X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuperHero Hype! - 1st Look at Darklight - David Hewlett's Movie

From SuperHero Hype!:

http://superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=1983

(There are four photos from the movie at the site. Unfortunately, David Hewlett is in them.)

Exclusive Look at Sci Fi's Darklight!
    Source: Superhero Hype! September 13, 2004

This Saturday marks the premiere of the new Sci Fi Channel original thriller Darklight, starring Shiri Appleby ("Rosswell"), and Superhero Hype! has an exclusive look at the film.

Shiri plays Lilith, an immortal demon based on mythology from the Kabbalah (According to legend, Lilith was the 1st wife of Adam in the Garden of Eden; she was tossed out and became a demon after she wouldn't sleep beneath Adam). In Darklight, she's the sexy, tormented anti-heroine who becomes humanity's last hope.

The movie also stars Richard Burgi ("24," "Cellular," Fox's new "Point Pleasant" series), John De Lancie (Q on "Star Trek") and David Hewlett ("Stargate: Atlantis," "Cube").

Superhero Hype! spoke to Darklight writer and director Bill Platt, who is a diehard fan of comics, sci-fi and horror. "'Darklight' is my first feature and I'm damn glad it's a superhero flick," says Platt. "I inherited my Uncle's collection of '60's Marvel Comics when I was a kid and I've been obsessed ever since. I loved John Byrne's FF & X-Men (particularly Kitty Pryde), Marv Wolfman & Perez's Teen Titans, the Avengers, and anything drawn by Gene Colan (one of my all time favorites). I always loved that comic 'Night Force', even though it only ran for 12 issues -- it had a great, gothic atmosphere."

Platt tells us that the project was his chance to put those childhood fantasies on film, even if on a tight budget. "I like the idea that Lilith is sort of an anti-heroine, a dark character. One of my favorite flicks is 'Escape From New York,' and I love that Snake Plissken is an unrepentant bad-ass. We didn't go quite that far, but I wanted an element of that in Shiri's character."

We asked Bill how the project came to the Sci Fi Channel. "They saw my NYU student film, Bleach, which won the Student Academy Award and played at Sundance. It was a sci-fi cop thriller, and the Channel wanted to launch a short film series, which ultimately became 'Exposure'. I worked as a Producer on that for 2 seasons, helping a lot of young, indie filmmakers get their shorts on the air."

"After 'Exposure' wrapped up," he adds, "I continued my relationship with Sci-Fi, and pitched them 'Darklight' -- About a tough, female demon-superhero, based on an ancient Jewish myth. I think Lilith's an interesting character because she's internally conflicted -- She has a dark past, having committed evil acts, and now she has to atone and reconcile her ways."

Darklight is an origin story, about the birth of Lilith as a super-heroine. "Lilith has amnesia, and she's living as an ordinary, 24 year-old woman (played by Shiri), trying to figure out her past. The circumstances of the movie force her to confront her true nature."

Platt is really excited to have Shiri Appleby in the lead role. "I think she makes the character extremely accessible and relatable. She's the young ingenue hero, kind of a female version of Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man, in regards to her age. And she handles the butt-kicking chores with extreme gusto."

"I really hope people check out 'Darklight' -- It's made by a true fan and aficionado of the genre." You bet we will! Darklight airs this Saturday, September 18th at 9PM.

Check out four exclusive pictures from the movie here (http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/ima...rect=Darklight), and don't miss the new promo at the official website (http://www.scifi.com/darklight/).

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

ooo- i'm a big fan of Shiri A., well maybe not her haircut But newho, it looks and sounds interesting
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Yeah, I am looking forward to this too. Looks real interesting!

Comment

I just saw the previews for it, looks kewl

Comment

Spoiler:

Well, THAT was a massive disappointment. Trite plot, trite characterization, cheesy CGI, and they made no use at all of the massive potential within the storyline, deciding to stick to the shallow path instead.

Hewlett played a sort of Evil McKay- a scientist who, if he isn't brilliant, at least BELIEVES he is and feels that he has been wronged by society and particularly maligned by his family. He did have some lovely scenes right in the beginning. Typical mad obsessive scientist fare, but he ended up shirtless, so I can't complain TOO much. Looked quite nice until he turned into a horrible CGI winged demon dispensing a plague meant to wipe out humanity. *sigh* That's always the way the the cute-but-insane ones. He turned human again for a bit and I had high hopes that the character would break free of the Evil Monster role and Do the Right Thing, but alas, he continued to pursue revenge, became a bad CGI monster again and ended up dying. Pity.

This movie could have been a lot better if they'd gotten somebody competent to write it. No surprises at all here, unless you count the fact that the Conflicted Hero and the Lady Monster Turned Savior didn't end up having sex. Ah well. 'Twas still nice to see David in all (or most) of his glory. Can't say I'd recommend it for non-Hewlett fans, though.

Comment

I can't beleive you actually thought it was going to be good. I knew it wasn't, so I stayed away.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Oh, I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I still think it could have been better. If I'd known how David's character would be, I might not have bothered. Then again, he WAS shirtless for a few scenes...

Comment

This movie had so much potential. They had a great cast and the Lilith Myth offered so much for story possibilites, but, unfortunately they went with the typical shallow story we've seen so many times before. Like Shadow said, if only they had someone competent to write it.

Comment

I was so sad that the movie wasn't as good as i thought it would be... Hehe, this is a good movie for a David H. fan though I thought Shiri A. did a terrible job acting in this movie, but i forgive her.

Comment

I tried to watch this movie just for David Hewlett. Yay - there he is - in deranged scientist mode with longish hair and no shirt! Looked like I might be able to stick this thing out.

Then he morphed and I was left with the rest of the group. I only made it about another 15 minutes before I gave up. I figured DH would be back - he was too high up in the credits - but I couldn't stand to watch it just for him.

Wow - bad scifi is really, really painful to watch.
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I tried watching the movie also but after five, I gave up and went to bed (I watch the late one on SciFi).

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Oh, I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I still think it could have been better. If I'd known how David's character would be, I might not have bothered. Then again, he WAS shirtless for a few scenes...
                        Shirtless David Hewlett was the one good thing about the movie .I was too tired to watch the last half hour or so but I'm guessing I made the right decision by going to bed,huh?
                        nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Apparently.
                          I'll check it out, if it gets an airing on satellite over here,but after reading these reviews,I'm not expecting much !
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                          X