Clear All

Broadcasting & Cable: Scifi's new season 'murky' in ratings

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=SUPP&nid=2228

excerpt:

Breaking News
    USA and Sci Fi Debut New Shows to Murky Ratings

Sister networks USA and Sci Fi debuted new originals to murky results this
    weekend.

Fighting against the highest-rated football game in 20 years on Sunday night,
    Sci Fi's Battlestar Galactica drew an audience that was bigger than any other
    cable network's that day, but smaller than its own when it ran on Friday
    nights.

Battlestar's season three midterm debut averaged 1.3 million viewers in the
    18-49 demo at 10 p.m. - a win for the day, according to Nielsen Media Research.
    But with 1.8 million total viewers, it was down from the 1.9 million the
    season's first half averaged fall on Fri. nights. That was already down from the
    2.1 million viewers for season two's second half in early 2006.

The show built slightly on its lead-in from new supernatural detective
    series The Dresden Files, which drew 1.73 million viewers with its 9 p.m. series
    premiere. That number was solid, especially given the competition from football
    on CBS, but didn't make for the breakout hit Sci Fi might have been seeking in
    Dresden, especially given the huge marketing push behind the show.

Moving critical hit Battlestar to Sundays was a risk for Sci Fi, looking to
    build a new night of originals around the series. Since season two, the show
    has run without the benefit of a strong lead-in from Stargate Atlantis and
    Stargate SG-1
    , which ran their new seasons this summer. Sci Fi staggered them with
    Battlestar's episodes to premiere programming throughout the year.

FULL ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE

Well. Can't say I'm surprised...
    But I guess the real test would be how much BSG can draw on a Sunday with no football.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Thanks for the info prion!

Looks like Sci-Fi have done it again! Its a pitty tho. I do like the show and from the interviews I've read theres a real chance it could get canelled if the rating don't improve.

I wonder if their finally realising what massive mistake's they have made!
      sigpic
      By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Gen_J_O'Neill View Post
        Thanks for the info prion!

Looks like Sci-Fi have done it again! Its a pitty tho. I do like the show and from the interviews I've read theres a real chance it could get canelled if the rating don't improve.

I wonder if their finally realising what massive mistake's they have made!

Hopefully they'll push the 'gates as much in the press as they did with Dresden Files. I couldn't go anywhere without seeing a DF ad.

Comment

I don't see why they just move the Dres show to Fridays with BSG, then the Stargates come back to take there spot. That way they have new shows on Friday all year.

Comment

I don't think it matters to them anymore. All it matters is how much they can keep screwing us over.

Comment

Is the channel trying to lose all of its shows? I swear some exec is rubbing his/her hands gleefully and cheering the rise of wrestling on Scifi.

First they ruin the only good night of television they have.
              Then, they cancel SG-1, the only reason their channel got an attention in the first place;
              and now, they mess with BSG, the only other reason anyone paid attention.

If the ratings don't improve, the channel may be cancelling many shows, but it doesn't seem to have any replacements lined up. Oh that's right, they need more space for the man-eating grass, crickets, and furniture movies they show.
              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                Hopefully they'll push the 'gates as much in the press as they did with Dresden Files. I couldn't go anywhere without seeing a DF ad.
                I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, my friend.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  Well. Can't say I'm surprised...
                  But I guess the real test would be how much BSG can draw on a Sunday with no football.
                  Definitely. This week's episode and ratings will really start to tell the story.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't even get SCIFI, as I have already mentioned.

Comment

I think while I was watching the Dresdan Files there was an add for psych on USA. Which I though was odd seeing as that was the first time I saw a USA TV show be advertised on Sci-Fi even though they are sister networks.

Comment

Working...
                      X