Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam
    Still trying to get through and TELL her about this thread!!! Trust me, it's not an easy task... Ah well, she WILL know within the next few months, she will!

I have to add my thoughts that she has been so amazingly brilliant this year it just blows me mind!

We get Evil!Sam, Geek!Sam, Emotional!Sam... so much fabulous new Sam, acted by fabulous Amanda. These last 5 episodes I think are her best performances ever. She's said Gemini was the hardest episode she's ever had to do. Well she sure did good!!! I would be SOOO happy if she were to win an award, she deserves it SO much.

With Moeby one and two I was almost DYING at points!!! It was SO funny to see her let out some of her "inner geek" Everything from the way she talked, her facial expressions, her little quirks and habits (The hands and sleeves things) She had every single little bit down. I've seen some people say she kept "slipping in and out of character" and that it was distracting... no way! I thought Geek!Sam had some good development throughout. I mean, she kind of HAS to, with the whole
    Spoiler:
    Suddenly being told about a wormhole, flying a space ship through it to get an alien from another planet to go back in time and stop a rebellion to fix the timeline....
    We went through a great journey with her!!!

Like I said, almost DYING at some points. My friends who'v seen it as well! And it doesn't get any less funny as time goes on. It's some classic Amanda that I will never get tired of

KUDOS TO AMANDA
    Hear, hear, Madam President! So well said!

I do have one question, though ... everyone who has already seen the end-of-season episodes are raving about "geek Sam with the glasses" but ...

**Spoiler**
    ... I understand that she actually takes her glasses off to kiss Jack ....

Now, I've worn glasses all my life ... how come, when I take my glasses off, the only payoff I get is running into walls?!!

Comment

Now, I've worn glasses all my life ... how come, when I take my glasses off, the only payoff I get is running into walls?!!
      Me, too!

[There's always contacts. . . .]

On another note, we've talked about it some here, but hows'about someone (more board savvy than I) starting a companion thread to "I'll miss Jack in S9 rant" called something like "I'll miss Sam in S9/Why is she gone/Why she comes back rant"?

Realizing, of course, that opening it up to fandom at large may bring in those who don't want Sam back, but we can always counteract that by saying why we do!

And if PTB browse here, we might as well let 'em know in more than one place that we want her to have a heroic and noble arc to bring her away and back again!

hrh

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

In Honour of the Queen

We know that many of her loyal subjects have written copiously on the adventures of Samantha Carter and that prose brightens our day.

In like manner, do any of the good citizens of Samanda have an original poem or other work of art they would like to share?

Let them add to the bounty of Samanda! Perchance, there may be a royal bean or two in it for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
          Me, too!

[There's always contacts. . . .]

On another note, we've talked about it some here, but hows'about someone (more board savvy than I) starting a companion thread to "I'll miss Jack in S9 rant" called something like "I'll miss Sam in S9/Why is she gone/Why she comes back rant"?

Realizing, of course, that opening it up to fandom at large may bring in those who don't want Sam back, but we can always counteract that by saying why we do!

And if PTB browse here, we might as well let 'em know in more than one place that we want her to have a heroic and noble arc to bring her away and back again!

hrh
          Sounds like a good idea ... the contacts and the new thread! I'm so pleased that this thread is full of positive energy and support for AT. Maybe it's time to branch out a bit and have two threads going, as you suggest.

What say, royal fanship? Who wants to initiate the thread?! AstroG or Sky?!

Only drawback I see is having to split myself between two sets of compelling discussions ... I'm finding it hard sometimes just to keep up with all of us here.

What do people think? I know - let's take a vote! I love what you wrote: a noble and heroic arc! Yes, we have to pitch this to TPTB.
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 February 2005, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36

And if PTB browse here, we might as well let 'em know in more than one place that
            we want her to have a heroic and noble arc to bring her away and back again!
            Hrh and ChopinGal - great ideas! I agree with getting the word out ('over the walls')... although I *really* like our SaGC (Sam's a Great Character)... I really like the way we've maintained great content, respect, critiques, opinions and humor... and I am leery of some of the 'trolls' roaming out there spreading ill will. That said, the Best Carter polls have been open to everyone and we seem to be getting almost nothing but positive feedback from them...

Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 February 2005, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              So far, the gorilla has been fairly well behaved... it must like blue jello!
              LOL back at you! This is good to know ... we may be able to tame it given enough blue jello and TLC!

Comment

Wow!!! Don't visit for a few days and I need a mug of COFFEE, to keep me going through the posts!! Happily doesn't interfere with the intravenous sloe gin drip!!!

As always I have been left behind by the topics somewhat!!

MajorSam Just loved your post on your weekend activities (The real stuff over the dream!!!!) Please keep posting this stuff up here. Ahhh to be young again!!

Tok'raHostess Love the Samandan National Anthem!!

Welcome to all newcomers - enjoy the thread!!

Shuffles weight from foot to foot, hangs head in shyness, goes slightly red. A Blue Bean.......For Me? Whoa thats made my year.... No really!!!!!

Yippee a purple bean too!!!!!

Damn, for some reason the photo's wouldn't load for me on page 78 - apart from Astrogeologist's awesome captures of 2010 - great job - great selection as always spot on with the expressions!!!! Many thanks!!

Tok'raHostess "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" Just love that analogy and a fair point to the poor writers who soak up a lot of criticism and probably don't get enough praise - they gave us all the positive's Chocadoc clipped in from season 7 and 8.

Astrogeologist Many thanks for putting up all the info on the season 4 ep's. I can't rep you so a nip of sloe gin is yours if our paths ever cross!! I will go off line shortly to put up my responses - hope its not too late!!

The comment has been excellent from everybody. There is some new comment coming out to old topics too - very interesting. Thanks for hiding all spoilers for season 8.

Have we sold all the tickets for the ball this saturday? Are we charging an extra bean for pay on the door entrants?

Some suggestions for backgound music at the reception:-

Wishing On A Star - Paul Weller
                Lost In Space - Lighthouse Family
                A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris De Burgh
                The Moonbeam Song - Nilsson
                Moondance - Van Morisson
                Starlight - ELO
                Moonshadow - Cat Stevens
                Standing Out In The Universe - Paul Weller
                Man On The Moon - REM
                Rocket Man - Elton John
                Not Of This Earth - Robbie Williams
                Ticket To The Moon - ELO
                The Eve Of The War (War Of The Worlds) - Jeff Wayne/ Richard Burton.

And - in celebration of our Queen (and a bit of S/J ship)

The Scientist - Coldplay

The floor is open - dive in!!!

Read you all soon!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

...Love the Samandan National Anthem!!

Welcome to all newcomers - enjoy the thread!!

Shuffles weight from foot to foot, hangs head in shyness, goes slightly red. A Blue Bean.......For Me? Whoa thats made my year.... No really!!!!!

Yippee a purple bean too!!!!!

(to AstroG) I can't rep you so a nip of sloe gin is yours if our paths ever cross!!

Have we sold all the tickets for the ball this Saturday? Are we charging an extra bean for pay-on-the door entrants?

Some suggestions for backgound music at the reception:-

Wishing On A Star - Paul Weller
                  Lost In Space - Lighthouse Family
                  A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris De Burgh
                  The Moonbeam Song - Nilsson
                  Moondance - Van Morisson
                  Starlight - ELO
                  Moonshadow - Cat Stevens
                  Standing Out In The Universe - Paul Weller
                  Man On The Moon - REM
                  Rocket Man - Elton John
                  Not Of This Earth - Robbie Williams
                  Ticket To The Moon - ELO
                  The Eve Of The War (War Of The Worlds) - Jeff Wayne/ Richard Burton.

And - in celebration of our Queen (and a bit of S/J ship)

The Scientist - Coldplay

The floor is open - dive in!!!
                  My Dearest Royal Accountant

I hope you will be in good form on Saturday eve to join in a rousing rendition of the Anthem.

In all honesty, you deserve every Bean you have garnered ... after all, you are not only keeping the beans, er, books, but you are also editing the kingdom's first newspaper. A yeoman's job, I must say. Did I tell you that your ad for the combat boots was so well placed that Madam President was able to purchase two pair (and benevolently bestowed the second pair upon me). So I am in your debt as well.

Alas, the giving of reps at this time seems to be quite problematic for all of us. You are not alone in the inability to bestow the green jello we all so crave and desire. However, your offer of the sloe gin is not a trite substitute. I am feeling a bit neglected, however, as this offer was only made to our Keeper of the Flame. I feel that my efforts at organizing the Royal Ball this Saturday certainly should earn some type of compensation. Oh yea, what say?

I am happy to report that there are still some tickets left for the Gala; however, they are selling swiftly. It seems that Murray and his Merry Minstrels are more popular than I had expected.

Because of the recent influx of newcomers to the kingdom of Samanda, your recommendation to charge the Bean surtax at the door is an excellent suggestion. Our profit line should be rising after this event as I've cut costs by contracting with the local musicians and also managed to negotiate some fair prices on the desserts which helped to compensate for the higher cost of the more exotic items on the menu. Would you believe that the O'Neillian fish product from Minnesota was even more expensive than the intergalactic appetizers? It seems that the fish is much more in demand and a bit of a rare delicacy.

Your musical selections are splendid, indeed! And I have already sent the list on to Murray. I have also taken the liberty of adding the following musical compositions which I had researched in the archives as "Oldies, but Goodies":

Stars Fell on Alabama
                  Catch a Falling Star
                  Fly Me to the Moon
                  Moonlight in Vermont
                  Moon Over Miami
                  Moon River

I hope that I have not included too many melodies with lunar themes. I would certainly not want Murray and his Merry Minstrels over-mooning the dancers. I trust that Agent Dark will be monitoring the evening's proceedings lest anyone get too boisterous. I think I may have to squelch your above invitation advocating that "the floor is open - dive in." We do not plan to have a mosh pit at this event, in keeping with the dignity and decorum befitting our great Queen.

All in all, my royal colleague, you have made a noble effort to contribute to the success of this celebration and I commend you heartily.

On a final note, please come prepared to oversee the collection of tickets and beans at the front entrance, and leave the sloe gin at home. I cannot help you with the beans as I will be busy practicing the lyre for my debut with Murray.

Cordially,

Jester
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 February 2005, 12:36 PM.

Comment

as to the green jello blocks, there are limits put on the system. you can only give out so many in a given space of time, and you have to 'spread the love' before you can give back to the same person

i don't know the numbers but my suggestion is if you can't give green to the folks in here, go check out some other threads adn spread the love elsewhere, then you can come back and green the folks here

each person also gives out more points in respect to how many blocks you have. me for example, with 10 will give out more than someone with 3 green blocks
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Hear, hear, Madam President! So well said!

I do have one question, though ... everyone who has already seen the end-of-season episodes are raving about "geek Sam with the glasses" but ...

**Spoiler**
                      ... I understand that she actually takes her glasses off to kiss Jack ....

Spoiler:
                      Actually that's the one thing that I found odd about Moebius Pt2. She had her glasses on all throughout Pt1, but not Pt2 and here she is fixing the puddle jumper with no glasses! lol no wonder it didn't work Guess I'll go with the contacts then

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Lol, that reminds me of this dream I had last nite... I was at my army training, with all the big head honcho's watching me as I led a team through this whole obstacle course, (in my basement.. but we won't go there) and we were all pro Special Ops style, going around with P-90's, and we finally found I believe it was 2 PTB, all tied up prisoner, because they're bad guys, and the P-90s's were loaded with just little pellets but I was all excited and was like "Can I shoot, can I shoot" So I did...
                      O.O
                      Ahh the old special ops in the basement dream

Comment

Look Look I can be serious!!!!

Right - fave Sam Carter eps Season 4!!!

As always with these polls I have to keep reminding myself that I'm looking at the eps from a Sam character perspective - not an AT acting perspective (at least that is my take on the poll) It is so very easy to slip into admiring the acting when it comes to Sam moments, rather than focusing on great Sam character development.

Season 4 is such a good season for both Amanda's acting and Sam Carter character development.

Small Victories - Sam firstly volunteering to go with Thor - knowing that the Asgard are in great danger - quite a brave act she may not come back! Her worrying about the replicator blocks she has left behind. Working with Thor on the problem. Not giving up when they seem to be struggling and having enough conviction in her own solution to reason with the mighty Thor regarding blowing up the O'Neill. Her confidence is blossoming. Fave clip - her spitting out the yellow block - even though she knew it was Thor's favourite - nice!!!

The Other Side - Interesting that initially in this ep she sides with O'Neill and not Daniel. I did enjoy her agreeing with O'Neill for a change, even if I was more sympathetic to Daniel's argument. We get to see a bit of Soldier Sam. And yes, that glare at the end. She dares to glare at her CO to let him know just how she feels about him closing the iris.

Upgrades - Wow! we see a dark Sam in this ep I thought. Her exchanges with Janet are so unSam - she certainly had an edge to her. She even nearly argues with Huggable Hammond about taking the bands off. Excellent that we see the three characters drives in overdrive!!! Daniel with his books, O'Neill lost in himself and his physical abilities - wanting to kick Goua'uld ass and Sam, trying to figure out what the armbands are made out of, and writing her book on wormhole physics - very cleverly done by the writers. Sam in subtle but evident cocky mode at the pub - from nonchalantly correcting Daniel about the height of the wall, to potting the shot and asking for double or quits. Yes Sam has a dark side! Her fantastic peeve at O'Neill when he blamed their AWOL on her for wanting steak - A really peeved look and "It was your idea…..Sir" a grittier side to Sam and all too easy to start bowing at Amanda's feet re exceptional acting ability (did I mention I think she's a great actor?)

Crossroads - Dare I admit I can't remember much of this!!

Divide and Conquer - The best bit for me - and again the writers take Kudos for this is that it is Sam who decides to keep the ship between her and O'Neill just in the room. It is he who asks, "Are we OK with that?" I thought this very important for her character. It would have been a big shame for it to have been the other way around!!

Window of Opportunity Loved her being very serious in wanting to solve the problem of the loop. And of course brilliant observation by Sam to Hammond when Hammond is wondering if O'Neill's insistence they are in a time loop could be valid "When was the last time you heard Col O'Neill use terms like subspace field and geomagnetic storm.. and he actually used them correctly…….for the most part". Plus we get to see that given a kiss by O'Neill - she would certainly kiss back. Wondering at the end if Jack did more than just kiss Sam in one of the loops - brill!!!

Watergate - Yup Sam jumping out of the plane (thanks astrogeologist for the clips). Her daring to be sarky about her CO in front of him "Actually this is quite charming" - loved it!! Her acknowledgement of a fellow brilliant mind and obvious pleasure at meeting her. Great scenes in the submarine - though the best lines went to Daniel

The First Ones - A bit of soldier Sam again!!

Scorched Earth - This ep shows that Sam has great dilemma between her head and her heart, what is practical, what is right. It showed this inner turmoil brilliantly. Sam has heart, she's strong enough to argue the case, but she does follow orders.

Beneath the Surface Didn't quite like Sam being too eager to please and impress the head honcho. I wondered if it was a subtle way to show that she is not happy when she's not in charge of solving a problem - or frustration at things not being the best they can be - a bit of intense Sam here I thought. Brilliant that she had the bravery and courage to clear the plant and risk her life when there was an overload. It showed the whole SG1 of that mind.

Point of No Return Now they're all special agent spies searching houses!! Great interrogation scene with Daniel. The best scene has to go to Teal'c on the vibrating bed complete with huge smile!!

Tangent Brilliant her determination to solve the problem and not to give up. Some great interaction with Jacob.

The Curse Sam's so cool she's got a motorbike - brill' Loved her working with Janet. Her taking on Osiris.

Serpent's Venom - Selmac needing Sam for the maths and Daniel for the translation and (after a bit of throat clearing from O'Neill) Jack for the laughs!! Great her and Daniel working together under the mine. Loved the " trust me it's a math thing" Her persuading Jacob they owe Teal'c and must try to save him

Chain Reaction - MMMM can't remember Sam in this!!

2010 Sam having a life beyond SGC - being happily married. Showed a lovely feminine side to Sam in her clothing. Also showed her emotional side in the scene with Janet when she finds out she can't have children. Excellent exchange with Jack. This scene for me just bristled with tension. Superb acting by both ---oooops must keep away from the acting. It is Jack that is narked that Sam got married to someone else. Loved Sam's attitude when O'Neill says maybe her Ambassador can help" She just wanted to punch him I'm sure, but just walked away with a "be like that then" stride. Liked the fact that she took control of what to do and decided on the plan. A shame O'Neill came in and took over the lead. Great that it was she in the end that saved the day. Hero Sam!!!

Absolute Power Sam figuring it out, but not being able to follow through on it. However manages to persuade O'Neill. I was surprised about how difficult it was for her to persuade him, but she did in the end.

The Light Loved her being narked with her CO for using her as betting fodder. Interesting that Sam was not bright enough to avoid the lights powers - I actually though this was a good move by the writers!! Excellent attitude to O'Neill on the beach - loved it. She's not just going to roll over and defer if they are stuck there -I think this showed some of her inner attitude that doesn't come out too often.

Prodigy I just loved this. It showed again a different layer to Sam (Oh so many layers to peel) Loved her being out of SGC lecturing. Loved how she interacted with Hailey - loved the fact she was prepared to stick her neck out for her. She persevered with her.

Entity Seems to be in many people's top 3. I thought more of an acting gem than a Sam gem. Liked her bravery in the control room when shutting down the iris and the fact she was more concerned about the computer loss than her injury. Also liked the fact she wanted to communicate with the alien

Double Jeopardy The double gets the bravery award. Loved her fooling the interrogator woman and blowing her to kingdom come. Also her willingness to die for everyone else. Loved the real Sam's sarcastic quip to the O'Neills arguing, "As much as I would love to see how this plays out"

Exodus - Hell - her idea to blow up the sun - what a gem!! Can't remember much else

Gosh now I have to decide on just 3??????

2010, Prodigy, Small Victories!!!

Comment

ChopinGal ROTFL!!!!
                          Will get back to you tomorrow!!!

Comment

Skydiver

Thanks re the info on jellow.

It is a bit annoying as there are so many good posts on this thread.

I did go forth one night to spread myself around, but struggled to find posts to rep!!

I should get out more often though!!!

Cheers

Comment

It showed again a different layer to Sam (Oh so many layers to peel)
                              Couldn't help myself but...:
                              'You see, Samantha Carter is like an Onion...'

Great comments too

Comment

Look Look I can be serious!!!!

Right - fave Sam Carter eps Season 4!!!

As always with these polls I have to keep reminding myself that I'm looking at the eps from a Sam character perspective - not an AT acting perspective (at least that is my take on the poll) It is so very easy to slip into admiring the acting when it comes to Sam moments, rather than focusing on great Sam character development.

Season 4 is such a good season for both Amanda's acting and Sam Carter character development.
                                Hi Coley, yes, you are definitely NJAPF (not just another pretty face) ... this was an excellent post and critique. Kudos! I'm still not spreading the love enough, obviously, to bestow green jello so I have to applaud your efforts here.

You made me pay attention to my own past critiques by your interesting response that you are looking for Sam's character first, beyond the talented acting of AT. I find it hard to discern the difference at times because Amanda is so "wed" to her character. But you are right ... this thread is about Sam as a great character ... and her behaviors in the scenes, her arcs, her motivations. Why does Sam do the things she does? What you wrote about each episode was a very in-depth analysis. And I loved your metaphor: Sam as "onion". AT continues to peel back layer upon layer.

Nice job! This also shows that you are definitely NJARBC (not just another royal bean counter).
                                Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 February 2005, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X