unconvertable asgard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unconvertable asgard?

i've come to the conclusion that the asgard would be unconvertable by the ori and they have been left out of this entire series any attempt to convert them would lead to a battle fit for their final episode an alliance between stargate command,asgard,the jaffa and other outlying fleets against the ori fleet would be a much better end to the series than wot they have proposed.

That's great, but what's the purpose of this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      That's great, but what's the purpose of this thread?
      The purpose of the thread is to point out the fact that other than humans, Ori seem to have little other source of power. If in fact a worst case scenario occurrs SG-1 can just wipe out the entire galaxy with the ancient weapon similar to one on Dakara.

It also brings up the question of whether or not the Ancients knew of this and designed the Dakara weapon as such contingency.

Finally, the purpose of the thread emerges: are Ancients evil or are the writers just lucky that they have fans to make up stories for them to expand the depth of the show?

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
        If in fact a worst case scenario occurrs SG-1 can just wipe out the entire galaxy with the ancient weapon similar to one on Dakara.

It also brings up the question of whether or not the Ancients knew of this and designed the Dakara weapon as such contingency.
        I thought the weapon at dakara
        Spoiler:
        got blown up by the ori in "Counterstrike"

Comment

Originally posted by finalphoenix View Post
          i've come to the conclusion that the asgard would be unconvertable by the ori and they have been left out of this entire series any attempt to convert them would lead to a battle fit for their final episode an alliance between stargate command,asgard,the jaffa and other outlying fleets against the ori fleet would be a much better end to the series than wot they have proposed.
          I don't think that the Asgard would worship the Ori. They would rather run or die than do that. imho the Asgard would be more than capable of outrunning the Ori if it came to it.
          Simple explanations for why the Asgard aren't around are:
          1. Their forces are seriously weakened after the Replicators. Their weapons seemingly have no more affect than ours and so they don't want to lose what forces they have in a hopeless battle.
          2. We know they have business in other galaxies besides this as stated in 'Fail Safe' (I think) so whatever they are may be keeping them too busy to help us out.
          3. They are probably working on some kind of countermeasure against the Ori but just have not come up with anything yet. Personally, I don't think anything they or anyone else can come up with is going to dent those shields.
          4. Finally, the Asgard are in a different galaxy and the Ori are far too busy with us to worry about them, assuming that the Ancients aren't hiding them too. The Ori are not a direct threat to the Asgard atm so we are unlikely to see them committing any sizeable military force to the battle.

The purpose of the thread is to point out the fact that other than humans, Ori seem to have little other source of power. If in fact a worst case scenario occurrs SG-1 can just wipe out the entire galaxy with the ancient weapon similar to one on Dakara.
          We possess no such weapons and there is no reason to believe that such a device exists in the Ori galaxy or anywhere else in the universe.
          Dakara weapon was destroyed in 'Counterstrike' along with red shirt Jaffa leader

Finally, the purpose of the thread emerges: are Ancients evil or are the writers just lucky that they have fans to make up stories for them to expand the depth of the show?
          Those two questions are completely unrelated plus the title of the thread generally goes somewhere in explaining what the purpose of the thread is. Might've been a good idea to name the thread a little more appropriately.

On the first - no, I don't believe they are for several reasons:
          1. If they were they wouldn't have a non-interference policy and wouldn't've protected us from the Ori for so long.
          2. They would just destroy the entire galaxy to prevent the Ori from gaining power from the worship of human/Jaffa planets in the galaxy.
          3. They wouldn't have allowed Orlin to descend in '4th Horseman' as Earth being wiped out would work in their benefit as less humans to worship Ori if Earth is conquered. Plus they wouldn't care if we were conquered eventually as long as the Ori couldn't get power from us.
          4. If they were evil they would be trying to do exactly what the Ori are doing so that they could use as a power source and better protect themselves from the Ori.

On the second question: yes they are but Stargate has such an incredible depth to it in terms of mythology, history, technology, and its characters both recurring and regulars, that it would not be possible to explain it all on screen. They have to leave something to the imagination and not explain everything otherwise Stargate would just be 30 mins of exposition and explanation every week and 15 minutes of actual story.
          I like having to fill in the blanks myself and use my brain. Not like in Star Trek where everything is just explained with bulls**t technobabble and all the characters have less depth than a sheet of paper (bar DS9, but thats another topic completely ).

To put it simply - Stargate is the thinking man's (or woman's ) sci-fi and that's exactly how I like it.

ps. Apologies if my opening statements seems a bit harsh but I like thread names to tell me something about what is in the thread beyond the first post. No offense intended.
          Last edited by talyn2k1; 16 February 2007, 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot to answer the initial thread :D

Comment

Jaffa, Serrakin?

Comment

actually they can be converted since in some bizarre way the ori could give the prior the asgard genome cloning problem and fix there clones trouble and some of the asgard would be like 'we are in ur debt and some would be like thanks but we didnt want your help'

then the prior would wipe them out
              sigpic

Comment

Asgard are in a different galaxy this fight really dosnt concern them
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Jaffa, Serrakin?
                  Well, for all we know the Serrakin could've been wiped out and the Ori are only draining power from the human inhabitants of Hebridan.

Comment

Originally posted by finalphoenix View Post
                    the only reason we haven't see the asguard is that TPTB don't have the money.
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Wasn't the Dakara device originally used to seed the galaxy with life? Sure it can eliminate life, but was that the original purpose?

Comment

I never bought the "seed galaxy" concept. That thing disintegrates matter on an atomic level (possibly sub atomic, wouldn't make much difference). What did they do, rearranged dirt to create water?

And of course I know it was destroyed. That's not the point. The point is Carter figured out what it does, and how to use it. That means she has potentially the knowledge to build one just like it. The fact that they're now in the process of building, nay, completing a planet wide anti repitition, err I mean replicator weapon means SGC already has on some levels, the ability to wipe out all life in the galaxy (when you can break Kirons, I'm sure it ain't that much harder to break humans).

And for the record, since you can dial all gates in tendom to maximize the Dakara weapon damage, why should there be the need for another one in the Ori galaxy?

We DON'T know if the Ancients are good or bad, we just know that they created the Asurans (bad), let the Wraith develope (also bad), did nothing about the Ori (really bad), and when they realized they pulled a George W. Bush they just went on vacation in another plane of existence (so bad it's beyond irresponsible). Now every time one of them wants to give us a hand, they say no (actually they say nothing) and just put the good guys in Guantanamo Bay (or the ascended equivalent)... Yet for some reason you guys keep saying "ooh ancients are awesome".

Face it, every race that came in contact with the Ancients hated them: the Wraiths hate them, the Asurans hate them, the Nox just hid from them, and the Ori converted entire galaxies just to fight them... The Furlings probably all commited suicide because of them.

And why should the Ancients have to "destroy the universe" to be evil? Humans have pretty much destroyed everything in the universe for them while never suspecting the true agenda behind the Ancients. Now THAT is true evil: to do evil deeds without ever being caught.

I tell ya!!! The Ancients are evil!!! Eeeeevilll!!!!

*Zamboni is charred by a lightning storm*

Comment

The Ori don't know about the Asgard because the Asgard are in another galaxy.
                          Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn View Post
                            The Ori don't know about the Asgard because the Asgard are in another galaxy.
                            Surely they have the power to send a few scout ships to various galaxies though? I mean, they must know that Pegasus etc are there, so what would it hurt to go look?

Comment

And of course I know it was destroyed. That's not the point. The point is Carter figured out what it does, and how to use it. That means she has potentially the knowledge to build one just like it.

Son, are you hitting the cough syrup a little too hard?

Knowing how something works and building it are two completely different things, and to say something like that makes you sound like a serious tool.

Case in point:
                              We know what ZPMs can do. We can control the flow of power of ZPM to devices that use its power. We CANNOT build ZPMs.

We know what puddlejumpers are. We can fly them. We cna make them to nifty neat things. WE CANNOT BUILD THEM.

We know what Stargates do. Heck, we can do miraculous things with Stargates. WE CANNOT BUILD OUR OWN.

GET IT?

Comment

Working...
                              X