Dig at Sci-Fi (E18 - Family Ties) - Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dig at Sci-Fi (E18 - Family Ties) - Spoilers

Not really an amazing episode but did anyone get the dig they made about the Sci-Fi channel dropping it at about 28mins between Carter and Vala's dad?

Spoiler:
    Vala's Dad: I'm a bit dissapointed at this facility, I was expecting more
    Carter: Well at times so do we, the truth is the Stargate program doesn't get the support it used to from the people in charge
    Vala's Dad: Why not?
    (Tech guy forget his name) [Discovers something]: Eureka!
    Vala's Dad: Thats too bad 'cause after your stargate program has acomplished for this network - of planets, I would think the decision makers would show it the respect it deserves.
    Carter: ...Yea...

So Eureka is in reference to the show Eureka inevitably replacing SG1, and how Vala's Dad empahsies on the words Stargate Program and Network [as in TV Network] - it's pretty funny and clever

Anyone else notice it?

Just shows how much TPTB think of themselves really doesn't it?

"We made the network what it is" sure ye did! Get over yerselves FCOL!
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

hahaha omg im so dumb I totally did not get it until you explained it... haha... so dumb I am

I did however notice what Mitchel says in the opening line "oh they were cancelled? but the new season hasn't even started yet"

Comment

yea i noticed it, was a nice thing to put in

Comment

There was also a scene with Cam and Siler where Siler ask him if he's ready for next season and Cam said no they just cancled it all of the sudden. I think it was at the beginning...... I was a little distracted by Sam and Vala......

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
            Just shows how much TPTB think of themselves really doesn't it?

Err no, not really, it shows what they think of the show and that they recognise how much it has done for Sci Fi...

Comment

If this had appeared in a Farscape or Firefly episode I would have laughed and said good on ya. Stargate wasn't let down by the network though, that's just not true. If anything Sci-fi let them coast for years on their past achievments, well after the show had peaked.

SG1 finally got cancelled because the writing had been getting progessively lazier for years, the rehashes just came to be too many, and the costs were no longer justified by the ratings or the quality of the current (not past) program, not because of any nefarious betrayal on Sci-fi's part.

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                Except, they really did make the network what it is. When SG-1 moved to SciFi, it reached ratings numbers that SciFi could only dream of before, and put the channel on the map. SG-1 then went on the stay their highest rated show for several years.

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                SG1 finally got cancelled because the writing had been getting progessively lazier for years, the rehashes just came to be too many, and the costs were no longer justified by the ratings or the quality of the current (not past) program, not because of any nefarious betrayal on Sci-fi's part.
                It was canceled because it became too expensive. It became too expensive because it was ten years old. The perceived lack of quality in the writing (which is a perception I strongly disagree with, by the way) had nothing to do with it.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
                  Except, they really did make the network what it is. When SG-1 moved to SciFi, it reached ratings numbers that SciFi could only dream of before, and put the channel on the map. SG-1 then went on the stay their highest rated show for several years.

It was canceled because it became too expensive. It became too expensive because it was ten years old. The perceived lack of quality in the writing (which is a perception I strongly disagree with, by the way) had nothing to do with it.
                  I agree, SG-1 made scifi what they are today so it was a nice dig IMO. Also I also disagree on the writing issue. I think it is still great quality IMO and Skiffy wanted the record thats it and then it was so long. Bad form IMO.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    I agree, SG-1 made scifi what they are today so it was a nice dig IMO. Also I also disagree on the writing issue. I think it is still great quality IMO and Skiffy wanted the record thats it and then it was so long. Bad form IMO.
                    Very bad form on Sci-Fi's part IMO too.

SG-1 did make Sci-Fi a player. They owed that show much better than it ended up getting from them.

It was definitely costs IMO that got SG-1 canceled, not poor quality. In fact, I believe that this season (really the past two seasons) have been some of SG-1's finest. Nothing will change that.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that conversation as well as Cam's comment earlier about a sudden cancellation.
                      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

I thought the episode was quite funny. Fred Willard is a comic genius, so I was thrilled to see him as Vala's dad.

It wasn't the best ep but was far from the worst. I especially loved the end and T'ealc's reaction to the show he went to see.

I, too, think it was the cost that Sci-Fi didn't like. The cast has been getting more expensive and Sci-Fi doesn't own the show. It's MGM property, not NBC/Universal property. Battlestar Galactica and other NBC/Uni properties are likely to get better treatment.

SG-1 has had a great run. The writing is still good and I've found season 10 to be quite good. I have enjoyed the Ori story arc and the new characters in SG-1. Being a fan of Arthurian Legend, I've enjoyed the liberal interpretation of it and have been glad to see a break from the Go'auld and Replicator stories. In all honesty, I've enjoyed these last two seasons more than #8.

Comment

Eureka isn't really replacing SG1 since it airs on Tuesdays. Maybe it's just me, but the last few episodes were quite entertaining. They should have had that kind of storytelling and pacing from the beginning (S9 onwards).
                          It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

To be honest, I'd rather have half a dozen great SG-1 DVD movies, than a lackluster 11th season. Nothing lasts for ever, let's be greatful for the time we've had.
                            Saboo - "You know nothing of the crunch, you've never even been to the crunch!"

Naboo - "I've been there once"

Saboo - "Oh, took a little day trip around the crunch did we? We can all go as tourists, "Oh look, that's a bit of crunch...""

Comment

I took the comment as a dig at the lack of promotion of SG-1 and SGA this season. They may have still canceled SG-1 due to cost, but Sci-Fi has basically ignored the franchise in terms of advertising it.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Luciana
                              My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Working...
                              X