How is Vala settling in with the team? spoliers for S9/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Vala settling in with the team? spoliers for S9/10

How do you think Vala is doing as a member of SG-1?

me, i think she has become to earth like to soon unlikle teal'c.

your thoughts.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Personally I think she is settling in fine with the team and there's a sense of bonding between them and that they really do care for her and vice versa.
    sigpic

Comment

I think Vala is settling in--in an unrealistic way. It's too easy for her. She was a thief who enslaved people and tried to steal the Prometheus. She had a history of stealing and lying and yet--none of that was deeply addressed in a realistic way.

She was never accountable for her crimes.
      She only has scenes with Daniel. The majority of her "bonding" is with Daniel.
      Her acceptance was far too easy. Remeber Jonas--his acceptance was rocky.

But then again, that is the writing for the character which is over all very poor.

However, she is cute and spunky. So, if all you want to see is cute and spunky Vala--then she fits in great.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I think you just don't like her, everything you mentioned has been addressed. I think considering her character her settling in was VERY realistic, I don't know how they could of done it any better, and I'd say it was definatly more rocky than Jonas, especially considering what he had done.

Accountable for her crimes? 'The Powers That Be'. Sure most of her bonding has been with Daniel, but so what? That doesn't mean there hasn't been a fair bit of bonding with other people, especially since 'Family Ties'.

I'd have to disagree about the writing too, I'd say she is probably the best written female character Stargate has ever had, not that female writing has been particulary good in the past though...
        Last edited by jenks; 06 March 2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

It can also be said that Jonas' assimilation was MUCH less rocky than Tealc's in Season One. It could be argued that Earth is becoming more used to the idea of taking on alien allies to bolster their staff.

Earth is, after all, a intergalactic power now, given the prestige of defeating the Goauld and Replicators. Now with a Pegasus Galaxy base of operations, they damn sure can't consider themselves isolationists.

Given that Vala single handedly held the Ori out of the galaxy for six months, and returned posessing incredible amount of "behind enemy lines" intel, I'd say it makes perfect sense.

Comment

I think she has settled in really well, she seems to get on with the rest of the team and has been a great source of laughter since she joined.

Carter: Sir I've been thinking.
            O'Neill: I'd be shocked if you stopped Carter

Comment

I agree, I think that she is beginning to settle in nicely. I find it to be especially true of these final ten episodes (well, at least from "The Quest Pt.2" through "Family Ties"). Daniel was her way of getting into SG-1, so I think it made sense for the writers to focus on and develop their relationship first. Once they had established the character as a legitimate part of the team, they started to really work on her relationships with everyone else.

Vala is one of my favorite SF women, on ANY show (and I'd argue that she has infinitely more backstory/character development than either of the ladies over on SGA). It's just so refreshing to see a female character with a sense of humor.

So, yes, I would say Vala is settling in. Of course, it would have been nice to see how she would have faired through the course of another season

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
                It can also be said that Jonas' assimilation was MUCH less rocky than Tealc's in Season One. It could be argued that Earth is becoming more used to the idea of taking on alien allies to bolster their staff.

Earth is, after all, a intergalactic power now, given the prestige of defeating the Goauld and Replicators. Now with a Pegasus Galaxy base of operations, they damn sure can't consider themselves isolationists.

Given that Vala single handedly held the Ori out of the galaxy for six months, and returned posessing incredible amount of "behind enemy lines" intel, I'd say it makes perfect sense.
                Perhaps your right--I really don't like the character. But the reason stated is WHY I don't like the character. (I was excited when I heard CB was coming to the show--because I am a CB fan, loved Farscape--but Vala is rediculas.)

Oh, yeah--realistic? Right? If Vala was real she wouldn't be let in 100 feet of the gate or the SGC. She was SUDDENLY all trustable in what? 2 episodes? Good grief. A thief and an enlsaver would NOT be REFORMED in that unrealistic time frame. It was too easy for them accept her! She was all reformed and "changed because of Daniel." Anyone with any real experience with troubled people can tell you that you never change for some else. Daniel didn't make her change. The bad writing did! If Vala wanted to change she would have to had gone through support groups, counceling, working at gaining trust. That would have taken years--not a mere few episodes.

Heck, is a known thief with a past like Vala's be welcomed into your home with in two visits? I wouldn't let her in my home. She would rob me blind!

I wouldn't use "assimilation." It implies Jonas had the problems with the SGC when in fact, Jack had problems with Jonas. Hammond had a problem with Teal'c. But--who had a problems with Vala? I wouldn't say Daniel on that question. He's gotten too far out of character to be Daniel anymore.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Teal'c was a murderer and served a man who wanted to enslave all of Earth yet he was trusted because he helped SG-1, and on Jack's word. Vala was also trusted because she warned Earth about the Ori, and on Daniel's word because he knows her well.

Vala is a small time crook in terms of the galaxy, and people are forgetting that the capture of the Prometheus was completely on accident because Vala's ship broke down. not to mention that she didn't harm a single person in that incident. [mod snip - please do not insult other fans for their opinions.]
                  Last edited by Madeleine; 08 May 2007, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I think you just don't like her, everything you mentioned has been addressed. I think considering her character her settling in was VERY realistic, I don't know how they could of done it any better, and I'd say it was definatly more rocky than Jonas, especially considering what he had done.

Accountable for her crimes? 'The Powers That Be'. Sure most of her bonding has been with Daniel, but so what? That doesn't mean there hasn't been a fair bit of bonding with other people, especially since 'Family Ties'.

I'd have to disagree about the writing too, I'd say she is probably the best written female character Stargate has ever had, not that female writing has been particulary good in the past though...
                    Agreed. All the issues with vala have been adressed and I personally think she has fit in quite nicely. I was thrilled for her when she finally became a full fledged member of the team. She more than deserved it IMO. Disagree on the writting of female characters but agree vala has been written well.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

She's settling in very well. Not only has she forged bonds between her teammates, she's also been extremely helpful on several occasions.

I wouldn't mind her on my team.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        She's settling in very well. Not only has she forged bonds between her teammates, she's also been extremely helpful on several occasions.

Agreed.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

i sometimes forget she's an alien ...

she fits into earth culture to well.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

I totally agree. I think Vala has become a very competent member of the team.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by travis View Post
                              Personally I think she is settling in fine with the team and there's a sense of bonding between them and that they really do care for her and vice versa.
                              There definitely is a sense of bonding both ways. She really has grown on them over the course of her time on the team. And I think she has learned some very valuable lessons from the rest of them.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X