No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a lot of stuff is shot out of order, especially right now. I seem to recall AT saying that both infirmary scenes of hers, one from grace, the other from deathknell were shot at the same time...and days/weeks away from the rest of teh shooting

in the past coupel of years, they've taken to shooting several episodes at once to accomodate RDA's time off. Which is one reason we'll have an episode like Promie Unbound, where you really don't see sam and teal'c (at all i think) next to something like Gemini, where you get a lot of sam and teal'c. chances are, although i'm just guessing, that those two episodes were taped simultanously. One unit with MS and CB over on the Promie set, another unit with AT and CJ on the alpha site set

that's got to make things fantastically hard for the actors since they could conceivably go from a light hearted ending scene in the briefing room to a dramatic and tense end of the world scene, all on the same day but for episodes that will air weeks apart
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      a lot of stuff is shot out of order, especially right now. I seem to recall AT saying that both infirmary scenes of hers, one from grace, the other from deathknell were shot at the same time...and days/weeks away from the rest of teh shooting

in the past coupel of years, they've taken to shooting several episodes at once to accomodate RDA's time off. Which is one reason we'll have an episode like Promie Unbound, where you really don't see sam and teal'c (at all i think) next to something like Gemini, where you get a lot of sam and teal'c. chances are, although i'm just guessing, that those two episodes were taped simultanously. One unit with MS and CB over on the Promie set, another unit with AT and CJ on the alpha site set

that's got to make things fantastically hard for the actors since they could conceivably go from a light hearted ending scene in the briefing room to a dramatic and tense end of the world scene, all on the same day but for episodes that will air weeks apart

I really hope that tptb get away from that way of filming in s9 and we can return to "team" style stories.

I would love to know how they can go from funny
      to really sad scenes, do they get time to "think" themselves into a scene that would need
      alot from them?
      ......TARA......

Comment

I agree tara3583 - team based eps are my favourite!

Thanks to astrogeologist yet again for the wonderful caputures. You chose some really nice clips!

Re 2001 ending on the director's commentry they definitely say that the guys wouldn't react, despite their (the director et al) attempts to get them too
        It was so disapointing after such heroic footage!

I've always wondered if we'll ever find out what happened to Joe. I though he was rather cute.

Thought of another few of my fave Carter/AT moments this time from Need
        When Sam, Jack and Teal'c are stuck down in the mine and Daniel bounces in and talks about the sarcophagus - "I've used it before without any side effects...... and look no glasses" Sam: "Sounds like a side effect to me!" along with a great expression

Coming back through the stargate she gives Daniel a real glare, then when O'Neill says to Hammond - "Had a great time sir, Sam got some naquedah ..... AT just apathetically lifts the package slightly - showing a slight peeve and tirdness from her ordeal.

I though it was excellently delivered. Just watch the hand movement and body language next time you see the ep.

She is certainly a star character and brilliant actor

I think everyone is making some great comments which have me nodding my head. Some stuff had not occured to me at all, so its nice to get everyone elses thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Re 2001 ending on the director's commentry they definitely say that the guys wouldn't react, despite their (the director et al) attempts to get them too
          It was so disapointing after such heroic footage!

That's another thing I really appreaciate about AT; she's always on the ball at work. She doesn't need to have the camera focused on her in order to act. She's always reacting to what is going on. No standing around with hands in her pocket waiting for her cue.

(About 2001)She wouldn't have let the boys down like that, wouldn't have cheapened their dramatic moment.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583

I would love to know how they can go from funny
            to really sad scenes, do they get time to "think" themselves into a scene that would need
            alot from them?
            i remember amanda saying that for POV, where she was the alternate samantha and so sad and crying that she got herself in the sad mood, then between takes she'd just go off into the corner and not talk to anyone, to keep that sad mood going

and i seem to recall in singularity, the elevator scene. she did it over and over and just couldn't get the right level of emotion...so the director got in her face and got her mad, which translated to sad and got that fantastic tantrum bit

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

(About 2001)She wouldn't have let the boys down like that, wouldn't have cheapened their dramatic moment.
              heck yeah. in fact, i've heard taht that's one reason there are so many reaction shots of amanda in the show. even when she's just in the background, she doesn't just stand there, she reacts as if the camera were solely focussed on her. which gives the director adn editor a lot of stuff to work with

sigpic

Comment

i remember amanda saying that for POV, where she was the alternate samantha and so sad and crying that she got herself in the sad mood, then between takes she'd just go off into the corner and not talk to anyone, to keep that sad mood going

and i seem to recall in singularity, the elevator scene. she did it over and over and just couldn't get the right level of emotion...so the director got in her face and got her mad, which translated to sad and got that fantastic tantrum bit
                I'd heard Amanda's explanation for how she handled the crying scenes in POV... she said that she got herself in a 'dark place'...

But I didn't know about the director getting in her face for that wonderfully done scene in 'Singularity'....I can just picture the director yelling at her just to get her mad... Wow!

Comment

<snipped>

First off, thank you, Denise, for giving me more tidbits to save.

So, this directer got in Amanda's face?... is it too late to kick some butt!

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

It *was* angry crying.
                    I thought even more touching were when Cassandra wakes up in the elevator & when Sam says she has to leave & close the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                      My favorite "Sam" moments....Singularity. Riding with Cassie in the elevator. Being unable to leave her. That scene breaks my heart everytime I watch it.
                      Originally posted by Sam fan
                      Sam was the thing that attracted me to Sg-1- I saw the ep with Cassie and I just loved it.
                      Originally posted by majorsal
                      So, this directer got in Amanda's face?... is it too late to kick some butt!
                      Originally posted by jckfan55
                      It *was* angry crying.
                      I thought even more touching were when Cassandra wakes up in the elevator & when Sam says she has to leave & close the door.
                      It was difficult to get clear, sharp stills of this sequence as AT kept moving and the scenes were not brightly lit.

Sam: "I have to close the door."
                      Cassie nods. With that Sam gets up and leaves the room.
                      Sam is still crying, they take one last look at each other,
                      Cassie: "Sam? Sam?"
                      and Sam shuts the heavy door, and spins the wheel to lock it.

Sam is sobbing now.
                      She steps into the elevator and makes it go up.
                      She starts slamming her fists against the walls and kicking it.
                      She finally sits down in a corner, still sobbing.
                      Suddenly it looks like she has realized something
                      and she stands back up and hits the stop bottom on the elevator.
                      One of my favorite moments was when AT shows that look on her face when 'she just knew'
                      - when she decides to go back down (second photo from the right in the strip above).

SCENE CHANGE:TOP OF FACILITY
                      We see the elevator lights stop at 26 then goes to back down.
                      Daniel: "Jack, she's going back down."
                      Jack: "The hell she is." Jack goes over to the speaker. "Captain Carter?" Sam doesn't answer. "Captain Carter."

SCENE CHANGE: Cassie's room in the facility
                      Sam walks in. We here Jack's voice thought the speaker in the room.
                      Jack: "Sam, do you read me?"
                      Sam walks over to the speaker.
                      Sam: "Colonel, I'm staying."

SCENE CHANGE: Top of Facility
                      Jack: "Negative."
                      Sam: "Colonel, she's awake."
                      Daniel: "Oh god!"

SCENE CHANGE: Cassie's room
                      Sam shuts the heavy door, and locks it.

Jack: "Captain, Carter. I am ordering you to get back up here, right now." Sam finishes locking it and ignores the speaker. "Right now!"

Sam goes to Cassie and they hug.
                      Cassie: "Are we going to die?"
                      Sam: "No, we are not going to die."

These images are best viewed on a monitor set at 800x600
                      All photos are screen captures from the episode 'Singularity'

The transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 March 2005, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Astrogeologist,

Once again you've done an outstanding job posting pictures that reflect people's comments. Thanks so much for doing this! You capture the moment so well.

This is just a little Sam moment, but I liked when she gave her cat to Narim (in Season One). I thought it was a kind gesture because he missed animals on his planet. I also liked Sam's reaction in "Between Two Fires"? when she goes with Narim to his living quarters and hears her voice when they enter. Her reaction was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                          Exodus/Enemies. My favorite episodes for Sam the brilliant scientist and Sam the great soldier. Blowing up the sun was a wicked cool plan. And snarky Sam running thru the halls blowing away replicators with her P90 is the Sam I love to see. Had some great Sam lines.

JACK: Carter? How do you know where to go in a place like this?
                          SAM: I studied certain respects of the ship while we were on Vorash.
                          JACK: You know how to have a good time, don't you?
                          SAM: I'm having a good time now, Sir.
                          JACK: You GO girl.

JACK: Yes! Well, next time, maybe we'll just wait and see.
                          JACOB: And blow the last chance I'll ever have to being right?
                          SAM: (Laughing) Welcome to MY life!

Fixing the hyperdrive... a critical job before you blow up a sun...
                          Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          Her finest moment so far has been blowing up the tok'ra's sun.
                          Not many people can put *that* on their CV.

Originally posted by Kes
                          Blowing up the sun was a wicked cool plan.
                          --------------------------------------------

JACK: Carter? How do you know where to go in a place like this?
                          SAM: I studied the Tokra specs of the ship while we were on Vorash.
                          JACK: You know how to have a good time, don't you?
                          SAM: I'm having a good time now, Sir.
                          JACK: You GO girl.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          Best line "Welcome to my life"

JACK: Excuse me. I distinctly remember someone saying "We're not gonna make it!" I think we made it.
                          JACOB: I'm sorry, I overreacted. At the time it seemed we weren't gonna make it.
                          JACK: Yes! Well, next time, maybe we'll just wait and see.
                          JACOB: (Rather sarcastically, yet with a smile ) And blow the last chance I'll ever have to being right?
                          (Sam's grinning behind Jacob)
                          JACK: (As Jacob passes by him) What?
                          SAM: (Laughing...)Welcome to MY life! (on her way out of the room)

Originally posted by Kes
                          Sam running thru the halls blowing away replicators with her P90 is the Sam I love to see.

Photos are screen captures from the episodes 'Exodus' and 'Enemies'
                          Transcript excerpts are mainly from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript Website

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            Astrogeologist, Once again you've done an outstanding job posting pictures that reflect people's comments. Thanks so much for doing this! You capture the moment so well.
                            Thank You! ...and I am working on a few more...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              That's ONE of the reasons I've not watched Atlantis. When they'd had Jessica Steen as Weir, I was very happy with that. I knew Jessica from the show Earth 2, and she played my fave character there. So, when I saw they'd picked an actress that I liked for Weir, I'd actually found a reason to give it a try it. Even though I haven't watched Atlantis, I saw what the new Weir was like in Lost City(s). I wasn't impressed. Amanda grabbed me immediately. If they'd left Jessica on Atlantis, I'd watch it, whether I was afraid of trusting these ptb with another show.

We seem to have similar tastes, Skydiver, so I think I'd feel the same way about needing a Sam (or Amanda) on Atlantis. For me, if I don't have a female lead I want to follow, 75 percent of me being 'into' a show is gone.

Sally
                              You know, I kinda like TH's portrayal of Weir. She's more of a big sister/maternal figure to everyone there, rather than the more "down to business" role that Steen played - and I liked Jessica Steen's portrayal, too! I just think there are very big differences between how each actor portrayed the character, and TH's portrayal uses aggressiveness, caution, and care. Steen could have gotten to that point, but they didn't give her the chance... Either way TH has gone a really good job so far, I think!

<END OF OFF-TOPIC BABBLING >

Comment

First of all, what a great thread! I’ve enjoyed reading all the posts and remembering some wonderful Sam Carter moments. In my opinion, one of Amanda’s best performances was in Heroes 2, when the camera crew gets in her face after she comes back from the mission. The raw emotion on her face reflects Sam’s anguish and she lets it out as anger at the camera crew. We usually don’t see Carter emotionally out of control and Amanda did a wonderful job portraying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X