Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An honest question for you J/S shippers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An honest question for you J/S shippers.

Explain to me, if you don't mind, what the appeal of the Jack/Sam shippiness is? Its gone right over my head, but so many people are passionate about them. What am I totally blind to? Don't get me wrong, shippy I do and often am, but not for anyone in Stargate. I'm just curious, so enlighten me. What am I missing?

I would have checked out those ship threads, but um, I'm a little intimidated.

Originally posted by FieryHands
    Explain to me, if you don't mind, what the appeal of the Jack/Sam shippiness is? Its gone right over my head, but so many people are passionate about them. What am I totally blind to? Don't get me wrong, shippy I do and often am, but not for anyone in Stargate. I'm just curious, so enlighten me. What am I missing?
    Wow, you're brave FieryHands, for opening up this kind of discussion.
    But seriously, I just hope people respond intellegently and keep it all nice, which I will attempt to start off

I obviously can't speak for anybody else on here, and infact, while I am indeed a s/j shipper, I tend to avoid talking about it, and I avidly avoid the s/j shipper threads for the reasons that:
    1. spoilers tend to be rampant
    2. I can understand the reasons why tptb don't put sam and jack together - ie. dramatic tension. whereas, I've found for the most part, if you dare to bring up such a thought in those kinds of threads, it's (usually, not always) immediately shot down without any real arguments against it, 'just coz'.
    3. Im not completely averse to Pete. While I do have some issues, I think it's an interesting storyline that could provide many intriguing episodes and character development.

But I have always, even before extending my fandom to online, been a shipper (and really, before I even knew the word existed ) Possibly it started because thats what happens in episodic television: if there are single main characters of the opposite sex, there is usually some kind of romantic tension played upon.
    But as far as I can see, s/j has become more than that. (but then, I think it's all in the eye of the beholder - the scenes I see as ship, could in fact be interpreted as friendship by non-shippers)
    The fact that tptb are shippers tends to make it a little easier on the shippers though

Another reason I try to avoid ship talk on the forum is because I don't see it as the be-all and end-all of the show. I have to admit that I would be a little disappointed if at the end of the show (that is, movies etc.) there was absolutely no resolution, or what could be considered and interpreted as resolution. But I'm not so fanatical that I'd ignore 8 years of hardwork and well written/produced show because I was slightly dissapointed at the ending. And I keep in mind that the show is SciFi, and should not solely be based around the characters relationships. I wanna see them reacting to the things they do on different planets. I wanna see fancy cgi, I wanna see funny alien technology, I wanna see creative writing.

That being said, I also believe that after 8 years of working together, the characters of Sam and Jack WOULD feel something more than friendship for each other.
    "I'm sorry, that's just how I feel about it. What do you think"

Originally posted by FieryHands
    I would have checked out those ship threads, but um, I'm a little intimidated.
    I think you're right to be afraid. Be *very* afraid!

Comment

This is a legitimate question but we have a ship discussion thread to...well...to discuss ship and I think that this question would be best posted there. Due to the amound of ship discussion that's been going on we're trying to keep the threads condensed so as not to overflow the forum with ship threads so I'm going to go ahead and close this thread down now.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
      X