Who do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who do you prefer?

who do you prefer as a villain, the goa'uld or the ori. i really hope this hasnt been discussed, i searched the forum but didnt really find anything.

i like goa'uld better. they were more stylish and fancy. and a real threat. the ori are to abstract enemy and way to powerful. it appears they cant be defeated. goa'uld could be fought unlike the ori. like mitchel said, in a war you have to sides fighting, all we have here is a lot of wining by the bad guys.
    sigpic

Personally I don't think TPTB could of come up with a better enemy than the Ori, if the Ori had turned up before season 9 and all the changes I'm sure all their critics would be singing a very different tune...

Comment

The Goa'uld, no question whatsoever about it. They were far more interesting.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I prefer the Ori, I think it was Michael Shanks who said an unseen enemy is much more effective, leaves it upto the viewers to imagine what they're like. I feel ever since they killed Ra the goa'uld could never be seen as a really powerful enemy, really powerful enemies should not be able to be taken out as easily. The Ori are a true enemy, all powerful, with weapons, ships and general technology that dwarves that of the goa'uld. In the first few seasons we had an undog feel about the goa'uld but with the Ori we're even less than that, there's no hope earth could defeat them on their own, outside help will be needed. The Ori are my all time favourite SG-1 enemy and wish there could be a few more seasons to really get to know them, what they're capable of and their other technologies. I'd love to see an Ori super ship, something so large (making hives look like cruisers) and powerful not even a city ship could hope to put a dent in it but we'll never get to see one of those .

Comment

The Ori.

Comment

I like them both, but I like the Goa'uld a little more because they were more developed and were better comic relief for SG-1, towards the end. The Ori had potential before they decided to cancel the show. I just like the idea of fighting ascended beings.

: Green is Good.
            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

The Goa'uld are far more entertaining. The Ori COULD be far more terroizing if they showed more death and destruction.

With your villian you need atleast two qualities:

Suspense--not knowing what they will do.
              Arrogance
              Self Centered--to some degree
              Flare

Ori have: Arrogance but lack the rest. No suspense with the Ori because you already know what they will do. Very predictable! The ori are self centered but the Priors and Adria are brainwashed followers. By focasing on the Priors and Adria that takes away from the enemy. The Ori have no flare what-so-ever! (Hitler or Bin Laden would make a better enemy then the Ori!)

MS had a point about the more mysterious an enemy is--the more scary they are. But the Ori are NOT that mysterious so far. They are not the ascended version of Jaws. More like--the ascended version of of an occult.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I love the mythology aspect of the Goa'uld. I love the idea of fighting the old gods from all of Earth's mythoogies. That was one of the reasons I enjoyed the idea of Stargate from the movie - I really like al the ancient Egyptian bits and the idea of basing a science fiction movie on that appealed to me - and so did the show.

However, I have to say that the Orii are a much more affective enemy, IMO. As Kirmit said, we're not bound by the imagination of the writers. Because I don't get to actually see the Orii, they can engolf everything that terrifies me, rather than the writers/ art department etc. Also, the fact we continually saw the Goa'uld also meant that they were much more human. What's human, you can relate to, and then it isn't so scary anymore - not to mention that they were done over-the-top, on purpose. My favoruite Goa'uld is Ba'al, and a part of the reason for that is that he;s not as a caricature as the rest of them - which is why my second favourite is prolly Jim, although Anubis is somewhere in the end. But both Ba'al and Jim, much liek regular Anubis, Apophis, Heru-ur, etc... they're not scary. They're entertaining. The very idea of the Orii is scary.
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Personally I don't think TPTB could of come up with a better enemy than the Ori, if the Ori had turned up before season 9 and all the changes I'm sure all their critics would be singing a very different tune...
                  I couldn't agree with your post more.

I loved the Goa'uld, don't get me wrong. They were a great foe. But the Ori, IMO, have been a far superior enemy.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                    I prefer the Ori, I think it was Michael Shanks who said an unseen enemy is much more effective, leaves it upto the viewers to imagine what they're like. I feel ever since they killed Ra the goa'uld could never be seen as a really powerful enemy, really powerful enemies should not be able to be taken out as easily. The Ori are a true enemy, all powerful, with weapons, ships and general technology that dwarves that of the goa'uld. In the first few seasons we had an undog feel about the goa'uld but with the Ori we're even less than that, there's no hope earth could defeat them on their own, outside help will be needed. The Ori are my all time favourite SG-1 enemy and wish there could be a few more seasons to really get to know them, what they're capable of and their other technologies. I'd love to see an Ori super ship, something so large (making hives look like cruisers) and powerful not even a city ship could hope to put a dent in it but we'll never get to see one of those .
                    Great post I agree. The fact that the Ori are an unseen enemy make them just so much more terrifying.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                      ok. but if even a fully powered lantean city ship cant scratch their BIG ship what/who can. even outside help wouldnt do us much good. i mean if we get to see the furlings what are they gonna help us? maybe the true god will come and defeat our enemy
                      sigpic

Comment

i'm not criticizing the ori. i just like goa'uld better.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not true--in some cases. Me? I have to say . . . the Gou'alds because I love mythology and history. The Gou'alds are based off of two of my favorite subjects. The Ori are okay, but they are like a very narrow-minded religion--something that doesn't interested me too much. Don't get me wrong, I love S9 and S10 and I like the whole direction they're going with the Ori. I just prefer the Gou'ald for the mythology that is part of the reason why I love this show. I would be very disappointed in the show if it didn't use Arthurian mythology for the Ori storyline. I just wished they use more and different mythology for them. The Gou'alds pulled from all different culture's mythology. I loved that.

Comment

Originally posted by ziga1980 View Post
                            ok. but if even a fully powered lantean city ship cant scratch their BIG ship what/who can. even outside help wouldnt do us much good. i mean if we get to see the furlings what are they gonna help us? maybe the true god will come and defeat our enemy
                            that's my point, if an enemy wants to retain the all powerful status there should be nothing that can defeat them, especially not a far inferior race like the tauri. It should be upto earth to somehow convince the ancients to get directly involved, by I dunno forcing the Ori's hand and bluffing them to getting directly involved. If the Ori directly interfere with our plain then it'll give the ancients just cause to finally step in. TBH I was disappointed with 'The pegasus project' [/spoiler] Earth Already blowing up one of their ships?! wth, that should not of happened so early on, it diminished the Ori's power already [/spoiler] A big mistake by TPTB. Even merlins weapon is a big mistake, you find a weakness in your enemy and it'll instantly diminished their effectiveness as an enemy, the Ori should still be portrayed as unstoppable imo.

Comment

but they havent found the merlins weapon, yet. and i dont think they're going to. because that kinda ends the whole point of season 9, 10. would be stupid for writers to give us merlins weapon. maybe in the movie, but we wouldnt be able to use it or something.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X