PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Leap Discussion/Appreciation

morjana
June 13th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Beginning June 28, reruns of "Quantum Leap" will return to the SciFi Channel on a daily basis -- at 2am.

Here's the link for their website:

http://www.scifi.com/quantum/

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

shinyredpants
June 13th, 2004, 07:03 AM
sweet!

Elwe Singollo
June 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks Morjana, i've never gotten to see the show,so heres my chance :)

Panixs
November 18th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I have just read an interview that basicly conferms that a new Quantum leap series is being made. its at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5679-2004Oct4.html

and the bit about QL is;
Harrisburg, Pa.: "Quantum Leap" was one of the greatest shows of all times. I recall when it was cancelled, someone stating that there is always a possibility that the show could return someday. I know it has been several years, but is there still some chance of reviving the show and giving it a second chance?

Donald P. Bellisario: I am working with Universal's scifi channel to create a new Quantum Leap which would have Stockwell as a regular and Scott Bakula appearing at least in the first episode which would introduce a young female leaper.

hopefuly this will explain some stuff in the last QL episode about why Sam never made it home

FieryHands
November 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
I heard this rumor a long while ago, but then it was a telemovie. It'd seem sensible to me if they are going to do a female leaper, it should be Sammy Jo.

puddlejumper747
November 18th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Hmmm... I guess it could be interesting if they actually put some effort into it... :rolleyes: Hmmm...

DownFallAngel
November 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Yea, the rumor is that Sammy Jo (Sam's daughter or cousin) is going to be contacted by Al, like 4 days after the original show ended. And she will be on a mission to find him and stuff. It seems hot.

But I don't like the name. Sam & Sammy!? Why not Samantha/Sam/Sammy? Seems kinda odd to me. But w\e.

SaberBlade
November 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM
perhaps sammy is supposed to be Samantha but they choose Sammy to have it similar to Sam.

i think having a new QL series or even a movie to help get Sam home. i was never happy that the series ended saying the Sam never made it home. i wouldn't be to happy with Dean Stockwell being a regular. if he is supposed to keep in contact with Sammy then how is he also supposed to keep in contact with Sam? it would be something like that which would annoy me.

if a movie or new series is done, i would definitely want more about the evil leapers

Jonas
November 18th, 2004, 07:52 PM
This was on Dark Horizons a few weeks ago.

A couple of rumours have begun floating around in regards to the storyline of the proposed "Quantum Leap" reinvention currently in development and two sources have propped in with what they've heard:

"Starting sometime in January, Don Bellasario is making the new "Quantum Leap" movie currently using the working sub-title "A Bold Leap Forward". It's tipped to start out as a two-hour TV movie with a series to follow pending the movie's results.

The two hour feature is rumoured to have Dean Stockwell (Al) looking for Sam whose leaps they can no longer track. Al finds him but loses him again, so he gets Sam's daughter to go looking for him. Scott Bakula is tipped to randomly appear throughout the series starting with the movie".

Soon after that, another source said it has been confirmed by Trey Callway that Sam's daughter Sammy Jo will be used in the movie. She will be in her late 30's leaping to find Sam with Al as her guide after finding out that Sam is her father. Sam will be 50 and his daughter will be in her late 30's, and yes it will still have time travel in it as before.

Personally I like this idea. I loved Quantum Leap. It was a great show and this would be a nice way to continue it cause I hate the way they ended the show with Sam not getting home.

kiwigater
November 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Quantum Leap was until recently my all-time favourite series, only recently surpassed by Stargate (and then only cos QL ended a decade ago, and had the WORST ending of a series in history :( - I'm still traumatised).
In fact (PTB TAKE NOTE) I'm still so traumatised it has influenced my willingness to buy the newly released DVD's :(

I would LOVE to see a mini-series to address the abysmal ending to the show, with Sam and Al, but with Scott Bakula committed to Enterprise, I guess they figure that won't happen and so are going with the series. :S Can't say I'm wildly enthused with this whole good-evil leaper thing. I'd give it a go cos I loved the old series so much, but give me SAM AND AL! :o

DownFallAngel
November 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM
You know, for a rushed ending, I liked it. Because it was unheard of. It was a happily ever after tale. It was ironic, and awesome, but not as awesome as it should have been.

kiwigater
November 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
happily ever after??
um, were we watching the same show?? I liked that they got Al back together with his wife, but Sam leaping off into nothingness!!! man, I cried like a little baby! Yes, it was ironic, and shocking and I live in perpetual fear that other shows will follow their example :S It just feels like a piss poor way to reward the viewers who followed the show thru numerous time slots etc for years.

ShadowMaat
November 18th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Space: Above & Beyond ended with half the main characters dead and the others shattered by what had happened. Even THAT was better than the nightmare that was the end of Quantum Leap. IMO, of course. :P But seriously... Sam never gets home?! That's the most horrible ending they could have done. It was a great finale up until those stupid little words on the screen. I don't think any other finale left me feeling as horribly gypped and outraged as Quantum Leap. I actually yelled at my TV. And then, like KG, I burst into tears. No way I would ever consider THAT to be a "happily ever after" ending. Yay for Al's wife, but what about Al's best friend?? Doomed to spend the rest of his life Leaping?? No way, dude.

I'm very skeptical about this new series. I guess we'll see what happens.

Erik Pasternak
November 18th, 2004, 08:34 PM
TrekToday has a very in-depth article on this. Read it here (http://www.trektoday.com/news/061104_01.shtml).

David85
November 19th, 2004, 04:24 AM
This is really old news. Scott Bakula went to UPN and asked if they wanted to bring the show back, the next day they called him and asked if he wanted to do a Star Trek instead. Really should have done QL. :)

DownFallAngel
November 19th, 2004, 07:33 AM
happily ever after??
um, were we watching the same show?? I liked that they got Al back together with his wife, but Sam leaping off into nothingness!!! man, I cried like a little baby! Yes, it was ironic, and shocking and I live in perpetual fear that other shows will follow their example :S It just feels like a piss poor way to reward the viewers who followed the show thru numerous time slots etc for years.

Well I've only seen it on SciFi, because I'm only sixteen. I never saw the original airings. But it was an ironic ending, and I guess how it could be sad. I didn't like the fact that Sam, after all of his good deeds, was doomed to a life of leaping, its not fair, but it leaves it open enough to do a spin off.

Matt G
November 19th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I caught a few early eps during reruns a few years back. Decent but I didn't stick with it.

Given that a decade + has happened since the end of the original series - I might consider giving a new series a go!

DownFallAngel
November 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I caught a few early eps during reruns a few years back. Decent but I didn't stick with it.

Given that a decade + has happened since the end of the original series - I might consider giving a new series a go!

Thats like me ans BSG(N). I was like....eh to the original, would catch an ep here and there, but never got into it. But the new one rolled around and I was hooked! I hope they put QL2 next to ST:E. That would be a nice line up, if UPN is making the QL2.

Krystal
November 21st, 2004, 10:52 AM
I'm really looking forward to see this, it would be interesting. ;)

Shipperahoy
November 21st, 2004, 11:00 AM
After the way the original Quantam Leap ended I don't think I would be willing to take a chance on another one. I usually don't get bent out of shape over t.v. shows but this and the Forever Knight finale actually got me to throwing stuff at the t.v.

DownFallAngel
November 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
After the way the original Quantam Leap ended I don't think I would be willing to take a chance on another one. I usually don't get bent out of shape over t.v. shows but this and the Forever Knight finale actually got me to throwing stuff at the t.v.

Kinda sounds like the Angel finale. That finale stunk!

Janus
November 21st, 2004, 12:12 PM

Sounds expensive.
TV's are not cheap.

roswellgray
November 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I love the thought of a new Quantum Leap. But I'm horrified by the prospect of anyone other than Scott Bacula reprizing the lead. Especially a woman. NO more earth:final conflict catastrophes! Why can't they wait another year? From what I hear Enterprise won't be renewed (stopped watching after they destroyed the planet killer).

Then Sam Beckett can return! None would make a better leaper than Beckett!!!!! JUST WAIT AWHILE TPTB!!!!!

shockwave
November 28th, 2004, 10:13 AM
You should watch Enterprise again. It's no longer run by idiots (AKA Berman and Braga) and it has improved a lot.

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM
What exactly happened in the series finale of QL? I missed it:(

X-Man
November 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM
You don't want to know. Seriously. Biggest cop-out in SF history since the last episode of Space: Above and Beyond.

Dang, I miss that show...

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Please, i really do want to know. I loved that show.

X-Man
November 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM
At the risk of sounding offensive (which is not difficult for me to do), you may find the answers on page 1 of this topic, my friend!

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I get that he didnt get home.. which is a bugger... but, Id like some details about it. Why didnt he get home? etc...

X-Man
November 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
***SPOILERS!***
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

He was given a choice by a mysterious bartender, who owned a bar which played host to cast from previous episodes.

The choice was to help Al or go home.

He never went home.

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Thats rather confusing. ANy more info?

X-Man
November 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Absolutely none. Whatsoever. True. It makes about as much sense as most of my arguments about a given subject. One subtle point, though: The leap took place on his birthday. His actual birthday i.e. day he was born.

roswellgray
November 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Thats rather confusing. ANy more info?

yes. interestingly the same actor played another minor character for the series premier. perhaps the barman was watching beckett from the start?

also the actor played 'Jack' macgyver's ne'er do well pilot friend on macgyver

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM
See I dont have Sky or any special chanells, being in the UK I pretty much have only 5 channells. I remember Quantum Leap from when i was a kid. And I loved it, never ever saw them in order though, so the grand picture of everythign never apeared.

So what happened?

Sam made a leap that was on his birthday and a barman who we know nothing about just offers him a deal? But since when were there mysterious higher powers in QL? It sounds like soemthing from Star Trek Ds9.

X-Man
November 28th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I say again: this is exactly what happened. Smells like some suits wanted to turf it and didn't want to deal with fans...

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Damn, sounds pretty screwed up.

X-Man
November 28th, 2004, 02:50 PM
*Me at TV following end credits of said episode*

"What. The HELL?! GRR ARRGH!"

*Destroys TV*

Flyboy
November 28th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I can see how it would cause that response X-Man. So it wasnt even built up either? It just happened? wow...

In that case, I do hope they bring it back and make up for a shocking betrayal. Lets hope SG-1 doesnt end like that.

David85
November 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
SG-1 will never end so no worries. :D

From what I heard is that the network (Was it NBC?) was going to can the show and they needed some closure so they just threw this thing together and went at the end of it, "He never went home".

Jonas
November 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM
See I dont have Sky or any special chanells, being in the UK I pretty much have only 5 channells. I remember Quantum Leap from when i was a kid. And I loved it, never ever saw them in order though, so the grand picture of everythign never apeared.

So what happened?

Sam made a leap that was on his birthday and a barman who we know nothing about just offers him a deal? But since when were there mysterious higher powers in QL? It sounds like soemthing from Star Trek Ds9.

It was always present that there was a higher power guiding Sam in Quantum Leap. Al and Sam talked about it often over the course of the show. Heck in one episode, Sam dealt with the devil, who he thought was Al. Then there is the Evil Leaper saga, which I always believe had something to do with the Devil as her mission was to ruin people's lives, and Allyia was punished horribly when she failed after her first run-in with Sam. I dont think it was a coincidence that the same actor was in the first episode either. I believe the bartender "Al" was indeed God and that he was there from the start.

Flyboy
November 29th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Wow! Fascinating stuff! A lot more in depth than ipreviously had thought! Aw man, I wish I could watch it again, now that Im older Id prolly appreciate it more.

SaberBlade
November 29th, 2004, 09:19 AM
wasn't it revealed that it was Sam leaping himself around and not some almighty power?

i am pretty sure it was revealed that Sam could have went home anytime, it was just up to him to go there.

Darren
November 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM
At the risk of being pummelled with fruit, I loved the Quantum Leap finale. It was gut-wrenching, but a very touching and appropriate way to end the series.

kiwigater
November 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
At the risk of being pummelled with fruit, I loved the Quantum Leap finale. It was gut-wrenching, but a very touching and appropriate way to end the series.
*pummels Darren with fruit* :p
really? While I agree reuniting Al and Beth was heart wrenching and highly appropriate, when they put up the bit about Sam never making it home I felt like they'd punched me in the stomach and then given me a good swift kick in the kidney while they were at it :S The way they ended the series has tainted how I view any series I've become addicted to since. For me, Stargate has only recently surpassed QL as my all time fav show, and a lot of that has to do with how betrayed I felt coming out of the QL finale. I can see how intellectually you could make the argument that Sam leaping off into oblivion was an appropriate choice, but I guess emotionally it trashed me (see, look, 10 years later and I'm still fuming!).

I guess it depends on how TPTB want to use the finale of any series. Do they want to end it appropriately, intellectually or emotionally, are they tying into a planned movie or mini-series, are they rewarding their viewers for loyally following the show for x years, or is the whole thing a giant "screw you" to everyone involved (ie. the network) with the viewers caught in the crossfire?
Me? bitter? naaaahhh :p
I can respect your opinion, even if in this case I wildly disagree with it :D food fight! ;)

Flyboy
November 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM
When people say "leaping off into oblivion" what do you mean? As in, doomed to leap forever, or what?

kiwigater
November 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM
When people say "leaping off into oblivion" what do you mean? As in, doomed to leap forever, or what?
basically. At least that's how I interpreted it. That God, or whatever, had other things for him to put right, and that he would keep leaping to do that, but that the leaps would get harder. And seeing as they very clearly say Sam never makes it home, well, I assume that leaves him leaping forever.

roswellgray
November 30th, 2004, 10:05 AM
earlier poster, yes I think it was revealed by the bartender guy that Sam could control his leaping. But how and why was left for Sam to determine. As for the leaps becoming more difficult - I believe the barman meant that Sam would need to start making life or death decisions - in the same way the crippled russian did for the trapped coalminers.

In a way, I think the writers were hinting that Sam was on his way to a kind of ascension. The barman being a bit like Oma Desala and Sam Beckett like Daniel Jackson.

roswellgray
December 15th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Just watched the episode where Sam leaps into a situation where a woman thinks her dead husband is haunting her when actually her brother is trying to make her crazy so he can take her fortune. The housekeeper was a 'ghost' who died during the 1840's - her body floats up from the bottom of the lake after an earthquake. This 'ghost' doesn't seem to be a leaper like the old man in the series finale who supposedly died in a mine collapse during the 1930's. So it seems not all leapers are ghosts.

Amun
March 4th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I would love to see QL: A Bold Leap Forward come into being but it's been a while now and I have recently heard check Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com) that it was a hoax and that nothing is actually happening.

I hope this is wrong, and since Enterprise is being axed we could see Scott Bakula making a more recurring role in the series.

shockwave
March 4th, 2005, 02:57 AM
in a startek.com chat a few weeks ago bakula said he isn't making a new quantum leap series, and hasn't or isn't making any quantum leap movie

Amun
April 18th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Does anyone know when Season 2 and 3 are coming out on DVD in the UK?

kiwigater
June 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
hey, this is the very first thread I've created in nearly a year on the forum! :p :eek:
Pity it has to be cos I'm absolutely HORRIFIED at the changes Universal has made to the Quantum Leap series DVD's.
I just got given the first season as a (belated) BD present, and was really happy :D I really enjoyed watching them, and was sitting here thinking about buying the rest, when I find out that they REPLACED THE MUSIC IN MIA! :mad:

Now, for the most part I doubt I'll notice where they've replaced specific songs with more generic music (see here (http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/mediapages/dvdseasontwo.htm) for a list in season 2) but I can't BELIEVE they replaced "Gerogia in my Mind" at the end of MIA :(

For you own personal edification, here is a link (http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/mediapages/dvdseasontwo.htm) to a site that lets you download a 5 min clip comparing the original version and "new" version. Scroll down the page a bit to find it. I still find that scene immensely powerful, even watching the teensy squnity vision version STILL had me tearing up, what is WITH the replacement music? It's almost bouncy!

I know these DVD's came out a while ago, and probably no one else gives a fig, but I think it's a travesty, and I just HAD to vent about it :o :)

sgeureka
June 20th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I read an interesting article about music replacement on DVDs at www.wired.com (http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66696,00.html).

Excerpt:
For many TV shows, costs to license the original music for DVD are prohibitively high, so rights owners replace the music with cheaper tunes, much to the irritation of avid fans. And some shows, like WKRP, which is full of music, will probably never make it to DVD because of high licensing costs.

I am glad that I have never experienced something like that with any of my DVDs but I can understand the procedure of the studios (and I prefer a replaced song than a TV show never to be released on DVD).

LoneStar1836
June 21st, 2005, 12:41 AM
Okay that is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of (ok not literally but....) so I’m pissed as well, and I don’t even own the DVDs, but I loved the show. The show is about travel through time so the music helps to set the time-period. Duh. WTH would you change that for. As far as doing away with “Georgia On My Mind” in an episode where the song is specifically mentioned and important to the scene, totally ruins that whole scene which I can clearly visualize and hear the music because that’s an episode that’s stuck with me even though it’s been a while since I’ve seen it.

I can understand the cost to license the original music so I guess if it’s a choice between the music or the show on DVD, then losing the music is a small price to pay, but imo it detracts from the show especially by not having it since QL was time-period sensitive. You’d think they could have at least paid for that one song. :rolleyes:

kiwigater
June 21st, 2005, 04:11 AM
I read an interesting article about music replacement on DVDs at www.wired.com (http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66696,00.html).

Excerpt:
For many TV shows, costs to license the original music for DVD are prohibitively high, so rights owners replace the music with cheaper tunes, much to the irritation of avid fans. And some shows, like WKRP, which is full of music, will probably never make it to DVD because of high licensing costs.

I am glad that I have never experienced something like that with any of my DVDs but I can understand the procedure of the studios (and I prefer a replaced song than a TV show never to be released on DVD).

Yes, you're very lucky! And apparantly so am I, this is the first time I've encountered this problem. :S
I completely agree - for a hefty majority of the songs used in the show I'm not sure I'd notice. And yes, I (think :S ) I'd rather have this than no show at all...... BUT that one particular song is completely entwined in my submersion in this specific episode (and I don't think I'm the only one). Gerogia on my Mind will forever bring to my mind Beth's loss, Al's pain, Sam's tormented conflict..... that scene is brilliant, and not including that song rips the guts out of it (for me at least). (God, I'm getting all teary just hearing the music in my head!)

I'm a realist (mostly :p ), I understand that for financial reasons they couldn't get all of the songs (altho did you LOOK at that list!?! Did they even try?!), but why desecrate the "best" episode of the series? :S Would you make the argument that making an exception for one episdoe sets a precedent? I honestly can't see how that is true - this episode is special.

I'm trying to think of a good SG parallel..... How would you feel if the Stargate PTB decided that because it was too expensive to pay RDA's DVD licencing fees that they would have to remove the loop scenes from Window of Opportunity? Are those scenes strictly necessary to the furtherance of the plot??..... IMO, no. But they help turn an "average" episode into a fan (and one of my personal) favourites :) Or how about cutting out some of the scenes between Jack and Daniel in Meridian? (an episode with almost as much emotional punch as MIA, IMHO).

uh oh, I'm ranting again aren't I... :o :S I'm not ranting AT you sgeureka :) I appreciate your comments, and I understand your point, apparantly I'm just being irrationally stubborn and emotional about this :o

Anyway I’m sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think? ;) :p :D

kiwigater
June 21st, 2005, 04:33 AM
ack! and now that I've got the friggin song totally stuck in my head, I can't buy it on iTunes! You woulda thought RAY CHARLES would be well known enough to have it available! It's even on the "Ray" movie soundtrack! *wanders away mumbling* it's a friggin conspiracy..... :S :S

VirtualCLD
June 21st, 2005, 08:33 AM
Ah, ok, so this is what you were complaining about. Ignore my post in the sulky thread. I agree, I wish they had kept that song in. Now I don't know if I want the QL DVD collection.
As far as finding the song, it's not a Ray Charles original composition, so that may throw off your search a bit.

ShimmeringStar
June 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM
Yes, you're very lucky! And apparantly so am I, this is the first time I've encountered this problem. :S
I completely agree - for a hefty majority of the songs used in the show I'm not sure I'd notice. And yes, I (think :S ) I'd rather have this than no show at all...... BUT that one particular song is completely entwined in my submersion in this specific episode (and I don't think I'm the only one). Gerogia on my Mind will forever bring to my mind Beth's loss, Al's pain, Sam's tormented conflict..... that scene is brilliant, and not including that song rips the guts out of it (for me at least). (God, I'm getting all teary just hearing the music in my head!)

I'm a realist (mostly :p ), I understand that for financial reasons they couldn't get all of the songs (altho did you LOOK at that list!?! Did they even try?!), but why desecrate the "best" episode of the series? :S Would you make the argument that making an exception for one episdoe sets a precedent? I honestly can't see how that is true - this episode is special.

I'm trying to think of a good SG parallel..... How would you feel if the Stargate PTB decided that because it was too expensive to pay RDA's DVD licencing fees that they would have to remove the loop scenes from Window of Opportunity? Are those scenes strictly necessary to the furtherance of the plot??..... IMO, no. But they help turn an "average" episode into a fan (and one of my personal) favourites :) Or how about cutting out some of the scenes between Jack and Daniel in Meridian? (an episode with almost as much emotional punch as MIA, IMHO).

uh oh, I'm ranting again aren't I... :o :S I'm not ranting AT you sgeureka :) I appreciate your comments, and I understand your point, apparantly I'm just being irrationally stubborn and emotional about this :o

Anyway I’m sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think? ;) :p :D
It is terrible. It’s like taking away a masterpiece, a painting or sculpture, and hacking off pieces of it, and then throwing the remaining pieces on a table and saying Here it is… Picasso’s “ABC” or Rodin’s “The Thinker.” All because Syndicate A owns this part, Investment Group B owns that part, Wealthy Investor C owns the copyright, Friend D bought the artist all of his/her materials and has some claim, etc. etc. And we the fans of this artistic work are supposed to accept and *like* the editing that destroyed the artist's original vision.

As a teen when I realized how badly they chopped up movies for showing and syndication on TV I became disillusioned with the media really fast. If you don’t catch things first run in a theater (or on cable or pay per view) you’ll never see the writer or director’s original intent – the whole enchilada the way it was meant to be served…. And as for Stargate - it’s no different than what TPTB have done to the 90-minute Threads. It only got shown twice that one night here in the States and from here on out now they’ll only show the 60 minute edited version. What gets cut from these shows and movies does affect the story, affects the oooommph, the effect, affects how we react and what we take away from it, even if only in the minutest ways.

I loved Quantum Leap too. (Don’t even get me started about the ending to it though!) Guess it’ll be better for me to keep it a happy memory than to buy a DVD and find out that what is on DVD is not the same as what was shown. Not even better than the original. But *less* than.

No you’re not being irrational or stubborn or emotional about it Kiwi. (((KG)))

impulsivelad
June 21st, 2005, 08:52 AM
That was the same problem with the Freak & Geeks DVD, luckily they managed to get all the music intact.

vikingjedi
July 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I get that he didnt get home.. which is a bugger... but, Id like some details about it. Why didnt he get home? etc...

Sam met God at the end (in the form of a bartender). They were in an old bar and Sam asked God what was going to happen to him. God told Sam that his mission wasn't complete and he still had work to do. Starting with fixing Al's past so he would be with his wife who thought he died in the war. God told him the leaps would get harder but Sam accepted it as his destiny.

One of the best endings ever.

kiwigater
July 5th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Sam met God at the end (in the form of a bartender). They were in an old bar and Sam asked God what was going to happen to him. God told Sam that his mission wasn't complete and he still had work to do. Starting with fixing Al's past so he would be with his wife who thought he died in the war. God told him the leaps would get harder but Sam accepted it as his destiny.

One of the best endings ever.
:eek: !!! If you're a sadist! :p *begrudging* I guess you could make the argument it was unconventional, and immensely dramatic or something. :S But speaking from my heart, I have never felt so personally betrayed by a show, I followed the series from beginning to end, everywhere it went, invested myself in the premise of "Sam-getting-home" and they end it with him leaping off into God-know's-where (excuse the pun :p ) and he never gets home!?!?!? Nuh uh! I loved him fixing things for Al and Beth *fuming about replacement of Georgia on my Mind on DVD release :mad: * but I needed him to get home too, or at least some indication he would or might. Personal opinion I'm sure, but I hated the ending.

jazz!
November 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Any QL fans here?

Great show - loved for many of the same reasons I like SG1/A;
strong charecter development; sciency; great relationships; amazing stories..........

It was axed way too early..........he never got home right?

Any news on the "Bold Leap Forward"?

walterIsTheMan
November 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I loved Quantum Leap. My favorite episode was the one where he does get home and Al takes his place (I forget epi name). Other than that, no he never gets home:(. Great great show:).

neko138
November 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
we bought the dvd 1st season but i was kinda disappointed. i mean it was good but it had aged a lot so it wasnt as good as i remembered. still, little piece of history. :D

sueKay
November 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I've only ever seen it a handful of times, but it was pretty funny :D

oh, and I've met Dean Stockwell :D :D

jazz!
November 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I loved Quantum Leap. My favorite episode was the one where he does get home and Al takes his place (I forget epi name). Other than that, no he never gets home:(. Great great show:).

It was after the ep where Sam gets electric shock and exhibits the multiple personalites of the past people he leaped into........

he and Al swap places at the end......Shock Theatre->The Leap Back!!!
a genius pair of stories

I've only ever seen it a handful of times, but it was pretty funny :D
oh, and I've met Dean Stockwell :D :D

Try and watch the rest of them - they are pretty cool!
How was it meeting DS? If you met him quite recently, did he saying anything about a NEW QL?:cool:

sueKay
November 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Not a peep, but then I didn't ask him about it :o...

Met him last month along with two of the cast of Red Dwarf and David Carradine!

CatGoddess
November 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I loved that show! :) It was heartwarming to watch Sam improving the lives of total strangers by "trying to set right what once went wrong". I was very sad that he never got home :( as he had certainly earned it.

SaberBlade
November 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM
i loved quantum leap as a kids and have watched reruns of the show however i have never, ever liked the ending.

i thought the whole part about Sam could go home if he wanted yet still couldn't wasn't want i had hoped. i think the part with him never getting home should have been left out because it would have added this great mystery to the show, does he get home after we see his final leap but they had to kill any chance of us thinking he gets home

the fifth man
November 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM
That show was definitely one of my favorites as a kid. Very entertaining. To this day, I'm still a little bummed out that Sam never made it back home. Stuck leaping for the rest of his life.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 1st, 2005, 06:11 PM
I'm one. My favorite episode: the final episode of the series.

BigGator5
December 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM
I'm one. My favorite episode: the final episode of the series.

I hated that episode because I didn't understand it all too much.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 1st, 2005, 06:56 PM
I hated that episode because I didn't understand it all too much.
Was that one of the first episodes you watched (I just wondering). if it is then that's the problem, you didn't catch the backstory of the show (except the short one at the beginning of the episode)

BigGator5
December 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Was that one of the first episodes you watched (I'm just wondering). If it is then that's the problem, you didn't catch the backstory of the show (except the short one at the beginning of the episode).

What kind of fan do you take me for? No! I just didn't understand it...

I mean, first he leaps into a bar where one of the characters was named "Ziggy" (named of course for the computer that helped out Al and Sam) and then that character "leaps" out of nowhere. Then, no one remembers "Ziggy". I mean, did he leap to anywhere or time?

Then he leaps to a crying woman (what the hell? past episode? someone fill me in!) and then he leaps into nothingness with a line that he never return home. WTF??

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 1st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Sam leaps to other time periods, but only time periods within his own lifetime. His birth date is the date of the final episode of the series.

BigGator5
December 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM
Sam leaps to other time periods, but only time periods within his own lifetime.

*Plops head on the table in defeat.*

I know this... As stated, I am a fan of th show.

His birth date is the date of the final episode of the series.

That still doesn't explain what happen in that episode. It was very confusing...

SaberBlade
December 2nd, 2005, 02:54 AM
What kind of fan do you take me for? No! I just didn't understand it...

I mean, first he leaps into a bar where one of the characters was named "Ziggy" (named of course for the computer that helped out Al and Sam) and then that character "leaps" out of nowhere. Then, no one remembers "Ziggy". I mean, did he leap to anywhere or time?

Then he leaps to a crying woman (what the hell? past episode? someone fill me in!) and then he leaps into nothingness with a line that he never return home. WTF??

the crying woman was Al's first wife, the women he has always truely loved. in one episode, when Sam leaped back to her, we were seeing a continuation of a previous episode where Al tried to get Sam to stop her from remarrying because she believed Al had died in Vietnam and was getting ready to move with her life (because it had been a year or 2 since Al was reported dead).

Al thought that is why Sam was originally sent back (or tried to make himself believe that) so when Sam learnt that he was controlling his leaps, he leaped back to tell her to wait for Al. this lead to use learning at the end about them still being married.

As for the bar, that is a weird one. everyone in the bar was someone Sam met during one of his leaps, they just had names of people sam knew (like Ziggy and Al) but there is a believe that the Bartender is perhaps God who was using Sam to help people but since it was Sam who was leaping himself, it is hard to know because it was beleived that a higher power was using Sam (which seemed to be backed up by the evil leapers).

the show was supposed to be contiued from where it left off so we were supposed to be left with a cliffhanger but since the show ended, Sam just kept leaping and leaping helping people. since we don't know the specifics, it is possible that he could have did this for eternity or until his body dies but the part about Sam controlling his leaps suggests he could go home but something is stopping him. it is possible that he had one chance to return home but he sacficed it for Al. we saw that when it comes to Al, Sam would risk being lost in time (which was a great episode)

HyperCaz
February 6th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I found Quantum Leap by accident and by the second episode, I was hooked. Al and Sam are a good - and amusing - team. Since then I have bought 3 seasons on DVD. :) It can be a bit dodgy at times, but overall I like it a lot. I admit I only discovered it last year and the only incentive to watch it was the name "beckett" (i'm hopeless ;) )

and the thing that amused me most...was Sam saying "ya think?" :D :D :D

Mefusta
February 6th, 2006, 11:59 PM
An interesting bit of trivia; In the episode "All Americans", which originally aired on 17 January 1990, Al states he was watching Super Bowl XXX, and the Pittsburgh Steelers were playing and were three points behind in the fourth quarter. The actual game wouldn't air for another six years, but the Steelers did play and were, in fact, three points behind in the fourth quarter. The team hadn't been to the Super Bowl in the ten years prior.

Makes you think...

HyperCaz
February 7th, 2006, 12:18 AM
that's cool! as sam would say "sure I know the future" :D :D

I can't believe Scott Bakula was in Star Trek :D :D

Erin
February 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
I love Quantum Leap! I was in love with Beckett way before MacGyver haha. I have both theme songs on my cell phone, but teh Quantum Leap song plays more often!

HyperCaz
February 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
just watched M.I.A. for the first time. omg, I bawled my eyes out. I literally sobbed. :( Poor Al! I really feel sorry for him. at least there's a reason to why he hasn't settled down. poor guy. :( :( :(

Commander Ivanova
February 12th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Nope, sorry, I just didn't get this show. Too much fi and not enough sci for me.

gatelover12
February 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I LOVED QL! *wants sam to go be with the ancients*

HyperCaz
February 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I almost didn't recognise Dean Stockwell without bizarre clothing

from SG1 6x07 Shadow Play :D :D :D

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5549/deanstockwell3sg.jpg

SilverRider
February 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
:eek: :eek: You didn't!!! OMG that's soo bad :P :P

Plus he was in Belevery Hills Cops 2 (SP?)

HyperCaz
February 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Easy up, I'm only new to QL ;) :D My first experience with Dean Stockwell was most likely Beverly Hills Cop 2 :D :D :D still working my way through season 3. Saw 8 1/2 Months last night - amusing. Is it just me or did they tone down Al's character a little in season 3?

HyperCaz
February 16th, 2006, 02:15 AM
just saw Shock Theatre. Usually with episodes that involve the main character in danger I always feel assured that they'll be alright in the next ep. Shock Theatre is one of the few that has made me forget they'll be alright and sit on the edge of my seat.
I was wondering if they'd ever do a recap episode. It was interesting to see the different personalities manifest - sorta following on from when that psychic in the circus episode said "you have been reincarnated many times".
At last we see another character from the future in ST! And at last Al gets his own act ;) loved the rap he had going. Nice swap at the end. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

yes, sadly, I've only just finished watching season 3.

Celestial
February 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I remember this show and it was great!! I only saw a few episodes and never got to watch the last one, but now knowing that Sam never got home was sad.

Didn't he get home in one of the episodes, but it was Al who was then stuck in Sam's body, can't remember, and in the end he had to leap anyway. Geez, it was so long ago I can't remember anymore

HyperCaz
February 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of special features on the season 2 & 3 DVD sets (please don't tell me 4&5 are the same). What's with that? Surely they could have knocked something together other than the doco on season 1.

The thing that impresses me about Scott Bakula is that he can truly sing. Although I found the piano playing a little over done in season 3 ;)

HyperCaz
March 7th, 2006, 02:10 AM
found a heap of Quantum Leap icons *wooo!* mostly Al.

http://mckay-ocd.livejournal.com/26471.html

BurkleBrowncoat
March 12th, 2006, 05:14 AM
QL was probably one of the first sci-fi shows I really loved. (I liked Greatest American Hero, too, but I was four when it aired, so that doesn't count! :::wink:::)

As much as I adored Sam, I always had a crush on Al. I was thrilled to see Dean Stockwell on SG-1 and BSG.

God, favorite episodes? Hmm. A musical theater lover, I always had a soft spot for "Catch A Falling Star"....or anything else in which Scott sang, for that matter. I loved where he would crossover and influence famous people, like Chubbie Checker, Buddy Holly, and "little Stevie King".

I'll never forget feeling totally destroyed when those words came across the screen, ending the final episode. "Doctor Sam Beckett never returned home".

BurkleBrowncoat

gatelover12
March 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I cried.

mckaychick
March 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM
So did I.

gatelover12
March 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
He should have ascended. Someone should write a fic.

mahram
April 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hey is there any quantum leap fans here. I use to love that show when I was a kid. It had a great premise, but the ending was a complete disappoitment. I hope they finally make the movie.

spg_1983
April 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hey is there any quantum leap fans here. I use to love that show when I was a kid. It had a great premise, but the ending was a complete disappoitment. I hope they finally make the movie.
They've been talking about the movie for years, I doubt its going to actually ever happen.

mahram
April 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I hope they do. Look at the bsg thing, it took almost 2 decades for them to bring it back, and dr.who. Both of them are successes. According to the imdb website, its slated for 06. There are so many interesting stories they could do. I hope they do a 911 storyline. If they do something along the lines with the new leaper trying to stop 911 or save the twin towers, that would be one of the most controversial scifi episodes ever. But it would be a great storyline.

They've been talking about the movie for years, I doubt its going to actually ever happen.

spg_1983
April 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I hope they do. Look at the bsg thing, it took almost 2 decades for them to bring it back, and dr.who. Both of them are successes. According to the imdb website, its slated for 06. There are so many interesting stories they could do. I hope they do a 911 storyline. If they do something along the lines with the new leaper trying to stop 911 or save the twin towers, that would be one of the most controversial scifi episodes ever. But it would be a great storyline.
I first saw it on IMDb almost 2 years ago and it was listed as being released in 2004.

BSG wasn't tossed around rumored about for years before being made. It was proposed, made and turned into a series all in about a 2 year span.

With Doctor Who there was never any real question of it coming back, it was just a question of when and with what cast.

I would really hope they dont do a 9/11 storyline, its bad enough the are doing that Flight 93 movie.

mckaychick
April 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
it would be cool if they do do a movie

creed462
April 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I think a movie would be cool too

the fifth man
April 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think a movie would be cool too

Without a doubt. That show was great.:) However, I'd only want a movie as long as Dean Stockwell and Scott Bakula were in it. I wouldn't want new actors playing them.

flyinace
July 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Great show.
Have to save up and get the DVD's at some point.
I think that this was the show that got me interested in scifi. Or it could have been Babylon 5 but I think it was QL.

HyperCaz
October 25th, 2006, 03:19 AM
And finally saw The Leap Home (4x01) today! :D Another one that made me misty eyed. I was expecting it but it's still very sad to watch. I'm not thrilled to know that Sam never returns home to Donna. *grumbling*

Anyway, I made some icons of the episode :) in case anyone is interested. quite a few donna/sam icons but some other random ones.

Click here :D (http://hypercaz.livejournal.com/90942.html)

the fifth man
October 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
And finally saw The Leap Home (4x01) today! :D Another one that made me misty eyed. I was expecting it but it's still very sad to watch. I'm not thrilled to know that Sam never returns home to Donna. *grumbling*

Anyway, I made some icons of the episode :) in case anyone is interested. quite a few donna/sam icons but some other random ones.

Click here :D (http://hypercaz.livejournal.com/90942.html)

Nice icons.:)

Trust me, a lot of us QL fans were upset with the ending of the show. I would have loved it if Sam could have returned home.

Descent
October 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I love Quantum Leap. :D

My favorite episode was the one where Sam leaped into Lee Harvey Oswald. So dark and so compelling on a lot of levels.

I also loved "The Leap Home" (where Sam tries to save his father and brother) along with "The Leap Back", "Ghost Ship", "The Curse of Ptah-Hotep" and many others.

Great series. I hope "A Bold Leap Forward" still gets produced.

the fifth man
October 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Great series. I hope "A Bold Leap Forward" still gets produced.

I would love to see a future QL project at some point. It was indeed a very smart, enjoyable show.:)

jannagalaxy
October 25th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'm a massive massive fan of Quantum Leap, I've been watching it since I was about 9/10 years old, that's about 15 years!

I've got to admit boxsets 2-4 are pretty naff compared to season 1 boxset.

I didn't have a crush on Al, but I did have a crush on Sam. (still do) I was thrilled when I saw Dean Stockwell on SG-1. One of the biggest thrills of my life was when I met Dean at (Collectormania 7 Milton Keynes UK) last year. He was so lovely. It was like he was 3D I mean he was outside smoking a cigar outside a pub, but then a couple of minutes later after Dean asked me to join him <sqees> Corin turns up!!! I'm in heaven!!! :)

I had to ask Dean about the "Halloween Episode!" of Quantum Leap. I think that's one of the best episodes. It's just so out there! But another one of my faves is "A Leap For Lisa" That is cool. But "Mirror Image" makes me cry....Dr. Sam Beckett did return home! ---well that's what I say.

But thinking about it again I'd say actually it would make sense that he never returned home because he would always want to help people and put right what once went wrong. But I think that he could of gone home once or twice for a holiday, (ie "Leap Back")

"A Bold Leap Forward" has been on the table for almost FOUR years. I hope something is going to come out of this but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Peace!
Janna Galaxy

david2708
October 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Recently revisited QL on DVD after not seeing since the eighties. I lasted about halfway into Season 2 then gave up. I found it very dated and rather chessy alot of the time. The plots were usually pedestrian and seemed to be of the quality I'd see on an ep of The Love Boat or Fanatasy Island.
I'd classify the show as 1% Scifi and 99% cheese.

Descent
October 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Recently revisited QL on DVD after not seeing since the eighties. I lasted about halfway into Season 2 then gave up. I found it very dated and rather chessy alot of the time. The plots were usually pedestrian and seemed to be of the quality I'd see on an ep of The Love Boat or Fanatasy Island.
I'd classify the show as 1% Scifi and 99% cheese.

And there goes the thread.

Callista
October 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Although I haven't seen QL in years, I loved it when it was originally airing. I think I'm going to ask for a couple of seasons for Christmas. I really like Scott Bakula (although I was disappointed with Capt. Archer in the later seasons....I guess I missed Sam's humor and empathy for other people). I was defending Sam in the "Best Hero" tourny the other day because he was just such a great guy. He was never selfish, he truly cared about people, he used his intelligence and compassion rather than violence, he never got any thanks or appreciation because nobody even knew he had been there, and he made the supreme sacrifice for his best friend twice: once when leaping back in so Al could leap out and then again so Al could be happy.

(There, Descent, did that help?)

Descent
October 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
(There, Descent, did that help?)

Very much so. :P

kiwigater
October 28th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I LOVE Quantum Leap - sure, it's a lot cheesier in the revisiting than it was when I watched originally as a teenager (:eek: ) but I still enjoyed it :D I have the first season on DVD (but it's gone walk-abouts right now), but I am permanently scarred that they replaced most of the period music with generic crap - even if I understand why they had to, I SO don't agree with it! MIA is just NOT the same! :(

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Al's a cylon in BSG and a crazy kook in stargate!!! :):):)

Billz
October 29th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Al's a cylon in BSG and a crazy kook in stargate!!! :):):)

Also hes an alien dictator in Enterprise.

I loved the cheesyness of Quantum Leap. I watch it whenever its aired on ITV4 (I have no more room for any of the boxsets). Apparently there were rumours of a movie. Can anyone confirm this?

HyperCaz
October 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM
I LOVE Quantum Leap - sure, it's a lot cheesier in the revisiting than it was when I watched originally as a teenager (:eek: ) but I still enjoyed it :D I have the first season on DVD (but it's gone walk-abouts right now), but I am permanently scarred that they replaced most of the period music with generic crap - even if I understand why they had to, I SO don't agree with it! MIA is just NOT the same! :(

stupid frelling copyright of songs...*grumbling* audio should STAY the same in episodes on DVD.

I think people say "cheesy" because the show had family morals and stuff. I believe that's why my parents loved it and may be the reason I enjoy it. Not to say it's all family stuff. There's some very heady episodes.

Callista
October 30th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I saw the last few minutes of "Cold Case" last night and it got me thinking that that show is sort of like a non-sci-fi Law & Order version of Quantum Leap. Instead of actually going back in time, she digs up old cases and then we see flashbacks (including lots of funny period clothing from the 50s, 60s, and 70s). Instead of setting things right the way Sam did, she (is her name Lily? I think it is) brings to justice the things that went wrong. At least, I assume that's the premise....I've never actually seen more than a few minutes of the show.

I agree with HyperCaz's statement about the morals of the show. I think Sam is one of the most moral and noble characters in all of TV, without being a completely one-dimensional character at the same time. He wasn't a robot. He was on occasion tempted to do things he knew he wasn't there to do (like when he wanted to save his Dad from a heart attack.....I know there were more, but, like I said, I haven't seen QL in years so a lot of the episodes are kind of blurring around in my mind), he got frustrated and scared, and he really cared about people even though he barely knew them.

I don't know why people think that shows have to be super violent and gory and full of sexual situations and the like to be considered good (i.e. non-cheesy) drama. QL hit on tons of social issues in a very compelling way while almost never resorting to those sorts of tactics. A few of the things I can remember off the top of my head as being addressed were: racism (in the episode that was a lot like "Driving Miss Daisy"), scientific testing on animals (when Sam was a chimp in the space program), and issues for the mentally handicapped (when he was Jimmy as well as when he was stuck in the mental institution). I personally think it's a lot easier to throw a bunch of cursing and violence and film everything extra-dark than it is to come up with a compelling story that really leaves you with a good moral while using none of those gimmicks.

Oh, yeah, and about the song copyrights, I totally agree! I've been waiting for years for WKRP in Cincinnatti to come out, but because they were at a radio station and there were always contemporary songs playing it may never happen. (At least that's what I've been told.)

Descent
October 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM
If the music copyright upsets you guys (I don't like it either), then I suggest you get the Region 2 DVD sets off of Ebay or something. Those still have all of the original music intact as far as I know.

SaberBlade
October 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Apparently there were rumours of a movie. Can anyone confirm this?

The rumours are supposed to be more than rumours, with a script having already been written and both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell being involved. However, the movie is supposed to act as a TV show pilot (or something that can be adapted into a TV show) because Scott Bakula would have a minor role and the main character would be his daughter (who was concieved when he leaped home for a short time).

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Aren't they amking a one-off special???

HyperCaz
October 31st, 2006, 12:31 AM
couple of shout outs.

the Quantum Leap LJ community (http://community.livejournal.com/dr_beckett/) - has lots of good icons and discussion.

Al's Place (http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/) - the comic books, alternate endings, outtakes, anything you can practically think of...great website.

On A Bold Leap Forward, it is amusing to note that 152 imdb.com users have given it a rating even though it doesn't technically exist.

taken from imdb.com:

In a recent interview with bbc.co.uk, Scott Bakula (Sept 06) said that he had not heard anything about a Quantum Leap (or Enterprise) revival or film.

bcfc
December 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I' cant find the last thread so I started a new one.

So as anyone got all five seasons yet, I cant afford it at the moment its about 20 pounds a box set here.

Some of my best episodes were from season 5,

Lee Harvey Oswald
Evil Leaper
Killin time
Leap between the states
Mirior Image (really sad)

GeneralO'Neil
December 16th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I love this show and I have seasons 1-4 and getting season 5 and gonna complete my set. I have many favorite eposides.

jannagalaxy
December 18th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I love this show and I have seasons 1-4 and getting season 5 and gonna complete my set. I have many favorite eposides.
I just can't believe the UK release date is boxing day! That's just so stupid!

bcfc
December 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I just can't believe the UK release date is boxing day! That's just so stupid!

I know could have watched this christmas being as theres nothing on.

bcfc
January 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Just got Season 5 on DVD some really good episodes classic scfi, Anyone who hates this series should watch all five years.

Callista
January 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Just got Season 5 on DVD some really good episodes classic scfi, Anyone who hates this series should watch all five years.
I got season 1 for my Christmas present from my brother. The pilot is a little clunky, but I'm very happy with the next few episodes. I'd forgotten how funny this show is.

poundpuppy29
January 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I loved this show at first when I watched Enterprise I kept going "Sam!" but this was an original show I would watch it when ever it was on or if it was in syndication loved this show loved it.

HyperCaz
January 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Must us Australians wait until next month? *grouses* I haven't seen season 5 but like the past couple of seasons, I'll buy it without seeing it. Have yet to be disappointed in that respect. :D

bcfc
January 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Must us Australians wait until next month? *grouses* I haven't seen season 5 but like the past couple of seasons, I'll buy it without seeing it. Have yet to be disappointed in that respect. :D

You wont be Season 5 is the best out of all five seasons, especially as its the last one to buy and has some goodys on their, and the very sad final episode. :(

HyperCaz
January 31st, 2007, 05:53 PM
I've read about the final episode and that is NO WAY to end a show. :( I wish they'd hurry up and reach a decision about A Bold Leap Forward.

Ishay
May 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
watching this on hulu :D i've always wanted to see this show

the fifth man
May 3rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
watching this on hulu :D i've always wanted to see this show

I absolutely loved this show as a kid.

Everlovin
May 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Where has this thread been my whole life? QL was the one show that I was willing as a teen to lose an hours sleep over. (I had to get up veerry early in the morning)

Loved QL. One of the best shows ever!

Loved that Al and Beth got together at the end. Gutted that Sam never made it home. Sincerely hope they make a movie and bring him home.

It's on hulu? Going to have to check that out!

the fifth man
May 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Where has this thread been my whole life? QL was the one show that I was willing as a teen to lose an hours sleep over. (I had to get up veerry early in the morning)

Loved QL. One of the best shows ever!

Loved that Al and Beth got together at the end. Gutted that Sam never made it home. Sincerely hope they make a movie and bring him home.

It's on hulu? Going to have to check that out!

Same here.

DigiFluid
July 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Scott Bakula teases a Quantum Leap movie? (http://airlockalpha.com/node/7656/quantum-leap-movie-could-be-in-works.html)

'Quantum Leap' Movie Could Be In Works
Former series star Scott Bakula says there's one on the drawing board

Dr. Sam Beckett may once again put right what once went wrong. This time on the big screen.

Former "Quantum Leap" star Scott Bakula told attendees at last weekend's San Diego Comic-Con that his 1990s show could see a rebirth as a film. "Quantum Leap" aired from 1989 to 1993, and has been rerun in syndication from time to time ever since.

LoneStar1836
July 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hmm...I'm not quite sure what to make of that as to whether I'd want one or not. :S

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'd love a Quantum Leap movie to happen. "Dr Sam Beckett never returned home" has never sat right with me so I'd love for him to get home and someone else take over for movies.

DigiFluid
July 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
:indeed: It was never right that he didn't get to go home =\

Though there's been rumours of a QL movie pretty much since the day the show ended so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM
:indeed: It was never right that he didn't get to go home =\

Though there's been rumours of a QL movie pretty much since the day the show ended so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

I can't comment about QL movie rumours, but I do remember the TV sequel idea with Sam "Samantha" Beckett trying to get her father home. I had hoped that would have been developed.

kiwigater
July 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm still bitter about the series finale :mckay: :p
Would dearly love to see it put right, but 17 years is a long time! Poor Sam, has he been bouncing around all this time??
(on a side note, I laughed my ass off when Scott appeared in "Chuck".... "oh boy!" :D :D )

Replicator Todd
July 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I still have not watched Quantum Leap. :( *hides in a corner*

DigiFluid
July 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
It's an interesting show.... It has a lot of dodgy episodes, but a whole lot of gems too.

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Even the dodgy episodes can work because Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell just worked fantastically well together. Usually the best character relationships tend to involve rivals (like Quark and Odo or Londo and G'Kar) but these two were great as best friends.

Fan-e-Gate
July 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
There aren't enough hours in the days to see all the stuff that you want to.

Replicator Todd
July 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
There aren't enough hours in the days to see all the stuff that you want to.

Indeed!

the fifth man
July 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Definitely worth checking out. It was, overall, a really great show.

Everlovin
July 31st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Bring Sam home!!

Not that I'll believe they'll actually make a movie. Just a fangurl dream...

DigiFluid
August 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Quantum Leap movie may be moving forward (http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/07/scott-bakula-says-quantum-leap-movie-is-in-the-works/)

Bakula told the gathered audience that “Quantum Leap” creator Donald P. Bellisario is currently writing a script for a big-screen version of the series and has a “big time” Hollywood producer interested in developing it. Unfortunately, Bakula says he’s now too old to step back into the role of Sam Beckett, but assured fans he’d play a role in it:

The good news is that Don [Quantum Leap creator Donald P. Bellisario] is working on the film script and has a big time Hollywood producer who wants to do it … It’s about time. But what I always thought would happen, happened … [that he's now too old for the role]. But Dean [Stockwell, who played Al] and I will have a part in it somehow.

Don did say that as he was writing, he told me he was having trouble, ‘getting you and Dean out of my head.’ But I know he will do it.

the fifth man
August 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Quantum Leap movie may be moving forward (http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/07/scott-bakula-says-quantum-leap-movie-is-in-the-works/)

WOW! I really hope this happens.

kiwigater
August 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Too old?? What sort of cop out is that! If Dean Stockwell isn't too old, then Scott Bakula certainly isn't. The whole POINT (for me) is for Bakula's Sam to get home, not some cop out impersonator :mckay:

(apparently I feel quite strongly about this :p )

SaberBlade
August 8th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Too old?? What sort of cop out is that! If Dean Stockwell isn't too old, then Scott Bakula certainly isn't. The whole POINT (for me) is for Bakula's Sam to get home, not some cop out impersonator :mckay:

You should feel strongly about it. Bakula being "too old" for the role is actually great, because they get to show how much has went on for Sam and Al during the 20 years the show has been off the air.

Sam never returning home pretty much suggest that he leaped until he died, so I think a movie taking place showing him old, tired and having Al there showing how much of a friendship these two guys have is a powerful statement towards the show's development of these characters.

A QL movie wouldn't be QL without the Sam/Al story being finished, with Sam getting back home and someone else taking over.

Skydiver
August 8th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Quantum Leap fans have just as much of a right to want a movie as any other fandom. If you don't like the idea, I suggest that you stay out of the thread and leave it be and show others the respect of letting them discuss what they want to discuss.

the fifth man
August 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I do agree that Sam needs a better ending than he got. Hopefully, he will get a chance at that.

Fan-e-Gate
August 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM

You should feel strongly about it. Bakula being "too old" for the role is actually great, because they get to show how much has went on for Sam and Al during the 20 years the show has been off the air.

Sam never returning home pretty much suggest that he leaped until he died, so I think a movie taking place showing him old, tired and having Al there showing how much of a friendship these two guys have is a powerful statement towards the show's development of these characters.

A QL movie wouldn't be QL without the Sam/Al story being finished, with Sam getting back home and someone else taking over.
I agree. If Scott & Dean aren't in it (as the major actors) I'm not interested in the movie.

planet_tv
August 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
It would interesting to see that Sam has already made it home and him and Al take turns as the hologram so that Beckett could take over for Gooshie. The person doing the leaping now could be a niece, nephew or someone related to Beckett. During the current leap it could be Al’s turn as the hologram then he gets sick and Beckett has to take over. Maybe the rest of the QL project team could be in danger of getting sick after Al gets sick and the leap is the whole key to fixing the current problem.

Just my thoughts on what I think the movie could be about.

4thDoctor
December 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I've been re-watching my Quantum Leap boxsets season by season, I had forgotten that Sam actually killed people from time to time.

mi_guard
December 9th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I've been re-watching my Quantum Leap boxsets season by season, I had forgotten that Sam actually killed people from time to time.
really? cannot remember that :S

4thDoctor
December 9th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Yep, I'm on season 4 and I've seen four episodes where Sam had to kill, he shot three bad guys and one bad girl and knocked another guy off of a cliff. All died.

jeri
December 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I don't remember that either. Good old Sam, nah! I loved Scott and Dean together. That was a fun show.

4thDoctor
December 9th, 2011, 08:11 PM
These are the episode titles in which sam killed.

Permanent Wave (shoots and kills a female killer)

M.I.A. (Shoots and kills two criminals with a shotgun)

The Leap Back (Hits a guy and knocks him off of a cliff)

Honeymoon Express (Stabs a killer)

Her Charm (Empties his gun into a killer's chest)

4thDoctor
December 10th, 2011, 12:17 AM
It's funny how advanced they thought that we would be by 1999. In the episode 'Killin' Time' we see Al drive into a city and they have parking signs that read "Electro-Magnetic Vehicles Only" along with video displays that come up on car windshields, and a prostitute with an apartment where everything works by voice command.

the fifth man
December 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM
It's funny how advanced they thought that we would be by 1999. In the episode 'Killin' Time' we see Al drive into a city and they have parking signs that read "Electro-Magnetic Vehicles Only" along with video displays that come up on car windshields, and a prostitute with an apartment where everything works by voice command.

So we have a little catching up to do.:) What a great show this was.

Klenotka
December 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I recently watched the whole show, too. I have never seen the whole thing in English (I used to watch it on German TV when I was a kid). So I remember, and I even know that he first killed in first episode of Season 2.
But everytime, he had to, because it was either a self defense or he was in a body of a cop or a detective.

As for their idea of 1999 - it all exists but I guess people just didn´t warm up to the idea of a voice control and electrical cars are slower and still more expensive. We´ll get there, they predicted it just too soon :) Look at Back to the Future...I seriously doubt there will be cars flying around in 4 years :)

the fifth man
December 14th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I hope cars can never fly. People can barely drive on the road.

4thDoctor
December 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
My father always says "If they ever invent flying cars you'll see them stuck up in trees all over the place".

the fifth man
December 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
My father always says "If they ever invent flying cars you'll see them stuck up in trees all over the place".

Yeah, and flying into houses, crashing into buildings, and crashing into cars and people on the ground.

Klenotka
December 18th, 2011, 03:54 AM
And imagine what would happen, if we knew how to travel in time ;)

4thDoctor
December 18th, 2011, 03:57 AM
History would change around us, some of us would cease to exist, others spring into being and no one would be aware of any change. 33175

QuantumIguana
December 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Electric cars can be quite fast. The Tesla Roadster goes from 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds. It's top speed is around 135 miles per hour, so it's not going to enter NASCAR, but few people will drive that fast on the street anyway. Neighborhood electric vehicles don't go fast enough for highway speeds, but that doesn't mean an electric car can't be fast.

I think that capacitors will be the future of electic cars rather than batteries. Capacitors charge much faster than batteries, and last a great many times longer than rechargable batteries. The disadvantage is that the best capacitors only have about 1/10 the energy capacity of batteries. But the energy storage of capacitors has increased by 10,000 times, so it shouldn't be possible to improve them enough to meet or exceed the capacity of batteries.

When that happens, it means that electric cars become a lot more practical. Minutes instead of hours to charge, and the capacitors won't wear out.

4thDoctor
December 20th, 2011, 12:28 AM
So if you could travel through time but remain in the same space would you run the risk of appearing in outer space if you went back to a time when the Earth was in a different point of it's orbit?

Aeron
February 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I've loved Quantum Leap since I was quite young. I used to watch re-runs with my family, and have watched all the series' over and over again. I love how relevant most of the stuff still is, and how it brought up issues like racism, sexism, homophobia, teenage pregnancy, everything! I'll probably show it to my kids, if I can. It will forever be my favourite sci-fi show.

AlexanderD
February 12th, 2012, 02:10 PM
It is on Netflix, and a wonderful way to refresh yourself on episodes you loved way back when.

planet_tv
February 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I did find that the show is re-running on the channel G4. I noticed it on Zap2it's tv listings one day recently but then went darn because I don't get that channel anymore. I may have the series on DVD but sometimes there's nothing like watching an episode when it's on TV and there's nothing else on.