This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 - Best movie ever made?

Well hello all! First post here in a really long time but I hope it's a good one.

I'm trying to get an idea of what people think of the new movie "300" that is coming out on March 9. If you haven't seen the trailer go to 300themovie.com and check it out. I'm throwing my vote in and saying this looks like the most bad ass movie ever made. Sorry admins had to say it. Everyone go check it out. This movie will blow your minds.

I'm a little concerned about it actually. Is it really necessary to portray Middle Easterners as savage barbarians, particularly given modern circumstances? The Persian empire was as complex and sophisticated as any Greek city-state, and to portray them otherwise is a gross injustice.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I'm a little concerned about it actually. Is it really necessary to portray Middle Easterners as savage barbarians, particularly given modern circumstances? The Persian empire was as complex and sophisticated as any Greek city-state, and to portray them otherwise is a gross injustice.
      To be honest.. Iread your post reply and I sat blanked face for about a minute.

It's a movie about a great story. What does todays "modern circumstances" have to do with this movie. If this is how you look at movies then I hate to think of what you thought about other movies like The 13th Warrior. Does that movie pass your test because it puts a Muslim in good light. I don't know whether to forgive you for your blatant craziness or eat your face

Comment

Im looking forward to this movie. Should be a solid action film. Dont know about best movie ever made though...
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I'm a fan of Frank Miller's work,I really liked sin city and can't wait for pt 2.
          As far as 300 I wouldn't say it's going to be the best movie ever by any means. People are comparing it to "Gladitor" I doubt it will even be as good as that movie.

Is it going to be a bad ass movie? yes because of fight scenes and gore

Other then that just from the trailer I hope they don't go to over board with the sex scenes (I hate that about most movies.) Also all of the actors seem to be really over acting, Keep in mind I know their going for that feel but I'm an actor and I think they are over doing it a bit with speeches alone in the trailer....

Anyways we shall see, I think it will be a good action/gore movie. Other then that I don't think it will be the best ever. Also that depends on who your asking. I'm not going to fully judge the movie until I see it.
          Actor
          [/URL]Stargate Worlds Community Website

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil View Post
            To be honest.. Iread your post reply and I sat blanked face for about a minute.

It's a movie about a great story. What does todays "modern circumstances" have to do with this movie. If this is how you look at movies then I hate to think of what you thought about other movies like The 13th Warrior. Does that movie pass your test because it puts a Muslim in good light. I don't know whether to forgive you for your blatant craziness or eat your face
            The thing is, the Persian army is being portrayed as a bunch of evil rapist, subhuman monsters while the Spartans are supermacho He-Men, perfect in body. Neither of this things are historically correct, nor is it responsible of the filmmakers to perpetuate the myth of the civilized west and the savage east, given current conflicts in the Middle East.

I'll probably still see it, out of curiosity if nothing else. I'm just saying, the masses tend to be stupid and believe whatever they see on a screen. And given how this film is being depicted, that worries me.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

By the way, that's one of the most random reasons for a green I've ever gotten. Thanks

Comment

The thing is, the Persian army is being portrayed as a bunch of evil rapist, subhuman monsters while the Spartans are supermacho He-Men, perfect in body. Neither of this things are historically correct, nor is it responsible of the filmmakers to perpetuate the myth of the civilized west and the savage east, given current conflicts in the Middle East.

I'll probably still see it, out of curiosity if nothing else. I'm just saying, the masses tend to be stupid and believe whatever they see on a screen. And given how this film is being depicted, that worries me.
                There are several things that just don't make sense about your post. Let's just do this one by one:

A). This movie is based on a comic series published nearly a decade ago. Long before any of the current problems in the Middle East reached its current critical mass.

B). The movie is supposedly a near shot-for-shot adaptation of the comic series. It's highly stylized (much like Sin City was). It would be intellectually and artistically dishonest to portray the movie in any light that wasn't faithful to the source material. Which is kind of the point of the film. Making the movie more PC is stupid and insulting.

C). The movie (and comics) are, in large part, based on the point of view of the Spartan king Leonidas. Since he was willing to lead a suicidal last stand against the Persians, it's highly unlikely he would be all happy and kind about how he viewed the Persians.

D). I don't know what you've seen of the movie, but I certainly have not seen the Persians portrayed as murderous rapists. Although if you actually believe that it is historically inaccurate to say that the Persians never did such things, then you must not know much about ancient warfare. Also, the Spartans were supermacho, perfect in body. They were trained since about seven years old to be soldiers and were considered some of the best (if not the best) soldiers in the whole ancient world. It's not much of a stretch to portray them how they are shown in the movie.

E). By the way, the Persians were (and still are) not even Arabs. But of course that doesn't matter since people are so stupid.
                "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

best ? I doubt it, and I HATED Sin City...but it looks like something I'd really love and damn I am SUCH a sucker for big armies/war ect. I also liked they used a Nine inch nails song on the soundtrack in the trailer. Personally I am going to take it for what it is meant to be, and that is "Fantasy" aka "not real life", so I dont care how accurate/inaccurate it is..its got ogres and monsters afteral.
                  Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                  Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Frankly, I wish this movie wasn't being made.

Yes, it is based off of comic books, but the comics are based of a historical battle between the Greeks and the Persians. Somehow, I doubt the ancient battles had any CGI.

The trailer looks like The Matrix meets Gladiator with the worst of both included. Both of these films were decent due to plot and CGI/fight scenes. I see tons of special effects and heroic cliches, but I don't see a film worth watching yet with 300.

I'm also getting burned out on Gerad Butler. He makes a cute Phantom of the Opera, but he is consistly choosing these bizarre anachronistic films. His presence can no longer pull me to a film.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Im excited for this, I love this type of movie, and it looks like there isn't much of a plot to ruin it. That said I doubt it will be the best movie ever, but it should be fun. (as far as it being like gladiator, the plot is what ruined that movie)

As far as it being offensive, that reminds me of some friends of mine who hated Lord of the Rings, they thought it was racist because none of the fellowship were black.

Comment

Sorry, but that's pretty much the dumbest thing I've heard today.
                        My buddy is seeing the midnight premiere and possibly skipping school to see this. If I had read the comic, then I'd be right there with him.
                        As for the concern with CGI, was the Lord of the Rings any worse because of the mammoth CGI armies? Heck no!
                        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                        Caboose: They could be worse?
                        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                          As for the concern with CGI, was the Lord of the Rings any worse because of the mammoth CGI armies? Heck no!
                          CGI is fine if used well; the LoTR movies had plots around the orc battles, and even the trailers contained more than CGI. 300 looks visually impressive, but the graphics help the film look more like an action based screen saver than a film with plot plus CGI.
                          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing this film. It looks stunning, and I'll definitely give it a shot.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

This movie has me very intrigued but i a little confused as to the plot, mainly cause i'm not too familier with Greek/Persian history. I loved the dark atmoshere of Sin City so i'm sure i'll enjoy this.

Comment

Working...
                              X