Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dresden Files (spoilers for all episodes)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dresden Files (spoilers for all episodes)

I figured I'd start an "official" thread for the discussion of SCIFI's new show, Dresden Files. I know there's another thread containing reviews of the show, but for the most part that seems to be dedicated to why it sucks and how soon it'll fail whereas I want a thread where people who are actually WATCHING the show (and not just to prove how much it sucks) can discuss it.

Spoilers will undoubtedly abound. Tags for eps that have aired aren't necessary unless you really want to, but I'd prefer that stuff which hasn't aired be tagged, please.

So... thoughts?

It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but for all that Jim Butcher (author of the books) has apparently raved about it, I was kinda underwhelmed. There was definitely potential there and I hope things will improve as time goes on, but... a lot of it kinda nagged at me. Part of that is undoubtedly because I read the first three books a few years ago and only remember snippets and part is probably because I only read the first three books and don't have the whole scope of things.

Harry isn't at all like I imagined him to be. He's too cuddly and prone to random flashbacks. Hopefully the flashbacks in the pilot ep were just to set up the season arc, but if they continue I might have to get annoyed.

Also, Bob. WTF? I knew they were going the ghost route instead of having him stay in his skull, but Bob- whom I'd kinda liked in the books- annoyed the snot out of me. The deadpan supercilious air is so NOT Bob. Wasn't he a wisecracker and general letch? Or maybe I'm remembering the books wrong.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep watching. I still like it and I still wanna see where things go.

Haven't read the books, but thorougly enjoyed the show- I really liked Bob, thought he was kinda funny. The blonde lady was annoying, but hopefully we won't see her again, and I liked Harry. Will definitly keep tuning in to see where it goes- there is a lot of potential here.

Comment

I wasn't that impressed by the premiere. It wasn't exactly horrible IMO either. I'll give it a few more episodes, and see if it grows on me some more.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        I wasn't that impressed by the premiere. It wasn't exactly horrible IMO either. I'll give it a few more episodes, and see if it grows on me some more.
        Exactly, IMO it was rather blase. if it doesn't improve it will be gone pretty fast.
        The USS Defiant Rocks!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

I enjoyed it. Production quality was pretty high, good story, good acting for the most part. Some of the acting was a little unpolished, Paul Blackthorne was clearly struggling with the accent. In my opinion it has the makings of a long lasting show, just depends if it can find it's flow early on. Premieres are always sketchy, this is one of the better ones I've seen for a while.

Comment

My husband and I both felt the same. . meh. Wasn't the best, but not the worst. TPTB seemed to just drop the audience into the show without introducing characters, as if they assumed everyone would have read the books and know what was going on. The Harry flashbacks were good, but who were all the other people? Duh. I've lurked around some boards to get an idea of the plot, so I knew about Bob and the policewoman, but I didn't like how they did Bob at all. Hubby had no idea who the other characters were, and still didn't know much at the end.

Will watch again, but it needs some sort of spark to keep me turning in, or else I'll go back to Iron Chef America at 9:00.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I'm tired of the Uptight English Butler type. Even with the dash of dark magic it's not enough to make me like Bob; he's fundamentally flawed in my book and I have a feeling that's going to be the biggest issue I have with the show. And while yes, I am influenced by the Bob I remember from the books I still think this "new and improved" version is flat and irritating.

Comment

I haven't read any of the books but I think I might now as there's some hints of really great reading in the show.

As with everybody else, I thought it was ok. Not good. Not bad.

There have been better first eps, but they layed out the groundwork for exploring the major characters...Harry, the ghost, the uncle, the cop.

I'll definately be giving it a chance as, on the whole, I liked it.
                Thanks!
                Jordan

my page
                My LJ
                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                  My husband and I both felt the same. . meh. Wasn't the best, but not the worst. TPTB seemed to just drop the audience into the show without introducing characters, as if they assumed everyone would have read the books and know what was going on. The Harry flashbacks were good, but who were all the other people? Duh. I've lurked around some boards to get an idea of the plot, so I knew about Bob and the policewoman, but I didn't like how they did Bob at all. Hubby had no idea who the other characters were, and still didn't know much at the end.

Will watch again, but it needs some sort of spark to keep me turning in, or else I'll go back to Iron Chef America at 9:00.
                  No idea where this information originally came from, so no idea how accurate it is, but someone over at the spacecast boards mentioned that they'd heard that this episode isn't the original pilot- and that the pilot doesn't air for a few more weeks.

Which actually makes sense.

Comment

I was underwhelmed as well. It's definitely watchable but there was no wow factor.
                    I thought the flashbacks didn't meld well with the rest of the story. I got the connection and the reason they did it, but it was a bit disjointed.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                      No idea where this information originally came from, so no idea how accurate it is, but someone over at the spacecast boards mentioned that they'd heard that this episode isn't the original pilot- and that the pilot doesn't air for a few more weeks.

That would explain why the episode felt out of place. Leave it to SciFi to do something stupid like that. That's what killed "Firefly" over on Fox, so I guess Skiffy doesn't have a whole lot of confidence in this show if that's how they are treating it the first week it airs.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

That's SCIFI for ya.

I swear, if you aren't given a movie/miniseries to introduce your premise, you're frakked. Let the other eps be out of order if you must (and SCIFI must) but for pity's sake let the INTRODUCTION TO THE SERIES air first.

Fools.

Oh, and I highly recommend the books. Good, light reading.

Comment

Well.... i am not impressed.
                          This seemed like attempt to please everyone, which never works.
                          I was like ".... blah ..." most of the time. Nothing new, rehash of many other shows, but without real meaning.
                          I just felt worse then worse fillers of SG or BSG.

Best indication is that i can't remember show whose piltot i fast-forwarded as much as this one.
                          VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Yeah, it was a little disjointed, transitions suffered. The flashbacks didn't mesh with the story and probably should've been left out. I like the cast, I like the premise, I think it is promising but it wasn't a home run premiere like some shows. We'll see if it can find its feet. I hope it does, it has potential.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hm, I don't know the books, the series catched my interest mainly, because Dresden is the name of a famous and really wonderful city in Germany. And its still a little bit funny that its the name of this wizard.

So, after wtaching it I must say I wasn't that impressed. It was hard to follow the story without knowing most of the characters. How annoying that Sciffy seems to do the same thing like FOX with Firefly.
                              So, still not impressed, but I like the characters, the ideas, the whole background and I bet its going to be great...well...as long as SciFi doesn't screw it.
                              That's all folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X