Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction?

I'll say it again! Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction? I'm very very very tired of this relationship stuff!

This is a show about imagination, invention discovery and wonder not touchy feely mushy stuff! If I hear another shipper complaint I'll sink their battleship I swear .

I'm also very tired of SPACE POLITICS! If I wanted a spacy version of CSPAN then I'd ask the announcers on that show to carry zats and tricorders .

I want shows about history and science and technology like the early seasons............

If you don't like what the show is, don't watch it. I for one, like the fact that we have to deal with the consequences of romping around discovering neat stuff. SG1 has always dealt with this, and in a season where they are trying to tie up the loose ends that they can, it's unsurprising that they are trying to address that.

Oh, and if you don't think there is politics in science, I'll be glad to recommend some books for you. Or bring you to a few cocktail parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer

If you don't like what the show is, don't watch it. I for one, like the fact that we have to deal with the consequences of romping around discovering neat stuff. SG1 has always dealt with this, and in a season where they are trying to tie up the loose ends that they can, it's unsurprising that they are trying to address that.

Oh, and if you don't think there is politics in science, I'll be glad to recommend some books for you. Or bring you to a few cocktail parties.
      I agree you can always change the channel.

Comment

i believe there's a TON of politics in science but that's not the point - and i wouldn't mind a few episodes like that - just not ALL of them!

also i'm hate that they supersam almost every serving of science fiction from stargate let her be wrong for once

Comment

Originally posted by glowingjellyfish
          let her be wrong for once
          With McKay banished to a distant galaxy, where's the fun in that?

Also, I love "Space CSPAN" episodes. Bring them on.
          "It's a plant."

Comment

Sink my battleship if you like, but we'll only man the lifeboats.

As for mushy moments and the like, the whole reason we are complaining is that there aren't enough of them.

And politics, as boring as I find the ones involved in Stargate, it's an essential part of the show. If they could go treapsing across the universe with no consequences, we'd have a permanent "Window of Opportunity" type epsisode, consisting of ship, gratuitous violence and the odd game of golf.

One episode of this was fabulous, but every week for eight years? No thank you!
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

i believe there's a TON of politics in science but that's not the point - and i wouldn't mind a few episodes like that - just not ALL of them!

also i'm hate that they supersam almost every serving of science fiction from stargate let her be wrong for once
              Remember Prodigy? We never found out if she was right or not. I personally back Hailey on this one.

Comment

okay, i should elaborate - let her be wrong ocassionally thank the gods that we have mckay - both witty brilliant and realistically portrayed

Comment

McKay?! That jumped up, arrogant, bolshy, evil (three hundred and twenty two adjectives later) excuse for a bloke?

There again, better match than

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Remember Prodigy? We never found out if she was right or not. I personally back Hailey on this one.
                    I actually thought Hailey was more likely right too.

Comment

She was even brighter than Carter (apparantly) and her explanation made *so* much more sense. Carter's explantation was more what I expected from Hailey (it was over simplified, too Jack-like).

Comment

hailey was another cut out stand up poster person - NO more supersaming! or i'll return my order for a freshly prepared one

i'm guessing from bloke and bloshy( what's that?) you're british?

Comment

bloke is man and bolshy means pushy/stubborn (could possibly use to describe Sam and defo for Hailey).

Oh, another one I use a lot is mardy which means stroppy, sulky or childish. Even the other girls at university don't understand that because it's a northern English word!

Comment

I'll say it again! Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction?
                            (...snip...)
                            I want shows about history and science and technology like the early seasons.
                            I hear you. But it doesn't look like we'll be getting as much as we used to any more. I've been taking more SF books out of the library than I used to, and it's a jolly decent patch for the lessened discovery / wonder / science

Madeleine

Comment

I'll say it again! Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction? I'm very very very tired of this relationship stuff!

This is a show about imagination, invention discovery and wonder not touchy feely mushy stuff! If I hear another shipper complaint I'll sink their battleship I swear .

I'm also very tired of SPACE POLITICS! If I wanted a spacy version of CSPAN then I'd ask the announcers on that show to carry zats and tricorders .

I want shows about history and science and technology like the early seasons............
                              First, I'd just like to say how happy I am to see a Science and Tech section here at the Forum.

Now, to the topic at hand.

While "discovery" and "wonder" may be a matter of opinion, which episodes are bereft of science? And by science, do you mean the impossible, move a runestone, wave a hand, alien hocus pocus, or the somewhat more down-to-earth stuff where technobabble is the magic formula?

No, really, I'm serious; what's "science" fiction, the snazzy special effects that are effortlessly(lazily) explained away as advanced alien science, or trying to grasp the shape of the advanced, alien cube-shaped object through 21st century round hole-understanding?

It takes a lot of technobabble to do that, and Sam - as the designated technobabbler, is not so much always right as always aware of that fact.

JMO.
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                              X