Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here actually played Master of Orion II?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone here actually played Master of Orion II?

Master of Orion II is a timeless Sci Fi turn-based strategy game.
    Is anyone elses here still playing it? Because I just started playing it
    recently.

There is one problem, though. I successfully installed the game on my
    Windows XP, but the game sometimes lags in the game and in the "New game" menu. I really don't know why. Any ideas?
    sigpic

MOO2 is the best turn based space game ever!
    the best of the series an far superior to MOO3...which was a huge disappointment.

Never tried to run it under XP...so can't help you there, but it was an awesome game back in the day.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I especially liked the destroying planets option. You could colonize a planet, give it to your enemies, and then come back, blow it up and build a better one.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I've never played this game before. I probably did read a review in a games magazine back then. I never did get into turn based strategy games. Warcraft II, C & C and Duke Nukem 3D took most of my time up in 1996.

Originally posted by Falcon_06 View Post
        There is one problem, though. I successfully installed the game on my Windows XP, but the game sometimes lags in the game and in the "New game" menu. I really don't know why. Any ideas?
        Old games can be a pain in the Mik'ta to get running on XP. I even had problems trying to get a game running that was built for Windows 2000. I suppose you could try running it in Compatibility Mode on XP. In reality, the best solution to run old games is to find a 10 year old PC (a Pentium 100 minimum) and run the game in native DOS 6.22 or MSDOS Mode in Windows 95/8.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
          I've never played this game before. I probably did read a review in a games magazine back then. I never did get into turn based strategy games. Warcraft II, C & C and Duke Nukem 3D took most of my time up in 1996.

Old games can be a pain in the Mik'ta to get running on XP. I even had problems trying to get a game running that was built for Windows 2000. I suppose you could try running it in Compatibility Mode on XP. In reality, the best solution to run old games is to find a 10 year old PC (a Pentium 100 minimum) and run the game in native DOS 6.22 or MSDOS Mode in Windows 95/8.
          Thanks, I'm running it on '98 settings and its working quite well.
          sigpic

Comment

I have a dual partition set up with both DOS and XP. I play Moo2 and M.A.X, Doom, Duke nukem and others in native Dos 6.22.

Moo2 is an excellent and time consuming game. Moo3 should have just updated the interface and slightly upgraded the graphics. The current cutting edge of this type of game is Galactic Cvilizations, but I still prefer Moo2.

Comment

Really? I've set up a few dual boot PCs in my time, but never DOS and XP! I've got my old AMD K6-2/450 box sitting beside me.

I might just install DOS 6.22 on it and dig out Duke Nukem for a quick blast (Hail to the king, baby! ) I should have a look around for a copy of Master of Orion 2 and give it a try.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

You know, I played MOO2 a few times, but just never really did get into it. It's been awhile, but I remember feeling like it got a bit too complex and detailed, and it felt too much like I was having to micromanage everything. I soon ditched it for the original MOO, which was my absolute favorite (was actually thinking of playing it earlier this evening!). I never played MOO3, but my brother said I wouldn't have liked that one anyways, and he's got a pretty good handle on the sorts of games I like.

Oh, and for those running into the DOS issue - DOSBox is your friend!
                "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Cool ideas.

Aww...I just found out that it still has problems...

It keeps crashing and lagging, even in compatibility mode.
                  sigpic

Comment

There is a win version of moo2: orion95.exe and a dos version: orion2.exe

The dos version is preferred by the online community (there are still 2-3 dozens players who play it on a regular basis: meeting point is the irc-channel: irc.quakenet.org#moo2). The most preferred solution to play online games is now: DOSbox.

See this DOSbox guide for details:
                    http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2...box-guide.html

see also the detailed install instruction for the 1.4 patch. They are linked under step 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                      Really? I've set up a few dual boot PCs in my time, but never DOS and XP! I've got my old AMD K6-2/450 box sitting beside me.

I would say my set up is pretty unique. In one machine I have a 4th generation video card (Radeon X850) and an Audigy sound card, plus an SB-16 sound card and a really old Roland wave table card running in concert with the SB-16. The motherboard has 2 ISA slots for the old sound cards, but still works with a Pentium 2.6 ghz processor. When this mobo dies (Soyo), I will be stuck with dividing interests among two machines

The C partition is 2 GB and holds DOS, but System Commander allows me to boot to DOS or XP Pro which lives on drive D. I have a second drive with tons of games and apps.

So I can run DOOM, DOOM2, Hexen and other old shooters under native DOS with wave table sound for music (and it is GREAT). MAX, MOO2 and others run perfectly.

Games sort of rule my life, I'm afraid....

Comment

Originally posted by siron View Post
                        There is a win version of moo2: orion95.exe and a dos version: orion2.exe

The dos version is preferred by the online community (there are still 2-3 dozens players who play it on a regular basis: meeting point is the irc-channel: irc.quakenet.org#moo2). The most preferred solution to play online games is now: DOSbox.

See this DOSbox guide for details:
                        http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2...box-guide.html

see also the detailed install instruction for the 1.4 patch. They are linked under step 3.
                        I have the orion95.exe version. Where can I get the the DOS orion2.exe version?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06 View Post
                          I have the orion95.exe version. Where can I get the the DOS orion2.exe version?
                          Most Moo2 cds contain both versions. orion2.exe is installed by using install.exe (not the autoinstall or setup.exe).

When you really dont have it....just use the 1.31 patch in the above mentioned link. It contains the orion2.exe....you can use your current win installation...

Comment

Working...
                          X