PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Atlantis Season 2 (Region 1 DVD)- March 6, 2007 (Confirmed date)

Ugly Pig
December 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
According to TVShowsOnDVD (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6672). Looks like March 6th is the date.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
TVShowsOnDVD has revealed the Date, Specs and Extras for the SGA Season 2 DVD which will be released on March 6, 2007

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6672

And unlike the SGA Season 1 DVD, there will be commentaries on all 20 episodes. Here's a summary of some of the commentaries (and commentators) you can expect:
-3 of them by Peter DeLuise and Gary Jones
-3 featuring David Hewlett and Joe Flanigan
-5 featuring David Hewlett (excluding the 3 with JF), including Grace Under Pressure (also featuring Amanda Tapping)
-2 commentaries by Martin Wood and Peter DeLuise

I've mentioned it here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=30316) as well.

senordingdong
December 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
How weird, region 2 are due to get it in February.

HirogenGater
December 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
The wait between S1 and S2 is nuts.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 2nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
How weird, region 2 is due to get it in February.

You already have SGA Season 2, you have them in individual volumes (it's a bad joke, I know the full box for SGA Season 2 is due in Feb).

TheUnknown
December 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
For the special features list, it has "Commentary on Road to a Dream with Martin Gero." What is that supposed to be? It's listed as an episode.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 2nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
For the special features list, it has "Commentary on Road to a Dream with Martin Gero." What is that supposed to be? It's listed as an episode.
Yeah, I was a little curious about that too.

Aussie_Fan
December 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Finally something good about living in Australia... S2 is out already :D

Agent_Dark
December 3rd, 2006, 05:45 AM

Probably an error on the site. On the region 4 dvd's there's a featurette called 'Martin Gero: Road to a Dream', which is basically a mockumentry of Gero following his lifelong dream of being an actor by playing Beckett's more handsome brother. Quite funny :D

prion
December 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
TVShowsOnDVD has revealed the Date, Specs and Extras for the SGA Season 2 DVD which will be released on March 6, 2007

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6672

And unlike the SGA Season 1 DVD, there will be commentaries on all 20 episodes. Here's a summary of some of the commentaries (and commentators) you can expect:
-3 of them by Peter DeLuise and Gary Jones
-3 featuring David Hewlett and Joe Flanigan
-5 featuring David Hewlett (excluding the 3 with JF), including Grace Under Pressure (also featuring Amanda Tapping)
-2 commentaries by Martin Wood and Peter DeLuise

I've mentioned it here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=30316) as well.

WHY are Gary Jones and Peter Deluise doing comments on he show? They're SG1, not SGA??? (No disrespect to the actors, but why not get SGA actors to do the commentaries?!) Sigh, the whole way they're handling this DVD set is just revolting. I bet they shove it back to May.

P.S. Big thanks to http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6672 for breaking this news to fandom.

Randy_Watson
December 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
WHY are Gary Jones and Peter Deluise doing comments on he show? They're SG1, not SGA??? (No disrespect to the actors, but why not get SGA actors to do the commentaries?!) Sigh, the whole way they're handling this DVD set is just revolting. I bet they shove it back to May.

Peter Deluise directed numerous episodes of SGA.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Peter Deluise directed numerous episodes of SGA.
Yeah, and DeLuise and Gary Jones have done some memorable and funny commentaries. I'm glad there are 3 commentaries, 3 funny commentaries with Jones & DeLuise

TheUnknown
December 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

P.S. Big thanks to http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6672 for breaking this news to fandom.

Yeah, I found it strange, too, though I don't mind having Gary doing commentaries for Atlantis. He also did Season 1 stuff and even commented that he wasn't in any of the episodes and didn't know what was going on, lol.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I found it strange, too, though I don't mind having Gary doing commentaries for Atlantis. He also did Season 1 stuff and even commented that he wasn't in any of the episodes and didn't know what was going on, lol.
Gary did the commentary for The Gift, although he might have participated in some of the commentaries cut out (I don't know why they were) of the Season 1 DVD.

starmage
December 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I think they should make up for making us wait so long by putting in some more extras. They could also get some more commentaries on episodes from the actual cast. I mean come on Joe should have at least done commentary for the episode he wrote.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I think they should make up for making us wait so long by putting in some more extras. They could also get some more commentaries on episodes from the actual cast. I mean come on Joe should have at least done commentary for the episode he wrote.
Joe didn't write a good number of episodes for Season 2, Paul Mullie wrote them, however Joe was credited as a writer because he and Paul are writing partners. I heard about that in a commentary from Season 9 Box Set (it was either "The Powers That Be" or "The Ties That Bind", I forget)

I think they should make up for making us wait so long by putting in some more extras.
They should release "The Siege" as a standalone DVD (all 3 parts as one), with extras, and a full length commentary for all 3 parts.

starmage
December 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Didn't Joe write the story for Epiphany? I heard it got change around a lot from the original concept. I just would have like to hear his imput during the episode and learn what was from his original pitch and what was change.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Didn't Joe write the story for Epiphany?
Your thinking of Joe Flanigan, I'm talking about Joe Mallozzi.

Pharaoh Atem
December 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM
well it's abotu time!!!!!!!! but we have to wait till march for region 1 :mckay:

TheWarrior
January 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
DVDActive (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/stargate-atlantis5.html) cover-art and specifications on the Region 1 DVD.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
DVDActive (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/stargate-atlantis5.html) cover-art and specifications on the Region 1 DVD.
Thanks for that update, TheWarrior. The Cover art looks interesting, but sucks that there are commentaries on selected episodes. Compared to the SG-1 DVDs, the SGA DVDs suck, mainly because of the number of commentaries included with the SGA S2 box set.

Question for the English (aka people with the SGA S2 Region 2 DVD): Who many commentaries came with your SGA S2 DVDs?

IndianaJones00
January 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I dont know why they say 'commentaries on selected episodes' in the main description because if you read the contents listed below there are audio commentaries on all 20 episodes.

Also just to confirm, the UK and Australian DVD releases of Season 2 have commentaries on all 20 episodes so it doesnt make sense that the US release would be missing any of them.

sgeureka
January 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Question for the English (aka people with the SGA S2 Region 2 DVD): Who many commentaries came with your SGA S2 DVDs?For every episode, i.e. 20. (See a list of all commentaries for S2 on European DVDs here (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6672).)

Edit: I should have read the post above. :o

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
If DVDActive is correct, and Region 1 (me included) gets selected Commentaries, I am going to be mad.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The artwork has now been posted on TVShowsOnDVD.com:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6790

Fifer
January 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Can anybody tell me what the differences in content are between a Region 1 and Region 2 boxset? Is there anything major that differs between the two releases?

I only ask because it will cost £45 to buy it Region 2 upon release but by buying the Region 1 from Amazon.com, including international shipping, it will save me about £20. Obviously you can see why that is very, very appealing. :)

DGeraghty
January 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Also just to confirm, the UK and Australian DVD releases of Season 2 have commentaries on all 20 episodes so it doesnt make sense that the US release would be missing any of them.

It is very likely that this may be the case. I haven't checked myself but I can tell you that in almost all cases, DVD releases vary greatly in their extra content across differant regions. This is a marketing ploy by the companies to differentiate differant markets and why the Australian Competition and Consumer Comminsion was one of the first in the world to legalise multi-region DVD players and DVD player chipping to lift region restrictions.

If you dont want to wait untill March you can order Season 2 from EZYDVD.com.au here in Australia who offer international shipping.

Its great now that in the last 6 months we have been getting TV releases such as Stargate and BSG up to 6 months before the US market and we dont have to buy stupid half seasons ie BSG 2.0 and 2.5 (WTF is up with that!!!)

Randy_Watson
February 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Season 2 is almost here. I am excited, I still don't know what happens at the end of season 1's cliffhanger. I am rewatching it now along with Sg-1 season 8.

I really wish they would but out the Season 3 dvd's faster this time, so those of us who are behind could catch up to the network broadcast.

Randy_Watson
February 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
The artwork has now been posted on TVShowsOnDVD.com:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6790

New artwork:
New Season 2 Art (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6877)

IndianaJones00
February 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM
The Region 1 release of Stargate Atlantis Season 2 is now available to buy, at least I have seen it listed as instock on one website.

prion
February 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Online prices as of today

BEST BUY - $39.99
CIRCUIT CITY - $39.99
WALMART - $36.92
AMAZON - $34.99
DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.COM - $33.92

Looks like deepdiscountdvd wins - free shipping if you don't mind waiting a few days after release to get it

Randy_Watson
February 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Looks like deepdiscountdvd wins - free shipping if you don't mind waiting a few days after release to get it

Received my shipping notice from them yesterday, so hopefully it'll be here by next Tuesday, or this weekend if Im extra lucky.

Alipeeps
February 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM
My DVDs arrived yesterday... was interested to note that the high production values of the SGA Season 1 DVDs are still being upheld... with the photos for Siege III and Intruder mixed up in the accompany booklet! :rolleyes:

senordingdong
February 28th, 2007, 01:39 PM
My DVDs arrived yesterday... was interested to note that the high production values of the SGA Season 1 DVDs are still being upheld... with the photos for Siege III and Intruder mixed up in the accompany booklet! :rolleyes:

Did the same last year with 'Home' and 'Underground'.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
February 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I heard about that (thing with the SGA Season 1 DVDs). My friend was trying to look for the SGA S1 DVD and he couldn't find it anywhere.

BEST BUY - $39.99
CIRCUIT CITY - $39.99
WALMART - $36.92
AMAZON - $34.99

That's where I'm buying my SGA S2 DVD (the bolded and big part).

hermiod626
February 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Holy Hannah I am sooo excited. I work at a hollywood Video up here in Washington State and we just recieved Atlanis Season 2. Since the employees can rent dvd's before they are released I am sooooo going to nab them and have a marathon. As far as I know Hollywood Video hasn't carried anything related to Stargate except the movie and the two pilots...so I'm excited. I am so goint to pimp them out to all the customers :) This is the most awsome thing to happen at hollywood video since we got in Joss Whedon's Firefly.

Randy_Watson
March 1st, 2007, 05:04 AM
Holy Hannah I am sooo excited. I work at a hollywood Video up here in Washington State and we just recieved Atlanis Season 2. Since the employees can rent dvd's before they are released I am sooooo going to nab them and have a marathon. As far as I know Hollywood Video hasn't carried anything related to Stargate except the movie and the two pilots...so I'm excited. I am so goint to pimp them out to all the customers :) This is the most awsome thing to happen at hollywood video since we got in Joss Whedon's Firefly.

When I worked at Holywood, they only had the Rising and the movie. :(

Beckmen
March 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Accompany booklet? What do you mean? My set only came with a book of ads for Stargate merch...

Comtraya!
March 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Newegg $32.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168027616067869DV

GateByte
March 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Accompany booklet? What do you mean? My set only came with a book of ads for Stargate merch...
I wonder if the S2 sets here will have booklets or not. (though I'm in Canada, but that shouldn't make a difference it's still R1). I'd take a booklet with pics, over adverts any day.

Trek_Girl42
March 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm curious as to what prices anyone has seen in Canada for the set (excluding online), I opened up this week's future shop flyer excited to see the set.....only to discover that it costs $52.99. :eek: Cheapest Stargate release yet? (as it's been advertised) I don't think so..... :rolleyes:

Anyone know of it being sold elsewhere cheaper? (sadly the number of places to shop in my town is limited as well though)

GateByte
March 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I'm curious as to what prices anyone has seen in Canada for the set (excluding online), I opened up this week's future shop flyer excited to see the set.....only to discover that it costs $52.99. :eek: Cheapest Stargate release yet? (as it's been advertised) I don't think so..... :rolleyes:

Anyone know of it being sold elsewhere cheaper? (sadly the number of places to shop in my town is limited as well though)
I'm having my mom pick it up for me from best buy for $44.99. It wasn't in the flyer (I looked) but it's on their site if you look (not prominent anywhere, I actually had to hunt for it). But if you have one you can check store stock online to see if they have it.

Angela V
March 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
And Walmart's not advertising. pooh. Even Zellers. Though I just got season 1 for Valentine's Day. So I think I have to wait until Mother's Day for season 2!

And I got no stinking booklet! just ads. Hmph!
:samanime15:

I took a look at the revised cover of S2. Just some more colour! Kind of disappointed. I think Shep is way too big on it. I don't like how certain other characters look so TINY in the background. Hate that. Since I've only watched up to episode 6 on my t.v., does Big Shep and slightly smaller Weir and Ronan mean these 3 have the most to do in this season?

Gwynevere
March 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM

I preordered mine through amazon.ca and their price is $44.96. So hopefully I'll be getting mine either Tommorow or Tuesday, so exicted.(I've preordered stuff through amazon before and sometimes their nice and you actually get it a day before its released.)

Beckmen
March 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I am going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to get mine, and if it's not there sitting on the shelf I am going to be pretty mad. Didn't want to pre-order because I hate waiting for shipping and worrying about stuff getting lost in the mail, which has happened to me a few times.

Really looking forward to it. Watched the season 1 DVDs last week. Other than The Siege I and II, which I am probably watching today so when I watch III for the first time on DVD I and II will be really fresh in the memory.

Randy_Watson
March 5th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Got mine in the mail on Saturday, really enjoying it so far. The production of the DVDs is much more polished than season 1.

The best part is, I got it for free through a radio contest!

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 5th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I am going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to get mine, and if it's not there sitting on the shelf I am going to be pretty mad. Didn't want to pre-order because I hate waiting for shipping and worrying about stuff getting lost in the mail, which has happened to me a few times.

Really looking forward to it. Watched the season 1 DVDs last week. Other than The Siege I and II, which I am probably watching today so when I watch III for the first time on DVD I and II will be really fresh in the memory.
I too am going to get the Season 2 DVD tomorrow from Wal-Mart. I would like to buy it at Shopko, but I want to save a few bucks, so I buy at Wal-Mart.

Here's my watching order
-Watch The Seige Part 3
-Watch the teaser for Runner (to see what kind of opening credits it has)
-Listen to the DVD commentary for Grace Under Pressure (with Hewlett, Tapping, and the Martins)

ussrelativity
March 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Got mine in the mail on Saturday, really enjoying it so far. The production of the DVDs is much more polished than season 1.

The best part is, I got it for free through a radio contest!

A radio contest? That must have been something. The chances of me winning anything over the radio are slim to none.

Randy_Watson
March 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
A radio contest? That must have been something. The chances of me winning anything over the radio are slim to none.

It was early in the morning so I think there wasn't much competition and was for a gift certificate for a dvdstore.

Ugly Pig
March 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
-Watch the teaser for Runner (to see what kind of opening credits it has)

'Runner' has the old opening credits sequence. :)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
'Runner' has the old opening credits sequence. :)
Oh, that's bull****. And let me guess Siege Part 3 and Intruder both have the old credits, too.

They should've just left those episodes with the 10 second credits.

Dom
March 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
www.thecnl.com have it for $44.76.

There warehouse is located at the bottom of Boundary Road, south of Marine Way. They have the DVD's in stock as I saw them when I was there on Saturday.

prion
March 6th, 2007, 06:12 AM

BEST BUY - $39.99
CIRCUIT CITY - $39.99
WALMART - $36.92
AMAZON - $34.99

Got mine at walmart today for $36.99. figured best buy was cheaper, but I decided the $2 difference was worth the incredible aggravation of trying to park at best buy at lunch time....

Contains 3 slimset DVDs, one glossy page promo for other shows on DVD; a merchandise pamphlet which lists season 1 dvd set, stargate worlds, sga trading cards, creation con stuff, official magazine, sg1 figurines, sg1 dvds.

COVERS
DVD 1: Sheppard, Teyla, Ronon and a wraith
DVD 2: Weir and Teyla
DVD 3: Ronon and Teyla and female wraith

Oops, no McKay, no Beckett!

Ugly Pig
March 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Oh, that's bull****. And let me guess Siege Part 3 and Intruder both have the old credits, too.

Yep. What's wrong with that? :S

Ugly Pig
March 6th, 2007, 08:40 AM
COVERS

Yet Teyla's on all of them? That's some strange priorities there.

Pharaoh Atem
March 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM
:mckay: i can't leave the house today :( i wanna get it so bad

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Yep. What's wrong with that? :S
Well, for starters, MGM/Fox delays the DVD from November to March, and they just think, "Oh, lets kill some time and just slap the old credits on the first 3 episodes, no one will notice." I would have prefered to have new 60-second opening credits on the first 2 eps, and the 10-second opening credits on Runner, or the 10-second credits on first 3 episodes.

TheXym
March 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Preordered mine through Barnes & Noble due to a buy one get one sale on DVD TV box sets, so I bought the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon box set and preordered Atlantis when that was going on, plus I had an extra 15% off coupon for B&N members, so I got both sets for the total of $37.88 including shipping. Hopefully it'll be here when I get home from teaching so I can start enjoying them with my kids :D

Atlantis1
March 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I got mine today at Fred Meyer for $31.99. They were having a 20% off sale on dvd sets.

Darkdreams
March 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Bought mine today at Fry's electronics for $34.99. cant wait to put it on my ipod.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I am going to buy my DVD in about 20 minutes, I can't wait to get it.

Trek_Girl42
March 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Got mine at walmart today for $36.99. figured best buy was cheaper, but I decided the $2 difference was worth the incredible aggravation of trying to park at best buy at lunch time....

Contains 3 slimset DVDs, one glossy page promo for other shows on DVD; a merchandise pamphlet which lists season 1 dvd set, stargate worlds, sga trading cards, creation con stuff, official magazine, sg1 figurines, sg1 dvds.

COVERS

Soooo....Ronan and Teyla are doubled (and tripled), and Mckay and Beckett are left out? What the frak are they thinking.....

*sigh* I'm not buying it at the moment, it's probably way too expensive everywhere in my town and I'm a little short on cash. Waited a year and a half to see it already, may as well continue watching the season on tv for now. :rolleyes:

mcpickles
March 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I got my set today, and I'm confused. I swear I saw an ad for the S2 dvds on tv last night and it mentioned "Never before seen footage" or something to that effect, but there's no sign of that on the dvds. Were they talking about stuff from the featurettes, maybe? Haven't watched those yet.

Meanwhile, I am thrilled that FINALLY we have a "Play All" option!

Angela V
March 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Preordered mine through Barnes & Noble due to a buy one get one sale on DVD TV box sets, so I bought the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon box set and preordered Atlantis when that was going on, plus I had an extra 15% off coupon for B&N members, so I got both sets for the total of $37.88 including shipping. Hopefully it'll be here when I get home from teaching so I can start enjoying them with my kids :D

Dungeons and Dragons on DVD???? Yippee.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I did get the DVD yesterday. I've only watched the commentary for Grace Under Pressure.

I learned that at the end, where Rodney opens the rear hatch using the backup...opener, they actually made it got faster (why the bubbles from Rodney's mouth are going so fastly) because they couldn't get the water down faster.

Also I learned they used 3 jumpers for GUP, the 1st was the one they started with (and the one Shep and Zelenka used), the second was the one when the water started pouring into the jumper, and third one was the one at the very end (where Shep and Zelenka rescue Rodney).

Randy_Watson
March 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Meanwhile, I am thrilled that FINALLY we have a "Play All" option!

Yes, the lack of play all is one of my biggest pet peeves on TV dvds.

gateroom
March 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Soooo....Ronan and Teyla are doubled (and tripled), and Mckay and Beckett are left out? What the frak are they thinking.....

*sigh* I'm not buying it at the moment, it's probably way too expensive everywhere in my town and I'm a little short on cash. Waited a year and a half to see it already, may as well continue watching the season on tv for now. :rolleyes:

I got mine for 34.99 at Best Buy. I think that is cheaper than any other place other then a website maybe.

mckaychick
March 7th, 2007, 07:54 AM
i got my copy for 34.99 at a store called fye.

Beckmen
March 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Picked it up and watched the first four episodes. It's saddening, MGM/Fox didn't do a very good job technically here. I am seeing A LOT of compression artifacting. Never noticed that on any other Stargate set before. Watch when there is quick camera moves (mainly in The Runner). It turns into Block City. We deserve better than this, it looks like a pirated DVD!

Trek_Girl42
March 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I got mine for 34.99 at Best Buy. I think that is cheaper than any other place other then a website maybe.
:eek:
I was at the store today and saw it, and against my better judgement did buy it. :P $60 CDN including tax. The rest of the season had better be good! ;)

Unfortunately I think the closest Best Buy is a two hour drive. :rolleyes:

gateroom
March 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
:eek:
I was at the store today and saw it, and against my better judgement did buy it. :P $60 CDN including tax. The rest of the season had better be good! ;)

Unfortunately I think the closest Best Buy is a two hour drive. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that sucks

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Picked it up and watched the first four episodes. It's saddening, MGM/Fox didn't do a very good job technically here. I am seeing A LOT of compression artifacting. Never noticed that on any other Stargate set before. Watch when there is quick camera moves (mainly in The Runner). It turns into Block City. We deserve better than this, it looks like a pirated DVD!
Who knows your version might be a pirated DVD.

Beckmen
March 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I bought it at Wal-Mart in New York State, not in the streets of Beijing, pretty sure it's not a pirated copy...

Randy_Watson
March 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I bought it at Wal-Mart in New York State, not in the streets of Beijing, pretty sure it's not a pirated copy...

Weird, mine looks great on my 52 inch TV. Maybe the rest of the discs will look better for you, if not, I suggest returning it for another copy, just say it skips or something.

lily
March 8th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Well, for starters, MGM/Fox delays the DVD from November to March, and they just think, "Oh, lets kill some time and just slap the old credits on the first 3 episodes, no one will notice." I would have prefered to have new 60-second opening credits on the first 2 eps, and the 10-second opening credits on Runner, or the 10-second credits on first 3 episodes.

The way the opening credits are shown is the way the show aired everywhere around the world except on Sci Fi, so it's not like they changed something for the DVDs only. Everybody watched the show with the credits like that, except those who watch the Sci Fi channel :D

Personally I think it makes sense to have the old credits on the first 3 episodes because viewers don't know (unless they are on fandom, which most viewers aren't) about Ronon until the 3rd episode, and Ford is in two of the first 3 episodes, so it makes sense to me that the new credits are used only after Ronon has been introduced, and the old ones remain in the previous episodes.

Might be your DVD player or boxset. Mine looks great and I haven't noticed any of the problems you describe.

mckaychick
March 8th, 2007, 07:30 AM
yeah just got mine and its great

Ugly Pig
March 8th, 2007, 08:38 AM

That's very unfortunate. Atlantis is a show that can and should look great. I'm glad I have the region 2 releases.

TheXym
March 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Absolutely ZERO image problems with the first 2 discs of my Region 1 set, I'll know about 3 and 4 tonight ;)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 8th, 2007, 09:57 AM
The way the opening credits are shown is the way the show aired everywhere around the world except on Sci Fi, so it's not like they changed something for the DVDs only. Everybody watched the show with the credits like that, except those who watch the Sci Fi channel :D

Personally I think it makes sense to have the old credits on the first 3 episodes because viewers don't know (unless they are on fandom, which most viewers aren't) about Ronon until the 3rd episode, and Ford is in two of the first 3 episodes, so it makes sense to me that the new credits are used only after Ronon has been introduced, and the old ones remain in the previous episodes.
What about Paul McGillion? He was credited as a cast member in the first 3 episodes. Are you trying to tell me that with the Season 1 credits being used on the DVD, Paul's being uncredited.

And for the record, Canada also got the 10-Second credits for the first 3 when it aired there (at least when it aired in HD), I think.

Beckmen
March 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM
McGillion is credited as a guest star in those first 3 episodes.

I have a 34" Widescreen TV and an upscaling DVD player. Seems like the possibility of me having a bad set is pretty low. Hmmm. This concerns me.

Atlantis1
March 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mine plays great. It is one of the best quality dvds I have every gotten. Audio is super.

Trek_Girl42
March 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Mine plays great to- granted I have a very shoddy tv, but it looked excellent on it, though I only saw a couple commentaries from the first disc so far- but the Seige III effects look amazing, and that's probably a good one to judge by. :P

Beckmen
March 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
OK, here are some samples...

(A blow-up)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/beckmen/sga2.jpg

(And the original)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/beckmen/sga2-1.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/beckmen/sga1.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/beckmen/sga1-1.jpg

Not too noticeable in those little pics, but on a 34" Widescreen display, kind of hard NOT to notice. It's really distracting.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM
McGillion is credited as a guest star in those first 3 episodes.
oh, I didn't know that, hell, Grace Under Pressure is the only episode on my DVD that I've watched so far

Randy_Watson
March 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM
OK, here are some samples...

Not too noticeable in those little pics, but on a 34" Widescreen display, kind of hard NOT to notice. It's really distracting.

Definately something wrong with your discs, mine don't show that at all.

Beckmen
March 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Anybody else? I need more opinions on this...

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
March 9th, 2007, 01:55 PM
hey how long is the siege part III: 43 minutes and how many seconds?

Vash
March 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Got my set today at Best Buy and it was the last copy. Though the outer box was a bit bent in a few places, I can't really complain because it was the last one and I really wanted it today.

Beckmen
March 11th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Nobody wants to do frame-by-frame on that shot in Instinct and see if the artifacts show up? Taking my DVD back is kind of pointless, WM is only going to have more copies from the same pressing...

I can live with this if I know everybody's set is this way. It also seems to taper off in the other discs, a bit. Still there, but not as obvious. Maybe I am also being too discerning.

Ugly Pig
March 12th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Nobody wants to do frame-by-frame on that shot in Instinct and see if the artifacts show up?

Well, I don't have the region 1 edition so I haven't seen it... But if the artifacts are there on one disc, they should be on all copies. I just don't see how it could affect only a few select ones. But you probably won't get confirmation from anyone here, I think most people just aren't "sensitive" enough to notice this kind of flaw in their DVDs. Maybe you'd have more luck asking in some home theater/DVD enthusiast type forum.

Randy_Watson
March 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Nobody wants to do frame-by-frame on that shot in Instinct and see if the artifacts show up? Taking my DVD back is kind of pointless, WM is only going to have more copies from the same pressing...

I can live with this if I know everybody's set is this way. It also seems to taper off in the other discs, a bit. Still there, but not as obvious. Maybe I am also being too discerning.

Whats the time stamp on those shots? I can get some caps later today.

Beckmen
March 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Somewhere around 39 or 40 minutes into Instinct. Not sure where the Runner one is anymore, but it doesn't really matter. That one shot from Instinct is a good one to check.

Randy_Watson
March 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
There is definately a little bit of something there, but to be honest I barely notice it on my 52 inch hd setup and I am usually the guy who complains about things no one else can see:

pic1 (http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/starman9000/PDVD_000.jpg)
pic2 (http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/starman9000/stargate1.jpg)

Beckmen
March 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Oh, yeah it's there on pic 2. OK, I didn't get a bum set. I can deal. I am sure I will be upgrading to the HD-DVD or BD eventually, anyway.

You might not notice it if your sharpness isn't up very high. I am one of those guys who completely ignore calibration advice and just does it to my own liking, so I got my sharpness up as far as it will go. It makes things look sharper, but also enhances flaws. Stuff like noise and grain are pretty apparent and stuff on my display.

Randy_Watson
March 14th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Oh, yeah it's there on pic 2. OK, I didn't get a bum set. I can deal. I am sure I will be upgrading to the HD-DVD or BD eventually, anyway.

You might not notice it if your sharpness isn't up very high. I am one of those guys who completely ignore calibration advice and just does it to my own liking, so I got my sharpness up as far as it will go. It makes things look sharper, but also enhances flaws. Stuff like noise and grain are pretty apparent and stuff on my display.

That could be it, my sharpness is way down. I think I might not have noticed it the first time through as well, because I was doing other things while watching.

There is a report of some issues on disc 5 in the Atlantis Season 2 thread also, hopefully that is isolated, but who knows. Youd think they would have learned there lesson with the wrong disc 5 content on the last set.

Angela V
March 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Youd think they would have learned there lesson with the wrong disc 5 content on the last set.

What? What was it? I've watched season 1 and didn't notice anything wrong.

Randy_Watson
March 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
What? What was it? I've watched season 1 and didn't notice anything wrong.

Some of the sets had disc 1 content on the 5th disc, even though it was printed with disc 5 art. I think this was limited to Canadian pressings, but I am not sure.

SlytherinGal
March 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
woohoo!! a package from Amazon was waiting for me today when I got home and it was my S2 DVD set...:D yay!!! so...what are the problems people are having....so i can look out for them

Beckmen
March 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I got through all the content of the set on the same day that I watched Unending. Wow. How depressing.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
March 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I was watching the trailer for atlantis season 2 box set and it said it had never before seen footage what was up with that? what is it?

Angela V
March 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Some of the sets had disc 1 content on the 5th disc, even though it was printed with disc 5 art. I think this was limited to Canadian pressings, but I am not sure.

Oh okay. Then I have a fixed batch. My sister bought season 1 SGA for me at Christmas. Disc 5 has the episodes it's suppose to have.

mcpickles
April 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I was watching the trailer for atlantis season 2 box set and it said it had never before seen footage what was up with that? what is it?

I asked the same thing earlier, and never got an answer. Anybody know? I've watched all the episodes and special features and can't figure out what these scenes might be.

gateroom
April 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I asked the same thing earlier, and never got an answer. Anybody know? I've watched all the episodes and special features and can't figure out what these scenes might be.

The special features is what they are talking about.

morjana
August 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
SGA - Movie Web: Review of Season 2 DVDs:

From Movie Web:

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/release/18/116318/review2651.php

Stargate Atlantis: Season 2
DVD

- Recommendation - BUY IT:

Written By Evan "Mushy" Jacobs

THE GOOD

Each show plays like mini movie packing in as much action and story
as possible.

THE BAD

Navigating around all the extras was a little tricky.

THE FLICK

Stargate Atlantis: Season 2 opens with our faithful crew having
gotten past a huge Wraith attack. The crew now goes about trying to
find out more about their history, as well as finding people that can
aid them in their cause. Compromise seems to be all around because
Atlantis needs energy yet they also know that they need to find the
member of the crew that has gone off on their own. Mixed in with all
of this are well put together battle scenes, strongly written
characterizations and the feeling that the subject matter is very
much speaking to today's world.

Some of the stand out episodes in this collection are "Aurora," which
sees the crew of Atlantis discovering a very old crew inside an older
ship and are then brought face to face with their worst
nightmare. "Trinity" was an episode that seemed to speak to today's
oil problems when a new form of energy is found to power Atlantis.
However, nothing is ever this simple for our faithful crew and this
is never more apparent here. Lastly, "Allies" really struck me
because we got to see a different side of the Wraith as they ask to
join forces with Atlantis. The main questions are what are their
motives and is something like this even possible?

All in all, Stargate Atlantis: Season 2 is one DVD set that offers a
lot of bang for your proverbial dollar.

THE FEATURES

Commentary Track

The gracious folks behind this DVD set have kindly donated their
voices to commenting on every episode in this collection. I decided
to make things easy on myself and just listen to the first commentary
for the first episode titled, "The Siege - Part III." The creators
talk here about wanting to create "3 times" the excitement for the
Second Season. Also, they say that this episode would have had a
better title but they sadly couldn't think of anything better. After
this they discuss keeping the plot points organized over this three
part show, the various camera moves that were employed, and how they
tried to put across the arcs of their characters. The only problem
that I had with this track was that the audio needed to be turned
over half way up for me to hear things.

Photo and Production Design Galleries

Featurettes

This release is swimming in featurettes. Here is a general listing of
what they are on this release:

- Mission Directives: The Intruder and The Siege - Part III
- Road to Dream
- Profile on Paul McGillon

I watched the Mission Directive for The Siege - Part III and the Road
to Dream featurette. The Mission Directive was helpful because I
never had watched this show before I was given this DVD set to
review. It essentially walks us through this show, going beat by beat
as it takes us through the various pay offs. Then we get to see
some "behind the scenes" aspects of the production, informing us of
who the characters are and breaking down, essentially, what is going
on in the show. The Road to Dream featurette shows us how Stargate
Atlantis basically came into existence.

The Look

Widescreen - 1.78:1. Fox, as usual, has done an amazing job bringing
these shows to DVD. The look really sharp and clear and even better
than that, the visual effects look top notch. I never felt like I was
watching a show that was taking any shortcuts in a production value
sense. Add to this that each episode feels like a mini- war movie and
you have a set that seems to build upon itself, upping the ante as
the arc of the entire Second Season plays itself out.

The Sound

Dolby Digital. English - 5.1 Dolby Surround. French - Dolby Surround.
Close Captioned. Subtitled in English and Spanish. Like the picture,
the audio is of very high quality. Aside from the minor audio problem
that I mentioned with the commentary track, everything played really
well. The only real question I had as I was watching this show
is, "Why do actors when they work in military movies and on
spaceships, feel the need to talk in the lowest possible voices?" It
seems to me like it's in an actors playbook that they would do this,
but ultimately I find it annoying and distracting.

The Packaging

This aqua, gray, slipcase cover features the main cast with various
sci-fi accouterments surrounding them. The back maintains this motif
as it offers up a description of this show, a Special Features
listing and also points out where the various episodes are in regards
to each disc. Underneath this are system specs for your DVD player.
The five discs that contain the 20 episodes are each laid out with
individual artwork. They showcase different characters and important
scenes from each show. Those back covers offer up episode listings
and descriptions, as well as what Special Features are available on
each disc.

FINAL WORD

I normally am not a huge fan of these sorts of shows mainly because I
find them hard to follow. I will admit it, there is something about
TV shows set on my own planet that make it very easy for me to grasp.
Give me something like Hawaii Five-O or Boston Legal and I am all
over it. There is something about seeing the day to day jobs, set in
a world I know, that really grabs me. Now, Stargate Atlantis might
touch on issues that are relevant to my world (good television
usually does this and it's especially well done by shows that don't
take place in this world), but often times I find that the characters
and situations are too "out there" for my tastes. Overall, I liked
Stargate Atlantis but there was also something about it that made me
pull back from fully embracing it here.

Sci-Fi fans will be ecstatic to own Stargate Atlantis: Season 2 on
DVD. It is packed with bonus features and it has stellar production
values for a sci-fi television show.

Redhooks
October 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread so I am putting this info in this one.
Circuit City has SGA Seasons 1 & 2 DVD sets on sale for $19.99 from Oct. 7 to 13 according to the weekly ad flyer I got today. If anyone was waiting for a good deal on these DVDs, it looks like this maybe the best opportunity.