... find pleasure in it ... if not, turn off your set!
      It's funny because today at Dallas Con, CJ told us about a story he was pitching to the producers. He had been talking to Teryl about an idea to bring back Janet.

CJ says he has been thinking of another UA storyline and said the reason they stopped doing them in the past was because RDA hates them. He doesn't like any storyline where there are multiple sets of characters, or they go back in time like 1969 because he can't keep track of who is who or where they are. But he said with RDA not there in season nine that maybe they would be able to do some more AU episodes, so they can bring back characters like Janet and Kalwalsky. He said he would like to bring back RJ as well but not necessary as Martouf.

I find it a bit ironic that RDA's last episode on SG-1 would be a type of episode that he didn't really enjoy. Hopefully he found AT's hysterically funny portrayal of geeky Sam worth all the confusion. At least we know we aren't the only ones.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Note: I really wish I could adopt Skydiver's attitude to just not read the posts by this minority. When I read this stuff, it is just like I am heading for a terrible train wreck, and I know it, but sometimes I can't help myself! I think it is because I can't believe fans would actually hate a character so much that I love.
        I totally understand how you feel Chocdoc. My loyalties are to the team.
        Granted Sam and Jack have always come first but I feel very uncomfortable when any member of the team is attacked. I can understand making comments about particular things you dislike about a particular character, or aspects of their storylines, but when it becomes almost hateful or a regular occurence I tend to tune them out.

I have found over the past few months that in general I do not like to read most forums or threads. There is much too much negativity. I read somewhere once that AT doesn't like reading online fan sites/forums because she read some negative discussions regarding Chimera. I was really upset about this, but after reading a few sites myself I could totally understand her reasoning. This is her profession, her life... it doesn't get any more real for her. If I put my whole heart into something and then had to listen to someone rip it apart it would be very disheartening to me.

It's highly upsetting to me to read attacks about Sam. I would not wish to be in AT's shoes over the past two years. That is why I have been so wickedly happy to find this wonderful thread. I finally have a place to shout how wonderful I think Sam and AT are, and I don't have to worry about being sideswiped by an unseen Sam basher.

Perhaps I'm weak, but I choose to live my life in eternal bliss. In my mind what I don't read about Sam, doesn't really exist. Therefore I keep my eyes glued straight ahead, never taking a glimpse into anti threads and I keep telling myself over and over...

"Sam is my hero."
        "SAM is my hero."
        "Sam IS my hero."
        "Sam is MY hero."
        "Sam is my HERO."

ForeverSG1

Comment

i stopped going to those places because they bugged me and made me angry adn annoyed me...and it just wasn't worth it.

they're entitled to thier opinion and i know that nothing i say will ever change it, so i'm not going to waste my time

the one lovely thing about freedom of speech is that, yes you're free to say whatever you want...but i'm just as free to not listen
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            It's funny because today at Dallas Con, CJ told us about a story he was pitching to the producers. He had been talking to Teryl about an idea to bring back Janet.

CJ says he has been thinking of another UA storyline and said the reason they stopped doing them in the past was because RDA hates them. He doesn't like any storyline where there are multiple sets of characters, or they go back in time like 1969 because he can't keep track of who is who or where they are. But he said with RDA not there in season nine that maybe they would be able to do some more AU episodes, so they can bring back characters like Janet and Kalwalsky. He said he would like to bring back RJ as well but not necessary as Martouf.

I find it a bit ironic that RDA's last episode on SG-1 would be a type of episode that he didn't really enjoy. Hopefully he found AT's hysterically funny portrayal of geeky Sam worth all the confusion. At least we know we aren't the only ones.
            That's a really interesting comment by CJ about RDA's not wanting the AU scripts. It sounds promising for AU in future seasons. So how was the con?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i stopped going to those places because they bugged me and made me angry adn annoyed me...and it just wasn't worth it.

they're entitled to thier opinion and i know that nothing i say will ever change it, so i'm not going to waste my time

the one lovely thing about freedom of speech is that, yes you're free to say whatever you want...but i'm just as free to not listen
              I try not to go to the sites or threads where Sam bashing seems to be the norm, but I do like to read the episode discussions, and it crops up there too. Now that I've read enough of them, I'm starting to recognize which posters to avoid, because their responses are almost sure to irritate me.

NC

Comment

Interesting discussion. I knew some of the history of the discord in this fandom - but not all of it.

Daniel and Sam seem to be the lightning rods for criticism. Oh to be Teal'c. At first I was appalled at the names these two characters are called. And the names Jonas was called. And even Pete. I was surprised that people disliked some of the characters so much because I thought ALL the characters were great. I still like to believe it's the minority - they're just very very loud. This forum is the most balanced place I've found and that's why I stick around here.

Sam has been getting the brunt of it lately, but believe me, for every bad thing I've heard Sam called I've read equally bad things said about the Daniel character. Whiny ***** who should've been thrown off the team, etc. Most of it goes on in mailing lists and LJ's these days but it's there. Who started the name-calling first? At this point I don't know. And I don't really care. I just mostly think it's juvenile.

I've kind of just learned to say - "hey she's my slut and he's my whiny *****" and I'll keep them. Thank you very much. I don't like everything the writers do with Sam or Daniel for that matter but I don't think I could ever work up any permanent dislike for any of these characters.

I'm no S/J shipper. But I've always respected that the writers have the right to tell the story they want to tell and goodness knows there seem to be a lot of fans who enjoy that aspect of the show.

Still I'm one fan who's looking forward to seeing what they do with Sam next season - away from being 1/2 of Sam and Jack. I think it could be a really GOOD thing for Sam.

P.S. You know it's weird that the forum will let me say "slut" and not "*****".
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

It's highly upsetting to me to read attacks about Sam. I would not wish to be in AT's shoes over the past two years. That is why I have been so wickedly happy to find this wonderful thread. I finally have a place to shout how wonderful I think Sam and AT are, and I don't have to worry about being sideswiped by an unseen Sam basher.

Perhaps I'm weak, but I choose to live my life in eternal bliss. In my mind what I don't read about Sam, doesn't really exist. Therefore I keep my eyes glued straight ahead, never taking a glimpse into anti threads and I keep telling myself over and over...

"Sam is my hero."
                  "SAM is my hero."
                  "Sam IS my hero."
                  "Sam is MY hero."
                  "Sam is my HERO."

ForeverSG1
                  Not weak at all, ForeverSG1---just very very healthy!

Hopefully AT would not be disheartened over the last two seasons. I think Astro mentioned awhile ago that AT's talented acting is mentioned quite alot by fans, and I have really noticed this. Regardless of the negativity on the writing of Sam's character, AT's great acting does get mentioned quite a bit! Ironically, IMO, the last two seasons have allowed AT to really stretch as an actor (say more so that in most other seasons). Just in this eighth season alone, she has been able to play three different Carters. I have really enjoyed seeing her play Replicarter---she is fantastically evil and she has blown me away with RC. And many have commented on this wonderfully delicious protrayal. (Haven't seen the next version yet.

I also heard that she came online right after Grace, and felt kind of bad. But here again (and I think she mentioned this), she does not write the character or the story arcs. And although Grace was hotly debated by fans--some loved and some hated it--, she won a Leo for it---that is what is important to an actor--being perceived as an excellent actor. And even when she protests about something that her character has to do (e.g., a certain Affinity scene), she has to go with what the writers/producers say. The writers are responsible for the characterizaton and AT is responsible for doing a great job acting. Well, she does this all the time.

I have to keep reminding myself that the millions of fans that watch the show that don't come online are mainly just simply enjoying the show!! Some episodes are better than others, yes. Some people like some characters better than others, but basically they aren't dissecting everything about an episode! I remember when I did that not too long ago---just simply watched and enjoyed! Now I'm like oh I wonder how some fans will view Sam in this scene. What will the anti-shippers think now? How about the shippers? AHHHHHHHHH. My friends are in the millions of viewers category---the oh that was a really good episode--it was so good to see Thor, to you know that episode was a bit boring--nice to see the team off world, but it wasn't very compelling. AHHHHHHHHH. Oh well. If I had never gotten online, I would not have found this thread.

Comment

stereotyping huh?

how about examples

to be a strong female character she should be butch
                    And have great big boobies. Don't forget the GBBs!

Also, there can be no more than one woman in any given team.

strong females can't be married or have kids....that emotional attachment makes them weak
                    Unless it happens at the end of the story, as a happy-ever-after reward.
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Hello fellow Samandans!!!

I have recently been tasked with the job of creating a satire! I have chosen to write a short story on "The stereotyping of women in film and television" and though that Samanda would be a GREAT place to ask for help, get other's ideas/opinions, especially considering our recent topics of discussion.

Any and all comments/ideas etc. will be greatly appreciated

MSam
                      Sigourney Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest, Lt. Tawny Madison, is a good example spoofing the women-in-scifi cliches, including the GBB's and the skintight uniform to show off the GBB's.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        First of all, you went to your first scifi con today!! Wow - good for you! Hope this doesn't rule out GABIT in London though!

Grin, the only thing that would rule out GABIT is my complete fear of flying!
                        But I have to admit, the chance to meet Amanda would almost make the 9+ hour flight almost worth the hours of agonizing anxiety.

So write more about the day and your experience - did you get to see or hear Teryl Rothery? I still miss her character so much.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Teryl, she was at the Con on Saturday and my parents showed up unexpectedly on Friday night so I didn't get to go. But I heard many fans talking about her and I wish now I had made it.
                        I wasn't extremely impressed with the Convention but maybe it was a bad day. My sister and I left after all the electricity went out during the autograph session. We sat in the dark for about 15mins and decided we didn't want to stick around any longer when we heard the Creation staff ask what had happened and if anyone had called an electrician.

Chris and Michael were both really fun to listen to though and luckily we got to hear both speak before the lights went out. CJ is extremely funny. He had me laughing so hard at certain times I was nearly crying. He and MS seemed very intersted in hearing the fans speak with a Texas accent. Not being a Texas native, I don't have one but they are really hard to hear here in Dallas anyway, too much of a metropolitan city I guess. They should have went to Austin or San Antonio if they wanted to hear an accent I guess. They even had the audience shouting 'Yeeehaw' a few times, exactly how Hammond does at the end of 'Into the Fire'.

Being part of the Bible belt, some of the comments they both made didn't go over as well as I'm sure they would have elsewhere. There were a few sexual and drug related comments that were not as well recepted but other than that things were really good. They both kept their cussing down to a bare minimum as well.

I think both may have let a few secrets/upcoming changes slip. One being that Lexa, MS's RL wife will be joining the cast next season as a recurring character. She is suppose to have something to do with the new General played by Bridges and another regarding the name and origin of the new enemy (you'll have to send me a private message if you want to hear about that one ).

Overall it was very interesting to say the least. I think if I had gone to the entire 3-day experience it may have been more exciting for me. I'm sure my husband would love the idea of taking a trip to the UK even if he had to share my time with Amanda for a weekend so maybe I'll keep that one in mind for the future.

ForeverSG1
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 28 February 2005, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                          I've kind of just learned to say - "hey she's my slut and he's my whiny *****" and I'll keep them. Thank you very much. I don't like everything the writers do with Sam or Daniel for that matter but I don't think I could ever work up any permanent dislike for any of these characters.

<applause> This is the sanest philosophy to have in any fandom.

I used to be a part of lists and forums where I'd come away feeling dirty, like I'd been rummaging in smelly, infected garbage for a piece of chocolate. After each session I'd inevitably ask myself why I put myself through that. <shakes head> I dunno; 'cause I'm naturally drawn to disasters?

When I finally convinced myself that the fandom is what I make of it, I quit those groups/lists/forums and I've never looked back.

Even here of the nicest forum in the fandom (IMHO) I am selective about where I go.
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

[QUOTE=Tok'Ra Hostess
                            Even here of the nicest forum in the fandom (IMHO) I am selective about where I go.[/QUOTE]

i'm the same way. i hang in places where my opinion meshes with others there and where folks are of like mind. I won't go where the bashers are...it's just easier on my blood pressure that way

they can have their opinions, i have mine and we co-exist by keeping our distance from each other
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSG1
                              Jack on the other hand, I can totally see Jack retired staying home
                              with the kids: doing the whole carpool and classroom helper thing.
                              Would I miss Jack in a active role, yes, but we have already lost him
                              in such a position.
                              oh me too. especially since that's pretty much why rda is taking time off
                              This is exactly the way I would play it out. Jack retires and takes a consultant position with the Air Force and the SGC. He could be off with Thor doing this or that for awhile, or he could be training new recruits at the Alpha Site, or he could be home, taking care of a new family. I think the position of civilian military consultant would allow the writers *so* much flexibility with the different scenarios and plotlines they could include him in - and it makes it easy to deal with whatever schedule RDA wants to be available for. Carter is at least 10 years younger, and still has much of her career ahead of her, she shouldn't have to give it up when O'Neill's character seems much more the type to *want* to retire. Doesn't O'Neill's character seem more suited to the freedom of civilian consultant than to administrative roles in the upper echelons of the Air Force? In the position of consultant, he could go out on missions as needed, still be in the field - or not, if that's what he wanted.

Given a chance for input into Season 9, I would have voted that O'Neill retires while Carter retains her commission - and position as CO of SG-1.

Comment

there are divisions in this fandom that will never be healed, and,among many, Sam has gotten caught in the cross fire
                                Yep.

And so, sadly, have "innocent" Sam fans who came along well after all this stuff went down (I became a fan in February of 2004) and wow!, have I been zingered a few times by some fans.

I felt at the time that the OTT reaction didn't match my comments, and the longer I'm in fandom, I realize that I'm probably caught in the fallout from the acrimonious "wars" that apparently went on. If one is a fan of Sam, it is sometimes assumed that one is ipso facto also an S/J fan (I'm not) and that one was also ipso facto "in on" any Daniel- or J/D-bashing or "crowing" over S/J that apparently occurred.

Well, I became a fan 3 years after D/C, after MS left, came back, Daniel died, ascended, returned, etc., and I still became a Sam fan.

I'm really hoping that they return Sam to some stories of her own (nonRomantic) in S9 dealing with scifi, command, or even personal with the other Big Two heavily involved.

hrh

Comment

Working...
                                X