X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate downloads (sky)

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/inde...nNewsID=606395

Sky is rebranding its broadband download service Sky by Broadband as Sky Anytime on PC and adding new content including the third season of Lost.

The satellite giant is beginning to try to recoup some of its huge investment in Lost by offering fans the chance to download episodes of the latest series for £2.50 a time.

Sky Anytime on PC will also provide legal downloads for other Sky One series including Weeds, Long Way Round, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, which will cost £1.50 per episode.

*more at link above*

Originally posted by prion View Post
    http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/inde...nNewsID=606395

Sky is rebranding its broadband download service Sky by Broadband as Sky Anytime on PC and adding new content including the third season of Lost.

The satellite giant is beginning to try to recoup some of its huge investment in Lost by offering fans the chance to download episodes of the latest series for £2.50 a time.

Sky Anytime on PC will also provide legal downloads for other Sky One series including Weeds, Long Way Round, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, which will cost £1.50 per episode.

*more at link above*
    Can someone please tell me the prices in US Dollars ($), I don't understand British currency and the amount it is in $.
    sigpic

Comment

The 1,50 pounds are circa 2,86 US $ and the 2,50 are circa 4,76 dollars

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
        Can someone please tell me the prices in US Dollars ($), I don't understand British currency and the amount it is in $.
        itunes is cheaper.

Go here to convert currency: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency?u

US1.91 equals one brit pound, at least, right now

Comment

ah, the advantages of buying Stargate off iTunes
          sigpic

Comment

My brother who has been living in the US recently said that while the prices look cheaper in America, but he in fact got paid half as much than he would here, e.g. he got paid something like £6 per hour over here but got paid $6 per hour in America so it isn't exactly cheaper on iTunes than it is through Sky when you look at how much people get paid in each country. Also I bet you can't download off Sky the same way we can't off iTunes because you need an American credit card.

Comment

Wait...does this mean that "Quest Part 2" will be online when it aires in England in January?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Wait...does this mean that "Quest Part 2" will be online when it aires in England in January?
                I would imagine only for British users- just like iTunes is only for Americans.
                I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Which bites both ways.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cubby14 View Post
                    My brother who has been living in the US recently said that while the prices look cheaper in America, but he in fact got paid half as much than he would here, e.g. he got paid something like £6 per hour over here but got paid $6 per hour in America so it isn't exactly cheaper on iTunes than it is through Sky when you look at how much people get paid in each country. Also I bet you can't download off Sky the same way we can't off iTunes because you need an American credit card.
                    Actually it is cheaper on Itunes. Itunes offer episodes at just $2, but the UK being £1.50 actually works out as $2.90. For the prices to be even, Sky would need to sell their episodes at just £1 to match with Itunes.

Just because your brother would be left with $5 rather than £4.50 in no way makes Itunes cheaper. You name it, the UK pays more for it. Now more than ever considering £1 is very close to $2. For what Sky wants for a single episode, you could buy one from Itunes and still have near half the money required for a second. So compared to Itunes, Sky are charging what Itunes would want for 1 and half episodes

This gets worse with their "Buy To Keep" option with episodes being £2.50 ($4.85) so you could buy two Itunes episodes for that, plus be nearly half way done to affording a third.

--

This isn't just a UK thing. I did some checking and you must also be a Sky customer. Sky's system for this has been found to be flawed in the past, with people using Windows Media Player to access their movies freely without any restrictions. I wouldn't be surprised if their Buy To Keep episodes will be just as vunerable.

Since the UK has no reason not to host their episodes before Itunes, I wouldn't be surprised if Quest II is online during January. Unlike Itunes, it's not going to be accessable to everyone in the country. Only their customers will be able to buy it, so people in the US would be stopped from getting it which would allow the all so important US ratings to go uneffected (unless someone hacks it or rips it from TV)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X