PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction?

glowingjellyfish
September 11th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I'll say it again! Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction? I'm very very very tired of this relationship stuff!

This is a show about imagination, invention discovery and wonder not touchy feely mushy stuff! If I hear another shipper complaint I'll sink their battleship I swear :D .

I'm also very tired of SPACE POLITICS! If I wanted a spacy version of CSPAN then I'd ask the announcers on that show to carry zats and tricorders :p .

I want shows about history and science and technology like the early seasons............ :S

Major Fischer
September 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
:rolleyes:

If you don't like what the show is, don't watch it. I for one, like the fact that we have to deal with the consequences of romping around discovering neat stuff. SG1 has always dealt with this, and in a season where they are trying to tie up the loose ends that they can, it's unsurprising that they are trying to address that.

Oh, and if you don't think there is politics in science, I'll be glad to recommend some books for you. Or bring you to a few cocktail parties.

Roatbaum
September 11th, 2004, 12:06 PM
:rolleyes:

If you don't like what the show is, don't watch it. I for one, like the fact that we have to deal with the consequences of romping around discovering neat stuff. SG1 has always dealt with this, and in a season where they are trying to tie up the loose ends that they can, it's unsurprising that they are trying to address that.

Oh, and if you don't think there is politics in science, I'll be glad to recommend some books for you. Or bring you to a few cocktail parties.I agree you can always change the channel.

glowingjellyfish
September 11th, 2004, 12:40 PM
i believe there's a TON of politics in science :( but that's not the point - and i wouldn't mind a few episodes like that - just not ALL of them!

also i'm hate that they supersam almost every serving of science fiction from stargate :D let her be wrong for once

Chairman Mao
September 11th, 2004, 01:24 PM
let her be wrong for once

With McKay banished to a distant galaxy, where's the fun in that?

Also, I love "Space CSPAN" episodes. Bring them on. :D

Tracy Jane
September 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Sink my battleship if you like, but we'll only man the lifeboats.

As for mushy moments and the like, the whole reason we are complaining is that there aren't enough of them.

And politics, as boring as I find the ones involved in Stargate, it's an essential part of the show. If they could go treapsing across the universe with no consequences, we'd have a permanent "Window of Opportunity" type epsisode, consisting of ship, gratuitous violence and the odd game of golf.

One episode of this was fabulous, but every week for eight years? No thank you!

Tracy Jane
September 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM
i believe there's a TON of politics in science :( but that's not the point - and i wouldn't mind a few episodes like that - just not ALL of them!

also i'm hate that they supersam almost every serving of science fiction from stargate :D let her be wrong for once

Remember Prodigy? We never found out if she was right or not. I personally back Hailey on this one.

glowingjellyfish
September 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
:rolleyes: okay, i should elaborate - let her be wrong ocassionally :p thank the gods that we have mckay - both witty brilliant and realistically portrayed

Tracy Jane
September 11th, 2004, 01:31 PM
McKay?! That jumped up, arrogant, bolshy, evil (three hundred and twenty two adjectives later) excuse for a bloke?

There again, better match than :eek:

Major Fischer
September 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Remember Prodigy? We never found out if she was right or not. I personally back Hailey on this one.

I actually thought Hailey was more likely right too.

Tracy Jane
September 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
She was even brighter than Carter (apparantly) and her explanation made *so* much more sense. Carter's explantation was more what I expected from Hailey (it was over simplified, too Jack-like).

glowingjellyfish
September 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM
hailey was another cut out stand up poster person - NO more supersaming! :S or i'll return my order for a freshly prepared one :p

i'm guessing from bloke and bloshy( what's that?) you're british?

Tracy Jane
September 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
bloke is man and bolshy means pushy/stubborn (could possibly use to describe Sam and defo for Hailey).

Oh, another one I use a lot is mardy which means stroppy, sulky or childish. Even the other girls at university don't understand that because it's a northern English word!

Madeleine
September 11th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I'll say it again! Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction?
(...snip...)
I want shows about history and science and technology like the early seasons.

I hear you. But it doesn't look like we'll be getting as much as we used to any more. I've been taking more SF books out of the library than I used to, and it's a jolly decent patch for the lessened discovery / wonder / science :)

Tok'Ra Hostess
April 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I'll say it again! Where's all the Discovery and Wonder and SCIENCE in the fiction? I'm very very very tired of this relationship stuff!

This is a show about imagination, invention discovery and wonder not touchy feely mushy stuff! If I hear another shipper complaint I'll sink their battleship I swear :D .

I'm also very tired of SPACE POLITICS! If I wanted a spacy version of CSPAN then I'd ask the announcers on that show to carry zats and tricorders :p .

I want shows about history and science and technology like the early seasons............ :S

First, I'd just like to say how happy I am to see a Science and Tech section here at the Forum.

Now, to the topic at hand.

While "discovery" and "wonder" may be a matter of opinion, which episodes are bereft of science? And by science, do you mean the impossible, move a runestone, wave a hand, alien hocus pocus, or the somewhat more down-to-earth stuff where technobabble is the magic formula?

No, really, I'm serious; what's "science" fiction, the snazzy special effects that are effortlessly(lazily) explained away as advanced alien science, or trying to grasp the shape of the advanced, alien cube-shaped object through 21st century round hole-understanding?

It takes a lot of technobabble to do that, and Sam - as the designated technobabbler, is not so much always right as always aware of that fact.

JMO. :)

Klems
April 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM
No, no, I see the point.

I miss the episodes that were like "The Torment of Tantalus" and "The Fifth Race". To me, those were the very essence of Stargate. The show has kind of been lacking in that area lately, which is why I've sort of changed over to Atlantis now. The stories are just better. And as a matter of fact, I do change the channel when a crummy SG-1 is on like "Avatar". I usually end up popping in one of my box set DVD's and watching reruns.

Hatusu
April 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I love those episodes the most. The black hole episode, I think it was called "A Matter of Time", is my favorite science episode. Of course that led to the cliff hanger blowing up a sun episode.

But then one of my favorite episodes is "The Abyss", and that's pretty much all relationship and dialogue. I still marvel that an episode about torture was so funny.

I have noticed that we're getting less science, technology and space shows. At least this year we had "Reckoning" on "SG1" and the "caught in the wormhole" episode, "Thirty Eight Minutes" on "Atlantis".

Madeleine
April 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I'd distinguish between *my* kind of Science Fiction and Tech .

My kind of Science Fiction is stuff like blowing up a sun by dropping a wormhole-linked gate in. Or stuff like using Gravity Adjusting Walls as a way of making a doorless room into an inescapable prison cell. It's where the concept is simple and elegant and can be understood by everyone - characters on the show and viewers alike. We don't need to understand the mechanics, we just need to see something that makes sense (in terms of the show) and is in itself an interesting contribution to the story.

Tech is stuff like how fast a hatak can travel, or what happens when you pull out a green crystal and put in a long white one, or anything where people say "recallibrate", "invert" or use decimal fractions. It's stuff made up by the writers to give flavour to a SF show, and having made it up they can do what they want with it. Changing those crystals around will make the ship go faster, jam the doors on level 3, and put light music on the loudspeakers.

I like having the tech around, it's mostly well used. But the ingeneous *concepts* are what I love. Matter of Time is easilly the best example of SF done as I like it. The ideas are simple to explain, the time-dilation is a particularly interesting menace, and the problem was solved with a trick that was a million miles from the "lets isolate the phase emission colis and reboot the ion percolator" guff that Voyager used to give us, and was a proper SF sort of idea.