Odyssey as a Generational Ship - Unending SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odyssey as a Generational Ship - Unending SPOILERS

Since Vala and Daniel were a couple for 40 or 50 years, it would be reasonable that they would have had children at some point. I think that instead of forcing Teal'c to remain old, they should have had Vala and Daniel's offspring be the ones to bring the crystal to younger Sam once they reversed the time dilation field.

I think this would have been a very cool twist, plus the children could also have been working with their dad in studying the Asgard database, so our people could use them as experts on the technology and help us refit our current ships more quickly.

Heck, maybe Sam and Teal'c could have had kids, too.

Click below for a full geneology/timeline...
    Spoiler:
    Here is my idea of how the family tree/timeline might have broken down. All years will be denoted as DF or "Dilation Field" to indicate years after the activation of the field. All years are approximate, and does not differentiate between beginning, middle, or toward the end of a year. Just that the event occurred within that year.

All children are educated very well by SG-1 and Asgard holograms, and become quite proficient (to varying degrees and combinations) in physics, linguistics, engineering, and military science.

3 Months DF:
    Daniel and Vala begin romantic relationship.

10 DF:
    After 10 years of being stuck in the time dilation field, Daniel and Vala decide to have a child.

11 DF:
    Vala and Daniel give birth to a daughter, Aeryn (guess where that name came from ).

15 DF:
    After many years of avoiding the issue and self-denial, Sam and Teal'c begin to allow their friendship to develop beyond its current level.

17 DF:
    Sam and Teal'c officially begin a romantic relationship.

20 DF:
    Sam gives birth to a healthy baby boy named Travis. They used Asgard medical technology to ensure that he would have a healthy, human immune system, and not have to rely on tretonin (and they did so with each subsequent child).

21 DF:
    With two children on the ship, SG-1 (which, from this point on, is understood to include General Landry) considers the fact that the Odyssey may have to be a generational ship, and maximizing genetic diversity is vital.

Doing the math, with four adult males and two adult females, it is decided that Vala will bear children from Daniel and General Landry, and Sam will bear children from Teal'c and Cameron. Vala is artificially inseminated with Landry's genetic material, and Sam with Cam's.

22 DF:
    Vala gives birth to another girl (paternally Landry's), Elizabeth, and Sam has a daughter (paternally Cameron's) named Jordan.

26 DF:
    Aeryn is excelling in her military science courses, and adds intensified physical training to her academic schedule.

27 DF:
    Sam gives birth to another boy (paternally Teal'c's) named Cirok.

28 DF:
    Aeryn requests more and more training schedules with Colonel Mitchell, and it is beginning to become clear that she has other motives.

Within a few months, she becomes more open about her feelings for Cameron, but he discourages her from pursuing them because she is only 17, and he is the only other option besides Landry who, is now advanced in age.

Despite Cameron being nearly 70, his physical appearance is that of an average 40 year old. All of the crew have been using Asgard medical technology to extend their healthy years (add to that Mitchell's rigorous workout regime that he religiously follows, and the benefits of not being exposed to solar radiation on a regular basis) which has the added side effect of keeping the crew looking younger. Needless to say he has not lost his natural attractiveness.

30 DF:
    Vala gives birth to a boy (paternally Daniel's) named Skaara.

31 DF:
    Cameron and Aeryn develop mutual feelings for each other, and after grudging encouragement from daddy Daniel, Cameron finally begins a romantic relationship with Aeryn. Being the traditional sort, Cameron and Aeryn are wed in a ceremony conducted by the, now ailing, Hank Landry.

34 DF:
    Aeryn gives birth to a boy (paternally Cameron's) named Benjamin.

35 DF:
    Sam and Vala are reaching the age where it is no longer safe (or desirable) for them to give birth, so Aeryn is passed that paticular torch, and is impregnated with Landry's genetic material.

36 DF:
    Aeryn gives birth to a boy (paternally Landry's) named Hank, Jr.

37 DF:
    General Landry dies peacefully at the age of 99. While this hit everyone on the ship very hard, Hank's death absolutely devastated his paternal daughter, Elizabeth.

Beth sought comfort from Sam and Teal'c's oldest son, Travis, and as a result Travis and Elizabeth begin an adolescent romantic relationship.

40 DF:
    Ever since the death of the General, SG-1's drive to solve their situation stops being to save themselves, but to save their children. With the obvious exception of Teal'c, each member of the team is around 80 years old (even though they look about 55 with the Asgard treatments). Their only interest now is to prepare their children as best as possible before they die.

41 DF:
    The following birthdays are celebrated (excluding SG-1):

Aeryn - 30
    Travis - 21
    Elizabeth - 19
    Jordan - 19
    Cirok - 14
    Skaara - 11
    Benjamin - 7
    Hank, Jr. - 5

43 DF:
    Aeryn has a baby girl (paternally Cameron's) named Jennifer.

44 DF:
    Travis and Elizabeth have a boy named Aiden.

48 DF:
    Sam, with help from the equally gifted Jordan and Cirok, make a break-through in their effort to learn how to reverse time within a localized dilation field.

49 DF:
    Cirok discovers a way to reverse time outside of the field by an additional 80 seconds or so, without creating a paradox, by generating a temperal inversion wave that should dissipate harmlessly (he theorizes that the time-stream has a limited tolerance for self-correction, and the 80-second window would be within that tolerance).

50 DF:
    The final calculations are made and they are ready to begin. It is decided that the offspring of SG-1 will deliver the crystal to young Sam because they would otherwise cease to exist if the plan worked. Since the kids have been studying the Asgard database for their entire lives, the amount of knowledge and expertise they could provide to Earth in refitting their current ships is immense...plus their parents love them and want them to continue existing, if possible.

After tearful good-byes, the ten children/grandchildren of SG-1 are encased in a temperal bubble to protect them from changes in the timeline, and Sam activates the reversal process.

80 seconds before 0 DF:
    Travis grabs his mother's hand while Jordan begins to connect the crystal to the Asgard core.

Travis: "Colonel Carter, wait!"

Sam: "Who are you? What's going on..." But as she looks at the faces of her children, she instantly figures out what must have happened.

Jordan: "This crystal I'm installing will seperate the hyperdrive from the Asgard core. We've got less than 30 seconds!"

Sam: "Do it!"

Jordan: "Okay, I've isolated the core."

Sam: "Carter to Bridge: Jump to hyperspace, now!"

And the Odyssey jumps to safety.

With the children safely in our timeline, here are the questions that I will let remain unanswered:

- Will Carter and Teal'c re-examine their friendship knowing that, under the right circumstances, they would fall in love?

- Will Daniel and Vala express their love for each other, especially in light of the fact that they "hooked up" after only three months?

- Will Cameron and Aeryn (who are now chronologically the same age) fall in love, or was it really the "lack of options" that brought them together in the first place?

- What relationship will SG-1 have with their offspring from another timeline?
    Last edited by Major Tyler; 19 March 2007, 07:46 PM.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

there's also the fact that they'd all die and the child/adult would be left alone on the ship, well maybe with tealc but even he might die before the child, leaving them alone on the ship.

Comment

I think it's perfectly reasonable that they would have children. Even through invitro fertilization. The Odyssey could be a generational ship, with the hope that someday the children (if not the parents) could eventually solve the problem. If they can, they preserve the Asgard legacy and provide Earth with all of the Asgard knowledge and technology. It's more than worth it based on what they stand to gain.

I don't think it's "cruel" because the children wouldn't know what they were missing. People make their own reality, and if the ship is all they know, then they won't feel like they're trapped. Besides, I'd rather be alive on a ship (with the hope of eventual freedom) than to not exist at all.
      Last edited by Major Tyler; 18 March 2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Or instead of having children they could just pot for the Asgard way=cloning...

Comment

Originally posted by nihela View Post
          Or instead of having children they could just pot for the Asgard way=cloning...
          Well, we know how that turned out for the Asgard in the end...besides, reproduction the old-fashioned way would work just fine.
          Last edited by Major Tyler; 18 March 2007, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
            Well, we know how that turned out for the Asgard in the end...besides, reporduction the old-fashioned way would work just fine.
            The Asgards were cloning themsekves for millions of years thus their problem...

Comment

Originally posted by nihela View Post
              The Asgards were cloning themsekves for millions of years thus their problem...
              Again, there's no reason to clone when natural human reproduction works just fine.

Comment

and the fact that their ZPM was almost gone by the end, so it would have only meant they would have died when it ran out

Comment

Originally posted by bniblett View Post
                  and the fact that their ZPM was almost gone by the end, so it would have only meant they would have died when it ran out
                  The didn't say that the ZPM was "almost gone," they just said that there wasn't enough power to reverse time with the field. I would imagine that REVERSING TIME would take quite a large amount of power...whereas providing life support for a few humans would take almost no power at all. They'd have to worry about running out of space before running out of power.

Comment

Ya know - thats one thing that kinda,...confused me. Why were there no kiddies....it woulda worked
                    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Nah, the way it worked was best.

Why introduce an important character in the last episode? There's not enough time, even with the two movies to come, to really get to know the character.

Besides, it's pretty evident in the episode that Vala and Daniel do not have children.

Comment

they must have replicated some condoms.

Seriously though, they probibly figured out it (the ZPM) would die out in there lifetime. And kids would annoy the crap out of you in a confined space like that ship.
                        Hola

Hello

Comment

Dude, MT thats mad cool!

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

If they didn't figure a way out, the Ori blast was going to destroy the ship.

Watching the beam get closer as the years passed, knowing that it was going to destroy the ship someday... it's not a fate I'd want to wish on any child of mine.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

First I was wondering something. If Vala and Daniel were having relations with each other then how come they didn't have children or do you think they asked Sam to either make Birth control pills or condoms? I mean I think that would be really embarrassing to ask Sam

Spoiler:
                              :"Um Sam could me and Daniel ask you for something?"
                              :"Sure what do you need?"
                              :"Well we need some..."
                              "We need some condoms."
                              "WHAT?"
                              "I told you this would be embarrassing."
                              "Oh come on Daniel, you know we need to ask for them."
                              "Its no problem at all"
                              "Thanks"
                              "Told you it wouldn't be a problem"
                              "You were right, I guess"

also maybe the reason that Vala was crying was because she had a miscarriage or something because they couldn't have children. I know that she may have been crying because she was stuck on a ship but she was stuck with the one she loved and he loved her back so go ahead and speculate
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X