X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joss Whedon No Longer Making Wonder Woman

He broke the sad news over at Whedonesque this afternoon:

You (hopefully) heard it here first: I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman. What? But how? My chest... so tight! Okay, stay calm and I'll explain as best I can. It's pretty complicated, so bear with me. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked. Hey, not that complicated.

Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did. Everybody knows how long I was taking, what a struggle that script was, and though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk. I like to think it rolled around the rim a little bit, but others may have differing views.

The worst thing that can happen in this scenario is that the studio just keeps hammering out changes and the writer falls into a horrible limbo of development. These guys had the clarity and grace to skip that part. So I'm a free man.

Well, sorta. There is that "Goners" movie I can finally finish polishing, and plenty of other things in the hopper I've wanted to pursue. I'm as relieved as I am disappointed, and both of those things lead to drink, so that's a plus. Truly, you may be hearing some interesting things brewing in the coming months. But all potential jets therein will be visible.

But most importantly, I never have to answer THAT question again!!!! And you don't have to link to every rumor site! Finally and forever: I never had an actress picked out, or even a consistant front-runner. I didn't have time to waste on casting when I was so busy air-balling on the script. (No! Rim! There was rim!) That's the greatest relief of all. I can do interviews again!

Thanks for your time. You are the people who make the world go 'round. Or, no, science does that.

-j.
    http://whedonesque.com/comments/12385#160900

I'm pretty torn up about this- here was the oppertunity for a gaurenteed well written, character driven superhero movie.

Hmmm, too bad he isn't doing it.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

yeah that's a shame. i was never a fan of wonder woman but with joss at the helm i may have gone to see it.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        yeah that's a shame. i was never a fan of wonder woman but with joss at the helm i may have gone to see it.
        I'm just pissed because after disasters like Elektra, and Catwoman, and Aeon Flux, we LOSE the ONE good chance for a GOOD (if not potentially brilliant) female superhero film.

This just totally harkens back to some article I read stating that "women superheroes are a dud at the box office."

As if it has nothing to do with the bad scripts.....

Good superhero movies are few and far between, looks like far-between just got a lot farther. Good female superhero movies don't even factor in, as there's never been one made.

Comment

Well, at least this frees him up to do Serenity II!

What? Why are you looking at me that way?

It could happen! It could!!!
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
            Well, at least this frees him up to do Serenity II!

What? Why are you looking at me that way?

It could happen! It could!!!
            Did you just post at Whedonesque.....I could have sworn I just read an almost identical comment.

I'm really hoping this very interesting-sounding Goners project takes off now (since Serenity II is unlikly), that, or he forays back into the world of television.

Comment

wow that kinda stinks it happens, apparently the studio can't understand his vision for the movie.... Anyways... Hopefully he'll work on some new tv stuff or even firefly/serenity.
              Actor
              [/URL]Stargate Worlds Community Website

Comment

I am so bummed.

I loved WW as a child, and although I wasn't looking forward to yet another half naked female on the silver screen *groans* I did think if anyone could pull this off and make her a strong yet feminine Hero er... Heroine *g* it would be Joss.

I see no reason to even make the movie now, it will be cliched riddled and no doubt have Pam Anderson as WW.

Comment

Originally posted by AJZ View Post
                  wow that kinda stinks it happens, apparently the studio can't understand his vision for the movie.... Anyways... Hopefully he'll work on some new tv stuff or even firefly/serenity.
                  *sigh* they probably want a Lindsey Lohan-like Wonder Woman with large breasts, star spangled shorts, really bad dialogue, and did I mention cleavage?

In other words, not a smart and fun superhero film with a Wonder Woman that women (and men) can relate to, that also makes people think, and actually empowers women/draws them to the theater to see a realistic, relatable heroine. And great dialogue! They apparently don't want that either!

I do not understand the mentality of a studio that lets Joss go/cancels his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                    I loved WW as a child, and although I wasn't looking forward to yet another half naked female on the silver screen *groans* I did think if anyone could pull this off and make her a strong yet feminine Hero er... Heroine *g* it would be Joss.
                    Sad thing is that this was our ONE chance to see a REAL female superhero on screen. She wasn't going to be wearing the tiny shorts/outfit as Joss stated some time ago.

Comment

Apparently WB and Silver Picutures have bought a Wonder Woman script set during WW2 written by some newbies called Matthew Jennison and Brent Strickland. Though I did read that this was to avoid legal issues and such and not because the studio wanted to can Whedon's script, which they've always said was awesome.

Booooooo!
                      I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

"Oh I'm so sorry Joss. We just LOVE your script. But..."

Blah. Dorks.
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Oh and I agree with Trekgirl. The female superheros movies do suck.

Maybe some FEMALES should be involved in the writing? Some female comic book fans. Oh wait, that would be too smart.
                          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

The female lead superhero movies made so far both suck and blow.

It's a really shame because it's not due to lack of material to work with, there are a wealth of female characters in comic literature. It is a lack of good screenplays and studios willing to front up the kind of budgets Spiderman, Batman and Superman (though SR was dire too) get
                            I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Did you just post at Whedonesque.....I could have sworn I just read an almost identical comment.
                              [T'ealc] Indeed. [/T'ealc]
                              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X