PDA

View Full Version : Who do you ship for?

David
May 2nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Let's have a gander at the numbers! Who do you ship for? You can put more than one answer in this poll. :)

Geekyred
May 2nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
I'd also like to go with the Jack/Thor, Jack/Me and Picard/Crusher option - oh wait that was UST from other show wasn't it. ;) After a while it all seems the same.:)

spg_1983
May 2nd, 2004, 07:45 PM
see im all for non mainstream ship such as
heimdall/daniel
baal/sam
yu/teal'c (come on he's had like three opportunities now to kill him and he hasnt)
travel/jack

ShadowMaat
May 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Sam/Pete, natch. Also Jack/Sara. Maybe a bit of Sam/Luke. ;) Then lotsa fluffy ones, like Jack/Thor or Jack/Baal (I blame MartoufMarty's Tainted Love vid on that one). Daniel/Sha're. Teal'c and anyone he wants. hehe. And if Geekyred can have "Jack/Me" then I want Jonas/Me. :p

Sparki101
May 2nd, 2004, 07:59 PM
I'm an ex-shipper, if there is such a thing. I do, however like Jack/Sara and Daniel/Sha're

epiphany
May 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
You forgot to include Daniel/Sam on that poll. :) There are alot of people who ship Sam and Daniel, the yahoo group SamDanielRebellion alone has a few hundred of members. :)

LtLisa
May 2nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
I'm a die hard Sam and Jack shipper...and Daniel's all mine :D

daxterdd
May 2nd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Let's have a gander at the numbers! Who do you ship for? You can put more than one answer in this poll. :)

Primarily I like Jack/Sam and Daniel/Janet.

But I'm also very fond of Sam/Pete and Daniel/Sha're.

And I also enjoy slash when its well written for Jack/Daniel, Daniel/Paul, and Jack/Maybourne.

priornavalperson
May 2nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
I ship for Daniel/Sarah, with a little Osiris thrown in.

Shipperahoy
May 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
You would never guess from my member name but I tend to be a Jack/Sam shipper. Although I like the more subtle ship and don't really want them "together" until the end of the series. I miss my team. Sigh.

(Trying valiantly to resist making sarcastic comments because Shadow is a bad influence on me. She's like a black hole of sarcasm, she just sucks in everyone in the general vicinity :D But I admire that in a person. It's like a highly underrated superpower. You go girl. ;) )

tara3583
May 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
For me it has to be Sam and Jack, Daniel and Janet and i love the idea of Thor and Hemdiel(not sure about spelling) :)

SallyK
May 2nd, 2004, 11:58 PM
Primarily Jack/Daniel, certainly the most convincing relationship on the show as far as I am concerned.

On the other hand, I also enjoy Jack/Janet and can see Sam/Daniel if it is written well. But since Pete came along I really enjoy Sam/Pete as well, it is great to see her with someone who is good for her, and makes her happy.

On the fun side, well, Jack and Thor make a lovely couple and many people on Our Stargate have been trying to convince us of the joys of Daniel/Rock, though I tend to go for Daniel/Coffee myself. :D

SallyK

thelittlesis
May 3rd, 2004, 02:20 AM
Daniel/Janet....so cute! :)

:D

Sis

Crazedwraith
May 3rd, 2004, 02:37 AM
I don't ship.
The leanings towards obvious J/S ships in recent eps is scaring me. I prefer the Full Circle/ Birthright approach. :D

Sam_o_Neill
May 3rd, 2004, 04:02 AM
I'm a die hard Sam/Jack shipper so I voted for them, but I would of voted for Dan/Janet too but I didn't read David's post until after I pressed vote..:o

Sam x

Skydiver
May 3rd, 2004, 04:39 AM
you left out sam/teal'c....for us 6 people that like to ship them :)

on the show, no more than friends, but in fic....they're great fun to play with

Nurgle
May 3rd, 2004, 05:00 AM
O'Neill/Thor all the way....

Teal'c
May 3rd, 2004, 05:09 AM
Daniel/Janet, Sam/Pete, Sam/Jonas, Jack/Baal (That Tainted Love vid :P), Sam/Thor (Carebears countdown! :P) and Sam/Jack (Because it's really easy to vid it :P)

aAnubiSs
May 3rd, 2004, 07:52 AM
I don't really ship for anyone. Aslong as Jack&Sam DOESN'T end up together before the series end I'm fine.

Gee, forgetting DOESN'T can sure change stuff :)

Anubis
May 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
All in all, I guess everyone has their own special kind of releationship with each other on the show, some more serious than others. I think Jack/Sam has some properties to work on further in the upcoming seaosn eight but with Pete in the way . . . who knows!

There could be a better friendship with Jack/Daniel, espically in the Lost City. Jack had a moment with them all but Daniel's wasn't so amazing. Just 'We'll find a way to reverse the effects, once we have what we need'

Bacardi
May 3rd, 2004, 08:02 AM
dunno why but i always sensed a kinda chemistry between teal'c and jonas.. mayb they shud....no wait...nevermind... Jack/Sam all the way!

jenniferhailey
May 3rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Sam/Jack
Teal'C/Janet - weird, I know
Hailey/Elliott - even tho he's dead
Zenna/Jonas
Tyler/Me - I love Dion Johnstone!

:D :D

Baal
May 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Jack and Sam forever! Boy, do I hate Pete! I want him to get taken over by an ashrak.

Capt. Rivet
May 3rd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Just Sam/Jack. I don't normally take an interest in ship on TV shows... but they go so well together it's kinda hard to ignore I guess.

MegTDJ
May 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM
Who do I ship for? Daniel/Janet. Obsessively. ;)

Jadestar9
May 3rd, 2004, 01:34 PM
I like to ship for Jack and Sam on the show. However, when it comes to fanfic I am for Daniel and Sam all the way. :D

auralan
May 3rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
I really enjoy the chemistry between Sam and Jack, but my favorite at the moment is Teal'c and Ishta. It usually takes me more than one episode before a pairing really grows on me, but this one appealed right away -- probably because the relationship was woven into a larger story quite effectively and the chemistry was there. I really enjoyed Ishta on her own as well and hope they bring her back for more episodes even if the relationship with Teal'c doesn't continue. She'd make a good addition to the recurring cast.

shelsfc
May 3rd, 2004, 02:02 PM
I voted for Sam & Jack, Daniel & Janet, Daniel & Sarah and Teal'c & Ishta. Sam & Jack are just meant to be, it's as simple as that!! ;)
I'm more a Daniel/Janet shipper than a Daniel/Sarah one, but you know...
Teal'c & Ishta are a really great couple, I hope she comes back soon!

Dani347
May 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
I'm a Daniel/Janet and Sam/Pete shipper, but I'm fine and prefer for all ship to stay off the show. I have an imagination. I can supply the details, tptb. Except I'd want Pete to show up just one more time (integrated into an actual storyline better than Chimera) just to show that he's still there, and get used to it! As long as Sam isn't still making goo goo eyes at Jack. Then, Pete deserves better.

ShadowMaat
May 3rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Then, Pete deserves better.

I would be more than happy to... console him in his time of need. :D

I'm with you, though, I'm quite happy to keep ship strictly in my head.

Webbgirl
May 3rd, 2004, 04:21 PM
All in fic...
Jack/Daniel, Jack/Paul, Jack/Thor, Daniel/Paul, Sam/Daniel (if it's reeeaaaly well written)

On the show...
Sam/Pete, Sam/Luke (blame Shadow)

ShadowMaat
May 3rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Sam/Luke (blame Shadow)

Muahahaha. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/scorchio/sevil.gif

At least with Luke around you know no one would ever hurt Sam again... and live to tell about it. ;)

For it is I, Luke Quixote, the Lord of La Munchies...

Token
May 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Jack and Sam. It's chemistry, heat and passion!! :D

waterfall
May 3rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
I think my sig says it all,what do you think??? :D

Shipperahoy
May 3rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
No I really don't know what you're trying to say. Who exactly do you ship for?

amberlina
May 3rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
I'm a total Jack/Sam shipper. Since i'm a hopeless romantic the only thing that keeps me going is knowing they'll be together one day (probably in fandom, but who cares they'll be together. hehe)

bcmilco
May 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
I voted for Sam/Jack :D

BTW I love your sig amberlina!! :D

waterfall
May 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
To Shipperahoy:
Sam and Jack !!!!!

Webbgirl
May 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
Muahahaha. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/scorchio/sevil.gif

For it is I, Luke Quixote, the Lord of La Munchies...

That one should have come with a monitor warning! :p

GateGipsy
May 4th, 2004, 07:21 AM
No Daniel/Sha're option? There's Daniel and Janet, and since she is

Season 7 Heroes spoiler

dead why not Daniel and Sha're? I would also have voted for Jack and Sara too if that had been an option, just because I'm an old fashioned kind of sucker, and since they did once love each other enough to get married, and the death of their son drove them apart, I'd quite like them to have another chance.

Major Tyler
May 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Sam/Pete, natch. Also Jack/Sara. Maybe a bit of Sam/Luke. ;)
Shadow,
I see you mention "Luke" a lot and i was just wondering...Who is Luke?

ShadowMaat
May 4th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Shadow,
I see you mention "Luke" a lot and i was just wondering...Who is Luke?

:D In the ep 48 Hours, when Sam and McKay are getting lunch, McKay mouths off to the food server about the "lemon" in the lemon chicken. That was Luke. I loved the dirty look he gave Mckay and thus... a legend was born. ;) I've written a couple of fics about him and his infatuation with Sam... and his epic battle against the dark forces of Daniel. (muahaha) If you're curious, the fics are in the Gateworld fic archives. Food Server Diaries (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/6/foodserver.html) and then the recently-completed sequel, FSD- Second Course (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/17/foodserver.html).

I just love him to pieces. ;)

brihana25
May 4th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Well, I voted for Teal'c/Ishta and Sam/Pete, but my other two ships have to go in other? :confused:

Jack/Sara and Daniel/Sha're

Seems a little strange that they're not even listed, since they're both um... canon...

sgeureka
May 4th, 2004, 09:30 AM
I am more of a non-shipper. At least it literally takes me several seasons of a TV show to ship for anyone.

I started with a little bit of shipping for S&J at the end of S3, but now I am also slowly beginning to like the idea of Daniel/Jack.

And I really *love* the idea of Sam&Luke. :rolleyes:

Gilder
May 4th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I'm still fixated on giving George (Hammond) a love life!

Gilder

Major Tyler
May 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks a lot Shadow, I was afraid I missed something. I haven't seen 48 Hours in ages and I always miss it when it reruns. I'll have to be more diligent so I can meet Luke for myself.

marythebadger
May 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Jack and Sara forever.... after all, her picture hangs on his livinig room wall... but for cryin' out loud, there's no place to vote for it...

Twisted Angel (Sam_rules)
May 5th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Sam and Jack all the way. They are perfect together :).
I also voted for Daniel and Janet.

~Tracey~

Judy1393
May 5th, 2004, 06:45 AM
I voted no ship. But if I had to accept any it would be Jack/Sara or Daniel/Sha'ra. I want to watch STARGATE-SG1 not the lovegate. Save the shippy stuff for fanfiction, it's where it belongs.

SallyK
May 5th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Jack and Sara forever.... after all, her picture hangs on his livinig room wall... but for cryin' out loud, there's no place to vote for it...

I realised I had competely forgotten this one. Definitely Jack/Sara. It is the only m/f pairing for Jack that I find convincing in the show. I may see sparks between him and Janet, but he and Sara have a history and he obviously still cares about her. It also has the advantage, like Sam/Pete, of not affecting the team - much as I think Sam and Daniel would be cute together, it would have to affect the way the team operated.

SallyK

iwannabeLexa
May 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I also would like to vote for Jack/Sara... I just watched Cold Lazarus this morning during my morning walk on the treadmill and they just looked sooo sweet together! I was a Jack/Sam shipper for a while, but I kind of lost interest in it.. although I would like to see at least one.. encounter.. before the show ends! I am a hopeless romantic so a definite Daniel/Sha're (if it can't be me) Sam/Martouf or Orlin perhaps? Remember him from Ascension? very adorable! Teal'c/Janet.. hmm THAT could be interesting!

Lexa

Anthro Girl
May 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM
I suspect my interpretation of the verb "to ship" is much less involved than others. I didn't vote for any and I don't pine for any combination (except for maybe Kinsey and Tok'ra Leather Mama...j/k!!). I'd like to see Carter go fishing ...with the whole team, even...heck, invite Walter! However, if the series ends with Daniel living off-world (again), Hammond retired in Tahiti, Carter married to an alien, Teal'c learning how to do the Hustle and O'Neill getting a dog, I'd be just fine with that too. It will have been a fun ride. On second thought, I think everybody should get a dog. :D

morjana
May 9th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Definitely a Jack/Sam Shipper.

However, I could also see a Prometheus/Enterprise love match on the distant horizon...

Morjana

May 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM
'course Jack & Sam....they look so good together!!! ;)

Bagpuss
May 10th, 2004, 02:16 AM
I'd prefer the Friendships within the team, onscreen ,to stay platonic really, as,for me, Romance is better left off- camera on Sci-Fi shows.I'd prefer stronger focus on adventure/discovery Team storylines in Season 8.

Having stated that opinion, I have no problem with any other Fans adoring or despising "Shippiness", in any form they choose!

In Fan-Fiction,I have a soft spot for Sam/Teal'c and Sam/Luke. :D

As for this poll,I voted for "Other Ship", as, if I were to be forced to choose any pairings on the Show itself, I could live with Sam/Agent Barrett! ;)

ETA : Forgot Sam/McKay in the original post ! :) (As in 48 hrs /Redemption 1&2)

MartoufMarty
May 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM
well, i ship for Daniel/Sam, Sam/Teal'c, Jack/Janet, Daniel/Sarah (Osiris), Jack/Ba'al (diss it and die), Sam/Luke, Sam/McKay, Jack/Jonas, Jonas/Nurrti, Elliot/Hailey (hey, there was something there!), Sam/Martouf, Sam/Pete hmm... there was another... ahh! My Stargate senses are slowly dying... ooh, I remember: Legolas/Jonas (hey... Legolas is an elf you know. They live a VERY long time)

*cough*
http://martoufmarty.topcities.com/
have vids for about all those pairings, and even some more
*cough*

Oh what a way to spend my lunch...

MartoufMarty
May 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Sam/Pete, natch. Also Jack/Sara. Maybe a bit of Sam/Luke. ;) Then lotsa fluffy ones, like Jack/Thor or Jack/Baal (I blame MartoufMarty's Tainted Love vid on that one). Daniel/Sha're. Teal'c and anyone he wants. hehe. And if Geekyred can have "Jack/Me" then I want Jonas/Me. :p

ha! (everyone watch the Jack/Ba'al vid...)

remember that crappy little Jonas/You (as in ShadowMaat you) vid i made? it was stupid, yes, but hey... lol.

thor39
May 10th, 2004, 11:35 AM
What about Jack Anise/Freya? ;)

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 11:54 AM
remember that crappy little Jonas/You (as in ShadowMaat you) vid i made? it was stupid, yes, but hey... lol.

I think it's best if everyone forgets about THAT vid. :P If I'd known what you were planiing... *shakes head* ;)

Jack/Laira. :P

Sir Ruff
May 10th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Jack/Laira. :P

Who is Laira ? Can't remember.

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Who is Laira ? Can't remember.

The one Jack got pregnant in 100 Days. But of course, all it REALLY was was a bad case of indigestion. ;)

Bagpuss
May 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM
The one Jack got pregnant in 100 Days. But of course, all it REALLY was was a bad case of indigestion. ;)

Or was it just Food Poisoning? ;)

DanielFreak
May 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Sam and Jack 4ever.

Spaceminx
May 10th, 2004, 01:13 PM
:D In the ep 48 Hours, when Sam and McKay are getting lunch, McKay mouths off to the food server about the "lemon" in the lemon chicken. That was Luke. I loved the dirty look he gave Mckay and thus... a legend was born. ;) I've written a couple of fics about him and his infatuation with Sam... and his epic battle against the dark forces of Daniel. (muahaha) If you're curious, the fics are in the Gateworld fic archives. Food Server Diaries (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/6/foodserver.html) and then the recently-completed sequel, FSD- Second Course (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/17/foodserver.html).

I just love him to pieces. ;)

I wondered what all this Luke business was about.

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Or was it just Food Poisoning? ;)

LOL! No comment. ;)

Although I will say that if it was, it was accidental. Luke has every reason in the world to support Jack and Laira as a couple. It means no Jack/Sam ship, leaving the path clear for LUKE. :D

Spaceminx
May 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Sam/Janet :p

But failing that, either Sam/Jack or Sam/Agent Barrett.

Bagpuss
May 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM
LOL! No comment. ;)

Although I will say that if it was, it was accidental. Luke has every reason in the world to support Jack and Laira as a couple. It means no Jack/Sam ship, leaving the path clear for LUKE. :D

True! :D
Actually I wasn't blaming dear Luke for Laira's dietary (ahem!) disruptions. I was thinking Dastardly Dan! ;)

MAJKawalsky
May 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I always thought the Anysse/Freya character had such possibilities. She and Jack and Daniel could have "double dated". After all, the snake liked Daniel.

Maj. Kawalsky

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 06:40 PM
So what's the "I like fandom unity" thing supposed to mean, anyway? I voted for it 'cause I assumed it meant being against dividing folks up into factions and pitting them against each other, but I'm not sure what that has to do with ship... other than ship being one of the biggest dividing factors in ANY fandom. Can't you like some ships but still want unity? Are there ship fans out there who dont want unity?? No, don't answer that... there always a few of That Kind out there. :P Fortunately the rational ones outnumber them. :)

MAJKawalsky
May 10th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Oooohhh! I almost forgot...I 'ship for "young" Jack and Cassie. :p

Maj. Kawalsky

Gategrrl
May 13th, 2004, 10:21 PM

I'm partial to Stargate/Chevron Guy myself. I feel there's *something* there that's been neglected O these many years. The way he moves that iris open and shut, and the way the Stargate responds immediately to him...*sigh*

Then there's Siler/Wrench Ship. The man and his tool have got a thing going there.

And, of course, how could anyone ignore Hammond/Janet ship -- and so tragic it is. Highlight text(spoiler): She and he both gone from the SGC. End spoiler.

nugglebugget
May 14th, 2004, 06:23 AM
LOL! No comment. ;)

It was only accidental in that the intended victim was "Jack".Poor "Luke" forgot that,ever since that embarrassing,life-threatening incident on "Argos",he always brings along his own pre-wrapped snacks.That & Jack is so considerate he thought he'd offer the commisary/earth delicacy to "Laira" as a "treaty negotiation gift"[oh ok,he was too cheap to buy her dinner].:p

nugglebugget
May 14th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Oooohhh! I almost forgot...I 'ship for "young" Jack and Cassie. :p

Maj. Kawalsky
But since it's actually "old" Jack in that body,he's probably too busy hitting on his high school teachers;) !

jex_piperUK
May 14th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Talk about missing out one crucial ship. Yeah, yeah I know it is never gonna happen, but there are Daniel/Sam shippers out there yannow! The writers toyed with it in season 1, before they made the fatal mistake of going with Jack/Sam. Ah, season 1 they were the days...

Carterslave
March 30th, 2005, 12:49 AM
What? No love for Sam/Janet? For inherent chemistry alone, they take the prize. Besides, they've got that great butch/femme dynamic working *and* they really look & behave like they ought to be a couple. Well, we'll always have the slashfics ...
Of the canonical pairings, I've got to go w. Daniel/Janet. It's sweet and sufficiently understated that the anti-shippers can pretend it's not there & everyone can enjoy it w/o it getting all up in our business. And they're so cute together.
Sam/Pete should not EVEN be an option. {Shudder!} Let's forget that ship ever sailed.

Qasim
March 30th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Jack/Sam, Sam/Thor, Daniel/Sarah, Teal'c/Ishta, Sheppard/Chaya.

Cymro
March 30th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Jack and Laira, because 100 days was a great episode, she was good enough for jack to be wiling to forget earth, and I'm fairly certain Jack knocked her up so it would be the honourable thing to do...

In hindsight I think 100 days could have been a great way to explain Jack's absence in season 9, like if it were a two parter beginning as the last episode of season 8 and in the first of season 9, where we see him finally settle down on Edora, and when they manage to open the gate, he decides to stay.

Of course, I think I'd like to see Daniel and Sarah, Sam and Pete, and Teal'c and that chick who used to live next door to him.

Purpleyin
March 30th, 2005, 04:17 AM
After answering that I can see I ship minority ships...
I went for:

Sam/Martouf (aw!)
Daniel/Sarah (interesting one)
Teal'c/Shau'nac (short lived...)
Teal'c/Ishta (might even have a future!)
Sam/Narim (I live in hope Narim lives..)
Sam/Pete (for angst)
Other Ship

Of course there were other ships I sometimes go for and none that I was anti. Everyone has their preferneces whether its ship or not. Mostly i like ship for fanfic.

I also quite like AU Carter/ AU Daniel, Ba'al/Sam too, oh Jonas/Nurrti, and almsot forgot Jack/Anise/Freya.
And crossover ships of McKay/Carter and possibly Daniel/Weir (even Torri mentioned it in an interview!)

And then there's the 'humourous' ships. Ba'al/Wall, Ba'al/mirror, Ba'al/everyone, Ba'al/doom...the list goes on and on and on

Is there going to be an Atlantis poll for this? Because there are some crazy ships around in SGa, Kavanagh with anyone, Wraith/Human etc. Would be fun to see what people'd pick for that poll but I guess there might be too many ships to list for that one :rolleyes:

Was also confused by the fandom unity. I didn't vote because of that. I guessed it was related to the idea of ship factions but I ship for alot of ships and I'd hope that shipping doesn't automatically equate to ship wars in peoples eyes. :S

Any having read the thread through i'm off to watch Marty's Jack/ba'al vid... :D

Cymro
March 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I liked the Sheperd/Ascended episode, mainly cause I like the idea that some characters are more special then other humans, that they were MEANT to do something big and weren't just products of random luck.

Qasim
March 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Sam/Jack is the runaway leader with 56.25%

ApophisOfTheStargateRealm
March 30th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Jack/Sam seem to me, the perfect combination

yasureubetcha
April 8th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Hmm...I liked Sam/Martouf and Sam/Pete; fortunately not both at once. Also my pet ships, Fifth/Sam and Fifth/Replicarter, for the unactualized potential, and the lovely emotional eps. it caused. For Daniel, Sha're. Always. Though you never know what could've been between him and Oma...:D

Wandering Tamer
April 8th, 2005, 10:49 PM
don't you follow Sam/Ba'al as well? i know i do

Cory Holmes
April 8th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I voted for "other ship" since my favourite pairing of all Stargate shows is Sam/McKay.

I felt those two had the best chemistry and sparks of any pairing. Of course, those sparks were more like lightning bolts, but...

Darth Buddha
April 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Stargate is one of those shows that is poorly served by 'shippy plots. Any of the popular relationships undermines the premise of the show... and yet folks get themselves all a flutter.

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 12:06 AM
hehe... the only two i REALLY ship for would be baal/sam and sam/fifth... :)

but obviously i have way too much fun with lots of goofy ships as well :p ;)

Darth Buddha
April 9th, 2005, 12:24 AM
hehe... the only two i REALLY ship for would be baal/sam and sam/fifth... :)

but obviously i have way too much fun with lots of goofy ships as well :p ;)
Excellent examples.

How do you get those relationships to actually happen without ruining the show? I'd be curious to hear the scenarios you enjoy fantasizing about to bring these to "fruition".

Taking it to the next step, why do relationships that would "screw the pooch" in terms of entertainment float you boat? I enjoy the show to a certain degree, which means I don't want to see these things happen, and I find them actually distasteful as ideas. For example, I like Scooby Doo from my youth, but a Scooby Doo/Stargate crossover would be awful, so I don't waste time thinking about it.

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM
*shudders at very THOUGHT of scooby doo in any way mixing with stargate* :o :o

who ever said i want my ships to actually be relationships on the show?? i mean, it'd be lots of fun if they did, but honestly, i DON'T see it happening... but that's not why i ship... for SG1, i ship usually (well entirely actually) for characters that i saw a connection between in some way on the show which i think deserves some fun attention and some fanfics SINCE i doubt it'll ever happen on the show!!!

honestly, i think non-shippers take our shipping more seriously than we do... :rolleyes: :p

greytop
April 9th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I voted for I don't Ship. I let the relationships come what may.

Darth Buddha
April 9th, 2005, 01:59 AM
*shudders at very THOUGHT of scooby doo in any way mixing with stargate* :o :o
To me, that's about on par with a Baal/Sam or other clearly non-sequitur relationship.

who ever said i want my ships to actually be relationships on the show??
Then to me, the question is, why bother?

i mean, it'd be lots of fun if they did, but honestly, i DON'T see it happening... but that's not why i ship... for SG1, i ship usually (well entirely actually) for characters that i saw a connection between in some way on the show which i think deserves some fun attention and some fanfics SINCE i doubt it'll ever happen on the show!!!
No, that's not my point. Not the 'ships that you DOUBT will happen, but the ones you KNOW won't happen. A relationship that COULD happen makes some sense to me. Jack/Janet 'shippers make some measure of sense. She's not in his direct line of command, etc. The relationship COULD happen and yet not invalidate the show or the show's premise.

It's the ones that invalidate the show that get me.

honestly, i think non-shippers take our shipping more seriously than we do... :rolleyes: :p
Actually, I didn't pay much attention, but the phenomenal fanboy and fangirl flames that erupt convinced me otherwise. Silly is one thing, but when folks start getting angry about it, oh my, then there's a bit more to the phenomenon than THAT now, isn't there?

sueKay
April 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
My ships...

Sam/Jack
Daniel/Sarah
Jack/Laira (I happen to be one of the few S/J shippers that like that ep)
Jack/Janet
Jack/Daniel

And I invented this ship for one of my fics - Walter Davis/ Siobhan O'Neill...

yup...I paired up Chevron Guy with Jack's sister (and spotted Walter's wedding ring in the very next eppy I watched)oops!

greytop
April 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM
And I invented this ship for one of my fics - Walter Davis/ Siobhan O'Neill...

yup...I paired up Chevron Guy with Jack's sister (and spotted Walter's wedding ring in the very next eppy I watched)oops! :confused: You mean Jack has a sister? :confused: :p

twiggy
April 9th, 2005, 08:22 AM
i'm all for J&S and Daniel/Janet :)

Cymro
April 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I'm all for Jack/Hammond

melpomene
April 9th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I also like Daniel/Janet. So sad.

Kalliope
April 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Vala / Daniel :)

sueKay
April 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Greytop - I invented Jack's sister (and three brothers) for a fic...but it'd be funny if they did exist! (esp' if Jack was the baby of the family!)

twiggy
April 9th, 2005, 08:57 AM
LOL! jack the baby of his family. that would be interesting

AncientKnowledge
April 9th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I'd have to say Jack/Sam....Some times I'll go for Sam/Daniel......:)

AncientKnowledge
April 9th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Greytop - I invented Jack's sister (and three brothers) for a fic...but it'd be funny if they did exist! (esp' if Jack was the baby of the family!)

Yeah! I have a Ship/FF about Jack's sister......(LOL) ;)

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 09:45 AM
To me, that's about on par with a Baal/Sam or other clearly non-sequitur relationship.

No, that's not my point. Not the 'ships that you DOUBT will happen, but the ones you KNOW won't happen. A relationship that COULD happen makes some sense to me. Jack/Janet 'shippers make some measure of sense. She's not in his direct line of command, etc. The relationship COULD happen and yet not invalidate the show or the show's premise.

Actually, I didn't pay much attention, but the phenomenal fanboy and fangirl flames that erupt convinced me otherwise. Silly is one thing, but when folks start getting angry about it, oh my, then there's a bit more to the phenomenon than THAT now, isn't there?

ok, quite frankly, when it comes to explaining shipping, methinks it's simple: if i have to explain it to you, you won't understand.

:rolleyes: :D

fair_nymph
April 9th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I must say I've been becoming quite a Jack/Sam shipper. I also enjoy Sam/Narim and Sam/Martouf shipping. I would never want these ships to overcome the Jack/Sam ship but they are fun little tangents in my mind. I think I just like seeing men swoon over Sam. ;)

I'm totally not seeing how Janet has ship with anyone (although she should, as she's pretty damn attractive). Maybe I haven't gotten to it yet? Is it after season 4, or am I just blind/unobservant/unimaginative?

I thought of another ship...Daniel/evil princess from season 1?

fair_nymph
April 9th, 2005, 09:59 AM
OH, and my favourite ship of all time? Weir/Shep, of course! I think they go so superbly together.

CKO
April 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
jack/sam
dan/sarah
dan/jan
teal'c/ishta
other ships: yes... SAM/BA'AL is one! of many that i ship for, but then that list could go on and on and on!
shep/teyla
weir/mckay
mckay/sam

twiggy
April 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I thought of another ship...Daniel/evil princess from season 1?
lol, now that would've been interesting. whatever happened to her?

ToasterOnFire
April 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Ah, but the other side of that coin is "why not?" People form ships between two characters on a show because they see a connection between them. Most ships could become canon on the show, such as most of the Atlantis ships, while some of the other ships, such as Ba'al/Sam, have little to no chance to be shown on TV. It's not the lack of "canon-potential" that draws shippers to the latter ship, it's the connection between the two characters.

Believe it or not, there are shippers in all different Stargate ships that fully support their pairing yet are completely against making the ship canon. I'm sure that there are different reasons for that conviction, but the main one seems to be that they are unhappy with how TPTB portrayed the Sam/Jack ship on SG1. Ultimately, they feel that it's better to have no canon ship at all than a poorly done canon ship.

I can't speak for all Ba'al/Sam shippers, obviously, but I don't think they believe that the ship is going to become canon. More importantly, I don't think any of them care. Perhaps they are happy keeping the ship as speculation/fanfic with the knowledge that TPTB can never screw up the ship by making it canon, since doing so would "invalidate" the show. Because of that the Ba'al/Sam ship seems much more lighthearted than many other ships here and I find that a refreshing change from the more serious ships.

My, that flamee history does come up quite often, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Ah, but the other side of that coin is "why not?" People form ships between two characters on a show because they see a connection between them. Most ships could become canon on the show, such as most of the Atlantis ships, while some of the other ships, such as Ba'al/Sam, have little to no chance to be shown on TV. It's not the lack of "canon-potential" that draws shippers to the latter ship, it's the connection between the two characters.

yup :D

Believe it or not, there are shippers in all different Stargate ships that fully support their pairing yet are completely against making the ship canon. I'm sure that there are different reasons for that conviction, but the main one seems to be that they are unhappy with how TPTB portrayed the Sam/Jack ship on SG1. Ultimately, they feel that it's better to have no canon ship at all than a poorly done canon ship.

yeah, i've actually seen an amazing number of these kind of shippers! and they're just as great as any other! i know I PERSONLLY would rather have NO ship than a badly-done ship!

my thought has always been that i REALLY (honestly) don't care what ship they actually PUT on the show, if any at all... but if they do it, it had BETTER be handled well! now obviously my idea of handled well is probably very different from some or most others, but basically i just want no cheese and a relationship based on two characters genuinely caring about each other on SOME level beyond physical attraction... :)

for fun ships ANYTHING goes!!! and same for fanfic and fandom :p but for the actual show, i want it done well or not at all :)

I can't speak for all Ba'al/Sam shippers, obviously, but I don't think they believe that the ship is going to become canon. More importantly, I don't think any of them care. Perhaps they are happy keeping the ship as speculation/fanfic with the knowledge that TPTB can never screw up the ship by making it canon, since doing so would "invalidate" the show. Because of that the Ba'al/Sam ship seems much more lighthearted than many other ships here and I find that a refreshing change from the more serious ships.

yay!!! thanks :)

and i think you pinned us to a tee :p ;) we don't think anything is gonna actually come of the relationship, no... we can hope for more flirting, as cliff simon said he was flirting with her before :p but that's about all :p we are PERFECTLY content to create lots of stories in our own little world and speculate and over-analyze to our heart's desire :p :D

gatebee
April 9th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I am simply a Sam and Jack shipper. I still have my hopes high that in time TPTB will give us our long awaited RL kiss and all the rest that comes with a dynamic chemistry that Sam and Jack have showed through the years

Osiris-RA
April 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I'm what you might call a shadow shipper - I ship either totall unbelievable of casual.
Sam/Ba'al
Sam/Thor
Sam/Fifth
Sam/Daniel (shut up :p)
Daniel/Scully (what??)
NEW: Sam/Mulder (:p)

Hehe

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'm what you might call a shadow shipper - I ship either totall unbelievable of casual.
Sam/Ba'al
Sam/Thor
Sam/Fifth
Sam/Daniel (shut up :p)
Daniel/Scully (what??)
NEW: Sam/Mulder (:p)

Hehe

LOL!!!

B'ully!!!!! ;) :p

Tucker Case
April 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I can't speak for all Ba'al/Sam shippers, obviously, but I don't think they believe that the ship is going to become canon.

Back in the day - around, say, 1997-98 - unsuspecting Buffy/Spike shippers were thinking the exact same thing.

Perhaps they are happy keeping the ship as speculation/fanfic with the knowledge that TPTB can never screw up the ship by making it canon, since doing so would "invalidate" the show. Because of that the Ba'al/Sam ship seems much more lighthearted than many other ships here and I find that a refreshing change from the more serious ships.

That's what we liked about Buffy/Spike, too. They were impossible, they'd turn the show on itself and thus they made for a kooky, lighthearted escape from the Buffy/Angel Angst-O-Rama.

Boy, were we in for it. They not only took our ship of fools and sailed it, they made it so ponderously serious the Buffy/Angel angst-fest looked like sweet sixteen kitten's play in comparison.

Not that I don't think you're absolutely right and completely safe...probably...I hope. I just couldn't resist commenting. It all sounded so familiar.

Um...just to steer this into the realm of being on topic, my own preference is for J/D in any context (buddies or more, canonically or otherwise), but I dearly loved Daniel/Sha're on the show. And I wouldn't say no to Sam/McKay.

TC

yasureubetcha
April 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Excellent examples.

How do you get those relationships to actually happen without ruining the show? I'd be curious to hear the scenarios you enjoy fantasizing about to bring these to "fruition".

Taking it to the next step, why do relationships that would "screw the pooch" in terms of entertainment float you boat? I enjoy the show to a certain degree, which means I don't want to see these things happen, and I find them actually distasteful as ideas. For example, I like Scooby Doo from my youth, but a Scooby Doo/Stargate crossover would be awful, so I don't waste time thinking about it.

My reason for 'shipping unrealisticly is that I don't enjoy an overload of romance in a lovely sci-fi show. Romance is ok in subtle hints and occasional episodes (like Sam/Pete, between a main and an occasional character, or like Sam/Martouf, between characters living on different planets and only occasionally interacting.) It shows that the characters are in fact human, and have lives (and friends) outside of saving the world. Too much canon romance spoils the show, however, which is why I enjoy unrequited 'ships as well. They offer plenty of potential for character expansion and fan speculation without clogging up the show with all kinds of mushy stuff.

Personally, I think Sam's remaining on Hala with Fifth rather than leaving him behind, for instance, would be completely out of character for Sam, and therefore I wouldn't have wanted it to happen on the show. For that matter, while I would've liked to see her violate Jack's order and set the timer for 5 minutes, that wouldn't have worked so well on the show either.

'Ship being short for "relationship," every charcter has some kind of relationship, whether love, friendship, or enmity, with many other characters. Meanwhile in the context of the forum, 'ship seems to mean a relationship in which romance is involved. Most of the "absurd" 'ships refer to relationships with some sort of romantic context...even if it's one-way. All of the romance in the Fifth/Sam 'ship is coming from Fifth's side, but is still a defining factor in the relationship between their characters, from Unnatural Selection until Gemini. 'Shipping for someone doesn't mean you want to see them together on TV...it may only mean you appreciate and discuss what exists between the two characters. Plus it provides a way to air and discuss our speculations and ideas without annoying the people in the relevant episode or character threads. Most people who don't 'ship Ba'al/Sam would get tired of that 'ship's discussion in the Ba'al thread, and the people in the replicator-related threads who say "get rid of 'em" don't want to see/hear pages about Fifth's lovesick heartbreak.

Purpleyin
April 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Because it can be fun. Ship doesnt need to be canon. I mean since it's non-canon it'll only ever exist in fic and they kind of come under same kind of category of parody and other non-canon fics. They may not fit with the show but they can sure be fun - not all shipping is serious and in a way it's good it can be silly. If it brings a smile to someone's face then its worth it. :)

Osiris-RA
April 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Did someone say Sam/Mckay? Hold on, Is that a pig - no, now cows are flying!!! Hhhholy hannah!!!

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Because it can be fun. Ship doesnt need to be canon. I mean since it's non-canon it'll only ever exist in fic and they kind of come under same kind of category of parody and other non-canon fics. They may not fit with the show but they can sure be fun - not all shipping is serious and in a way it's good it can be silly. If it brings a smile to someone's face then its worth it. :)

yes!! i love that i can always get lots of smiles and giggles, not to mention FRIENDS from coming here and having fun shipping!! :) :)

Osiris-RA
April 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah! Ahhh, friends, so many due to shipping. Heck - there should be a shipping appreiciation thread! :D :p

Tucker Case
April 9th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Did someone say Sam/Mckay? Hold on, Is that a pig - no, now cows are flying!!! Hhhholy hannah!!!

Um...I might have mentioned them. But I'm sure I wasn't the first. The cows are not mine, I have nothing to do with cows, I find them very unnerving.

I might be responsible for launching a pig or two, but that's all.

I could grow to love Sam & McKay. As long-distance a relationship as it would be, I certainly wouldn't have to worry about overkill. And just think of all the trouble they could cook up, the polysyllabic mayhem of their every lovers' quarrel, the theoretical one-upmanship that would just have to be settled in the boudoir, that latent chivalric streak of his sneaking to the surface just as she's about to kick butt. I could maybe learn to tolerate the odd flying cow for that.

I'll need a much bigger umbrella, though.

TC

emily_reich
April 9th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Um...I might have mentioned them. But I'm sure I wasn't the first. The cows are not mine, I have nothing to do with cows, I find them very unnerving.

I could grow to love Sam & McKay. As long-distance a relationship as it would be, I certainly wouldn't have to worry about overkill. And just think of all the trouble they could cook up, the polysyllabic mayhem of their every lovers' quarrel, the theoretical one-upmanship that would just have to be settled in the boudoir, that latent chivalric streak of his sneaking to the surface just as she's about to kick butt. I could maybe learn to tolerate the odd flying cow for that.

TC

ROFLMAO!!!!! i love it!!! :D :D

Cassie
April 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I'm a Jack/Sam shipper all the way! :D

Agent_Dark
April 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM

TC
Hehe, put it that way and Sam/McKay definatly works :D

Carterslave
April 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Ships aren't worth flaming other people over. Whatever ship turns your crank, go for it. A few other random thoughts ...
• Fanfics generally handle shipping far better than the show itself does. Go figure.
• Although I'm a guy, I also seem to be GW's token Sam/Janet shipper. What can I say? They're just right for each other. Besides, the two actresses have so doggone much chemistry that all you have to do is put them in the same shot & they seem like a couple. Whatever the reason, that's my OTP & I'm sticking to it.
•*Of all the canonical ships, Janet/Daniel works best for me. They're very sweet together (as in the hallway scene in Rite of Passage) & it's probably the only canonical pairing that really walks the fine line between being perceptible & being obtrusive.
• The episodes that have serious Janet/Daniel HetYay! also have the most Sam/Janet HoYay! Hmmmmm ... anyone for an OT3?

hollyshannensangel
April 10th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I ship for *drumroll* Daniel/Jack and Janet/Sam *sighs* What can I say? I'm proud to be a slash shipper. :D Jack/Danny boy have to be my OTP.

scaryperson
April 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Sam/Thor all the way!!!
I must say though I ship Sam/Jack, i do dabble in a bit of Sam/Daniel, Sheppard/Teyla, McKay/Weir, Ba'al/Everything :p

lol
--Tan

Osiris-RA
April 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Sam/Thor all the way!!!
I must say though I ship Sam/Jack, i do dabble in a bit of Sam/Daniel, Sheppard/Teyla, McKay/Weir, Ba'al/Everything :p

lol
--Tan
Smor rocks!!

Tan! I didn't know you were a closet ArcheoGeologist!!! Comtraya!!! :D:p

yasureubetcha
April 11th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Sam/Thor all the way!!!

lol
--Tan

And are you ashamed to admit your affiliation with the Smifth thread? :D

knowsfords
April 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM
I ship for Bates/Teyla... I think even tho they've fought each other, they're a good match.

Purpleyin
April 11th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I ship for Bates/Teyla... I think even tho they've fought each other, they're a good match.
Yay, so do I! We're a small minority but it's a cool ship. :)

fan of jack
April 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Sam & Jack!!!!! :D
When oh when will they get together? :rolleyes:

whisper99
April 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Sam and Daniel 4-evah!!! :D :D :D :D

scjon
April 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Sam and Jack for me :D

But I respect everyone else's right to ship for other pairings or not to ship at all.

hollyshannensangel
April 14th, 2005, 04:52 AM
As you may or not know my OTP for SG is Jack/Daniel, whilst, my OTP for SGA is Elizabeth/Teyla.

Although I ship for Janet/Sam, Rodney/John and Aidan/Peter, I like the idea of Rodney/Peter as well.

It doesn't borther me if people pair Daniel or Jack with McKay, Ford or Sheppard, but I could never pair J/D with someone else, because like I said they are the TP.

The same with Elizabeth or Teyla they are the TP.

Even though, I've tried my hand at a Teyla/Kate fic and am trying my hand at a Kate/Elizabeth fic, (because change is good and I do like to see if I can pair them with others) for me Telya/Elizabeth will always be my OTP.

That's not to say I don't like the idea of Teyla/John, Jack/Sam, Elizabeth/Rodney etc etc it's just I'm a slash shipper. But het ship wise...I can see the chem between Teyla/John, Sam/Jack, Peter/Elizabeth and Rodney/Elizabeth.

And given the choice of TPTB pairing up, as much as I'd love to see the them opt for a gay pairing, we know that, that isn't going to happen, sadly. So het wise I would like to see the above. Although I'd opt more for Sheyla then anything else.

Rail'k
April 14th, 2005, 06:02 AM
I ship the new Lexa Doig/Michael Shanks Ship thread

Cymro
April 14th, 2005, 08:57 AM
As you may or not know my OTP for SG is Jack/Daniel, whilst, my OTP for SGA is Elizabeth/Teyla.

Although I ship for Janet/Sam, Rodney/John and Aidan/Peter, I like the idea of Rodney/Peter as well.

It doesn't borther me if people pair Daniel or Jack with McKay, Ford or Sheppard, but I could never pair J/D with someone else, because like I said they are the TP.

The same with Elizabeth or Teyla they are the TP.

Even though, I've tried my hand at a Teyla/Kate fic and am trying my hand at a Kate/Elizabeth fic, (because change is good and I do like to see if I can pair them with others) for me Telya/Elizabeth will always be my OTP.

That's not to say I don't like the idea of Teyla/John, Jack/Sam, Elizabeth/Rodney etc etc it's just I'm a slash shipper. But het ship wise...I can see the chem between Teyla/John, Sam/Jack, Peter/Elizabeth and Rodney/Elizabeth.

And given the choice of TPTB pairing up, as much as I'd love to see the them opt for a gay pairing, we know that, that isn't going to happen, sadly. So het wise I would like to see the above. Although I'd opt more for Sheyla then anything else.

I'm glad there won't be a gay pairing, it's not exactly breaking new ground on TV anymore, and even if it was, it'd be gimmicky and smack of a gay writer trying to get his own political points accross.

Carterslave
April 14th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I'm glad there won't be a gay pairing, it's not exactly breaking new ground on TV anymore, and even if it was, it'd be gimmicky and smack of a gay writer trying to get his own political points across.
I'm sorry but I have to take vehement issue with this. Given the paucity of same-sex relationships on TV and especially in sci-fi series, it still is "breaking new ground," especially when most shows still handle gay themes as though they were a live grenade. "Gimmicky"? No, try "realistic."
As for a "gay writer trying to get his [sic] own political points across," that's a pretty stereotypical assumption. Heck, I'm het (but not, alas, hep) & I'd write a slash ship for Stargate in a heartbeat ... Sam/Janet, Jack/Daniel, Teal'c/Jonas: say the word & I'd do it. (Write, that is—not Do It.) Besides, the Sam/Jack shippers are always going to be at daggers drawn with the Jack/Daniel ones, so things can't get any worse ... 'cept for a reprise of Sam/Pete. Even inter-species sex would be preferable to that

Lord Zedd
April 15th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I voted of course for Sam and Jack but I also wanted to get Sheppard and Teyla, Teal'c and Ist'ha.

Cymro
April 15th, 2005, 05:25 AM
I'm sorry but I have to take vehement issue with this. Given the paucity of same-sex relationships on TV and especially in sci-fi series, it still is "breaking new ground," especially when most shows still handle gay themes as though they were a live grenade. "Gimmicky"? No, try "realistic."
As for a "gay writer trying to get his [sic] own political points across," that's a pretty stereotypical assumption. Heck, I'm het (but not, alas, hep) & I'd write a slash ship for Stargate in a heartbeat ... Sam/Janet, Jack/Daniel, Teal'c/Jonas: say the word & I'd do it. (Write, that is—not Do It.) Besides, the Sam/Jack shippers are always going to be at daggers drawn with the Jack/Daniel ones, so things can't get any worse ... 'cept for a reprise of Sam/Pete. Even inter-species sex would be preferable to that

But having a gay relationship for the sake of having a gay relationship is the exact kind of gimmicky crap that I'm talking about, especially since the regular characters are all established as being straight. It'd just mean they could go "Look at us, we're Stargate, we're the first sci-fi show to feature a gay relationship, we're political activists". And the truth is that if you put a gay relationship in the show, then it's a concious desicion to "be different" and put in your own feelings about homosexuality into the show.

hollyshannensangel
April 15th, 2005, 05:48 AM
I'm glad there won't be a gay pairing, it's not exactly breaking new ground on TV anymore, and even if it was, it'd be gimmicky and smack of a gay writer trying to get his own political points accross.

Carterslave, I agree with everything you say. A writer whom writes gay stories isn't necessarily gay themselves, in fact if you ask me, it’s fifty-fifty, although maybe more het people write slash fiction, then actually gay people *shrugs*

I appluded shows, which handle and deal with the reality of people being gay, although some shows do it more so for rating than anything else...
but alas, what can you do? Ah, the old shipper war, given the choice of seeing Daniel/Jack or Sam/Jack, personally, I'd like to see Jack/Daniel, but as I said in my pervious post, we know that the wrtiers aren't ever going to deal with gay pairings or even the idea. After all they'd end up with an angry mob on their hands.

so things can't get any worse ... 'cept for a reprise of Sam/Pete. Even inter-species sex would be preferable to that
*Laughs* Sam/Pete...they were just so wrong in so many ways. *shudders* I was watching the behind the stargate and I couldn't believe that someone emailed in kill Pete Sam/Jackl forever...Amanda's expression cracked me up.

Teal'c and Ist'ha-Damn, how the hell did I forget about them?

hollyshannensangel
April 15th, 2005, 05:59 AM
It'd just mean they could go "Look at us, we're Stargate, we're the first sci-fi show to feature a gay relationship, we're political activists". And the truth is that if you put a gay relationship in the show, then it's a concious desicion to "be different" and put in your own feelings about homosexuality into the show.

But how is writing/ screening gay storylines different? I mean here...in the UK, lets see...most if not all the British soaps handle gay storylines and there are gay characters and then there's shows, based on on novels like-Tipping the Velvet/Fingersmith ....to this day some people don't handle it well, whilst others don't bat en eyelid.

But having a gay relationship for the sake of having a gay relationship is the exact kind of gimmicky crap that I'm talking about, especially since the regular characters are all established as being straight.

Ah, but that's the thing about shipping. Yes, we know that Jack/Sam are meant for one another, but for me there are lots of moments between Jack/Daniel, granted that the way in which it is written in purely for Daniel and Jack's friendship, but they know each other so well...and then there's the looks *shrugs*

Shippers what can I say? Some ship in the het direction, whilst others (like myself) ship in the slash/ gay (which ever sounds better) direction. Then you get others who ship for both. Each to their own.

Purpleyin
April 15th, 2005, 06:31 AM
But having a gay relationship for the sake of having a gay relationship is the exact kind of gimmicky crap that I'm talking about, especially since the regular characters are all established as being straight. It'd just mean they could go "Look at us, we're Stargate, we're the first sci-fi show to feature a gay relationship, we're political activists". And the truth is that if you put a gay relationship in the show, then it's a concious desicion to "be different" and put in your own feelings about homosexuality into the show.

But does it always have to be? I guess it's not possible right now but then when is it going to possible unless a number of shows do it first. The thing is if they put a gay relationship in then maybe alot of people would think it gimicky when it's not meant to be. It's rather sad that's the way things are.
It'd be good if a gay relationship could just be in a show without being something political or gimmicky

I'm not gay but I'd gladly see more gay relatonships on shows. Plus they have more chance to introduce one on SGa because the sexuality on characters there is less established - so far we've only had Elizabeth/Simon, Carson/Perna and Rodney/Sam and who's to say they couldn't have a bisexual character anyway?

Of course that said I seriously doubt they'd ever try and I suppose it might put some people off, perhaps becuase they'd see it as 'gimmicky' but I can always dream....

wraith816
April 15th, 2005, 09:19 AM
As everyone can tell by my sig, I slash. J/D is OTP! :D

Carterslave
April 16th, 2005, 12:12 AM
It's rather sad that's the way things are.
I'm not gay but I'd gladly see more gay relatonships on shows. ... Of course that said I seriously doubt they'd ever try and I suppose it might put some people off, perhaps because they'd see it as 'gimmicky' but I can always dream....
Series TV could be much gay-friendlier b/c right now the choice seems to be between comparative invisibility or having to deal with the ongoing 'novelty' factor of gay couples on TV, which a lot of people still find squicky. Occasionally you have a series creator like Joss Whedon who brings the HoYay! on early & often, presumably in hopes that people will get used to it, but that's very much the exception to the rule.
(I have gay family members, so I take umbrage at the idea that same-sex relationships on TV are "gimmicky crap." It's just another facet of life, that's all.)
Aaaaaanyway, there wouldn't be so much slash shipping if viewers weren't responding to something inherent (latent?) in the show. Sam/Jack is the 'official' ship (plus a side dish of Daniel/Janet) but even the DVD commentaries have alluded to UST between Jack & Daniel and there are enough "tells" to keep the Carter/Fraiser ship viable, too.
Heck, I just read two very non-slash fan fictions (one of them a Sam/Jack romance) and even in those the Jack/Daniel exchanges could be quite homoerotic—so it's a subtext that infiltrates the Het fanfics, too.
Of course, the SG-1 mythology is pretty firmly established by this point. Maybe Atlantis can take the risk ...

Lord Zedd
April 16th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Well talking about the gay thing. In Buffy the vampire slayer Willow and Tara were together, they were gay. And there is nothing so special about people being gay. They are still the same persons they ever were.

Purpleyin
April 16th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Well talking about the gay thing. In Buffy the vampire slayer Willow and Tara were together, they were gay. And there is nothing so special about people being gay. They are still the same persons they ever were.

Exactly - if that could happen in more tv shows that would be great. I know there's the fact having gay relationships on shows is supposedly not groundbreaking but we practically always have heterosexual relationships and that's really not ground breaking anymore by far...;)

Cymro
April 16th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Well, other than Buffy, all the other shows on TV with gay relationships have been soap opera type shows, which Buffy isn't very far from being anyway. And the advantage that Buffy had was that all of it's characters were in their late teens and early twenties, where the issue of them "just now" discovering their sexuality and experimenting etc is much more plausible than a load of people in their 30s and 40s doing so. And I think the sexuality of all the main characters has been fairly well established by now, so Shepperd having a boyfriend is out of the question. Not that I'd be against more subtle gay relationships in the show, perhaps involving a reccurring character like Zelenka. What I'm saying is, I don't mind gay relationships on TV, I just don't want them shoved down my throat, and a big change in the sexuality of a regular character would inevitably lead to that. I've said the same thing about Star Trek, I've just never thought that such issues belonged on shows that avoid references to sex altogether.

Purpleyin
April 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Well, other than Buffy, all the other shows on TV with gay relationships have been soap opera type shows, which Buffy isn't very far from being anyway. And the advantage that Buffy had was that all of it's characters were in their late teens and early twenties, where the issue of them "just now" discovering their sexuality and experimenting etc is much more plausible than a load of people in their 30s and 40s doing so. And I think the sexuality of all the main characters has been fairly well established by now, so Shepperd having a boyfriend is out of the question. Not that I'd be against more subtle gay relationships in the show, perhaps involving a reccurring character like Zelenka. What I'm saying is, I don't mind gay relationships on TV, I just don't want them shoved down my throat, and a big change in the sexuality of a regular character would inevitably lead to that. I've said the same thing about Star Trek, I've just never thought that such issues belonged on shows that avoid references to sex altogether.

If you're talking about established in regard to the character and their life, may be but that doesn't mean we as viewers will be privy to it. We've seen Sheppard with Chaya but that doesn't specifically rule out anything with Sheppad/Male-character yet.

That said if they were going to do a gay relationship it probably would be best betwen secondary characters because that way it wouldn't be 'shove down any one's throat' as you described it. But my point still stands that people are making large assumptions about main characters sexualities when in fact only about half of them have anything much established and you can't really say what's been seen so far is what it has to be limited to.

Nikki
April 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I'm a die-hard jack and sam shipper, i think they have so much on-screen chemistry, but i also saw a lot of potential for daniel and janet.

Carterslave
April 17th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I also saw a lot of potential for Daniel and Janet.
Dan/Jan raises an interesting question. To wit: What constitutes 'canon'? In seasons 4, 5 & 7, Teryl Rothery & Michael Shanks played it as a 'ship, and the directors & writers seem to have gone along. Since there was no lip-lock nor any of those awkward discussions that Sam & Jack tended to have, some would argue that it's non-canonical. But since the only thing missing was an explicit verbal acknowledgement, I'd argue that it falls onto the 'canon' side of the fence. But since everybody involved played their cards pretty close to the vest, people who find shipping a distraction don't have to deal with it.

Cymro
April 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Call me stereotypical, but I don't think Sheperd has a gay personality, neither does Rodney, or Zelenka, or Bates. Maybe Ford or Beckett, or Colonel Everett.

Spaceminx
April 18th, 2005, 10:44 AM
What I'm saying is, I don't mind gay relationships on TV, I just don't want them shoved down my throat,

But of course its ok for us gay people to have heterosexuality shoved down our throats 24/7.

Cymro
April 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM
But of course its ok for us gay people to have heterosexuality shoved down our throats 24/7.

Yep, cause we're the majority, and the majority rules.

yasureubetcha
April 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Dan/Jan raises an interesting question. To wit: What constitutes 'canon'? In seasons 4, 5 & 7, Teryl Rothery & Michael Shanks played it as a 'ship, and the directors & writers seem to have gone along. Since there was no lip-lock nor any of those awkward discussions that Sam & Jack tended to have, some would argue that it's non-canonical. But since the only thing missing was an explicit verbal acknowledgement, I'd argue that it falls onto the 'canon' side of the fence. But since everybody involved played their cards pretty close to the vest, people who find shipping a distraction don't have to deal with it.

I think that subtlety into which you can read something, or not, is better than overtly 'shippy stuff. But I also think that if the relationship itself (not the chemistry, the rightness, or any other criterion, which are always up in the air) is open to interpretation, then the 'ship isn't canon. I wouldn't have considered the Jack/Sam 'ship potential canon until D & C, before which you could decide for yourself about the potential nature of the relationship. I wouldn't consider a 'ship (at least between major characters) "canon" until you have a line like "I care about her," or some such thing. Then it's a statement of what is, with no room for interpretation, and it must be dealt with.
With minor characters, I'd say that's different. Then you have to assume things, because characters may only be interacting for one or two episodes per season, or even one or two period. But when you see personal interaction in every episode, it's harder to draw the line between 'ship and friendship from looks and banter. IMO, when you're talking about a dealing-with-someone-on-a-daily-basis real relationship rather than a vague attraction or something like it, it takes a more obvious statement to make it canonical. But it goes without saying that this is all just my personal opinion. :D

hollyshannensangel
April 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Amen to that...*laughs* I don't even know why I'm saying amen...considering....this is why I love show that...'take the risk'. Hence, the reason I love The L Word, although for me...that show really isn't taking a risk, unless you include the family groups, then that's different...*shrugs*

Cymro.

Sheppard and co...*pauses, pondering how to put this across* well, they come across as straight, because that is what they are. Most if not all writers just stick with boy/girl relationship, but for once I'd like the writers to take the other road. Thank Gwad, for Ellen, as she was the first gay icon that people would relate to. *Pauses* at least I think she was...well, she was the first one on tv....

Cymro-Don't think I'm picking on you, it's just I like to air my voice and well frankly, sometimes, when I do air my opinion it tends to rubs people up the wrong way. But people just interpret it how they want to. *Shrugs*

Carterslave
April 18th, 2005, 11:14 PM
With minor characters, I'd say that's different. Then you have to assume things, because characters may only be interacting for one or two episodes per season, or even one or two period. But when you see personal interaction in every episode, it's harder to draw the line between 'ship and friendship from looks and banter. :D
No arguments there. I do think it's more fun to 'play along' and discover ships through looks, touches, body language, etc. And if Janet & Daniel never said the 'L' word, they were holding hands—in the hallway of the SGC fer crissakes—in Rite of Passage.
And then Fraiser has that speech in Meridian where she confesses to Carter that she's been tempted to euthanize Daniel, even though it goes against her oath ... her distress prompting Sam to bust out the Goa'uld healing device, for Janet's sake. (Which proves once again that Carter's love for Fraiser trumps all others.)
;-)
Hey, even if I'm a Sam/Janet partisan, I'll stick up for Janet/Daniel—not least b/c they're so darn sweet together.

CoffeeGirl
April 19th, 2005, 12:13 AM

That's okay, but how about recognizing that a minority exists? And that the world isn't ending because of it?

Personally, I used to be a Sam/Jack-Shipper for almost 8 years until

Möbius happened. I decided that I would watch it and decide if I wanted to continue being a Shipper after that. Well, it aired, I watched, felt I was being messed with as a fan and Shipper, stopped watching the show and moved on to the Pegasus Galaxy.

On Atlantis, I ship for Sheppard/McKay, but I'd prefer not to see ANY overt ship on screen because TPTB can't seem to get it right. They should leave it to the fanfiction writers who do a much better job at writing relationships and storywriting in general these days.

Spaceminx
April 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Ah, the fascist's catchphrase!

Cymro
April 21st, 2005, 06:36 AM
Cymro.

Sheppard and co...*pauses, pondering how to put this across* well, they come across as straight, because that is what they are. Most if not all writers just stick with boy/girl relationship, but for once I'd like the writers to take the other road. Thank Gwad, for Ellen, as she was the first gay icon that people would relate to. *Pauses* at least I think she was...well, she was the first one on tv....

Cymro-Don't think I'm picking on you, it's just I like to air my voice and well frankly, sometimes, when I do air my opinion it tends to rubs people up the wrong way. But people just interpret it how they want to. *Shrugs*

I don't know why you feel like you're picking on me, I find nothing disagreeable about that post, I acctually can't disagree with the logic. It's just part of our culture that people are expected to be diplomatic, and somewhat economical with what they really think, and personally, I'm all for people speaking their minds. I mean, I come here with my own opinions about things and someone else might present an angle I hadn't considered on the subject, which is why I'm here. I've acctually spent most of this discussion trying not to say what you did i.e. I don't want to see Jack, Daniel, Rodney or Shepperd in a gay relationship because they aren't gay, and I didn't want to say that to avoid the stereotypes arguement. The fact is that you can tell some things about a person from the way he talks, acts and of course any previous relationships he may have had. Shepperd and Jack are "everyman" type people, so you can rule them out straight away, and Rodney's too macho to be gay, and Daniel's had way too many women to be gay.

I just don't think these slash ships with existing characters make any sense, and this is Stargate, not American Beauty.

Ah, the fascist's catchphrase!

It's also the basis for democracy, don't you know. And the fact is that a very small percentage of people are gay or bisexual, so the odds of everyone at the SGC being gay are probably even worse than the odds that SG-1 could save earth so many times. Gay relationships are rare, straight relationships are common, that's how it is in real life, that's how it is on TV. Deal with it.

CoffeeGirl
April 21st, 2005, 07:12 AM
The fact is that you can tell some things about a person from the way he talks, acts and of course any previous relationships he may have had. Shepperd and Jack are "everyman" type people, so you can rule them out straight away, and Rodney's too macho to be gay, and Daniel's had way too many women to be gay.

I really hate to burst your bubble, but gay people are as diverse and multi-faceted as straight people. I love all kinds of girly stuff, I'm wearing a pink sweater right now, I listen to Celine Dion when no one's looking and I'm in no way what people call "butch". And yet I'm a lesbian.

Think of it as being left-handed. The majority of people are right-handed, but there are some who are left-handed and they can have all kinds of personalities. :)

Cymro
April 21st, 2005, 08:47 AM
I really hate to burst your bubble, but gay people are as diverse and multi-faceted as straight people. I love all kinds of girly stuff, I'm wearing a pink sweater right now, I listen to Celine Dion when no one's looking and I'm in no way what people call "butch". And yet I'm a lesbian.

Think of it as being left-handed. The majority of people are right-handed, but there are some who are left-handed and they can have all kinds of personalities. :)

And all the men I've known who are gay are just as girly as you, and most people knew they were gay before they did. Of course there is diversity in groups, but a lot of the time, instincts are right. For instance, I'm a metal head headbanging metal junkie maniac, but I don't have long hair, do drugs and I'm not angry or manically depressed, but a lot of the metalheads I know fit that description (and I hates them I hates them!!!). You can be girly lesbian, or a manly gay, but odds are you're not.

CoffeeGirl
April 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM
Okay, I guess we agree to disagree. Let's leave it at that. :-)

Cymro
April 22nd, 2005, 04:16 AM
I disagree :)

sueKay
April 22nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
I'm agreeing with CoffeeGirl...I have some close friends who are homosexual, and yes some of them fit the stereotype, but most don't. It's the same as saying I'm scottish so I must have ginger hair, a kilt, like Haggis and drink whisky all day long. Stereotypes are never right.

Cymro
April 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
And this is the arguement I've been trying to avoid. I've discovered that certain stereotypes are right more than you'd think. Obviously nobody fits the stereotype to a tee, but you can still tell, at least, I can. And more importantly, you can tell that Sheperd is not gay.

Desala
April 22nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
I had picked Tea'lc/Ishta, Sam/Pete and other slash. I'm a Jack/Daniel slasher all the way. ....But Daniel would have looked cute with Jonas if he had stayed.

valaCB
April 22nd, 2005, 07:27 AM
I don't Ship. but if i was it will be Jack/Vala, it will never happen of course...
in the pasy i said Vala/ Daniel but Daniel is too boring for Vala :p
Jack and Carter was nice but that's it, nothing special.

Amanda_Tapping_Fan
February 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Im a:

Jack/Sam
Daniel/Janet
Sam/Janet

huntress
February 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Rodney/John
Rodney/Carson

CKO
February 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Cam/Vala (i refuse to ship Daniel/Vala or Cam/Sam)
Shep/Dex (i mean c'mon shex rules_)
McKay/Beckett ( although damn you PtB.. if you've seen sunday then ya know what im talkin bout)
mckay/zelenka
Sam/Daniel

poundpuppy29
February 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
My favorite is Daniel & Vala I love them everything about them but I like Sheppard & Weir (Sparky), Ronon & Teyla (Spanky) and Jack & Sam.

JessM
February 21st, 2007, 06:14 AM
I ship Daniel/Sam (avoids heavy and pointed objects :() and Cam/Vala (and find shipping Teal'c/Vala a bit of fun sometimes as well).

I don't really ship onscreen very much anymore though since I know they'll never ever go with my pairings, and that they probably wouldn't do them justice anyway, so I root for friendship more and ship mostly in fanfiction.

I'm not too happy with the way they are tearing up friendships onscreen lately...

Blower'sGate
February 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
I'm a Sam/Jack and Shep/Weir, Daniel/Vala ( lol sometimes Teal'c Vala for the fun of it ! ) addict ^^ But I'm all for weird ships like : Daniel/Thor, Mckay/Hermiod.... Well in general I'm all for ships as long as it's subtle and that it's only resolved at the end of a serie.

=>Hopefull for the second SG-1 movie ^^ :p

Cory Holmes
February 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
I don't really ship onscreen very much anymore though since I know they'll never ever go with my pairings, and that they probably wouldn't do them justice anyway, so I root for friendship more and ship mostly in fanfiction.

I feel your pain. It makes it all the harder for me to pick a pairing 'cuz I know it's the Kiss of Death once I do.

nebulan
February 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
I know there are no Vala ships up there, but my current favorite SG1 ship (in the past it's been Sam/Jack but not much is happening with that ship anymore) is Teal'c/Vala :D I know, I'm weird... :D Daniel/Share is also not listed.

huntress
February 23rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
And this is the arguement I've been trying to avoid. I've discovered that certain stereotypes are right more than you'd think. Obviously nobody fits the stereotype to a tee, but you can still tell, at least, I can. And more importantly, you can tell that Sheperd is not gay.

Right like all marines and cowboys are all straight right ;) I don't think you can "see" that at all. I have a few friends who are gay or bi. One of the gay guys I know, so doesn't seem to be gay. He is always around a lot of girls, has the coolest taste in music (he knew bands like arctic monkeys, snow patrol and zero 7 before most people even knew those bands), loves to hang around pubs, drink stouts and sing patriotic Irish fight songs. Really not gay at all....except that he is. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean that person is not. Also for me Shep is not gay....he is so bi. He is pretty much flirting with anything that looks good and has two legs LOL

JessM
February 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM
I feel your pain. It makes it all the harder for me to pick a pairing 'cuz I know it's the Kiss of Death once I do.

:indeed:

JackandSamAddict
March 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
I ship Daniel/Sam (avoids heavy and pointed objects :() and Cam/Vala (and find shipping Teal'c/Vala a bit of fun sometimes as well).

I'm not too happy with the way they are tearing up friendships onscreen lately...

I agree with the tearing up of friendships lately too....Even though I'm not a Daniel/Sam shipper, there should at least be a voting thing on the poll for them though, they are a ship...and even I must admit if I weren't so for Jack and Sam....and I didn't think that D/S were more like brother and sister I would SHIP them...wow kooky week I've been having! I also ship Vala and Teal'c! They're so cute together!

Anuna
March 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Daniel/Janet; my first Stargate ship! :D

SazZat
March 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Oh yeah I know how that feels. I am the girl who as soon as I choose a favourite character it automatically puts them on the death list (and that is no exageration).
It normally means one half of my ships usually die or disappears...

The only pairing I have ever forum shipped is Shep/Weir. I'm not big on forums so shipping on them is a new deal to me and that's only because I don't want to annoy my family with 24/7 stargate chatter. For SG-1 though I love Sam/Martouf and always will (my first ship addiction) and Daniel/Vala.

As someone said further up though, I am really big on friendships...I absolutely adore Jack/Daniel as a friendship and I really miss that. I love all the different friendships that have been in Stargate though. Although I like to ship, I'm actually really odd in that I don't like seeing love relationships between the main characters. UST, flirting, caring, hints etc are all fine. That's what floats my boat. They'd be no fun for me if it got much further than that :)

zuz
March 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
My favourite ships are Jack/Sam http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/z_bicikova/smilies/JSheartbanner.gif and Weir/Zelenka. http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/z_bicikova/smilies/weirzelcouple2.gif
As for slash there's only one pairing I can "handle": Jack/Daniel. http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/z_bicikova/smilies/jd00222.gif