SCI-FI Help

Ok i am comming to a dead end here
    Whats some good SCI-FI to get into
    I have currently watched
    Roswell
    Stargate (duh lol)
    Star Trek
    Dead Like Me

But i need something good i liked the style of dead like me, and i loved roswell but alas no longer in production so i need something to fill the voids

I don't believe there is anything currently like DLM on air.

You could always try Doctor Who and Torchwood, Heroes, Firefly*, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Earth Final Conflict*, Sliders*, I hear Supernatural is good, John Doe* (not exactly scifi), Red Dwarf*, The Dead Zone, The Invisible Man* (2000 version), Space: Above and Beyond*, Smallville.

*No longer being made.

This is all I can think of at the moment. What you've seen doesn't really tell me what you like, as each show you've listed are very different to one another.

sigpic

Comment

try Farscape, or Babylon Five, Quantum Leap is good, if your in the mood for something strange, the Prisoner.
      but none of those are being made anymore or are anything like DLM, lol sorry!
      To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Never watched Dead Like Me so I can't comment. But some of my favorite sci fi includes Farscape, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. A lot of good stuff is off the air now, but the advent of TV on DVD has made that a moot point. If you have some time to kill, why not go to your nearest movie rental joint and just start renting? Series by series, go alphabetically. ALF through X-Men...
        sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

i found farscape plain strange, although i did jump into it min season2 lol so that might explain why
          never got into battlestar

Currently seen all the 4400 eps and Lost, sliders, dr who, tourchwood

Might watch firefly and heroes

Comment

If you liked Dead Like Me, you might want to try Wonderfalls it just feels similar. Farscape is strange throughout, it took a while to grow on me, but now I love it.
            I also recommend Firefly, like so many others. Unfortunately Firefly and Wonderfalls are both victims of Fox 1 season disease.

Comment

Originally posted by danb00 View Post
              Ok i am comming to a dead end here
              Whats some good SCI-FI to get into
              I have currently watched
              Roswell
              Stargate (duh lol)
              Star Trek
              Dead Like Me

But i need something good i liked the style of dead like me, and i loved roswell but alas no longer in production so i need something to fill the voids
              Stargate: Are you watching both shows?
              Star Trek: The original, or the overall franchise?

I'd recommend the TV series Firefly and Serenity, the movie that wraps up the show's main plot.

Comment

Try The Dresden Files too - genre show with supernatural elements etc but got a good humour to it too kinda like DLM did. It airs Sunday nights on SciFi.
                sigpic

Comment

Supernatural. One look and your hooked! Well, my daughter was after I introduced her to it. Buy that season 1 boxset and you'll be wanting more!

The Dead Zone. Been around for five seasons and the sixth is showing this summer. It quietly gets on with good stories.

Farscape. For the sheer innovative style.

The Outer Limits 1995-2001 Some interesting stories. Made by some of the people who gave us the show we all love on GW!

Red Dwarf - The best Sci Fi comedy in the universe!

Eureka- Quirky town, strange goings on.... am really getting into this now.

Comment

Don't know if you're into reading scifi, but there's a new book series coming out in a couple of months called STAR ROGUE and should be worth a look.
                    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                      Don't know if you're into reading scifi, but there's a new book series coming out in a couple of months called STAR ROGUE and should be worth a look.
                      Sounds good - who is the author?
                      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                      Quint Studer

Comment

Try:
                        Firefly
                        Farscape (but watch it from the start this time!)
                        Battlestar Galactica
                        The 4400
                        Doctor Who
                        Torchwood
                        Supernatural
                        The Dresden Files

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                          If you liked Dead Like Me, you might want to try Wonderfalls it just feels similar. Farscape is strange throughout, it took a while to grow on me, but now I love it.
                          I also recommend Firefly, like so many others. Unfortunately Firefly and Wonderfalls are both victims of Fox 1 season disease.
                          I don't think Wonderfalls is out on DVD- I'd love to see that as well.

I recommend Battlestar Galactica- there is currently a miniseries and the first two seasons on DVD(the miniseries is included in with season one), and season three will be out come summer, followed by a movie in the fall, and season four on tv next January- so that would be something to keep you going for quite awhile. And I believe Ronald D. Moore who is the creater/executive producer was a writer/producer on Roswell.

Or I recommend Firefly- it's cheap to buy, and pretty much everyone I've heard of who's seen it, likes (but usually loves) it.

Or there's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel if you like fantasy (with amazing characters and humour).

Comment

I don't think The X-Files have been mentioned! Now there is a series that would last you awhile.....If you make it through the last few seasons even (I understand a lot of people didn't). Personally, I'm just starting season four tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Or I recommend Firefly- it's cheap to buy, and pretty much everyone I've heard of who's seen it, likes (but usually loves) it.
                              Hm. I've seen five episodes and I don't like it, but it's not totally stupid either unlike most modern "sci-fi".

What isn't stupid and is available on DVD?:

Stargate SG-1
                              Babylon 5
                              Star Trek - The Next Generation
                              classic Doctor Who
                              the first two seasons of Blake's 7
                              The Prisoner
                              Star Trek

I also like Sapphire & Steel, but it's not to everyone's taste, and "smart" and "stupid" don't enter into it. It's all about atmosphere.

Also, Red Dwarf and Lexx are *deliberately* stupid. I'd advise people to start with season 2 or 3 of Red Dwarf, and season 4 of Lexx. Note: Lexx is *not* suitable for people who can't stand sexual content. Like Stargate SG-1, Lexx can be bought in season sets or in individual issues of three or four episodes.
                              Last edited by Wordsmit2; 31 March 2007, 02:56 AM. Reason: forgot one
                              Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Working...
                              X