Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Ori have intergalactic Hyperdrives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the Ori have intergalactic Hyperdrives?

Probably been asked before and a moot point now, but always wondered

How far is the ori galaxy from the MW? I was wondering do the ori really need supergates? Can't they just use hyperdrives to invade our galaxy?

The ancients didn't use a supergate to come to the MW.
    Last edited by Hypochondriac; 23 February 2007, 05:01 PM.

super gate is qiucker and cooler

but on topic yes there do as seen in flesh aand blood and the shourd
    Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 23 February 2007, 04:27 PM.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post

They never mentioned that the hyperdrives were intergalactic ones. I always thought they were normal ones

Comment

It's never been shown if they have intergalactic drives or not as they've never left the galaxy, except via the Supergate.

Based on their level of technology I would assume they do. I always assumed the Ori galaxy was just really far away. Until we are shown one way or the other though, we will never know for sure.
        Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

i would assume they don't. perhaps the size of their ships means they can't.
          Last edited by P-90_177; 23 February 2007, 07:48 PM.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

If they had intergalactic hyperdrive, they would have used that instead of the Supergate.

Comment

Isn't Ori technology and Ancient technology roughly the same? If the Ancients had intergalactic drives the Ori should as well.

Comment

The ancients traveled for a long time to get to the milky way galaxy, I'd say that the distance is just too great for even intergalactic drives where as dialing a gate address and walking through is instantaneous as long as you have the power to do so... hence the supergate.

Comment

If we could build a supergate to travel to pegusus, would we bother going the long way?

I submit that superate technology is simply more advanced and more efficient than intergalactic hyperdrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    If they had intergalactic hyperdrive, they would have used that instead of the Supergate.
                    Not necessarily. Intergalactic hyperdrives won't get them to the MW very fast, but that doesn't mean they don't have the technology.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Why would speed be an issue? The Ori were not facing an invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        super gate is qiucker and cooler

Actually no they didnt. In Flesh and blood and Shroud they were just using intersteller drives as they were already in MW. The supergate is their intergalactic travelling means, but that dosent meen they don't have them or the knowhow to build one if needed.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                          Not necessarily. Intergalactic hyperdrives won't get them to the MW very fast, but that doesn't mean they don't have the technology.
                          The alliance of four great races exchanged information. Asgard probably had the hyperdrives (since they don't seem to need to switch between intergalactic and interstellar... it's one package, neat and efficient), ancients with shields or something.. etc.

The Ori weren't awefully tech-savvy, and most of their tech they have now is likely things that the ancients had when they left the Ori galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                            The alliance of four great races exchanged information. Asgard probably had the hyperdrives (since they don't seem to need to switch between intergalactic and interstellar... it's one package, neat and efficient), ancients with shields or something.. etc.

The Ori weren't awefully tech-savvy, and most of their tech they have now is likely things that the ancients had when they left the Ori galaxy.
                            Agreed but they do have the knowhow to build awsome tech so I think it's possible.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

It supposedly took a thousand years for the ancients to get from their home galaxy to the Milky Way.

Assuming the ancient ship(s) had hyperdrives similar to the Goa'uld Ha'taks when they left their home galaxy, a Ha'tak traveled at about 32000c as of Season 4/5 (Exodus). Crossing the Milky Way would take a Ha'tak about 3 years. If you wanted to visit Atlantis, it would take you about 93 years. How far can a Ha'tak travel in 1000 years? 32,000,000 light years.

If the Ori home galaxy is 32,000,000 light years away, even if Ori ships had intergalactic hyperdrives (with speeds comparable to Daedalus powered by a ZPM), it would take them ~42 years to get here.

That's why they're using the supergate.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X