What Is Going On With Season 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is Going On With Season 10?

When I first heard the news that SG-1 was ending with Season 10 I was frankly pleased. I was glad to see that the show would go out while it was still producing really quality television. Thenwith the seriously good run of episodes from The Quest to The Shroud I strated to think SG-1 actually could've continued strongly for another couple of years but after watching the last two new episodes, Bounty and Bad Guys, I now think the show can't end soon enough because it seems with each new episode the writers are destroying the essence of the SG-1.

Look at this year. I was so pleased with season 9. It got SG-1 back telling serious, topical, dramatic stories and there were so many interesting stories to explore in season 10 but alot of it has turned out disastrously. What happened to the days when SG-1 told serious stories. They can still do it. We're 16 episodes into Season 10 and so far 8 of them have dealt with the Ori is some shape or form and all have been excellent to superb. Brilliant television, but when it comes to doing stand-alones the writers start to make a mockery of the show. Just about every episode is camp piece of crap and the worst thing is they have the potential to be really great dramatic episodes. If you're going to do a comedy episode, set it up as such, don't set up a serious episode and then do it absurdly, they don't work comedicly and they end up being cringeworthy.

Let's look at the stand-alones:

MORPHEUS: Yes, this was a good one. It was dark, interesting, a little but creepy but it still had it's very humourous moments. Good job!

INSIDERS: This wasn't great for lots of reasons mainly because it was just badly written is all but at least it was suppose to be serious.

UNINVITED: An episode that was pretty good but the cheese factor was extraordinarally high in this one.

200: Was suppose to be camp and fun etc, and it was. Brilliant.

MEMENTO MORI: Goauld doing insider trading? What the hell was that. So very silly.

COMPANY OF THIEVES: Oh dear jebus, what the hell happend to this one. Could've been a hugely dramatic episode but well, "Damn you Cam Mitchell" said it all really.

BOUNTY: Another Lucian Alliance episode, with another good story with potental to be a great dramatic, action packed episode with a nice bit of comedy turned into an enourmously camp and cheesey, stupid episode. I think the lucian alliance proves the point I'm trying to make with this thread. Joe Mallozzi has already said this that LA were suppose to be a dramatic threat to SG-1, the way the Genii are in Atlantis, but that's not the way it played out. They ended up being used for comic effect and it's been a disaster. You set a group up to be a serious advesary and then you make them look stupid and try and get cheap laughs out of them. Yeah I can take that show seriously. How does something like that happen though. How can a group start out intending to be a serious threat and turn into a joke? Only by a group of writers who don't take their show seriously.

BAD GUYS: I mean what can you say. There was so much potential for drama here and lots of potential for a but of social commentary but what do they do? Parody Die Hard. Good job!

I'm a fan of stand-alones. While every episode this year could've centered around the main arcs it is nice to see some one offs, but when they are done as badly as they have been this year (for the most part) they are just so pointless when there is so much going on in the SG-1 universe which the writers could be exploring. The fact that this is the last season makes them even more pointless and all the more frustrating, however you can't blame the TPTB for that. All I can say is thank goodness SG-1 was cancelled and Atlantis is still going because the writers over there still know how to produce brilliant dramatic television and fingers crossed they don't make the same mistakes they've made with SG-1 this year.
    'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

I don't know, personally I've really enjoyed Season 10 so far. I guess some of the dialogue in places could have been better, but on the whole I thought it was good.

Also I think it's good that there have been a few more light hearted episodes rather than action-packed drama. As much as I love the new Battlestar Galactica and 24, sometimes you just need a bit of fun that isn't too serious every now and again, as oppose to impending doom and ever increasing body counts. But that's just me.
    sigpic

Comment

Haven't heard much on the last two episodes, so I can't really say much on it.

Comment

"Morpheus" wasn't a standalone episode, it involved looking for the Sangraal on Vegonbrei.

AGT58

Comment

Drama is for BSG, comedy is for SG1!

Comment

There are 4 metaplot in this season:
            - Adria, Merlin, Morgam la Fey, Sangraal, supergate
            - Lucian Alliance
            - Baal, Trust, Athena, Quetesh
            - Jaffa Nation

I think the season 10 is the best, because we can't talk about stand alone episodes and the metaplots cross each other. I hope that the third series and Atlantis season 4 will be same.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Personally I've loved Season 10. IMO, it was been one of SG-1's finest seasons to date.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Both Bounty and Bad Guys gave me a some what nostalgic feeling. They were pretty much throw backs to early SG-1 stand alone episodes, although they did have some connection to some of the season 10 arcs.

Spoilers for Bad Guys
                Spoiler:
                I thought it was pretty damn funny to see the team have to play hostage takers. Heck, just seeing Jackson yell at the bickering women made the episode for me. That was probably the funniest scene of the season, aside from 200.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                  Both Bounty and Bad Guys gave me a some what nostalgic feeling. They were pretty much throw backs to early SG-1 stand alone episodes, although they did have some connection to some of the season 10 arcs.

Spoilers for Bad Guys
                  Spoiler:
                  I thought it was pretty damn funny to see the team have to play hostage takers. Heck, just seeing Jackson yell at the bickering women made the episode for me. That was probably the funniest scene of the season, aside from 200.
                  I feel the same way.

As for "Bad Guys", that scene had me practically rolling on the floor laughing. Daniel was great.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I thought this was a wonderful episode. Quest part 2 and on have all been great!
                    I was really genuinely surprised and impressed.

Comment

I enjoyed Bad Guys a lot, because it was in many respects the only time Mitchell and Vala get to be in a "classic" SG-1 scenario without the Ori hanging over their heads. Swap Mitchell and Vala for Jack and Sam and that episode could almost have passed for a Season 1-8 episode.

I like a bit of that. Nice to see Vala actually being Vala in this episode (and the last one). At least the writers seem to have remembered she's been a thief for a few years/decades/centuries. I think Vala's skills have been really underused considering her new place as a regular.

Comment

Originally posted by BewareofthePhil View Post
                        I enjoyed Bad Guys a lot, because it was in many respects the only time Mitchell and Vala get to be in a "classic" SG-1 scenario without the Ori hanging over their heads. Swap Mitchell and Vala for Jack and Sam and that episode could almost have passed for a Season 1-8 episode.

I like a bit of that. Nice to see Vala actually being Vala in this episode (and the last one). At least the writers seem to have remembered she's been a thief for a few years/decades/centuries. I think Vala's skills have been really underused considering her new place as a regular.
                        i agree on all points. i really don't get all the people who whine cause there are standalone eps .. that's SG-1 heritage ... it is the core of the show .. not every ep should be about them fighting the main bad guys - if it was, Goa'uld story arc would last for 2-3 seasons tops ...

standalone eps made SG-1 last this long.

and i really like second part of S10 ...
                        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Season 10 has been great my main problem is that there was so much potential for the ori storyline and i can imagine just what they had in store for the ori after the shroud. So sad to see it end but I have great faith in TPTB doing a great job with the remaining 4 episodes and movies.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            Season 10 has been great my main problem is that there was so much potential for the ori storyline and i can imagine just what they had in store for the ori after the shroud. So sad to see it end but I have great faith in TPTB doing a great job with the remaining 4 episodes and movies.
                            IMHO, in some respects, it would have been better for them to have may be done at least one more Ori ep and one less stand-alone ep. While the other eps (e.g. Bounty and Bad Guys) were funny, they din't build-up the show. So, in some respects, I agree with BJX.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel View Post
                              IMHO, in some respects, it would have been better for them to have may be done at least one more Ori ep and one less stand-alone ep. While the other eps (e.g. Bounty and Bad Guys) were funny, they din't build-up the show. So, in some respects, I agree with BJX.
                              Mabey not but I do usally enjoy stand alones and did in those respects and in principle I agree that we needed more Ori stories but you have to realize all but 2 eps were in the can and either currently shooting or in post. Only Dominion and Unending havdnt even been written. They were banking on a 11th season and that is quite obvious in the shroud. So they thought they had plenty of time. I can't and won't fault them for that.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X