Back up SGC in Antarctica...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back up SGC in Antarctica...

What if earth was to set up a second SGC (backup) at the old ancient outpost in Antarctica?

They could make some caverns in the ice reinforce it with concrete and steel and use the rings to access it. The base would be protected by the chair device, be hidden under a mile of ice and if invaded the invaders would have nowhere to go. Plus no more evacuating Colorado Springs every time theres a problem. The Antarctic SGC would be able to be concealed more efficiently and be more secretive.

(i do know that only one gate may operate at a time and, if this were to happen it may no longer be a military operation)

sigpic

Well, Atlantis was originally supposed to be in Antarctica. Until SG-1 got renewed again.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

well, right now we only HAVE one gate, so it's kinda hard to have a second outpost
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        well, right now we only HAVE one gate, so it's kinda hard to have a second outpost
        Even if Earth had two stargates, they couldn't actually use both at the same time.

The Alpha/Beta/Gamma Site(s) is(are) their back-up. Has it ever been said how many people are stationed there?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

The lack of a gate keeps a back up site on Earth from working. Also, having back up sites off planet makes a lot more sense because they can keep operating if there is something going on on Earth that prevents regular gate operations.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

not to mention that we already know it's pretty easy for the Priors to destroy whole planets.

Comment

I had an interesting thought the other day- what if for series 3 the continued a MW based series (dont like the idea of ANOTHER series based in a distant galaxy), but move SGC operations to a moonbase?

With all out advanced alien technology, wouldnt be something hard to do, and in lockdown situations Earth would not be in danger??

What do you think?

Comment

It's a possibility but I honestly don't think anyone would watch a moon based Stargate series. Sounds incredibly boring.

Part of SG-1's charm was that it was dealing with Earth on a daily basis and aliens living on Earth, and Earth not knowing about the Stargate, and corrupt political groups ON EARTH.

I just think you need more to drive a show than the moon, and believe me, setting has a lot to do with plot and enjoyment now a days.

Comment

Interesting theory, to say the least.

If something goes wonky at the SGC, then technically, you could beam the gate from one location to the other. don't see why you'd do that though.

And then they'd need international approval. Antarctica is neutral ground. Absolutely no military personnel allowed there on missions. No nation is supposed to have control of that area. Having some international military like they have for the base is one thing, having an entire facility stocked with SF's up the wazoo, and enough arsenal to blow up anything is a completely other story. And the US would definitely want to avoid an international incident if possible.

So yeah, best to stick with Cheyenne for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    How easy would it be to get another one.
                    Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                    Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                    Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                    Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                    You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                    Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                    One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                    You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                    The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                    www.7-scales.co.uk
                    http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Originally posted by cowpants;6163121.
                      And then they'd need international approval. Antarctica is neutral ground. Absolutely no military personnel allowed there on missions. No nation is supposed to have control of that area. Having some international military like they have for the base is one thing, having an entire facility stocked with SF's up the wazoo, and enough arsenal to blow up anything is a completely other story. And the US would definitely want to avoid an international incident if possible.
                      I agree. International treaties forbid the use of Antarctica for military purposes. The same goes for the moon.

Besides, both these places are difficult to reach and difficult to supply. You can't even get ships into Antarctica for six months out of the year.

Though I suppose if you used beaming technology, the problem would be solved. It just makes the site dependent on keeping an Asgard-class ship in orbit just to supply the base.

Cheyenne Mountain is really about as secure as you can get on Planet Earth. For strategic reasons, I think an off-world back-up site would be better, something out of the main line of battle, should Earth be attacked. Something with its own gate, that can also be reached by ship, if necessary. Something that can survive on its own for extended periods, should that become necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
                        Cheyenne Mountain is really about as secure as you can get on Planet Earth. For strategic reasons, I think an off-world back-up site would be better, something out of the main line of battle, should Earth be attacked. Something with its own gate, that can also be reached by ship, if necessary. Something that can survive on its own for extended periods, should that become necessary.
                        ie the Alpha site lol

Comment

Yes, or the Beta site, or Gamma, or whatever they're on, now . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X