Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    This just came to me tonight as I was watching Stargate.

I think the reason I never got into Pete as Sam's boyfriend is simply...

Sam is attracted to older men...maybe the old adage that with age comes
    wisdom is something that drew Sam to these men in particular
    (not always for the better).

Jack ... definitely older, even if he acts younger most of the time
    Jonas ... older
    Narim ... older
    Martouf ... young body but very old and wise symbiote
    Orlin ... young body...very old soul
    Joe ... older (though probably closer to her age)

Pete was the only one who looked younger than Sam. He was just
    too cute looking to me. Not distinquished enough and no wisdom in
    his eyes.

Ah well, maybe it's just more of my own attraction to older men that
    had me thinking in this manner.

Just a thought.
    ForeverSG1

I don't think its the age so much as the maturity. And not just his maturity. To be with a member of the SGC requires a great deal of trust in one's partner, and his actions have already led to him being told about the SGC. I don't think it would have stopped there. I can't see Pete accepting the secrecy involved in Sam's job and the fact that she would be "away" at times. Most likely he would have been trying to pry information out of her and resenting her for not telling him all the while alienating Sam. This is not a condemnation of Pete, very few men (or women) could accept this in a partner.
    sigpic
    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

I didn't like Sam with Pete because she was written seemingly out of character in the way she dealt with him and the secrecy of her job.

I'm really neither here nor there with Pete the character. Did he really have a character is more the point as far as I'm concerned?

Every time he appeared on screen he was characteristically different; IOW I always looked at him as a prop device, not a character.

Witness: In his first appearance he was the cuddly teddy bear in the 1st stages of puppy love.
      Later in that episode, he was obsessively controlling.

His characterization in NO is a moot point, 'cause that was 5th's impersonation, an unreliable narrator if ever there was one.

In Affinity, he's back to being incredibly nice, understanding, cute guy who doesn't mind waiting for an answer to his proposal.

Apparently in Threads (haven't yet seen)
      s
      p
      o
      i
      l
      e
      r
      he's both obsessively controlling in buying a house and dog without consulting Sam!
      And later he's incredibly understanding and nonreactive when she breaks up with him.

Makes no sense to me how someone can at the same time be obsessively controlling and then incredibly understanding back and forth???

Most people are not.

Hence, Pete is not a character but a plot device.

I maintain that if AT wanted a boyfriend who didn't die, he should have been Major Barrett. Because they worked well together twice previously. And because it would have been nigh on impossible to write their romance WITHOUT making it a part of the SG-1 universe. And the conflict to the romance would be a real part of the show's universe because SGC and NID aren't exactly friendly organizations.

Pete as plot device just did not work well for Sam's character because it turned her character into something of a plot device, too! Re: her weird no-reaction to the secrecy of her job, etc.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        This just came to me tonight as I was watching Stargate. I think the reason I never got into Pete as Sam's boyfriend is simply... Sam is attracted to older men...maybe the old adage that with age comes wisdom is something that drew Sam to these men in particular
        (not always for the better).
        Jack ... definitely older, even if he acts younger most of the time ,
        Jonas ... older,
        Narim ... older,
        Martouf ... young body but very old and wise symbiote
        Orlin ... young body...very old soul
        Joe ... older (though probably closer to her age)

Pete was the only one who looked younger than Sam. He was just
        too cute looking to me. Not distinquished enough and no wisdom in
        his eyes.
        Originally posted by Skydiver
        That was my one issue with pete. I never hated him...but i do think that he's not quite what i'd see for her simply because he was so immature.
        I was thinking about what you stated...and the word that came to me was 'intelligence'... Sam is highly intelligent - and it's difficult to see her with someone younger than her... he'd have to be some kind of whiz-kid prodigy that could keep up with her and sometimes maybe even get a step ahead of her mentally in order for it to seem right. Otherwise, her intelligence and 8-years of galactic experiences would make any 'normal' guy look like an immature little kid.

Originally posted by hrh36
        I didn't like Sam with Pete because she was written seemingly out of character in the way she dealt with him and the secrecy of her job. Pete is not a character but a plot device. Examples

I maintain that if AT wanted a boyfriend who didn't die, he should have been Major Barrett. Because they worked well together twice previously. And because it would have been nigh on impossible to write their romance WITHOUT making it a part of the SG-1 universe. And the conflict to the romance would be a real part of the show's universe because SGC and NID aren't exactly friendly organizations.
        Now I'm ok with ship - I just think it should be written well - and as you stated hrh, ship should be incorporated into the show's science fiction plots and universe. And the ship should never detract from the lead characters.

Now I haven't seen Reckoning, Threads or Moebius yet, but my sights are set on Season 9 - where I hope that they maintain Carter's character as a military officer who gets to command SG-1. I do *not* want to see them have her sacrifice her position just so that they can ship her with Jack (and I like Sam/Jack ship). Having the woman give up and sacrifice her job is 'old school' thinking... and it's not what drew me into the Stargate universe.

I hope that if TPTB choose to allow Sam and Jack to have a relationship in Season 9, that they write an intriguing storyline that does not detract or diminish from the admirable and heroic character of Colonel Sam Carter that we all love and appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          I hope that if TPTB choose to allow Sam and Jack to have a relationship in Season 9, that they write an intriguing storyline that does not detract or diminish from the admirable and heroic character of Colonel Sam Carter that we all love and appreciate.
          Whereas I would LOOOVE that, it kind of implies (to me) that there would be an episode, or an arc in an episode, based around S/J. As much as I dream for that, I doubt it will happen. For me, I just hope for a nice sweet scene between them. Simply offbase, being normal people. Maybe seeing Sam at home, like a normal person, and Jack knocks at the door. She opens it, smiles, they kiss. I would like it as a Sam fan, because it shows that she's recieved happyness after many hard years, and can still lead a normal life. Good for shippers because..well, we have yet to get ONE real kiss.

If we want to see Sam still as a strong admirable heroic, then show them having dinner or something, she gets a ring on the cell phone, has to leave. So she gives him a quick kiss and does so. Again, for the shippers, it would be good, for Sam fans, it shows she's not letting this personal relationship get in the way, and is still a fully functioning vital part of the SGC, not having sacrificed anything about her career for Jack, but still being able to be with him. (finally)

What do you guys think?
          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Yes, BlueIris-I agree that maturity is the issue. The idea of a cop may be a good one in that he'd understand a hazardous job, but Pete was poorly written. I liked Narim, though I didn't see any real future for him and Sam. Probably I just liked the fact that he was so enchanted by our Sam.

nearlycircular--another great post. I totally agree with you on the body language. I noticed that pulling her legs up thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
              If we want to see Sam still as a strong admirable heroic, then show them having dinner or something, she gets a ring on the cell phone, has to leave. So she gives him a quick kiss and does so. Again, for the shippers, it would be good, for Sam fans, it shows she's not letting this personal relationship get in the way, and is still a fully functioning vital part of the SGC, not having sacrificed anything about her career for Jack, but still being able to be with him. (finally)

What do you guys think?
              I think it sounds fantastic! A little simple ship, but not a whole storyline... something along the lines of the scene with the Indian motorcycle - just a little look into the personal side... and then there's a phone call pulling them (or her) back to work.

I especially like the idea of showing Sam as not having 'given up' her military career to have a relationship.

Good ideas MajorSam. Tried to rep you, but it won't let me... yet..

Comment

I caught the season 2 episode "Family" (?) the other day & it occured to me that it really was too bad that Sam never really got to know Teal'c's wife (that we know of). Drey'auc even said something like "I wish I could have gotten to know you better." That might have been an interesting friendship. It seemed like they had started to bond a bit, but then she and Ryac got shipped off to the Land of Light.

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
                  I didn't like Sam with Pete because she was written seemingly out of character in the way she dealt with him and the secrecy of her job.

I'm really neither here nor there with Pete the character. Did he really have a character is more the point as far as I'm concerned?

Every time he appeared on screen he was characteristically different; IOW I always looked at him as a prop device, not a character.

Witness: In his first appearance he was the cuddly teddy bear in the 1st stages of puppy love.
                  Later in that episode, he was obsessively controlling.

His characterization in NO is a moot point, 'cause that was 5th's impersonation, an unreliable narrator if ever there was one.

In Affinity, he's back to being incredibly nice, understanding, cute guy who doesn't mind waiting for an answer to his proposal.

Apparently in Threads (haven't yet seen)
                  s
                  p
                  o
                  i
                  l
                  e
                  r
                  he's both obsessively controlling in buying a house and dog without consulting Sam!
                  And later he's incredibly understanding and nonreactive when she breaks up with him.

Makes no sense to me how someone can at the same time be obsessively controlling and then incredibly understanding back and forth???

Most people are not.

Hence, Pete is not a character but a plot device.

Pete as plot device just did not work well for Sam's character because it turned her character into something of a plot device, too! Re: her weird no-reaction to the secrecy of her job, etc.

hrh

hrh, Great post. completely agree with everything you said about Pete and laos completey agree about how the boyfriend should have been Barrett!! Yes, the romance would have been dead center in the SG-1 universe!!

Comment

Now I'm ok with ship - I just think it should be written well - and as you stated hrh, ship should be incorporated into the show's science fiction plots and universe. And the ship should never detract from the lead characters.

Now I haven't seen Reckoning, Threads or Moebius yet, but my sights are set on Season 9 - where I hope that they maintain Carter's character as a military officer who gets to command SG-1. I do *not* want to see them have her sacrifice her position just so that they can ship her with Jack (and I like Sam/Jack ship). Having the woman give up and sacrifice her job is 'old school' thinking... and it's not what drew me into the Stargate universe.
                    Completely agree with you, Astrogeologist. Very 'old school'!! Jack wouldn't go for it either.

(note--I'm very happy that the forum is back on line, so I can go to this thread!)

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Whereas I would LOOOVE that, it kind of implies (to me) that there would be an episode, or an arc in an episode, based around S/J. As much as I dream for that, I doubt it will happen. For me, I just hope for a nice sweet scene between them. Simply offbase, being normal people. Maybe seeing Sam at home, like a normal person, and Jack knocks at the door. She opens it, smiles, they kiss. I would like it as a Sam fan, because it shows that she's recieved happyness after many hard years, and can still lead a normal life. Good for shippers because..well, we have yet to get ONE real kiss.

What do you guys think?

I haven't seen the last five episodes yet, so I can't really say. To be honest, I am really torn about the whole S/J ship. I know there are alot of S/J shippers out there and it is important for them to see these two together, but then there is a whole other fanbase that are really against it. I think I sympathize more with the shippers because the writers really did bring this ship into the picture a long time ago, and really when you think about, there is very little time spent on S/J ship in real time in all the stargate episodes so far. To be honest, I probably also favor pro-ship over anti-ship because it seems (and I could be wrong) that many more pro-S/J shippers are also much more likely to be Sam friendly than anti-S/J shippers.

So, sure, MajorSam, why not have your scenario play out! (But still need to see the last five episodes to see if it would feel right to me.

What I don't get is why some anti-shippers perceive that Jack really doesn't like Sam at all, and only patronizes her. I was blown away with this perception! This had never crossed my mind. I think the attraction is mutual, but obviously they could not act on it.

Comment

I especially like the idea of showing Sam as not having 'given up' her military career to have a relationship.
                        Being a fence sitter with the whole ship issue (I don't mind if she does get with Jack, or if she doesn't) I prefer it to be subtle. I'd hate to see an obviously married/girlfriend Sam in S9.

Moebius Pt2 had some great AU Sam moments
                        Spoiler:

The scene in the Jumper with Jack, and her reaction to his calling her hot - ROFL! Holy Hannah that was too funny

And did Moebius Pt2 answer the question as to where Sam will be for the first part of season 9?
                        Spoiler:

Jack taking the ZPM out of her hands and telling her she's got packing to do - Carter in Atlantis?? It wasn't much, but I'm hoping it is - Carter and McKay working together again would be a blast

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          Being a fence sitter with the whole ship issue (I don't mind if she does get with Jack, or if she doesn't) I prefer it to be subtle. I'd hate to see an obviously married/girlfriend Sam in S9.

Moebius Pt2 had some great AU Sam moments
                          Spoiler:

The scene in the Jumper with Jack, and her reaction to his calling her hot - ROFL! Holy Hannah that was too funny
                          Can't wait to see it!

And did Moebius Pt2 answer the question as to where Sam will be for the first part of season 9?
                          Spoiler:

Jack taking the ZPM out of her hands and telling her she's got packing to do - Carter in Atlantis?? It wasn't much, but I'm hoping it is - Carter and McKay working together again would be a blast
                          Spoilers for Moebius
                          Spoiler:
                          as long as it's not packing to leave her military career and SG-1 just to get out from under the regulations.

A few folks have posted speculation that Sam is going with the Daedalus (spelling?)... which is headed to Atlantis? (haven't seen any of the Atlantis episodes, so I apologize for my ignorance). Going to Atlantis sounds like a *really* cool storyline for Sam, but if she went to Atlantis, wouldn't they have to deal with AT's absence for the first 5 episodes on that show?

Comment

siege spoilers/s9 spec
                            Spoiler:

afraid that sam being on daedeuls might not work, simply because she'll need to be part of the atlantis mythos, unless, of course, daedelus takes 5 episodes to arrive...then sam comes home

what i think is more likely is that she goes to area 51 or the pentagon to brief folks on the time ship/what happened in moebius and is just on TDY for a bit...maybe showing up via phone/video that can be dropped in when amanda returns
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Holy Hannah, I just got back online after what seemed an eternity ... and ... and ...
                              Who
                              let
                              the
                              Gorilla
                              out
                              of
                              the
                              cage?!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Holy Hannah, I just got back online after what seemed an eternity ... and ... and ...
                                Who
                                let
                                the
                                Gorilla
                                out
                                of
                                the
                                cage?!
                                hey!

i resemble that remark
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic