Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clear_day
    Hi all! I'm new.....been lurking on Gateworld for a few months, but never registered until now!

I have to say that this thread is one of the reasons that I finally bit the bullet and registered- I love all the fabulous intelligent discussion that goes on here! I'm a huge Sam fan- definitely my favorite character, and I wouldn't watch the show without her. From all I've read about Amanda, she seems like an absolute doll as well- I'd love to meet her, but don't see *that* ever happening Anyway, just popped in to say hello~ I'm so glad I found some folks who love Sam as much as I do!

Welcome to Samanda

Come on in and enjoy yourself!!
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was reading some of the posts on the Citizen Joe thread and it really pointed out to me that some of us are "glass is half empty" and some of us are "glass is half full" people.

When I watched the show, I was struck again how responsive TPTB are to the fans. Do you know of any other show that has included so many references to things that fans have been saying? And I'm not just referring to Citizen Joe, but in other episodes as well. I'm impressed that they not only take notice of fan reactions to the show, but actually incorporated those responses into a script and made them funny. But when I read the Citizen Joe thread, some people felt the writers were taking potshots at the fans, and felt insulted.

Anyway, this thread seems to be mostly "glass is 99% full" fans, which is why I can't stay away. Even if I don't like some parts of some episodes, I still find the show entertaining. I like the characters, the stories, the special effects, and the fact that they still manage to surprise me in some way in almost every episode.(sometimes even after I've read spoilers ) How many shows can you say that about, especially after 8 years?

And since I am a Sam fan, I'll especially enjoy any episode that Sam is in. I may nitpick the way that the writers have written some portions of her character lately, (glass only 99% full after all) but IMHO she's still the best female lead character on tv today.

NC

Comment

When it comes to Stargate satisfaction, my cup runneth over.

Hey, gang; just poking my head in for a moment. 'nite, now.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          i can't think of others fic off the top of my head, so i'll be a bit tasteless and point out some of my own

consequences of survival
          exploiting the change
          final victim (might be listed as last victim)
          Meanwhile, back at the sgc...sorta. takes place after meta but is a humorous fic
          no time like the present
          still waters 8: entertainment value
          the more things change

just go to the link below and then to the alphabetized page, they're all linked there

various levels of angst (Final Victim is probably the most angst of the bunch)
          Definitely not tasteless when just about everything you write is so well-written! I greatly appreciate the length of you stories -- you develop real plots and deal with the angst and internal motivations of the characters so well. I always look forward to reading any of your stories when you post them... (hmmm... that could be a hint... )

Comment

just go to the link below and then to the alphabetized page, they're all linked there
            I think we overdid Sky's bandwidth for today

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              I was reading some of the posts on the Citizen Joe thread and it really pointed out to me that some of us are "glass is half empty" and some of us are "glass is half full" people.

When I watched the show, I was struck again how responsive TPTB are to the fans. Do you know of any other show that has included so many references to things that fans have been saying? And I'm not just referring to Citizen Joe, but in other episodes as well. I'm impressed that they not only take notice of fan reactions to the show, but actually incorporated those responses into a script and made them funny. But when I read the Citizen Joe thread, some people felt the writers were taking potshots at the fans, and felt insulted.

Anyway, this thread seems to be mostly "glass is 99% full" fans, which is why I can't stay away. Even if I don't like some parts of some episodes, I still find the show entertaining. I like the characters, the stories, the special effects, and the fact that they still manage to surprise me in some way in almost every episode.(sometimes even after I've read spoilers ) How many shows can you say that about, especially after 8 years?

And since I am a Sam fan, I'll especially enjoy any episode that Sam is in. I may nitpick the way that the writers have written some portions of her character lately, (glass only 99% full after all) but IMHO she's still the best female lead character on tv today.

NC
              Hot Dang, Wise Elder - this is one all-around kick-a** good post!

You should be awarded a Purple Bean for this one ... yes, even when we are angry or disappointed with the writing or the arcs, we still have the characters themselves, especially Sam - who, I agree completely, is the best female lead character on TV today. She remains a professional and delivers the goods, no matter what kind of script is handed her.

I think there's some hand wringing over Moebius 2 tonight, and even I am grumbling a bit (from putting my nose where it doesn't belong - into the Spoilers) ... but I'm still thinking these last five episodes are going to be worth seeing. And Citizen Joe was such a tongue-in-cheek romp - I was surprised that the writers did incorporate so much inside humor - they did poke fun at themselves - it was good to see!

So, in Samanda, we'll try to keep that glass half-filled rather than half-empty. We may have to change that rule for the Royal Accountant, though, who may be emptying her glass a bit too quickly.

What I like about this thread is that we have serious discussions, but don't take ourselves too seriously. And did I mention respect, lots of R-E-S-P-E-C-T for each other here which is really nice to see.
              Last edited by ChopinGal; 22 February 2005, 07:46 PM.

Comment

i can't think of others fic off the top of my head, so i'll be a bit tasteless and point out some of my own

consequences of survival
                exploiting the change
                final victim (might be listed as last victim)
                Meanwhile, back at the sgc...sorta. takes place after meta but is a humorous fic
                no time like the present
                still waters 8: entertainment value
                the more things change

various levels of angst (Final Victim is probably the most angst of the bunch)
                I love what AstroG just wrote about your fic, Sky, and look forward to adding you to my reading list!

However, am I just really tired or is there a missing link in all this?!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  I love what AstroG just wrote about your fic, Sky, and look forward to adding you to my reading list!

However, am I just really tired or is there a missing link in all this?!
                  The link is 'Emerald City' in her signature.

She has over 300 fics, I think... on all sorts of topics... but lots of Sam... and she does Sam-whumping well. Errrm... and she has a special subgroup of fics for which you will need to contemplate your special blue bean...

Comment

IMO you view episodes and characters differently depending upon when you started to watch. I have watched SG1 from the beginning, so the storyline arcs, the Jack/Sam shipperness, etc has all developed over time. If I had started watching say in the middle of season 3 (or 4 or 5 etc) and then gone back and viewed all of the previous episodes, I would have interpreted many of the scenes in those episodes differently as I would have known what was going to happen “in the future ” to the characters.

Having said all that, Sam has always been my favorite character. I like the fact that she is so multi-layered: intelligent, kooky, determined, brave, loyal, etc.

I am a Sam/Jack shipper. I know there has been a lot of division on this board with the shippers and anti-shippers and the I-don’t-care-one-way-or-the-other groups. It was the main reason I waited so long to join this board (I seem to have a knack for erroneously selecting all of the anti-Sam stuff ) I, for one, would have been content to see TPTB leave the whole situation alone. I was content with all of the smoldering looks, double entendres that RDA and AT included every chance they got . As long as TPTB left the possibility of their relationship open-ended, I was OK.
                    However, that all changed after CHIMERA. Pete never bothered me as much as some of my fellow shippers because I simply refused to believe he was any real threat .

I have really attempted to view all of the Pete episodes objectively. I have nothing against David DeLuise, I just don’t feel he and AT had any chemistry. The characters of Martouf or Narim or even Joe at least seemed better suited to her. If Sam was going to be with someone other than Jack, even temporarily (as far as season 7 is concerned since those 3 had already been killed), I could picture her with Alec Colson. Amanda and Charles Shaughnessy exhibited more chemistry in their few scenes in COVENANT, than Amanda and David did in all of their episodes combined. Still I am happy that Season 8 seems to end with them together. I can’t wait to see in season 9 how they explain that “You have some packing to do” line at the end of MOEBIUS.

I loved the friendship Sam had with Janet. I don’t mind that TPTB killed Janet. Although it was very sad, I cared that she died, which was the whole point of HEROES. What makes me truly upset is the fact that they don’t ever mention her! Is it too much to ask that Sam or Daniel or someone casually refer to Janet now that she’s gone?

I think Amanda and Don S Davis did a great job displaying the respect and care Sam and General Hammond had for one another. They didn’t have many “big” scenes together, but all of the little moments in the boardroom did add up. Their scenes together at the beginning and end of 1969 sold the whole time travel thing for me.

I loved the relationship Sam had with her father. It was very sad to see him die in TREADS. I know a lot of people were ragging on Amanda’s acting in that episode, but I think she played it just right. It would not have been in character for Sam to totally fall apart. Haven’t totally accepted that we won’t be seeing Carmen’s name in the guest credits anymore (at least not in this reality)

Sam and Jonas had a great friendship. She was slow to accept him, which I thought was realistic. I was glad they brought Jonas back in season 7 and that FALLOUT had some great Sam/Jonas scenes.

Over the years I have enjoyed Sam’s interaction with many of the other semi-regulars and guests. Highlights include her scenes with Maj. Paul Davis in TANGENT, DESCENT, PROMETHEUS and others; her mentoring of Jennifer Hailey in PRODIGY and PROVING GROUND and Graham Simmons in various episodes; and the friendship and history she managed to convey with just one hug with Catherine Langford in THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS.

There too many great Sam moments to discuss them all. I do think her character has grown a lot over the years. Some favorite moments:

Season 1 - her reaction to Jack’s hangover in BRIEF CANDLE; all the scenes in SOLITUDES (my favorite season 1 episode );

Season 2 - meeting Jacob in SECRETS; her explanation of wormholes in A MATTER OF TIME

Season 3 - drawing stick figures in LEARNING CURVE; the look and half-shrug she gives Jack at the end of SHADES OF GREY

Season 4 – Hugging Thor in SMALL VICTORIES; introducing Hailey to the Stargate in PRODIGY

Season 5 – her reaction to the fact that Orlin managed to build a Stargate out of things he ordered online and her toaster in ASCENTION; proving girls can shoot in THE WARRIOR

Season 6 – listening to Jonas praise to weather channel in REDEMPTION; working with Erin on the bridge in MEMENTO

Season 7 – talking about crazy plans in FALLEN (or maybe it was HOMECOMING); evading the enemy in DEATH KNELL

Season 8 – flying with Alec in COVENANT; steaming up to lecture Maybourne about his wives in IT’S GOOD TO BE KING

I hope that when Amanda comes back in season 9 they keep her character in command of SG1. I realize TPTB want to take the show in a different direction now that RDA will no longer be a regular. I only hope that they integrate the new character played by Ben Browder and don’t make him out to be the new “star” of SG1. Beau Bridges should make an excellent addition to the cast as the new commander of SG1.

Fingers crossed!

Comment

SPOILERS FOR MOEBIUS PART 1 AND PART 2
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      \
                      I just wanted to share these little thoughts with you about AU Sam.

When i first saw Sam i have to say that i thought she was really funny and over the top geeky, then as time unfolded and AU Sam lost her glasses she just seemed to gether more confidence in her self and with those around her and i found myself really liking this Sam and wanted to know more of this Sam's background.
                      There was little bits in last nights show that Amanda showed with AU Sam as the story unfolded
                      that reminded me that this was AU Sam and not our Sam, so once again Amanda has done an outstanding job in making me care for both Sam's, oh and as a shipper can i just say WOW WHAT A KISS!!!
                      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Koala Bear
                        Sam has always been my favorite character. I like the fact that she is so multi-layered: intelligent, kooky, determined, brave, loyal, etc.
                        Welcome aboard Koala Bear! Good list of Sam's positive attributes - and thoughtful comments on Sam's long list of friendships and the different connections and relationships over the years.

There too many great Sam moments to discuss them all.
                        You've got that right! So just share a few with us each time they come to you...
                        The SAGC (Sam's A Great Character thread) is open 24/7! (barring power outages or server failures)

I do think her character has grown a lot over the years. Some favorite moments:
                        Season 1 - her reaction to Jack’s hangover in BRIEF CANDLE; all the scenes in SOLITUDES (my favorite season 1 episode );
                        Season 2 - meeting Jacob in SECRETS; her explanation of wormholes in A MATTER OF TIME
                        Season 3
                        - drawing stick figures in LEARNING CURVE; the look and half-shrug she gives Jack at the end of SHADES OF GREY
                        Season 4 – Hugging Thor in SMALL VICTORIES; introducing Hailey to the Stargate in PRODIGY
                        Season 5 – her reaction to the fact that Orlin managed to build a Stargate out of things he ordered online and her toaster in ASCENTION; proving girls can shoot in THE WARRIOR
                        Season 6 – listening to Jonas praise to weather channel in REDEMPTION; working with Erin on the bridge in MEMENTO
                        spoilers for seasons 7 & 8
                        Spoiler:
                        Season 7 – talking about crazy plans in FALLEN (or maybe it was HOMECOMING); evading the enemy in DEATH KNELL
                        Season 8 – flying with Alec in COVENANT; steaming up to lecture Maybourne about his wives in IT’S GOOD TO BE KING
                        Great list! And I also got a big kick out of the AT's stick-figure Sam in 'Learning Curve' - and AT's unabashed enjoyment of the scene - she didn't look embarrassed, she just looked happy.

I hope that when Amanda comes back in season 9 they keep her character in command of SG1. I realize TPTB want to take the show in a different direction now that RDA will no longer be a regular. I only hope that they integrate the new character played by Ben Browder and don’t make him out to be the new “star” of SG1. Fingers crossed!
                        After the wonderful way that they introduced and created the character of Sam Carter on SG-1, I hope that they stay true to the basic tenants of her character and keep her the strong, yet personable, military officer that we've all come to know and appreciate! .
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 22 February 2005, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                          SPOILERS FOR MOEBIUS PART 1 AND PART 2
                          Spoiler:
                          I just wanted to share these little thoughts with you about AU Sam. When i first saw Sam i have to say that i thought she was really funny and over the top geeky, then as time unfolded and AU Sam lost her glasses she just seemed to gether more confidence in her self and with those around her and i found myself really liking this Sam and wanted to know more of this Sam's background.
                          There was little bits in last nights show that Amanda showed with AU Sam as the story unfolded that reminded me that this was AU Sam and not our Sam, so once again Amanda has done an outstanding job in making me care for both Sam's, oh and as a shipper can i just say WOW WHAT A KISS!!!
                          Can't wait to see the episode here in the states!

Comment

This just came to me tonight as I was watching Stargate.

I think the reason I never got into Pete as Sam's boyfriend is simply...

Sam is attracted to older men...maybe the old adage that with age comes
                            wisdom is something that drew Sam to these men in particular
                            (not always for the better).

Jack ... definitely older, even if he acts younger most of the time
                            Jonas ... older
                            Narim ... older
                            Martouf ... young body but very old and wise symbiote
                            Orlin ... young body...very old soul
                            Joe ... older (though probably closer to her age)

Pete was the only one who looked younger than Sam. He was just
                            too cute looking to me. Not distinquished enough and no wisdom in
                            his eyes.

Ah well, maybe it's just more of my own attraction to older men that
                            had me thinking in this manner.

Just a thought.
                            ForeverSG1
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 February 2005, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              I think we overdid Sky's bandwidth for today
                              oops. the downside of geocities.

i'm working with a friend to get my fic up on another host, it's just a bit of a task to mess with that many fic. i'm going to have to do something soon though, i'm about out of room on Geo.

the stories are also up on helio, ff.net and some of them on gateworld...my way to counteract geocities and their bandwidth limits

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                This just came to me tonight as I was watching Stargate.

I think the reason I never got into Pete as Sam's boyfriend is simply...

Sam is attracted to older men...
                                That was my one issue with pete. I never hated him...but i do think that he's not quite what i'd see for her simply because he was so immature.

i could see sam, with her rather forceful personaity, becoming the driving force in the relationship (lots of pete saying 'yes dear' or resenting sam making decisions) and i could see a lot of tension in their relationship because of it.

pete likes to be 'da man' an with sam being so independant, i can see a lot of conflict adn insecurities

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X