This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donnie Darko

(Not a full review but a summing up of my thoughts)

One of the weirdest films I have ever seen and yet at the same time one of the most enjoyable and best I've seen. Great performances from the cast (especially from Jake Gyllenhaal), a great story (if virtually impossible to understand ala 2001 A Space Odyessy), and great direction equal up to a nearly flawless film that leaves you scratching your head as to what the hell you just saw but at the same time enjoying it because you didn't get it. Definitly a film everyone should see.

9.5/10

timdalton007

i have little recollection of this movie, but i do remember really enjoying it.

the bunny was great.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

One of my favorite "thinking" scifi films. It gets even better with repeated viewings.

Though I am curious about three unanswered questions:
      Spoiler:
      why was Donnie chosen as a Living Receiver, why does the Living Receiver have to die by the Artifact, and how did the Artifact create a Tangent universe in the first place?

Comment

Woah, this movie was such a trip.....I've only seen it once and keep meaning to buy it (The Director's Cut preferably.....I'm just waiting for it to go on sale). And watch it over. And over. And over. Definitly one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. And Madame President is in it.

Comment

Eh. I 'got' it, but didn't think it was a very good movie at all. Massively overrated.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie over the years. I definitely need to rent it and sit through the whole thing. That way I maybe won't be as confused as I am currently about it.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie over the years. I definitely need to rent it and sit through the whole thing. That way I maybe won't be as confused as I am currently about it.

As for being less confused.....hard to say whether that will happen.

Comment

As far as I can remember, the director's cut features additional clips that make the movie easier to understand than the original cut. Wikipedia also helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                  As far as I can remember, the director's cut features additional clips that make the movie easier to understand than the original cut. Wikipedia also helps.
                  Wow, the article on Wikipedia is still a lot to handle. I think I'd have to watch this movie about 4 or 5 times to get most of it.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

If you haven't seen it yet, or you haven't seen it all, it's better to watch the Theatrical cut first. The director's cut does explain alot more, but it almost explains too much.

So, if you're the type who likes to have a handful of unanswered questions at the end (leaving room for an interesting discussion / using your imagination) see the regular Non-Director's cut first.

On the other hand, if you'd rather have it spelled out a little more right from the beginning, then check out the Director's cut.

Comment

Working...
                    X