This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM Planning HD Movie Channel

(Not necessarily "Stargate" news, but related to MGM.)

March 1, 2007
    MGM Planning HD Movie Channel

By James Hibberd
    Venerable movie studio MGM is in conversations with cable and satellite operators to launch its first domestic television channel: MGM HD.

The studio hopes to launch MGM HD by the end of the year as a movie channel drawing from its library of 4,100 theatrical titles-about 1,200 of which currently are available in the high-definition format-and hundreds of hours of television content.

"We have the strongest HD library of any of the studios," said Douglas Lee, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Digital Media, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios. "We've been developing the concept for the past year. We've talked to a lot of cable, satellite and telco companies, and people have been receptive."

DirecTV plans to launch 100 national HD channels by the end of the year; currently there are fewer than half that number available. Recently, several top cable networks including TBS, USA and FX announced they will launch HD simulcasts as part of DirecTV's HD initiative, which is expected to roll out this fall.

Though Mr. Lee declined to single out any video provider as a frontrunner to launch the channel, the DirecTV HD effort has caused an industrywide scramble for more bandwidth and HD content to remain competitive.

"When DirecTV launches their new HD package, that's going to raise the bar for all the other providers," Mr. Lee said.

MGM HD would join HDNet and another studio-based effort, Universal HD, among the few stand-alone, non-premium national HD movie channels. Like HDNet, the MGM plan currently calls for the titles to air uncensored.

Mr. Lee said MGM HD will stand apart from the competition.

"[The other channels have] shown there's an appetite for HD entertainment services," he said. "But clearly one branded MGM is stronger branded."

Some titles available for MGM HD include "The Usual Suspects," "Tank Girl," "Cherry 2000" and "RoboCop."

MGM library has changed hands over the years, most significantly in 1985, when Ted Turner acquired the studio's back catalog of classic titles. Today MGM owns nearly all of its post-1986 library, all of the United Artists library, a majority of the Orion Pictures film and television library and the pre-1996 Samuel Goldwyn library. MGM began converting its library titles to HD years ago as various licensing deals called for HD content.

MGM also owns and operates a standard-definition network, The MGM Channel, which is available in 120 foreign territories.
    Source: TVweek.com
    http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11628

As much as I'd love Stargate's 3rd series to air on this channel, both for MGM's management & for HD Stargate, I think HD-only would hurt it's viewership. Most of my friends don't own an HDTV (not that any of them watch Stargate), but I doubt most people own one. Simultaneous airing would thrill me, but not exclusive.

I just hope MGM negotiates themselves into a basic cable package. I wouldn't pay more than $3 a month for HD Stargate.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
      As much as I'd love Stargate's 3rd series to air on this channel, both for MGM's management & for HD Stargate, I think HD-only would hurt it's viewership. Most of my friends don't own an HDTV (not that any of them watch Stargate), but I doubt most people own one. Simultaneous airing would thrill me, but not exclusive.
      It says it is a "movie channel". Period. I think it is a way to re-purpose product they already own. I doubt it would be even in the consideration set for a place to run the third series. As you indicate, the viewership couldn't justify the budget of series.

However, if the Stargate movies (both old and new) are made HD, they could end up on the channel eventually.

They are investing in the future. HD may not be big now, but sales are brisk and it will grow fairly rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
        It says it is a "movie channel". Period. I think it is a way to re-purpose product they already own. I doubt it would be even in the consideration set for a place to run the third series. As you indicate, the viewership couldn't justify the budget of series.

However, if the Stargate movies (both old and new) are made HD, they could end up on the channel eventually.

They are investing in the future. HD may not be big now, but sales are brisk and it will grow fairly rapidly.
        HBO (Home Box Office)
        Showtime
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
        X