PDA

View Full Version : M. Night Shyamalan [possible spoilers for ALL his movies]

D.C.
May 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone else looking forward to M Night Shyamalan's next move 'The Village'. The new trailer is online and can be found here (http://thevillage.movies.com/) at the official website. This movie looks awesome. What's your favourite M Night Shayamalan movie. (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs) Mine would be Signs. It's one of the best movies ever made. :)

MoyasManiac
May 6th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I cant wait! its the film im most looking forward to this year, the trailer looks great! :) my favorite film that M Night Shyamalan has done has to be signs! infact, just like you its one of my favorite films. M Night Shyamalan's films just have such a unique feel... i cant explain it, but i think you know what i mean :D

cheers for the post, its nice to see someone else out there who likes M Night Shyamalan's work. :cool:

Harry (MoyasManiac)

D.C.
May 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. They're all atmospheric.

Supreme Commander Thor
May 17th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I watched a bunch of Night Stalker episodes today. I hadn't seen it for years! What a fun show that was back in the 70's. Anyone else seen it lately?

petzke_42
May 17th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Remember the cartoon "Night Stalkers?" That Morrigan is hottttt....

Ann_Ominous
May 18th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I didn't see any of the eps, but I did see some a couple of months ago. I did watch it back in the 70's. My favorite ep was the one with the t-rex type dino momma in the sewers that was after her missing egg.

Supreme Commander Thor
May 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM
I didn't see any of the eps, but I did see some a couple of months ago. I did watch it back in the 70's. My favorite ep was the one with the t-rex type dino momma in the sewers that was after her missing egg.
HAHAHAH!! That was one of the ones on yesterday!! It was great!!! lol... the other one that was on was where that Crosby chick from the 70's was Helen of Troy and was sacrificing people to the gods... heheh... what a great show!

Xzyl
May 19th, 2004, 02:55 PM
The headless biker and UFO were my favorites. I still remeber the headless biler one from when I was a kid.

D.C.
June 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Is anyone else anticipating this movie? I just saw the teaser trailer before Dawn of the Dead. Even though I've seen it before on the net, it's cool to see on the big screen. :)

Roatbaum
June 10th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I'm looking forward to it as well. This guy M. Night Shyamalan has a really strange genius for telling stories.

D.C.
June 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Heh, I can watch the trailer for The Village over and over again. It's awesome. :)

David
June 28th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I am SOOOO looking forward to this film, it's not funny. I think he tapped a suspense in Signs that struck a chord with movie goers. I don't remember the exact critic review for Signs, but it went something like "Many directors can effect our minds. Night makes it explode."

I didn't care for Unbreakable, but if I had to pick, it'd be Sixth Sense. But both it and Signs are easily in my top 15 favorite films of all time. I also love Sigourney Weaver, and haven't seen her in anything in a while, so this is a can't-miss. Probably opening night :). No. DEFINITELY opening night.

D.C.
June 28th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Yup, I'll be seeing it as soon as it opens here in Australia. I'll probably go to a late night session, so there's not as many people in the audience. It opens September here. I thought Unbreakable was awesome, but The Sixth Sense and Signs is definately better. :)

D.C.
July 15th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I've already got a thread for The Village, I was wondering what you thought of these other movies. Signs would be my favourite movie of all-time. The Sixth Sense would be pretty high up in the list as well. Unbreakable is also an awesome movie. :) It's going to be cool when his new movie is released. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
With all of Night's 'really good' movies, i have a feeling his chain of spectular movies will end, but yah, nevermind, all his movies are and will be good :)

D.C.
July 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I've got all of them on DVD. (Except for Praying with Anger and Wide Awake.) I like it how he puts movie's he made as a kid on his DVDs. M. Night Shyamalan is awesome. We've got to wait until September for the new movie though. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 15th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Yah, his movies when he was young'er was halriously funny, even when their not supposed to, but i mean that in a good way :) Especially the home made movie that was on the Sixth Sense dvd, haha, i totally loved the special effects ;)

D.C.
July 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I don't think that one's on the Australian The Sixth Sense DVD. I like the one on the Unbreakable disc. It's pretty funny. The one on the Signs DVD is also funny. :) M. Night Shyamalan is awesome. :)

Anthro Girl
July 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
While I really, really enjoyed The Sixth Sense, I have been disappointed in his other features, especially Signs. I thought it was really good up until about the last 15 minutes or so. Same thing with Unbreakable. It isn't a criticism of his directing, which I think is wonderful, but rather the weakness of the story. I'm hoping that it won't be the case with The Village.

Wasn't Signs the movie Carter was criticising in S7's Orpheus?

Danny-boy
July 18th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I think I saw the Sixth Sense once a long time ago, but I HAVE seen Signs. It's a really cool movie, even though the only funny part is when they're wearing tinfoil hats.
Every year, one of my friends has this movie birthday party and we always watch Signs at least once. We've seen it so many times that we scream when the aliens come out just for the fun of it (although I just start cracking up at everybody else screaming) I think the aliens are ugly but cool
Anyway, that's the only movie im sure ive seen

Bast
July 18th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Signs is absurd, A priest regains his faith after a alien invasion! LOL! That would put someones faith into a black hole if it happend.

Secondly why did the aliens suck so much? First of all they cant break down a wooden door but can master interstellar travel, I dont by the idea its because they dont want a nuclear war geez bring some small hand ray guns atleast, Finally the biggest idiot mistake by the aliens why attack a world with 60% H20? If it so much as rains they are finnished, Also water is so easy to get and use on the aliens by the humans its rediculous, A little kid with a water pistol could kill them. They came to harvest human beings but we are made of 70% water the same acid material that disintergrates them in seconds.

Torley
July 19th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Signs is absurd, A priest regains his faith after a alien invasion! LOL! That would put someones faith into a black hole if it happend.

Secondly why did the aliens suck so much? First of all they cant break down a wooden door but can master interstellar travel, I dont by the idea its because they dont want a nuclear war geez bring some small hand ray guns atleast, Finally the biggest idiot mistake by the aliens why attack a world with 60% H20? If it so much as rains they are finnished, Also water is so easy to get and use on the aliens by the humans its rediculous, A little kid with a water pistol could kill them. They came to harvest human beings but we are made of 70% water the same acid material that disintergrates them in seconds.

I haven't actually seen Signs, but I saw how this was spoofed in Scary Movie 3. SOOO funny... hahaha Charlie Sheen made exactly the same point you did, did you see it? They do a joke about the tinfoil hats too.

I wonder if all of this was meant to be a joke or if it was an homage to the ending of War of the Worlds or something.

The greatest twist to an M. Night Shyamalan movie just might be not having a twist at all ;)

On the upside, these guys are the redneck relatives of the Asgard. :o

D.C.
July 24th, 2004, 01:31 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/the_village/trailer_3/index.html

There's a new trailer released. I can't wait for this movie. We've got to wait until September 9th in Australia, though. That tree looks pretty spooky. :)

DAL SHAKKA MEL
July 24th, 2004, 11:33 AM
because alot of it was kinda hard to belive. so was it real or fake?

joshing123
July 26th, 2004, 08:37 AM
because alot of it was kinda hard to belive. so was it real or fake?

It was a "mockumentary" that, according to the network or the network's owner's (don't remember) was advertised in a manner inconsistent with their values... aka they got railed on for misleading viewers.

Larry
July 26th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Blair Witch Concept revisited.

D.C.
July 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM
It's getting some awesome preview reviews. :)

David85
July 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah Sci-Fi said is was real, and lead people on but it was 100% crap.

Torley
July 26th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Yes, I'm disappointed because this wasn't a clever illusion by way of circumstances and perspective: this was a SHAM. Sorry to say it, I mean, I wanna like M. Night Shyamalan more, but people have been calling him SHAM-land for this and I can see why there's a Village boycott starting up. Truth: don't use deceptive marketing tactics like this in the current day and age -- it ain't Barnum & Bailey time anymore. Even Blair Witch didn't stretch it like this.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14545,00.html?tnews

The biggest twist for him, using his psychology, is gonna be if there is NO twist. Who'd expect that? :D

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM
So what was the supposed secret of M. Night Shymalan? I had no interest in watching it but I'm kind of curious now as to what the upheaval is all about. I can't help but thinking that this is great publicity for him and his movie. Bad publicity is better than no publicity.

Torley
July 26th, 2004, 09:45 PM
LOL, Shipperahoy, I would have said that last sentence too... except, remember what did to Catwoman? (just a few weeks ago.)

There was TONS of bad publicity for that, and the estimated opening of the flick kept dropping and dropping and now it's at a really low place, as everyone knows. So I'd have to say there's a certain amount of notoriety or controversy, sure that can help, but it still has to be "spun" like all publicity. I mean, look at Michael Jackson.

There is no buried secret. This, quoted from another wire article, of course, is the supposed:

The documentary, scheduled to air Sunday, says a mysterious drowning of a
child in a lake near Shyamalan's boyhood home in the Philadelphia area had
profoundly affected his life and fueled his interest in the supernatural.
That's not true either, Hammer said.

Originally the twist to The Village was supposed to be that the Village is stuck in modern times and that construction workers are mucking about, being the "monsters" that the Village people are so scared of. Before I even read this, my own bet was hedged on a sort of Truman Show living nightmare where a Discovery Channel-type conglomeration was filming the Village folks' lives as reality TV and scaring them into isolation.

I wonder what kind of twist it will be now :)

Elwe Singollo
July 31st, 2004, 08:14 PM
(Major SPOILERS for "The Village," including the major plot twists, appear in the this thread. Proceed with extreme caution!)

Ok, who else watched this? I liked the characters and everything, the actors did perfect acting, but i was just so mad at the twists! Gosh... :(

DownFallAngel
August 1st, 2004, 07:49 AM
This movie sucked! There was one scary part, when she was in that area, and it was all red flowers....thats it.

I knew the ending was going to be like the truman show....I KNEW IT!

Elwe Singollo
August 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM
I was so sad :( Haha... Yah that part was scary, but if u knew who it was, it wasn't scary, haha...

DownFallAngel
August 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM
Well, once you walk in...you were kinda like..."Ooo this is gunna be scary!!!" And when you walked out...I was like "I WANT 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE BACK ALONG WITH 8 BUCKS!!!!!" Thats when they threw me out.

I knew...I should have seen I, ROBOT. Of course I heard from everyone it was amazing, so I went to go see THE VILLAGE.....LET DOWN!

Elwe Singollo
August 1st, 2004, 09:22 AM
Take it from me I, Robot actually has the gender in the movie, action and comedy, haha...

Shipperahoy
August 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
So for those of us who aren't willing to lose 8 bucks what is the twist?

Elwe Singollo
August 1st, 2004, 10:23 AM
Theres actually 2 twists, one being that theres no actual monster, and 2 is that they aren't actually living in the old days, well the people are still living like a village in the old days, we find out that its actually present day.

Anthro Girl
August 1st, 2004, 10:28 AM
I gathered from the buzz that it was another stinker. Looks like Shyamalan is a one-hit wonder after all...:rolleyes:

Meh...I'll probably rent it when it comes out as I like the cast. ;)

Elwe Singollo
August 1st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Yah, although the movie was just awful, i thought the actors did their best, which was amazing through my eyes. But to some people, this movie didn't suck at all, haha...

Anthro Girl
August 1st, 2004, 10:53 AM
But to some people, this movie didn't suck at all, haha...
There's just no accounting for taste... :p

Elwe Singollo
August 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM
Hehe... I grown to love the characters in the movie, even though they were stuck in a retarded movie :rolleyes:

Anthro Girl
August 1st, 2004, 10:58 AM
I was just informed by Husband that we will, indeed, see this movie eventually. It was filmed in the area where he grew up.*sigh* I guess that's some reason...but it's still a rental. ;)

Elwe Singollo
August 1st, 2004, 11:01 AM
I want to see special features, i'm sure theres some goodies inside the DVD.

DownFallAngel
August 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
The one highlight of this movie was the Batman: BEGINS trailer.

Universal Nexus
August 2nd, 2004, 04:13 PM
The one highlight of this movie was the Batman: BEGINS trailer.

Alright, a movie is definitely HORRID if the highlight is a movie trailer. Hehe. Thanks, I know I'm not going to go see this one. I didn't like Signs either, now that I think of it...

Darren
August 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
I liked it well enough -- better than Signs, not as good as the first two. The twists are a bit more predictable, but the acting and characters are great.

DownFallAngel
August 2nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
The actors did an awesome job, the characters were great, the theme was great....the movie sucked!

Elwe Singollo
August 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Its usually, bad acting, good movie, hahah...

Larry
August 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
I'm in the minority, but I liked it. Just because there wasn't any big supernatural twist like "The Sixth Sence", doesn't make it awful. Maybe it's not somebodies "cup of tea" so to speak, but I thought the story was well developed. Assuming you demand "reality" in film, then the premise is pretty far fetched that such a living situation could actually exist, especially in the United States. If you can't get past that, then ok. I did, and really enjoyed the film.

LoneStar1836
August 5th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I saw this yesterday, and I liked it well enough, and it only cost me $3. :p M. Night S. will probably never best "Sixth Sense", but this movie didn't totally suck. It was better than "Signs" as far as the twist at the end, IMO. I didn't have my hopes set extremely high going to see it because his movies are rather bizarre anyway. I like Joaquin Phoenix. Loved him in “Gladiator” which I think is his best work, IMO. Ron Howard’s daughter, Dallas, did an excellent job I thought. M. Night. S. had me convinced they were living back in the 1800’s. I think I liked the underlying point of the movie though more than the upfront plot. These people had secluded themselves to avoid monsters and they end up being “monsters” to their children in that they would rather watch them die from preventable disease or injury rather than help them knowing that they could. They end up subjecting their children to tragedy anyway that could have been prevented by living in the modern world. How ironic that they go to that length and then their children still have to suffer, i.e. the child dying at the beginning, Ivy being blind, Luscious facing the possibility of death, etc. So all in all the movie wasn’t a total waste. Just my opinion.

Anthro Girl
August 5th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Ok, who else watched this? I liked the characters and everything, the actors did perfect acting, but i was just so mad at the twists! Gosh... :(
Shyamalan = twists in final act. That's his schtick. ;)

Elwe Singollo
August 5th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I think they escaped all the possible tragedy that happened in the city/towns, like being shot, raped, mugged, etc, like the ones mentioned in the movie, but how retarded of them not to bring some medicine with them!

Zalax Zal
August 6th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Oooooo! I hated that movie! The plot twist made me soooooooo mad! I agree the actors did a very good job but the twist!! I HATED IT!! ARGH!

Zal

Elwe Singollo
August 6th, 2004, 02:19 PM
If they redid... the second half of the movie, and changed somethings around, like the whole monster thing, and change the end twist, i think it would have been tons better :)

D.C.
August 23rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
The Australian release date has been pushed forward to September 2.

DownFallAngel
August 24th, 2004, 06:00 AM
I hate to burst your guys bubble, but this movie is going to be very disappointing at the end. So choose wisely if you realllllllly want to see it or not.

Larry
August 25th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I didn't have a problem with the way the film ended. I liked it all the way through. I thought Bryce Dallas Howard (little Opie's daughter) was pretty amazing in her role. Probably nothing that will challege for best picture once the acadamy awards are awarded, but still (at least in my opinion), a good solid film.

Elwe Singollo
August 25th, 2004, 09:00 PM
I think everything but the story to the movie was good, i dón't know why i feel that, but i just do. Maybe people like how the movie ended, but i didn't.

Crazedwraith
August 26th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Non-spoilerery thread?

Let me just say It's BORING
Of course the only other M. N ight film i've seen was "Unbreakable" and that ithe village is not as good as that one

:D the only thing I know about signs is Major Carter opinion on it. :D

Larry
August 26th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I'm not trying to change anybodies minds, but for me the film was neither boring or had a bad ending. I was comlpetely satisfied with it. I'm probably in the minority, but I guess that all can be chalked up to personal taste.

Roatbaum
August 26th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I saw this movie last night and found it really good. I thought it was very compelling, and the end was great. I think Shyamalon is a genius. That is just my opinion.

D.C.
October 5th, 2004, 12:47 AM
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/553/553912p1.html

That links got info on the January 11 release of The Village on DVD. I'm definately going to get this. Hopefully it'll be released in Australia around the same time. Who's planning on getting The Village on DVD?

Elwe Singollo
October 5th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I dont think i'll get this, maybe a rent from Blockbuster, but i was just... nvm, i'm gonna rent it to see if theres any interesting special features :D but other than that, no interest into the movie...

D.C.
October 27th, 2004, 10:21 PM
The Australian DVD release date was announced today. It's scheduled for January 12.

D.C.
January 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Just a heads up The Village is released on DVD this week in the U.S. and Australia atleast.

Sm0keY
January 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM
pity :(

D.C.
January 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM
It's an awesome movie. :)

QueenKale
January 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I didn't see it in the theatre, but I love M. Night and I was thinking of renting it. But my question for those who have seen it is, is the 'surprise,' whatever it is, good? Is it something you don't expect or did you see it 5 yards off?

D.C.
January 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I didn't expect the suprise, my advice is not to spoil anything about the movie. It's one of those movies that people either love or hate. I love the movie, it's definately worth seeing and if you're a Shyamalan fan there's a good chance you're in the love category as well. :)

D.C.
January 11th, 2005, 02:58 AM
There was just a commercial on Australian TV advertising the DVD.

Crazedwraith
January 11th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't keep it if some one threw it through one of my windows. Let alone pay good money for it.

D.C.
January 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I take it you're in the hate it category. :D

I love the movie. :) Infact I'm buying it today on DVD. :)

kelmah
January 17th, 2005, 04:13 PM
For those who want to see it on DVD, but don't want to waste $ to rent it, visit your LOCAL LIBRARY!!

defina91rvc
January 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
incredible movie with a great twist. im buying it when i get the money.

Bast
January 20th, 2005, 09:36 PM
The Village Is probaily the 2nd best movie he has ever made its not quite like what the previews make it too be though , Unbreakable was a big bore fest and the only fun part was laughing at its rediculous and ludicrous story ,Signs was a ok pop corn movie if you shut your brain off and dont mind the plot holes.

Sixth sense is still the best movie he has made.

I found the forgotten actually is a good movie that M Night Shamalon fans will enjoy , I wont spoil that like someone spoilt it on me even though it was still good anyways.

D.C.
January 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
I'm a fan of all Shyamalan movies: I'd probably rank Signs as my favourite, then The Sixth Sense and The Village tied in second place, then Unbreakable. There all great movies, though. All valuable additions to my DVD collection. You're right about The Forgotten it does sort of have a Shyamalan feel to it, plus it has the scares as well.

D.C.
March 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Heads up! M. Night Shyamalan's next project according to Cinescape is 'Lady in the Water' and is scheduled to start filming in August '05 for a July '06 release date. It sounds pretty different from his other movies. Sounds like it has the potential to be awesome, though. :) I know people were mixed on 'The Village', but I thought it was pretty damn awesome. :D

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=44818

IMForeman
March 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Cool. I love Shamalayan's stuff. My only problem with "The Villiage" is that I guessed the outcome before the movie even started... I'd already enountered a similar fake out about a month before.

-IMF

D.C.
March 24th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I didn't twig on the ending, but that's cause I had been anticipating the movie for months and had my own theory on what was going to happen. :D

D.C.
March 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=48398

Look who Shyamalan's looking to cast in Lady in the Water. Bryce Dallas Howard... aka Ivy Walker from The Village. That's cool how he carries over actors from movie-to-movie. Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense then Unbreakable, Joaquin Phoenix in Signs and The Village, and now BDH in The Village and Lady in the Water. :D

Blue Banrigh
March 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I just think it's cool how it's a semi-mermaid movie (well at least it sounds like one). :D

D.C.
March 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it sort of does, but it will have the Shyamalan twist. :D

Blue Banrigh
March 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Is it going to be a horror/thriller kind of movie like Signs and The Village?

D.C.
March 30th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure... It sort of sounds more like The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable to me...

D.C.
March 30th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I just read at FilmForce that it's been classified as a Fantasy Thriller...

Blue Banrigh
April 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Fantasy Thriller, I like the sound of that. :D

Kinda off on a tangent, but still in the general area, Brad Kern (the creator of Charmed) is making another series about a mermaid. Is there going to be a trend?

D.C.
April 2nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Let's hope not. It's almost a given that Shyamalan will put an original twist on the concept. Maybe that's why he's doing it with Warner Bros. instead of Touchstone (Disney)...

defina91rvc
April 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Fantasy Thriller, I like the sound of that. :D

Kinda off on a tangent, but still in the general area, Brad Kern (the creator of Charmed) is making another series about a mermaid. Is there going to be a trend?

a movie called Aquamarine is beng released April 14, 2006 (according to the optonline movie section.) the synopsis is as follows:
Synopsis:
Two girls discover a mermaid in the pool of their neighborhood beach club. When the mermaid develops a crush on a boy who works at the club, the girls plot to return her to the sea to save her life.

its classified as a "romance comedy",

Blue Banrigh
April 4th, 2005, 03:13 AM
That's three...

Thanks for the link... *Looking at IMDB* Jojo? As in the singer? Looks like another teen movie... M Night's project looks all the better now. :D

FoolishPleasure
April 4th, 2005, 04:40 AM
I heard that this film is going to be a twist on the old film, "Splash" - with M. Night's own style of filmmaking.

I loved Bryce in "The Village" (was hoping she would get an Oscar nom. :( ) and look forward to her in this film.

D.C.
April 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Do you suppose Touchstone didn't want to do it cause it would clash with Disney's The Little Mermaid. :D

I'm looking forward to Shyamalan's next project.

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
January 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Don't kill me if I got his name wrong...

But I really like all his movies and I was wondering if anyone else likes them as much as I do. :) If you like them (or don't) and want to discuss any, here's the place! :D

The first thing I'd like to ask is... am I the only one who liked Lady in the Water?? I loved it, but no matter who I talk to (except a few of my friends) they say they thought it was dumb... I try to explain that it may be because they were expecting something different - maybe because his other movies were so different. Another possible reason would be if they prefer sci fi over fantasy and didn't like the whole "bedtime-story" thing. Any thoughts?

yaaayoubetcha
January 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM
he doesn't do much for me.

I watched 6th Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village and really...and this is just me...he's a 1 trick pony with 'the twist' at the end, but the twist is never that twisty and is generally fairly predictable so there's not much drama to them.

Well no...there is drama...I enjoyed 6th Sense and The Village and Unbreakable was a pretty good comic movie, but again, the twists are not that twisty so you're left with the build up to not that big a payoff.

I've become sufficiently disenchanted with his work that I had no desire to see his last one...Lady in the Water.

If he comes out with something new and it looks like he's changed his formula, then I might go see it, but as it stands, I'm done.

ShadowMaat
January 4th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I like his movies, too. I wouldn't say they were spectacular or the best things EVAR, but I always enjoy them. I liked Lady in the Water, too, although I was a bit surprised by the apparent lack of a pivotal twist, which is one of his trademarks.

January 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I've become sufficiently disenchanted with his work that I had no desire to see his last one...Lady in the Water.

If he comes out with something new and it looks like he's changed his formula, then I might go see it, but as it stands, I'm done.
Well, as ShadowMaat said, Lady in the Water actually is pretty different from the others. I mean, it has the same feel, but at the same time I think it has a lot more humor. I'll admit, a wasn't very surprised by the twist at the end of The Village, but the shock of Noah stabbing Lucious was a big enough twist for me... I don't know about you, though. Also, I agree that all his movies have a fair amount of drama. So, you can still enjoy them even if you've already got the end figured out. :D

I like his movies, too. I wouldn't say they were spectacular or the best things EVAR, but I always enjoy them. I liked Lady in the Water, too, although I was a bit surprised by the apparent lack of a pivotal twist, which is one of his trademarks.
I'd agree, they're not the best thing EVAR... :p

I mean... what was different about that one is it really wasn't like his others movies, mostly because his other movies were written as... well, movies. So was this one, of course, but it was mostly based on an actual bedtime story that he had made for his daughters. If you get the DVD version, he talks all about it in the special features. I think it's really cute, actually. :D

Still, I wouldn't say they're the best movies ever. Just some of my personal favs. :D

MarshAngel
January 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I think he was overhyped much to his misfortune because he still produces good work but only if you stop comparing everything to the Sixth Sense. I think he and marketing peeps should really stop marketing his films as if they are going to be as great as The Sixth Sense, revolutionary or mind bending when all they really are are nice watchable films.

I haven't hated or even truly disliked anything he's done but I have been disappointed in the incomplete nature of some of his endings...namely, Lady in the Water which I really liked but would have liked much better if it were five mins longer and more wrapped up. Other than that, I was very amused.

I really liked Unbreakable too. I Wasn't too thrilled with The Village but everything about Signs was good... right up until the ending which was a little silly but still didn't wreck the movie.

I've heard some people really hate on his films calling them cow dung etc. and I can't help but think they have ridiculously high expectations. He's just a director. I don't think he's a world class genius but his films are certainly better than ...The Mask 2, Cheaper by the dozen and a whole slew of really dumb crap.

ShadowMaat
January 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I LIKED the twist in Signs. Although why aliens who are killed by water would invade a planet of mostly water (and people who are mostly water) is beyond me. ;)

I was kinda meh on Unbreakable and the Village was... annoying? I still liked it, but it kinda bugged me, too.

I can't say I've been comparing everything to Sixth Sense, but I do hope that Lady in the Water means that he's going to get away from the "shocking twist" endings because I think it makes his films- as interesting as they tend to be- too formulaic/predictible. You may not know WHAT is going to happen, but you know SOMETHING will. I wasted most of LitW trying to figure out what the twist would be instead of enjoying the movie for what it was.

ShadowMaat
January 11th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Just caught the news (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070109g.php) about Shyamalan doing a live-action adaptation of Nickelodeon's Avatar: the Last Airbender and I gotta say... I'm not very pleased by the news. I like Shyamalan and I like Avatar, but together...? Not so sure.

I'd almost forgotten MNS was involved with the first Stuart Little movie. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for his kiddie flicks, if you ask me. ;)

Guess we'll have to wait and see, but maybe I'll just tune out this news for a while.

The Ori
January 11th, 2007, 05:31 AM
I actually his movies!! Signs was really good!

PG15
January 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Admittantly I've only seen "Unbreakable", but I LOVED it. The theme that any one of us might be more than meets the eye, and that we might become much much more, really appeals to me.

And the music was great.

January 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I LIKED the twist in Signs. Although why aliens who are killed by water would invade a planet of mostly water (and people who are mostly water) is beyond me. ;)
Me too, Signs was the first one I saw (I think the main reason I saw it was for Mel Gibson), then The Sixth Sense was on TV and I liked that one, too. I didn't realize until later that the same guy had done both movies and, when I did, I decided to go ahead and check out The Village (LitW wasn't out yet).

My biggest problem with his movies really don't have much to do with his movies at all... What I can't stand are the commercials! They make his movies seem like pointless horror movies (I hate horror movies... not because they scare me, most of the time their plots leave much to be desired ;)), so when I saw a commercial for LitW, I wasn't at all interested... until I found out that he had done it. :D

Just caught the news (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070109g.php) about Shyamalan doing a live-action adaptation of Nickelodeon's Avatar: the Last Airbender and I gotta say... I'm not very pleased by the news. I like Shyamalan and I like Avatar, but together...? Not so sure.
I've never seen Avatar. I've heard of it, but I've never really had any reason to watch it. I'll admit, though, I kinda just assumed it was like most Nickelodeon shows (total cra-... not so good stuff). OK, I'll also admit to the occasional Spongebob... *hangs head in shame* Anyway, from what I read in the link you gave, it does sound pretty interesting. :cool:

I actually his movies!! Signs was really good!
:D I think The Sixth Sense was my favorite, but Signs was really good, too.

Admittantly I've only seen "Unbreakable", but I LOVED it. The theme that any one of us might be more than meets the eye, and that we might become much much more, really appeals to me.

And the music was great.
Actually... Unbreakable is the only one I haven't seen... *makes note: put Unbreakable on Netflix list*

PG15
January 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I've never seen Avatar. I've heard of it, but I've never really had any reason to watch it. I'll admit, though, I kinda just assumed it was like most Nickelodeon shows (total cra-... not so good stuff). OK, I'll also admit to the occasional Spongebob... *hangs head in shame* Anyway, from what I read in the link you gave, it does sound pretty interesting. :cool:

Oh yes, it's great; it's not at all like any of the other Nick shows. This one actually has a plot and realistic characters!

Admiral Mappalazarou
January 17th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I've seen Sixth Sense, The Village and Unbreakable. I thought that Unbreakable was the best lol I heard that they were planning a sequel though so has anyone heard any news on that? I think I read it on wikipedia....

FoolishPleasure
January 17th, 2007, 05:10 AM

James Cameron (Titanic) is also doing an "Avatar" based on an Anime series. The two projects are too much alike for me and actually neither sounds interesting. Maybe they both should go on to something else.

As for "Lady in the Water", that was very different and my whole family enjoyed it. I really identified with the kooky apartment dwellers - I lived in a place like that once. *LOL*

travis
January 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Sorry but I think all his movie are boring as I feel asleep in most.

Atlantis1
January 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I like all his movie but Unbreakable. His movies are the type I like to just sit back and have fun waiting. His children sure have it great because Lady in the Water was a real bedtime story he told them. The ones I was read when I was a girl were okay but this would have been alot more fun.

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
James Cameron (Titanic) is also doing an "Avatar" based on an Anime series. The two projects are too much alike for me and actually neither sounds interesting. Maybe they both should go on to something else.
From what I understand they aren't very similar except for the word "Avatar" in the title.

Shyamalan's Avatar is about a young boy who must (re)master his magical abilities with the four elements in order to defeat the greedy Fire Nation.

Cameron's Avatar is about "...a paralyzed ex-marine who employs an experimental avatar, one that happens to be a giant alien humanoid creature."

Way over-simplifying things, but I still don't think they're very similar. I'm wary of both projects, but if they get made, I'll probably see them anyway. ;)

tagger
January 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Love the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender,

But, I do not like Shyamalans recent movie offerings.

Liked 6th Sense and Signs, but other than that, so-so with his stuff.

Good cartoon + Shyamalan = unpredictable results.

Nonetheless, I will probably take my daughter.

January 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I've seen Sixth Sense, The Village and Unbreakable. I thought that Unbreakable was the best lol I heard that they were planning a sequel though so has anyone heard any news on that? I think I read it on wikipedia....
I don't know, I haven't heard anything. Then again, I normally don't hear anything about a particular movie until I see the trailer. :D

As for "Lady in the Water", that was very different and my whole family enjoyed it. I really identified with the kooky apartment dwellers - I lived in a place like that once. *LOL*
I agree. I've never lived in an apartment, but all the characters just seemed so... normal. There was not much special about most of them, just your everyday, average people. And that's what made me appreciate the movie even more. :) I thought it was done very well.

I like all his movie but Unbreakable. His movies are the type I like to just sit back and have fun waiting. His children sure have it great because Lady in the Water was a real bedtime story he told them. The ones I was read when I was a girl were okay but this would have been alot more fun.
I know, they are lucky! And the fact that he made the story for them just made the movie even better, IMO. :) It almost made me feel like a kid again. :D But at the same time, it was exciting for grown-ups, too.

Admiral Mappalazarou
February 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I thikn that Unbreakable is his best and one of my favourite films.

PG15
February 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Mine too!

I just thought it was cool, until I read some guy's review on IMDB, where he pointed out all of the comic book symbolisms. It was surreal how many there were.

Darkstar
February 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I read afterwards that the movie "Unbreakable" was a comic book styled movie, I always used to think it was just rather supernatural and it leaves the viewer to make their own mind up...?

Signs was probably my favourite, If I can overlook the obvious plot hole concerning the alien's aversion to water then it is pretty dramatic, and makes me jump a little.

The idea of of "Signs" that most people I have spoken to about it is that it is basically a movie about a man who has lost faith, the wrap up to that is Alien's are invading Earth to take the humans and feed upon them, I think that alien eating human part could have been emphasised more so than just a few tall aliens running around and scaring the s**t outta people.

The "Village" was neither really here nor there, it was dramatic and if I hadn't known the ending already it may have made an impression on me..meh! oh well.

haven't gotten around to seeing LITW yet, didn't appeal to me that much.