No announcement yet.

stargate final few episodes moan....read it you will agree. contains spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate final few episodes moan....read it you will agree. contains spoilers

Ok so this is maybe not the review people want, but...whatever.
    My final thoughts after watching the last few episodes of SG-1 are mixed..For a great show is coming to un-timely end, much in the same way as babylon 5.
    My thoughts however as I said are mixed, there is also the feeling as there was in Babylon 5's 4th season that it was being rushed. I have this thought that once they annouced the show would not be renewed for an 11th season, that the final episodes were re-written.
    Suddenly without any clue we discovered phase shifting technology, and if i am missing something please correct me, but Merlin was building a weapon...did he really really have time to show them how to build this phase shifting device....where did it come from? For the first time in the shows history, i felt more like we were watching trek than stargate. Nothing flowed anymore, i feel that the Ba'al/Adria storyline could have been expanded on, It would have been great to see Ba'al start to use the Ori army for his wishes, bringing back a much missed element to Stargate, the idea of Adria ascending however is excellant, I just wish we had waited on that for a tv movie and let the show live on through this medium. Now all we are left with is one tv movie that "Wraps up the Ori story arc" To me this is the wrong way to go, we should maybe allow the Ori storyarc to be the major factor in any new tv show that they will produce....but hey I am just a writer, I don't produce television shows, so what do I know.
    Now for Unending, what a hash this was, I know everyone is prasing the episode saying how it will link up nicely to the tv show, but again we seem to jump head first into the episode. It would have been nice to have had a little set up to it first, maybe at the end of the episode we discover that Ori ships are on their way to the Asgard homeworld, or at least some message from the Asgard or Thor himself to come, again for me it felt just way to rushed, killing off the Asgard in the first five minutes, this just doesn't work for me. Don't take me wrong, it was a brilliant stand alone episode, but as a season finale or even a shows finale, i think Babylon 5 and may my tounge be ripped from my body but Star Trek The Next Generation done it better with All Good Things.
    All in all a great tv show let down by the sci-fi channel for obviously forcing the writers to rethink with out hardly any notice. It is such a shame that it had to end like this.

We've had Merlins phase shifting device since season 9.

Comment

yes, we've had the phase shifting device for ages (i think it was found with the camelot stuff), as for the asgard they haven't been involved since the ori came through the supergate and i very much doubt that they would discuss their mass suicide even with the 5th race which is probably why they havent been involved. And the episode was about getting all the asgards technology which, if it had taken an entire episode, would have been silly. I personally think that was a brilliant episode with the time distortion field, but hey, im a newbie too. Does anyone know when the films/miniseries is coming out?

Comment

You say that the final episodes feel as if they were rewritten in a hurry - in short they were.
        I believe it was stated in an interview somewhere that the final episode of the season were hurriedly rewritten in order to compensate for the lack of another season.
        TPTB were put in a difficult position and I think they did their best under the circumstances. Yes, there were some arcs and stories that could`ve done with being expanded upon had there been time - but overall the final eps of S10 were extremely well done.

One plot that is publicly known to have been cut down was the 'controversial Daniel arc'. I believe that originally this arc would`ve been weaved into a number of episode before culminating in the events at the end of 'The Shroud' - events that I personally believe would`ve made a very good season finale.
        This arc was cut down to 1 episode in order to facilitate all the extra arc-ending and plot development that PTB were forced to get in before the end of the season in order to prepare for the movie.

However, while the end of the season was rushed, I do not believe this affected the quality. Every episode from 'The Quest' to 'Unending' was a display of what has made SG-1 last so long. I could rewatch every one repeatedly with no problem.

TPTB stuck two fingers up at Skiffy by keeping the quality up against the ridiculous deadline the channel set for them.
        We should applaud TPTB for their talent and audacity in the face of Skiffy's unexpected dumping of SG-1.

Comment

Well after watching Season Ten I shall quote Alan Partridge in saying it was "Ruddy, bloody fantastic".

I don't think it felt rushed at all, the writing became a lot smoother towards the end, and I enjoyed them as much as any other episodes. As for the Ori storyline I don't think that there are many places left that they can take it besides showing more things to do with the actual Ancients and the Ori. Revealing too much would tell us everything, but keeping it from our point of view trying to use what we have keeps 'the mystery'.

Bring on the movies.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Almighty_Wookie View Post
            Well after watching Season Ten I shall quote Alan Partridge in saying it was "Ruddy, bloody fantastic".

I don't think it felt rushed at all, the writing became a lot smoother towards the end, and I enjoyed them as much as any other episodes. As for the Ori storyline I don't think that there are many places left that they can take it besides showing more things to do with the actual Ancients and the Ori. Revealing too much would tell us everything, but keeping it from our point of view trying to use what we have keeps 'the mystery'.

Bring on the movies.
            4 easy steps how to make people hate you
            Spoiler:
            Ignore them
            Spoiler:
            talk bad about them behind their backs
            Spoiler:
            Use lots of spoiler tags
            Spoiler:
            Your name has to be Rihard Gaberšcek

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chemp View Post

I second that!
              Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                I second that!
                I third it.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I...um, you get the idea

Comment

Hello,

This is somewhat off topic, but does anyone know where the rest of season 10 can be viewed via the web?

Thanks.
                    McKay: "We need the Zed-Pee-Em to power the gate."
                    O'Neill: "Huh?"
                    Daniel: "Zee-Pee-Em. He's Canadian."

Comment

Ok i am not complaing or anything, but i really do feel that something more should have been done....bad guys...although this is going to be up there for my fave episode of sg-1 of all time...was in a whole un-needed, as was family ties, for me i would have spend my time fanning out some of the storyline, making sure it reached a climax that would have been something more than it was....i just showed unending to another fan of stargate who had not seen it....we were both sadly working, and his reaction was....oh is that really the last episode....it didn't "feel" like the end of an era...it needed a cliffhanger...to end to the ori storyarc in one tv movie for me is absurd.
                      My feeling is the last 10 episodes (despite their quality...which was good) were rushed, and the two "fillers" did not need to be there.
                      I will apolgise, I must have missed the phase shifting stuff, I have been out of the loop a bit, too much work not enough play, and I thank you for correcting me on that one..but as a writer myself I just have this hollow feeling inside me, it just could have been so much more....

Comment

By the time the writers knew that it was the last season, there were only 3 episodes left to shoot.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you've said, icelandicwolf (in fact, you're probably a bit more charitable about this last season than I am ). I've already babbled about my unhappiness with Unending in the episode thread, so I won't tick people off by repeating myself, but I felt a similar emptiness about the whole thing. You might want to check out the anti-S10 thread; I think many of the discontented have left to hang around there.

Comment

IMO:
                            "Flesh & Blood" - **** Great!
                            "Morpheous" - * poor
                            "Pegasus Project" - **** Fantastic Content (McKay, Ori BC, Teal'c on Al'kesh, Wraith Hive, Shep+Cam, Morgan), good writing.
                            "Insiders" - ** Fair (if it wasn't for Cliff's great acting it would be poor), horrible plot
                            "Uninvited" - * poor
                            "200" - ***1/2 above average, but didn't live up to the hype
                            "Counterstrike" - **1/2 hair below Average
                            "Company of Thieves" - *** Great content, poor writing
                            "Quest pt. 1" - ***1/2 Good
                            "Quest pt. 2" - **** Great
                            "Line in the Sand" - ***1/2 Good
                            "The Road Not Taken" - ***1/2 Good
                            "The Shroud" - **** Great, the episode was fantastic, but poorly paced. Too slow in some areas, and rushed in others.
                            "Bounty" - *** Average
                            "Bad Guys" - **1/2 a hair below average
                            "Talion" - ***1/2 Good
                            "Family Ties" - **1/2 a hair below average
                            "Dominion" - ***1/2 Good
                            "Unending" - ***1/2 Good, but below average for a SERIES FINALE.
                            I'll be considering "Stargate: The Ark of Truth" the true S10 Finale, SG-1 season are supposed to have 22 eps anyway.

Yes, I rated on a ***** scale, I just didn't see any S10 ep make the cut.
                            sigpic
                            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by suprmn4105 View Post
                              Hello,

This is somewhat off topic, but does anyone know where the rest of season 10 can be viewed via the web?

Thanks.
                              Love to help you but I can't since it's against the rules. Talking about illegal downloading is a big no no.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X