Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defending Earth (the road not taken spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defending Earth (the road not taken spoilers)

on one of the most recent episodes of sg-1 (The Road Not Taken)... our Carter takes the entire earth out of phase in the universe she bridges in to.

Umm.. wouldnt that mean that being out of phase and the earth having no physical effect on the 'in phase' matter around it, like the moon, that the moon would just "fly away", in turn destroying the worlds tidal flows and flooding everywhere.

this also raises the argument of why an out of phase person doesnt fall through the floor or just float around. perhaps gravity survives out of phase or perhaps because its just because its in t.v land

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever
    to the blinder critics and philosophisers of today, but the core of science fiction,
    its essence has become crutial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Originally posted by josh View Post
    on one of the most recent episodes of sg-1 (The Road Not Taken)... our Carter takes the entire earth out of phase in the universe she bridges in to.

Umm.. wouldnt that mean that being out of phase and the earth having no physical effect on the 'in phase' matter around it, like the moon, that the moon would just "fly away", in turn destroying the worlds tidal flows and flooding everywhere.

this also raises the argument of why an out of phase person doesnt fall through the floor or just float around. perhaps gravity survives out of phase or perhaps because its just because its in t.v land
    {Perhaps cause gravity is a constant no matter your 'phase...

Comment

it is a good point though. for this though i guess you'd just have to go with the tv land idea.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

guys, putting (spoilers) in the title is pretty worthless unless you say WHAT episode your thread is spoiling
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Maybe the device compensates for the mass of the moon, that's why it needs so much power (unlikely).

Maybe gravity affects out of phase things (possible vulnerability).

Comment

No gravity theoretically gravity could pass through inter dimensional barriers, in fact some of the lastes theories even suggest that gravity does not even exist in this universe, is prjected from outside this universe. so it more than likely gravity is universal constant amongst all dimensional plane, but this question is for the science and tech and not general discussion is not it?

Comment

what about the heat from the sun?

Comment

Originally posted by josh View Post

IMO, gravity's a constant no matter what "phase."

A person should fall through the floor. The writers on SG-1 have even joked about how it makes no sense in "Wormhole X-treme."
                sigpic
                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                ~David Hewlett

Comment

It's just tv, my friends. Sometimes we just have to accept certain things as they are given to us.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                  X