Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW can the Ancients interfere with the Sangraal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW can the Ancients interfere with the Sangraal??

This bugs the hell out of me. SUPPOSEDLY, they are all about free will and non-interference yet they destroyed the original Sangraal using their POWERS and they may have wanted to destroy the second one, but it seems they didn't because either it was assembled improperly or they wanted the Ori gone, we won't know for the time being, back to my original question, why was that? I mean, I know they don't want to die since they ascended in order to exist forever but what about dying with honor and all that? How can they boast about non-interference all the time but when a device that can kill them comes up, they can suddenly interfere.

Also, in "Camelot" why was the Sangraal shown as being the red jewel only instead of the full machine with the jewel?

AGT58

Well merlin was an ancient and he returned to human form in order to build this weapon and the ancients knew it could kill them and they didnt want anything like that i guess in the hands of us mortals i presume, and they wernt interfering they were stopping a fellow ancient from interfering. As for it only showing the red jewel i dont have an explaination.

Comment

IIRC, the Sangraal is the stone, but it is the final piece of the machine.

Comment

Like marty2006 said, they were stopping a fellow ascended fom interferring when they sent Morgan to destroy the weapon. Also, I felt like the jewel was the key (either the power supply or the actual weapon itself) to the device. Without it the device wouldnt work as the rest of the device only amplifies the effect.

On the issue of why the ancients didnt destroy the second device. It could have been because they knew it wouldnt work or they ewanted the ori gone, but I always wondered whether Merlin build in something which kept ascended beings from interfering with the machine. Kind of like a small field which could stop ascended being from getting close enough to the device to do anything to it.
        sigpic
        By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Gen_J_O'Neill View Post
          Like marty2006 said, they were stopping a fellow ascended fom interferring when they sent Morgan to destroy the weapon. Also, I felt like the jewel was the key (either the power supply or the actual weapon itself) to the device. Without it the device wouldnt work as the rest of the device only amplifies the effect.

On the issue of why the ancients didnt destroy the second device. It could have been because they knew it wouldnt work or they ewanted the ori gone, but I always wondered whether Merlin build in something which kept ascended beings from interfering with the machine. Kind of like a small field which could stop ascended being from getting close enough to the device to do anything to it.
          I think that either Vala assmebled it wrong or it was somehow deactivated. I doubt it actually worked ar didnt work as intended. Though if it did the armies of the Ori are still a huge threat.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think it's pretty simple why they can interfere when it comes to the sangraal. It's not that they can;t interfere, it's that they won't. becuase there law prevents them from interfering with the lifes of lesser beings.

however this is not only about lesser beings. in this case it's about them. So it's not about interfering with the lives of lesser beings, its about saving their own lives.

Comment

didn't morgan sya when Merlin took humna form he still retend all of his memories, something along those lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
                didn't morgan sya when Merlin took humna form he still retend all of his memories, something along those lines?
                yep!
                sigpic

Comment

They were also responsible for destroying the civlisation on the planet Velona (I think thats its name) when Orlin gave them specs on how to build a super weapon which the inhabitants attempted to use to conquer their neighbors. So the Sangraal thing would hardly be the first time the Ancients did such a thing.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
                    They were also responsible for destroying the civlisation on the planet Velona (I think thats its name) when Orlin gave them specs on how to build a super weapon which the inhabitants attempted to use to conquer their neighbors. So the Sangraal thing would hardly be the first time the Ancients did such a thing.
                    Good point.

Comment

Maybe the timing wasn't right. The Ancients saw the original device and thought that it may have been 2 early for it to be built. But with new one they saw that it could be used to destory the Ori and allowed it. Remember in the quest 2 none of the research that Merlin made was destoryed so maybe it just came down to timing.

Comment

Originally posted by nerus View Post
                        Maybe the timing wasn't right. The Ancients saw the original device and thought that it may have been 2 early for it to be built. But with new one they saw that it could be used to destory the Ori and allowed it. Remember in the quest 2 none of the research that Merlin made was destoryed so maybe it just came down to timing.
                        I doubt it. The Ancients have proven themselves to be as hypocritical and self-serving as their less-advanced descendants. This is hardly a bad thing as it makes them far more interesting as a group and much less than a plot device.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                          I doubt it. The Ancients have proven themselves to be as hypocritical and self-serving as their less-advanced descendants. This is hardly a bad thing as it makes them far more interesting as a group and much less than a plot device.
                          True. I'm guessing they didnt interfear b/c it was not going to work or it was already rigged/disabled.

Comment

For the record, they didn't destroy the original device with their powers. They sent Morgon to take Human form to keep an eye on what Merlin was doing and when she discovered the device they had her destroy it while she was still in Human form. Daniel even said that the reason Morgon kept Merlin alive was because she knew that if she didn't destroy the device they would just "send another one to do it" - Notice nothing was ever said about them using their powers. Which either suggests that they couldn't take it out as ascended beings or they took their non-interference policy to such a level where they would simply combat Merlin by sending an agent on his level.

Anyway, they may have rules not to interfere, but they're not stupid enough to take that so far as to let mortals wipe them out in one breath. Their policy is both to protect those on the lower planes and preserve their way of life without having those among them resort to power hungry fiends who suck the life force out of mortals as the Ori do. Also, since they define the rules it is up to them to decide when to break them - One of the rules state that no single ascended being can help another being ascend because they think those who ascend should be capable do doing it on their own and yet they would still help a lesser being ascend if the collective agrees to it.

Comment

When was it ever stated that Morgan re-took human form? I've always got the impression that she was still ascended while doing her protective thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X