No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being gone for 5 eps should not effect the credits. an actor's position in the credits is a contracturally negotiated thing, and if the take amanda out for 5 eps, unless she's agreed with it, is the epitomy of rudeness.

if you'll recall other s8 eps, such as prometheus unbuond, where sam wasn't seen at all, amanda's name was still there.

IMHO, i agree with the
    AT
    CJ
    BB
    MS

unless it goes
    AT
    CJ
    MS
    and BB as ______

which could be possible since BB seems to be skiffy's new golden boy

as to command of sg-1. IMHO, kicking sam out of command to put another Lt Col in there smacks of 'punishing' her for not being there. It would be a demotion and would be a horrible thing to do

time will tell, but here's hoping that TPTB treat the character with respect rather than anything else
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      1) How do you think they're gonna handle Ben Browder's involvement?
      At the risk of being branded as hopelessly naive, I'm gonna say that I trust in TPTB to handle this situation with dignity, and that Sam will continue to lead the team - assuming that she is able to resume her acting career - 'cause anything can happen with childbirth.

In the five episode interrim, I'd actually like to see Teal'c assigned as the offical leader of SG-1. No human is going to have the tactical experience that Teal'c has, and Jack and Daniel both trust him implicitly. (And if anyone on the show argues that an alien shouldn't head a team, Jack'll remind them that the SGC is under new management. )

And when his commanding officer comes back from what or wherever the writers put her, Teal'c will do the honorable thing and galantly bow his head and return command her.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

And when his commanding officer comes back from what or wherever the writers put her, Teal'c will do the honorable thing and galantly bow his head and return command her.

ya know, i can picture that happening.

"So, teal'c, how did you like being in command?"
        "Major Carter, i am again in awe of O'Neill's patience."
        "Really?"
        "In recent weeks Daneil Jackson often reminded me of Ry'ac when he was a young child and just learning to walk."
        "He did?"
        "Indeed. in fact, i nearly instituted the jaffa traditon of Mah'kek."
        "Mah'kek?"
        "I believe the tau'ri call it a leash."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
          At the risk of being branded as hopelessly naive, I'm gonna say that I trust in TPTB to handle this situation with dignity, and that Sam will continue to lead the team - assuming that she is able to resume her acting career - 'cause anything can happen with childbirth.

In the five episode interrim, I'd actually like to see Teal'c assigned as the offical leader of SG-1. [...] And when his commanding officer comes back from what or wherever the writers put her, Teal'c will do the honorable thing and galantly bow his head and return command her.
          Originally posted by Skydiver
          ya know, i can picture that happening.

"So, teal'c, how did you like being in command?"
          "Major Carter, i am again in awe of O'Neill's patience."
          "Really?"
          "In recent weeks Daneil Jackson often reminded me of Ry'ac when he was a young child and just learning to walk."
          "He did?"
          "Indeed. in fact, i nearly instituted the jaffa traditon of Mah'kek."
          "Mah'kek?"
          "I believe the tau'ri call it a leash."

LOL! Love it!

Comment

Hi

As always I'm enjoying everyones posts on this thread. Thanks to you all!!

The Dancer of Spaz - good questions - I guess you know how everyone on the thread feels.
            One thing I had though of is that AT may actually want a reduced role, be happy with less air time and less demanding dialogue - that may play a part in what TPTB decide to do.
            I guess if the series continues she would be the obvious choice to take command of the SGC if she wanted an even more reduced invlovement - but that is in the future - hopefully!

Majorsal. I remember that final scene from 2001. The directors were apparently trying to get some reaction out of the chaps re Sam's injury - but none of them would! Maybe because they didn't want to cause a gateworld storm about treating a female officer with kid gloves?? But who knows?! That shot of her cutting the rope was brilliant though!!

Apparently Amanda did actually dangle on the end of a rope for quite some time to get the shot (Is there nothing she won't do for the show?)- though I would have preferred someone to have shown her how to tie the rope on to the ships bars before climbing over. As a climber myslelf I know the rope work was sadly lacking!! Not AT's fault I hasten to add!! They missed an opportunity to make her look super cool!!

Tok'ra Hostess. A great idea re Teal'c in command. It hadn't occured to me at all, but the more I think about it the more I like it!!!

Again many thanks to astrogeologist for all the piccis. It's nice to smile after a long day at work!!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              You've got to see it... and I guess it takes a quirky sense of humor to enjoy a main protagonist and heroic character set to the music from a cartoon... but the video is well put together... won a Stargate Music Video Award for best vid based on an episode... and I can't watch the vid without smiling... now is that because it's lighthearted... or because it's AT sunny face smiling on the screen?
              where can I see this vid

Gatebee

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
                where can I see this vid

Gatebee
                How much of Carter is actually Amanda Tapping? Okay, for example, Carter, for all of her talents and intelligence, is pretty down to Earth, IMO. She dates a Denver police detective, not a fellow rocket scientist. She drinks beer, dresses casually, and doesn't mind getting dirty. Her house is pretty simple, nothing elaborate. Do you think AT is like Carter in being down to Earth, or is she like many other stars and pretty arrogant and self-absorbed?

Personally, I think she has not let the fame go to her head and that's she's a sweet, down to earth person like Col. Carter. What do you guys think?

Comment

By all accounts from her interviews, her site, comments from fans who have met her, and her portrayal of SC on SG1, AT seems to be a pretty remarkable woman.

She certainly is very inspiring and intelligent

However we all have our faults

You would really have to know her to form a valid opinion on what she is really like. From a distance we can only hope she is everything she appears to be, whilst accepting she will not be perfect.

We can all have an valid opinion on Sam Carter though - based on all the episodes - I think she is great!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    When I read the word jump, I thought you were going to say when she jumped/fell backwards through the stargate in the ep 2001. Now THAT is brave! Great moment (except for the way the guys barely reacted to it once she landed in the gateroom). I actually taped that end scene, because I thought it was so cool.

Sally
                    That was a great one too.

Comment

IMHO, i agree with the
                      AT
                      CJ
                      BB
                      MS

unless it goes
                      AT
                      CJ
                      MS
                      and BB as ______

which could be possible since BB seems to be skiffy's new golden boy
                      The credit thing is probably subject to major negotiation. Some people have suggested missing 5 episodes would take her off "regular" status and so AT's name wouldn't appear in the title sequence. I hope that is wrong. If she does go off the main credits they better give her some special billing in the opening guest star credits.
                      My guess is it may go AT, CJ, BB and MS as...
                      or MS, CJ, BB and AT as...
                      the "and __ as" is almost as good as being first. And they'll all go after the title, not before as RDA has been.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        The credit thing is probably subject to major negotiation. Some people have suggested missing 5 episodes would take her off "regular" status and so AT's name wouldn't appear in the title sequence.
                        however don davis' name was in the credits and i think there are episodes that he missed and we have had whole episodes where varios characters haven't been seen, yet the credits haven't been played with

i think and hope she keeps her place in the front of the show. After 8+ years of hard work, it'd be a real slap in the teeth to do that to her

sigpic

Comment

Skydiver - I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
                            where can I see this vid ((Fireman Sam: You've got to see it... and I guess it takes a quirky sense of humor to enjoy a main protagonist and heroic character set to the music from a cartoon... but the video is well put together... won a Stargate Music Video Award for best vid based on an episode... and I can't watch the vid without smiling... now is that because it's lighthearted... or because it's AT sunny face smiling on the screen?))

Gatebee
                            Hi Gatebee!

Here's the link to the video
                            'Fireman Sam' (based on... Sam's scenes in the episode 'The Changeling'...)

The video file is a ZIP file that unzips to a .WMV file that can be played in Windows Media Player.
                            The author's website is LauraJo's Lunar Lounge: I Hope You Dance

I Googled for this info: 'Fireman Sam' was an animated series with 32 episodes "It was first broadcast on the BBC and S4C (the UK's Welsh language broadcaster) in 1986 and it continues to be broadcast on both channels today and has been sold to broadcasters in over 40 countries from Poland to Korea." From tvtome.com

And here are two excellent Carter video montages if you haven't seen them:

'Not Just Another Pretty Face' by Shima

The official video for Amanda Tapping at the German City Con (last year?)
                            First Place Winner of the Stargate 2003 Music Video Awards: Carter category
                            http://www.shimatsuno.de/Englisch/e_video.html

Sam Video Montage by Rocket Chick

From RocketChick's homepage (which is a Janet-fan-site, but has this wonderful video of Sam clips). From her main webpage, you can scroll down and find links to the Sam-video.

Comment

LordAnubis said: How much of Carter is actually Amanda Tapping?
                              I feel that any actor has to take on some of the personality of their character after acting them for 8 seasons. And I think one of the greatest features about Sam's character is that she is down to earth, and one thing I have always loved about Stargate is that because of the military setting, and regulation military uniform, sam has always been dressed simply, which allows her true beauty and her characters personality to shine through.

majorsal wrote: Why do I like Sam? Because she's what I'd like to be. It helps that such a *wonderful* actress is playing her (and has a part to do with my love of Sam Carter).
                              Sam is one of my most favourite characters of the SG1 team. She is everything I have ever wanted to be, from her scientiffic knowledge to her as a person. Maybe this is why I love her so-called technobabble, as I want to be able to oneday understand every word of it.
                              And there is no-one other than Amanda Tapping who could play Sam's character like she does.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

sam, unfortunately, is the victim of 'danged if you do, danged if you don't'

if she comes up with an idea and saves the day, then she's a mary sue and shouldn't be on the show since she's so unbelievalbe

if she doesn't come up with the idea to save the day, then she's just a stupid character and shouldn't be on the show since she's a waste of space

sam obeys jack's order then she's his 'yes girl' and a disgrace to women in uniform everywhere and should be kicked off the show

sam questions jack's order then she's an unprofessional officer and, you guessed it, should be kicked off the show

malarky

Sam is human. humans make mistakes and, quite often, what sam is getting blamed for is the direct result of the writers/directors saying 'yes, i know amanda dear, but it's written this way so just do it please'

For me, sam is why i watch the show. I started out watching for my RDA fix, but now i watch it because i throughly enjoy the character of sam and her interactions with the other characters

If you go back and watch s1 episodes, sam has changed a ton. She's no longer this rather naive officer with a chip on her shoulder. she's a competant woman who's secure in herself and her job and is a well respected member of the command

These are my sentiments exactly. For a small segment of the fans, Sam cannot win. She is damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't. She is perceived as either supersam or someone who makes fatal mistakes and is incompetent; she is seen as either too emotional or not caring enough; she is viewed as extremely intelligent yet too arrogant, she is perceived as too confident in her leadership or as a weak leader; she is too perfect or she is dishonorable, etc.

Sam is why I watch the show too. I agree with your assessment that she is grown into a competent woman and well respected member of the command. She holds her own quite well. AT makes Sam believable to me--showing many sides of the character, her strengths and her faults.

There are very few female characters like Sam on TV---to be a well-accomplished scientist and a colonel in the Air Force, and be kind and gentle is very rare.

Comment

Working...
                                X