This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no longer a newbie! (was mini-marathon thread) Made it to S10

Hey all! I had a thread going about my mini-marathons and the last time I posted I had just seen Flesh and Blood (which I mistakenly called Flesh and Bone - duh). Well, I don't think I qualify as a newbie anymore since I've finally finished watching EVERY EPISODE OF STARGATE SG-1!!!

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

I thought I'd take this opportunity to say that 9 1/2 seasons of this show in about 2 1/2 months and I'm still loving it. Someone else (in a thread somewhere in the season 10 sub-forum) put it best - my love for Stargate SG-1 is like a marriage. There will be good and there will be bad, and you accept that. (You take 'em both and there you have the facts of life...) Every episode hasn't been something I'd watch over and over, but I've enjoyed my viewings VERY, very much.
    Spoiler:

Anyway, I thought I'd post some thoughts about season 10 episodes.

MORPHEUS
    I didn't find this a very exciting episode, but I liked it okay. The sleeping sickness parasite seemed very X-Files to me - and I don't have a problem with that. It was just kinda there. All of Vala's stuff was FUN and I loved the one somewhat serious part where Vala gives up and tells the psychiatrist exactly what she's thinking. Also at the end when she thinks she isn't wanted and insists on being allowed to leave.

THE PEGASUS PROJECT
    Okay - how cool was that?!?! I haven't watched any of Atlantis, but after this episode, I am intrigued. Loved finding out that the hologram was actually a live feed to an ascended being - Morgan Le Fay. I loved the resolution with the Wraith ship and the Ori ship. Excellent!

INSIDERS
    Ba'al is just so....slimy, don't you think? I guess that's what makes him a good baddie.

UNINVITED
    Liked this one. The Landry/Mitchell quality time was fun, plus the ending. This felt like another X-Files-type episode - though I liked that it was our own screw-up. (If we hadn't modified the Sodan cloaking devices, it would never have happened.)

I can't say enough good things about this episode. I *loved* it. I was going to start watchging SG-1 just for Ben Browder and Claudia Black and was tempted to just start with season 9. I'm glad I didn't do that. For one thing - I fell in love with the entire series - with and without Ben and Claudia. For another thing, there's no way I could have appreciated 200 in the same way without seeing all the previous episodes. Sure - there were general spoofs that the casual viewer would get, but there was so much more: dealing with an absentee lead, an actor that goes away for a season and comes back, replacing a lead, when O'Neill shows up - comments about spoilers and commercials, the wedding, the very brief nod to slash, the Star Trek spoof, the Farscape spoof, etc. I just love that the show can make fun of itself and its stars so much!

COUNTERSTRIKE
    Liked this episode - though the Jaffa are really starting to bug me. It feels like "Trust no one" should become their motto.

MEMENTO MORI
    Liked this episode. A different side of Vala - her vulnerable side. I fall more and more in love with Vala all the time. As for her joining SG-1 - yeah, it seems kinda soon, but that's something I can forgive. How long was Jonas just hanging around before he became an official member of the team? Sam says that Vala has earned her place on the team. I think her contributions so far earn her a place on the team. Two more things of note: Cameron shirtless and handcuffed to the bed. Woof! And Daniel finally getting through to Vala. Awwwww.

COMPANY OF THIEVES
    Enjoyed this one a lot. Cam did a good job of pretending to be the bad guy. (Okay Fargaters - didn't you think of "A Bug's Life" and "Nerve"? Except no horrible accent?) I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Sam. Totally loved Vala at the chop shop. "Come on, give us a hug." "He likes me. Isn't that cute?"

THE QUEST, part 1
    Loved it. It was fairly obvious that you're supposed to figure out that the librarian was an Ori follower, but I totally didn't expect it to be Adria. I really liked that Adria didn't have all her superpowers. (If she did, it would have been a much shorter episode.) I am *so* looking forward to the next new episode. I know I've got a while to wait.

And on a slightly different topic - I've noticed episode titles on SG-1 that had been used in X-Files (Chimera, Fallen, Endgame, Ascension, Demons) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (Tin Man, The Game, The Price, Shades of Gray), among others. Anyone know which show shares the most episode titles with Stargate SG-1? Just curious.
    Last edited by TameFarrar; 06 November 2006, 07:50 PM. Reason: spoilers are needed for episodes not yet in syndication
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
    And on a slightly different topic - I've noticed episode titles on SG-1 that had been used in X-Files (Chimera, Fallen, Endgame, Ascension, Demons) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (Tin Man, The Game, The Price, Shades of Gray), among others. Anyone know which show shares the most episode titles with Stargate SG-1? Just curious.
    That sounds like a project for someone with way too much time on their hands.

Re: Atlantis. You can't really say you've watched all of Stargate until you've seen it, too. Come on, only two-and-a-half more seasons to go!

I did the same thing as you, but only watching 7 seasons in three months. Eight and Atlantis had just begun by the time I got current. Let me tell you, these hiatuses are killer after binging on so many seasons.

a time to mourn

Comment

So, you've made it through! Good on you. Those mini-marathons paid off. BTW, the episode titles and some plot point are often "homages" to other shows in the words of TPTB, their way of saluting other works of sci-fi.
      sigpic

Comment

hooray

As fr titles, I think most scifi shows end up with some cross-episodical names. It's because there are some titles that are beign asked to be used. Take for example, Revelations. Show me one science fictino show that doesn't have an episode named that way
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Lots of episode titles are shared between TV-shows that don't make puns for their episode names (like "Charmed". They almost always used well-known terms and names and changed them around a bit).

Also, there's never been a "Stargate" episode called "The Price" (or even "Price").

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter View Post
            Let me tell you, these hiatuses are killer after binging on so many seasons.
            Oh yeah, they're bad. On the other hand, they give someone like me who's waiting for the money to buy the season boxed sets time to catch up before new episodes show.
            It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
            --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Working...
            X