This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sci-fi sub genres

the Scifi fantasy grenre i have found has become too broad. so i expanded it into a list of sub genres with examples, what do you think?
    Sci-fi fantasy
    • Realistic future
      • Space
        • Battlestar Galactica
        • Firefly
      • Earth
        • V for vendetta
    • Fanical future
      • Space
        • Star Wars
        • Star Trek
        • Red Dwarf
        • Farscape
        • Dune
        • aliens
      • Earth
        • Children of men
        • Aeon flux
        • Ultra violet
        • Matrix
        • The island
    • Secret government.
      • Space
        • stargate
      • local
        • X files
    • Creature feature
      • Python
      • arachnophobia
    • Vampire
      • blade
    • Super hero
      • Fun
        • Hulk
        • Fantastic 4
      • Serious
        • Batman begins
        • Spiderman
        • Heroes
        • smallvill
    • Strange happenings
      • Everyday
        • Groundhog day
        • Field of dreams
      • Strange places
        • lost
    • Mythos
      • Jason and the Argonauts
      • The Odyssey
      • Hercules
    • New world fantasy
      • Lord of the rings
      • The dark crystal
      • Willow
    • Legendary fantasy
      • Monty python and the holy grail
      • Dragon heart
    Last edited by Rail'k; 08 January 2007, 06:20 AM.
    sigpic

Hello...

Fantasy is Fantasy. It's another genre entirely and as such is not a sub genre of Sci-Fi. The same can be said of the Superhero genre - ergo, I believe their inclusion on this list is wrong, in my opinion.

Also, numerous sub-genres already exist within the Sci-Fi world.

Science - Genres concerning the emphasis, accuracy, and type of science described include:

* Hard science fiction - a particular emphasis on scientific detail and/or accuracy.
    * Soft science fiction - focus on human characters and their relations and feelings, while de-emphasizing the details of technological hardware and physical laws..
    * Firm science fiction - falls between hard science fiction and soft science fiction.
    * Social science fiction - concerned less with technology and space opera and more with sociological speculation about human society.

Characteristics - Themes related to science, technology, space and the future, as well as characteristic plots or settings include:

* Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic science fiction
    o Cosy catastrophe
    * Biopunk - uses elements from the hard-boiled detective novel, film noir, Japanese anime, and post-modernist prose to describe the nihilistic, underground side of the biotech society
    * Dying Earth science fiction
    * Military science fiction
    * Steampunk - denotes works set in (or strongly inspired by) an era when steam power was still widely used — usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian England
    * time travel
    * space colonization
    * Space opera - emphasizes romantic adventure, exotic settings, and larger-than-life characters
    * Spy-fi

Movements - Genres concerning politics, philosophy, and identity movements include:

* Christian science fiction
    o Clerical fiction
    * Feminist science fiction
    * Gay science fiction and Lesbian science fiction
    * Libertarian science fiction

Eras - Genres concerning the historical era of creation and publication include:

* Cyberpunk - noted for its focus on "high tech and low life" and taking its name from the combination of cybernetics and punk
    o Postcyberpunk - typically examining the social effects of an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized informaton, genetic engineering and modification of the human body, and the continued impact of perpetual technological change
    * Golden Age of Science Fiction - a period from the 1940s-1950s during which the science fiction genre gained wide public attention and many classic science fiction stories were published
    * New Wave science fiction - characterised by a high degree of experimentation, both in form and in content
    * Pulp science fiction
    * Scientific romance - an archaic name for what is now known as the science fiction genre, mostly associated with the early science fiction of the United Kingdom

Combinations - Genres that combine two different fiction genres or use a different fiction genre's mood or style include:

* Alternate history science fiction - fiction set in a world in which history has diverged from history as it is generally known
    * Comic science fiction
    * Science fiction erotica
    * Gothic science fiction - a subgenre of science fiction that involves gothic conventions
    * New Wave science fiction - characterised by a high degree of experimentation, both in form and in content
    * Science fantasy - a mixed genre of story which contains some science fiction and some fantasy elements
    * Science fiction romance - fiction which has elements of both the science fiction and romance genres
    * Science fiction Western - fiction which has elements of both the science fiction and Western genres

- Marcus.

Comment

Originally posted by Rail'k View Post
      • Fanical future

*Farscape
      Was does "fanical" means? Something like "alternative"?
      Although, if it meant alternative, it would still be wrong. Farscape isn't set into the future.
      That's all folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwin View Post
        Was does "fanical" means?

Was wondering this too.

And should V for Vendetta be in Superhero Serious? Also curious as to why Spiderman would be in a different listing than the Hulk and Fantastic 4? Just because the movie is better?

Comment

fanical is my word for highly unlikely and i put fanical in there because it was based in the near future.
          sigpic

Comment

I think there are too many ways to subgenrelize things; start down that path and every movie/show ever made could be its own subgenre.

And while the scifi/fantasy genre in general tends to be very imaginative I'm not sure that this list of yours is the best place to introduce your own words/language, especially not when you're inviting comments from the general public- they need to be able to understand what you're saying in order to form opinions.

Also, other than "fanical" I'm not sure how your system is different from the dozens/hundreds/thousands of very similar ways other people have subcategorized fantasy and scifi. I see nothing here and for someone who is complaining about there being "too many" subcategories you've certainly managed to represent quite a few of them. I mean, really, why differentiate between "fun" Superhero movies and "serious" ones? And on what basis do you determine which is which? Some of your assignations seem... random and/or highly biased.

As your own personal system, strictly for you, I'm sure it works fine- after all, you know best how you categorize things- but for the rest of us? I think I'll give it a pass.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 09 January 2007, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X