This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider your self a Sci-fi Junkie?!?

Hey, i am doing research into audiences and i have decided to use science fiction fans And what better place to start then here

I would realli appriciate Any amount of answers... answered

1.Do you like Science fiction and why? Yes/no

2. Would you consider your self a fan? yes/no

3. what is your perception of a stereo typical fan?

4.As a fan (if applicable) would you fall under this catorgory?

5. Is there anyhting about science Fiction that no other genre has? (if any one says space .. so help me! )

6. Are more interlectual or Acedemic people attracted to science fiction.

Thankyou to anyone that takes the time to help me
    Last edited by AnubisWarrior; 03 January 2007, 06:25 AM.

1. Do you like science-fiction and why?
    I love science fiction. For me, it's a strange hybrid of escapism and a means of evaluating contemporary world issues in a way that no other genre can.

2. Would you consider yourself a fan?
    How does this question differ from the first? Of course I consider myself a fan! There's rarely a sci-fi series that I don't like.

3. What is your perception of a stereotypical fan?
    Honestly, when someone says sci-fi fan, my first reaction is to think of that movie "Trekkies". My image of the stereotypical sci-fi fan is the nerd who lives in his mom's basement at the age of 35--and whose personal hygiene and fitness are sorely lacking.

4. As a fan (if applicable) would you fall under this catorgory?
    Nah. I wear glasses, and I'm a little out of shape, but I'll be damned if I'm going to live with my parents for even another year--and I loathe germs. I don't even like to share drinks with people.

5. Is there anything about science-fiction that no other genre has?
    Science-fiction, I think, is a genre unique in its ability to approach hot-button contemporary issues where other genres cannot. Take for example Battlestar Galactica; a series which has dealt with issues such as abortion, POW abuse, and rape--to name just a few. How often do these issues come up in ordinary prime-time television?

6. Are more intellectual or academic people attracted to science fiction?
    At the risk of sounding elitist, I do think that intellectuals and academics are attracted to sci-fi more than most groups of people.

7. What is it about science fiction that interests you?
    Isn't this really the same as #1? Same answer
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wow thanks alot!
      Great start 4 me

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisWarrior View Post

5. Is there anyhting about science Fiction that no other genre has? (if any one says space .. so help me! )

1) yes - i started to enjoy SF long before i ever watched any SF movie / show... number of SF books i read is far greater then shows / movies i watched. i prefer books over shows / movies. and i prefer SF books over any other kind
        2) yes - i really enjoy SF and wanna get as much as i can
        3) i dont have one
        4) no
        5) hard one ... but shortest answer would be - possibilities
        6) don't know
        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Yes! I think that science fiction is the most versatile genre out there (along with Fantasy), on one level it's escapist, but on a much deeper level, good science fiction is completly the opposite. I love that sometimes I can watch the same episdoe of a sci-fi show for the pure escapism, and watch it another time to see something beyond that surface escapism, or see comepletly different and valid views each time I watch it. Really good science fiction works on both levels- in the best you can lose yourself in the excitement and subconsciously ponder the deeper themes at the same time.
          I love science fiction movies and novels as well, but I love the story-telling format of television best for science fiction, at least at the moment, I might read a really good book next week and change my mind.

Fan of.....science fiction in general, yes. I'll give most sci-fi series a chance. I want to like every sci-fi series that comes my way, unfortunatly that's never the case, there's always something awful lurking around.

I don't have one; I don't believe in the stereotypical fan, look around a site like Gateworld, and you see it's not the case. The only way to see a sterotypical fan is through ignorence.

See above.

I think science fiction has a sense of adventure in terms of asking the greater(and smaller) questions that other genres stray away from, or are hesitant to confront. The best science fiction isn't just about telling great stories, it's about being human(and endless subject), whether through metaphor or through a character journey, and I think science fiction (and fantasy) can take that theme to a higher level then any other genre is able to do. The best examples in recent television being Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel.

I don't know about more- there is a lot of intellectual and academic snobbery towards Science Fiction. The vast majority of people, even after fourty years (I'm counting from the beginning of Star Trek), still seem to frown upon sci-fi and see it as something beneth them (Star Wars being an exception). But certainly, sci-fi fans are generally a very smart bunch of people. It's disappointing that the genre remains snubbed in the eyes of the emmys, etc. though. Particularly with the recent acclaim for BSG, not in terms of actually getting an award, but in terms of the missed oppertunity for broader group of people to see this show get recognized and think "hey, maybe it's good, I'll check it out". But I think Science Fiction is cooler now then it was a few years ago- with shows like BSG and Firefly (off the air as it may be) being so popular at the moment, and actually striking a chord with people who tend to drift further towards the mainstream.

Comment

YES! Science-fiction is in my opinion the best genre for both literature and film. A lot of mainstream readers scoff at this because they can't see how it relates to real life. If anything, SF relates much more closely to reality than a lot of mainstream fiction. SF is entirely concerned with the greater questions about humanity. A lot of people have difficulty seeing this because they are not used to thinking in terms other than those which they have been brought up with.

Absolutely. I am not ashamed of admitting this to anyone. Even my university professors (granted, at least two of them are too ).

Dreamers mainly. People with open minds and active imaginations. Usually calmer and more introspective and very accepting of others and difference. Mostly "outcasts" of society in certain ways, I think. I believe that someone who is entirely accepted by others in their social environment don't really feel pushed to reach for greater ideals because they are perfectly content. Great things were never done by people who were content with life. I'm not saying they are unhappy people who live in their mother's basement (although there are some like that) nor ugly with big glasses and that stuff. Appearance and personality varies tremendously but I think that at the most basic level all SF fans share these traits in some measure.

Yeah.

5. Is there anyhting about science Fiction that no other genre has?

SF allows itself to examine the distant future with few constraints. Other genres (outside of Fantasy which is closely linked to SF anyway) are concerned with the here and now, the past as it relates to the here and now and maybe the close future. SF is the literature of philosophers really. It concerns itself with what makes us human and what being a human entails. What is wrong and right in a grander scale than doing the right thing in the course of one small life. It challenges present day perceptions and pushes every moral debate farther without shying away from the "unrealistic" or the "impossible".

I think so yes, at least a certain kind of Academic people. Philosophers and scientists probably more than artists (mind you, I am an English major...).
            May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

1.Do you like Science fiction and why? Yes. Science fiction is a form of narrative device that allows the writer and the reader/audience to creatively explore contemporary issues in a different, unfamiliar setting. It often works as a kind of allegory or parable. In some cases outer space is the metaphor, in other instances, the future is.

2. Would you consider your self a fan? Erm... yes...

3. What is your perception of a stereo typical fan? Intelligent, thoughtful although at times highly obsessive.

4.As a fan (if applicable) would you fall under this catorgory? Not for me to say. But I do like something that challenges the grey matter.

5. Is there anyhting about science Fiction that no other genre has? (if any one says space .. so help me! ) Space is only one aspect... but science fiction IMO, is more deliberately philosophical than other genres.

6. Are more intellectual or academic people attracted to science fiction? Hard to say... I think there are people who want to be challenged intellectually, certainly but some times scifi is just about creativity, imagination and escape.
              When you consider out and out Trekkies, for instance, for them it really is about escape from the humdrum life that they lead.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

1.Do you like Science fiction and why? Yes i believe it expands the mind and helps us explore not only the unknown but human potential through scientific means.

2. Would you consider your self a fan? yes

3. what is your perception of a stereo typical fan?- Nerd, geeky, living in their parents basements

4.As a fan (if applicable) would you fall under this catorgory? no, I tend to keep My sci-fi fanship (is that a word) quiet. only a few people outside my family know about it.

5. Is there anyhting about science Fiction that no other genre has? Beleiveable hope
                6. Are more interlectual or Acedemic people attracted to science fiction. I tend to thik that science fiction is not exclusive to any type because i myself arely fit into those categories some of my sci friends do not.

Comment

[QUOTE=AnubisWarrior;6156923]Hey, i am doing research into audiences and i have decided to use science fiction fans And what better place to start then here

Yes. From a very early age. The first prime time show I remember watching is Classic Trek. Which also has led me into fanasty. I have read lots of sci-fi books and started with likes of Clarke and Asimov (excuse any spelling errors).

Yes and I've converted my poor children ages 6 and 2.5. I perfer to watch sci-fi/fanasty t.v. shows to anything else. If that was all that was offered on t.v. I would be happy. The only books I actually buy instead of borrowing from the library are sci-fi and fanasty. I like to read them over again.

I don't like to generalise. I have heard of stereo types of being male, living with parents, have no life outside of the home.

Of other's preceptions, no. I'm a wife, a mom to two kids. I'm an artist and scrapbook. I haven't lived with my parents since I went off to College. I have had other people surprised that I'm a fan. Though if you heard me and my BIL discuss Stargate, you'd know instantly that I love sci-fi. My sister gets a glazed look in her eyes when her hubby and I start talking sci-fi/fanasty.

5. Is there anyhting about science Fiction that no other genre has? (if any
                  one says space .. so help me! )
                  I found sci-fi likes to explore what makes us human. I know my son right now likes the space battles but I tend to like the human aspect more.

In my experience I wouldn't know. I've never taken a poll with sci-fi people I've come across in real life or the internet.
                  Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Although I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy ther are no porgrams or movies out there that are good, I liked Matrix, and liked the Spiderman movies and Fantastic four but in general theres nothing good!

But I only really like Stargate, BSG, Smallville and now Heroes!
                    I HATE SY-FY

Comment

No. I hate sci-fi. That's why I hang out at a Stargate board.

Seriously, I do like sci-fi. My father introduced me to Star Trek: TOS when I was 6. After that, it was all downhill. I enjoy the idea of "what could be" - if it were 3 or 4 centuries in humanity's future, if we were part of an inter-species federation, if we'd had to abandon Earth and settle other solar systems, if some hapless human(s) had been flung halfway across the galaxy, if we could travel in time, if we could travel to parallel universes, etc.

Yup.

There are people who enjoy watching sci-fi, own a bunch of DVDs and VHS tapes, Tivo particular shows when they're on, get their friends together to watch shows, subscribe to podcasts related to their favorite shows, and get home from work/school and pop in a recording of <fill in sci-fi show of choice> to watch during dinner.

There are also people who are huge fans of particular shows, buy multiple DVD boxsets, go to cons, make podcasts related to their favorite shows, write fanfic, make their own costumes, etc.

Nothing wrong with either one, but I'm breaking them up for reasons that will shortly become apparent...

I'm one of the people who enjoys watching sci-fi. I have bookcases full of DVDs, I try to convert new fans to my favorite shows, and I subscribe to a podcast or three. However, I have yet to go to a con, write fanfic, or sew my own costumes.

Space. <ducks>

I'd say, "what if", taken to a new level. Shows like, say, Law & Order, Sex and the City, Gunsmoke, etc. ask the question "what if?" but it's always subject to established restrictions: present-day New York City, the Old West, etc. Sci-fi explores the question of "what if?" but it throws out the rules. What if humans lived in some completely different place and/or time? What if you could slide into a thousand different worlds... oh, wait.

Sci-fi allows us to explore the human condition under circumstances that have never existed in the history of humanity.

Just about all the people I've met who are into sci-fi are highly intelligent people who either have at least one college degree in hand or are planning to earn one.

I went to MIT. It goes with the territory.
                      Last edited by CatGoddess; 06 January 2007, 03:56 PM.
                      I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

1. Do you like science fiction and why? yes/no
                        Yes. Science fiction opens up many possibilities in storytelling. You can have drama, horror, comedy, romance or any combination.

2. Would you consider yourself a fan? yes/no
                        Yes.

3. What is your perception of a stereotypical fan?
                        Well, *I* know that there isn't really any such thing as a sterotypical fan. Scifi fans are of all ages and from all over the world. I think many people think of scifi fans as being geeky and computer nerds, but I know that isn't the case.

4. As a fan (if applicable) would you fall under this catorgory?
                        I'm probably a little geeky, but I'm definitely not a computer nerd. (I use my computer for e-mail and reading the forums. That's about it!)

5. Is there anything about science fiction that no other genre has? (if any one says space .. so help me!)
                        I don't think so. A lot of the things I really like about scifi apply to fantasy. Both genres can cross over into so many others (as I mentioned before) - horror, comedy, drama, romance, or a combination. And both genres have fandom and conventions.

6. Are more intellectual or academic people attracted to science fiction?
                        I really don't know. I think we *think* scifi fans are more intellectual because we spend more time analyzing shows than other genres do.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Yes, I love Sci-fi. Sci-fi allows for such a range of creativity and storytelling that makes it a wonderful venue to enjoy and escape in.

Very much so.

I don't really have a perception of a stereo typical fan, just can tell you what I observe. Most sci-fi fans I know are typical average people, alot of them have families and have just learn to grow up appreciating a different form of creativity.

Yes. Most people don't know I am a sci-fi fan and are surprised when I tell them. Shows you the sterotypical attitudes that they have. They really shouldn't be surprised.

Very loyal fans!!!

I don't know if this is the right question to ask. People who seem to really like science fiction seemed to be people who have wonderful imaginations and enjoy different creative ideas and those items are not exclusive to either group.
                          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Working...
                          X