2001: A Space Odyssey - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001: A Space Odyssey - Discussion thread

Being one of the best Sci-Fi films to date, I think that Kuberick's "Space Odyssey" it should have it's own thread.

One of the most bizzare films I have ever seen - does anyone know how to explain the ending?
    Last edited by neurophobic_and_perfect; 20 February 2007, 11:33 AM.
    sigpic
    Beckett: What shall ah say?
    Ford: Uh...Uh... I miss you... I wish you were here?
    Beckett: I wish who was here?
    Ford: Uh.... I dunno who do you wish was here?
    Beckett: Nobody I wish I wasn't bloody here.

Originally posted by neurophobic_and_perfect View Post
    One of the most bizzare films I have ever seen - does anyone know how to explain the ending?
    I interpreted it either as Dave being changed into the star child, or it evolving from him. (No, I haven't read the book. Maybe someday.)

The psychedelic part seemed to be the broadening of Dave's mind (a visual pun on "consciousness expanding"). And the part in the rooms was transitions between phases of his life (present to middle age, middle age to deathbed). It's impossible to tell if he became the star child, or if the star child was developed from him. It's also impossible to tell if all this took place over decades, or over minutes. Considering how much of the film takes place in real time, my guess is minutes.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Love this one and especially its sequel. IMO, its everything "Sci-fi" films SHOULD BE. It was cutting edge, weird, dark, full of mystery, odd story....if only films like this were made today.
      Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
      Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Thanx

Don't you love it when they are walking upside-down and all you can think about is "how the heck are they doing that without computers" then it clicks that the set is revolving at the same speed as the camera and the people are just walking on a horizontal surface.
        sigpic

Comment

Being the original Sci-Fi film, I think that Kuberick's "Space Odyssey" it should have it's own thread.

I think this movie is what got me hooked on Sci-Fi. It was odd, and creepy and this monolith..what is it? Even 2010 couldn't answer it. The end was just baffeling. Bowman ages and is in this weird bed room and there is no music and then this star child appears. The end. I take it as a message from the beings who control the monolith that there is no beginning and no end to life, but if I were Bowman, I'd be like "English please people!! I don't get it so spell it out!"

I love the cut over from the apes throwing the bone into the air to the space vehicle thousands of years later. I think of the earth and the space station to this day when I hear "The Blue Danube". The ride that Heywood Floyd takes to the moon makes my stomach lurch because they did the weightless scenes so well. And those meals? No thanks!! If I have to suck peas through a straw - I'll stay on Earth...! Hal was awesome and the editing, music (or lack there of) were brilliant! They did this all with out the CGI of today and that says alot!
          Atlantis Girl

Go to this link to help us keep the wraith on Atlantis - http://petitionspot.com/petitions/wraithrights/

please sign the save Elizabeth petition to keep her on Atlantis to!
          http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savedrelizabethweir/

Comment

Great movie, but not sure why you are calling it the original sci fi film. Wouldn't that be something like Metropolis or The Voyage to the Moon (Voyage dans la lune).

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2 View Post
              I interpreted it either as Dave being changed into the star child, or it evolving from him. (No, I haven't read the book. Maybe someday.)
              Dave evolved into the Star Child. Sort of becoming an infant "one of them" (creators of the monoliths).

The book does a lot of explaining and has scenes not in the movie. Easier to understand.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I didn't actually like this movie...at all. I'm a huge sci-fi fan, a huge classic cinema fan, a huge Arthur C. Clarke fan, and a huge Kubrick fan, but this movie just bored me to tears. I watched the whole thing in fast forward and still found it dull and uninteresting.

The books were fabulous though. The entire series was fabulous, with the possible exception of 3001.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                  Great movie, but not sure why you are calling it the original sci fi film. Wouldn't that be something like Metropolis or The Voyage to the Moon (Voyage dans la lune).
                  It was the first true sci-fi film - there were fantasy verging on sci-fi films earlier but as I said, nothing like this.

I hate the noise from the monolith but it really intrigues me.
                  HAL is great!
                  I can't believe that this film had one of the biggest budgets of the era - but then they do have revolving sets .
                  sigpic

Comment

It was the first true sci-fi film -
                    I guess I just don't get what you mean by TRUE sci-fi. The Day the Earth Stood Still, the War of the Worlds and countless others aren't true sci-fi?

Comment

Originally posted by Laura the Asgard View Post
                      I take it as a message from the beings who control the monolith that there is no beginning and no end to life, but if I were Bowman, I'd be like "English please people!! I don't get it so spell it out!"

Yeah, something to discuss! You just don't get movies and TV shows like these any more. For the last six years or so everything has been so dumbed down and artificial.
                      Last edited by Wordsmit2; 19 February 2007, 06:34 PM.
                      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                        I guess I just don't get what you mean by TRUE sci-fi. The Day the Earth Stood Still, the War of the Worlds and countless others aren't true sci-fi?
                        They were Sci-Fi but this was earlier.
                        sigpic

Comment

Those films were 15-20 years before 2001 and there were plenty before that.

Comment

1902: Le Voyage dans la Lune
                            1927: Metropolis
                            1936: Flash Gordon
                            1939: Buck Rogers (12 part serial film)
                            1951: The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing from Another World
                            1953: The War of the Worlds
                            1956: Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
                            1958: It! The Terror from Beyond Space!
                            1959: Plan 9 from Outer Space
                            1966: Fahrenheit 451
                            1968: Planet of the Apes, 2001: A Space Odyssey
                            Last edited by DigiFluid; 20 February 2007, 10:41 AM.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It was made in the 60s (speculating about the future) and is officially the first full leangth film of that type: the others were fantasy based with sci fi twists to them.

This isn't the main point of the thread - we are here to discuss the contents of the film.
                              Last edited by neurophobic_and_perfect; 20 February 2007, 11:14 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X