Why must SG-1 end on a serialized note?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, let's not compare SG-1 to DS9 or any other show. SG-1 is it's own show, so unless it's done something that's already been done before on another show, let's judge SG-1 on it's own merits, OK? Comparing it to Atlantis is OK by me, though, since they're set in the same creative world.

For the show's entire run, we've had individual episodes, two-parters, and trilogies. Have we had stories that spanned four or more episodes (back-to-back)? I can't think of any. When the Goa'uld and Replicators were finally defeated, it happened in two episodes, "Reckoning, Parts 1 & 2." The Ori have only been around for two years. The plot will be resolved in The Ark of Truth. If the Goa'uld and Replicators can be defeated in two episodes, then the Ori can be defeated in a movie.

Why does the show have to end with the Ori? I'm glad it's final episodes are mostly independent stories. If the Ori were in every episode, I would have stopped watching.

Technically, The Goa'uld was defeated in Reckoning and Threads.

If we're allowing Atlantis, I can say that "The Siege" lasted from the end of The Brotherhood to The Siege Part 3. That's a little more than 5 episodes.

As for SG1, the similar Season 1 finale "arc" started in "There But For The Grace of God", and concluded in The Serpent's Lair; that's 4 episodes. The Lost City and New Order can be seen as a 4-episode arc, I believe (not to mention the small bit of Inauguration that ties into the Hammond thing). Also, there is a running plot thread going from "Double Jeopardy" to "Threshold", that's another 4 episodes.

For Season 9:

Spoiler:
    Arthur's Mantle to Flesh and Blood can be seen as another loose arc; another 4 episodes.

Anyway, I guess my point is, with a serialization, one can evolve the plot a lot further in the extra time, and make it more "epic", which IMHO, makes for a great finale. Note that, as with many of the stuff I've listed above, I'm not talking about a tightly-knit arc, but a loose one.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Technically, The Goa'uld was defeated in Reckoning and Threads.
      The Goa'uld Empire was defeated in "Reckoning." That left us with Anubis and Ba'al. Anubis was defeated in the following episode, "Threads." Ba'al is still at large. However, one man does not equate an empire.

If we're allowing Atlantis, I can say that "The Siege" lasted from the end of The Brotherhood to The Siege Part 3. That's a little more than 5 episodes.
      Let's go ahead and count "The Brotherhood" since they almost got a ZPM. That's seven episodes, the last five from Season 1, and the first two from Season 2.

As for SG1, the similar Season 1 finale "arc" started in "There But For The Grace of God", and concluded in The Serpent's Lair; that's 4 episodes. The Lost City and New Order can be seen as a 4-episode arc, I believe (not to mention the small bit of Inauguration that ties into the Hammond thing). Also, there is a running plot thread going from "Double Jeopardy" to "Threshold", that's another 4 episodes.
      I would include "Inauguration," but I'd count "Lost City" as one episode as that's how it's presented on DVD. We have that four-episode arc, and then we have the "Exodus" / "Enemies" / "Threshold" trilogy or tetralogy if you include "Double Jeopardy."

For Season 9:
      Spoiler:
      Arthur's Mantle to Flesh and Blood can be seen as another loose arc; another 4 episodes.
      Indeed.

Anyway, I guess my point is, with a serialization, one can evolve the plot a lot further in the extra time, and make it more "epic", which IMHO, makes for a great finale. Note that, as with many of the stuff I've listed above, I'm not talking about a tightly-knit arc, but a loose one.
      Right, so you had in mind something like two build up episodes, an epic two-parter, and then the finale.

Season 8 had an epic 5-episode ending. After that, the producers decided, "Gee, SG-1 will never be cancelled, let's plan as far ahead as Season 11!" Then SciFi cancels the show when there's only three episodes left to produce. "OOPS!" Yeah, that's why we're getting "Dominon" and "Unending" which will probably be a two-parter with two different stories similar to Season 6's "Prometheus / "Unnatural Selection" two-parter.

It all boils down to the fact that the producers thought they'd return for Season 11, and then SciFi cancelled the show at the last minute.

Comment

Yeah, I can drink to that. However, I think Unending is a complete standalone, which I don't mind as long as it's done well (and unlike TATV, no strange, stupid deaths are in the spoilers).

Believe me, I'm not angry about this when I consider the behind-the-scenes events.

Comment

I myself dont mind STARGATE SG-1 Ending , It has been a great 10 Years , and hope that SG-A gets a shot a beating SG-1 in the Longest SciFi TV Series out there ...

What i dont like is that The Goa'ulds , and Replicators got to be built up for 8 great seasons . We got to see alot of great Goa'ulds and powerful Goa'ulds come from the Show .. Ba'al and the others might not have had full back to back to back series , or storylines , but they got to be seen here and there , talked out , and you knew that at some point the Goa'ulds would have been taken out ONE by ONE some how ...

As for the Ori storyline , well i just dont feel like it got the AIR time like it should have gotten ... The Writters didnt get a big chance to build the Ori to a Goa'uld like character . Yet now that this storyline get off , they have to end it ..

Yeah i can ***** and complain that SG-1 got screwed , at the sametime , SG-1 got to last for a great long time . What i can say is that the HEADS UP at Sci-Fi did in a big way screw the Writters .. How did they do this ...

Well lets see...

1. The Ori storyline didnt get or have time to really become big , Goa'uld and replicators got a good deal of time to grow , and learn about .

2. Instead of telling them before they started filming , Sci-Fi says something half way throw season 10 ..

What Sci-Fi could have been nice to do , and NBC as well seeing how they own Sci-Fi ...

They could have got with MGM , and told tehm hey SG-1 isnt doing what we want it to do as in Ratings , we think its time for the SHOW to end . Couse of this , we are giving you a few choices ...

Choice 1 . We give you a Season 11 , but not a full 20 EPS. rather 10 EPS , so you could finish the Stroyline your in at this moment ..

Choice 2 . We take the Bugget for the 11th Season , and we go in with you to do a 4 Part Mini Series , 2 Hours long for each part of the Mini Series ... ( This gives the writters 8 good hours for a nice ENDING ) ...

Choice 3 . STARGET SG-1 will bet a 11th Season , but it will be the last for Season for SG-1 , a Full 20 Eps . So tell the Writers that this is it for the show ...

Anyone of the Choices would have let the Writters build up the Ori more then what they are now , and would have made the SciFi Network , as well as NBC look good to the fans .. Yes not all the fans would have been happy , but you would have less Pissoff Fans with one of thoes Choices ..

I guess what im saying , is yes The Goa'ulds , and Replicators where taken out in some way with 2 EPS. , but they had the last 8 Years to grow , and be built up . Where the Ori got what 2 Season , and most f that time was to build up the Actors ..

Comment

As for four parters, there was Double Jeopardy/ Exodus/ Enemies and Threshold in seasons 4/5. As was the serialised note between Meridian/ Revelations/ Redemption 1+2 and Decent.

For all it's worth, by the way, the Goa'uld might have been defeated in Reckoning/ Threads, but the war against them had spanned through 8 years. Likewise, the NID theme has been running for the past 10 in differnet guises, the Ancients story has arced between seasons.... what I'm trying to say is that Stargate never abandoned its topics, it just seralised things differently, resulting in a lot of stand alone episodes.... that are connected. The Orii arc has onyl eixsted for two years, in contrast to the 8 Goa'uld years. Stands to reason 2 years isn't enough
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

not to mention full circle/fallen/homecoming
              VL2DY4 - Why drink and drive when you can boost and slide...

Comment

I think the main concern for some fans here is that SG-1 is ending with an episode that doesnt conclude the main story arc. I love the Ori story and truly believe that they need more than two seasons. That said I am glad we still have the standalones that have been a big part of SG-1 since the begining. We have had many stories that have played through many episodes. I feel they chose the route they did ie unending mainly b/c they want to end Sg-1 on a high note. The plot sounds similar to how Brad Kern ended Charmed. I feel this will end Sg-1 well and we can have the closure to the Ori storyline in Ark of Truth. I like this route they have chosen and eagerly await these final episodes and the release of the movies.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

SG-1 has had multi-episode arcs that ended the current season and began the next, so I understand why fans expected SG-1 to end with a five-episode arc. However, a stand-alone episode can be just as good as multi-episode arc. The way I see it, the middle of Season 10 spent a lot of time on the Ori, so the rest of the season (except for "Dominion") is stand-alone with the Ori returning front and center for the epic movie where they are defeated.

Multi-Epsisode Arc or Movie

I'd rather it be wrapped up in a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    SG-1 has had multi-episode arcs that ended the current season and began the next, so I understand why fans expected SG-1 to end with a five-episode arc. However, a stand-alone episode can be just as good as multi-episode arc. The way I see it, the middle of Season 10 spent a lot of time on the Ori, so the rest of the season (except for "Dominion") is stand-alone with the Ori returning front and center for the epic movie where they are defeated.

Multi-Epsisode Arc or Movie

I'd rather it be wrapped up in a movie.
                    Agree.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X