This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why people tuned out to SG1.

I was just rewatching some of my fav. episodes pre-season 9 and i've come to the conclusion that people stopped watching SG1 because its not really well.. realistic anyumore. I mean we all know the show is science fiction but when you watch episodes like Torment of Tantalus and The 5th Race you get a sense of Awe when its over. I mean you actually beleive that it "COULD" happen. Gouald are as unrealistic as well but with a whole universe out there i mean anything could happen as unrealitic as it may sound. Then there are the 4 great races that faught for good against evil and the ascended ancients which look after us with unlimited knoledge at their disposile. Then you get to season 9 and it introduces a new galaxy with suppodidly bad ascended being who have the power to destroy players with a snap of their fingers sending toilet ships to our galaxy and etc.. its just TOOO unrealistic. COmpared to season 1-8 seaons 9 and 10 are just too bull**** and too unrealistic.

So THATS why. Ohhh. Little snakes in peoples heads with the intelligence of humans was realistic.

Wow....

I'm not even gonna start...
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Actually I think you are dead on, I still watch it, but it is really a totally different show.

When the show first started they were underdog explorers who were discovering the secrets of mankind's past. Now SG-1 cruises around in spaceships that would have easily taken down apophis in the period of all 1 decade fighting an enemy that does not at all fit with the original premise of the show.

The Ori are an interesting enemy, but I don't consider S9 and S10 to be SG-1 anymore. They seem to be a different show, not a bad show, but it isn't the same feel or flow as SG-1, it is Stargate Something Else.

Comment

thats probably not the main reason. When SG-1 defeated the Goulds and the Replicators they killed off the only two enemies they had. From there they ended their struggle and after that they have no reason to get them selves inundated in another problem SG-1 encounters. Threads and Moebius part 1 and 2 gave them closure.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

ya the old ep i couldnt miss but now i just really dont care i think o ill see it later. everything they do is to unbeilveable. i agree the priors are a little much and the toilts are just kinda to good to be true

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

I don't think that's the reason at all, the current storylines are just as believable as the old ones. I personally still love the show but the major problems I think people have are firstly the not exploring just for the hell of it anymore and meeting new races. Secondly the fact that every single thing that happens now has to be related in some way to the ancients, next we'll be finding out they're responsible for the goa'uld .

Comment

The First 8 seasons were about exploring the universe with a little bit of beleivable/unbeleivable things like the things i mentinos 4 great races etc.. I mean snakes in humans well thats more unbeleivable then beleivable but its unique at least. Then season 9 and 10 i mean come on! Ascended ancients who implants a sort of mini-god baby into a mortal person who has almost an infinite amount of knowledge on their way to our galaxy to destroy us.

Comment

I can't speak for anyone else, but here are the reasons I stopped watching the show in Season 9.

- I didn't object to the character of Mitchell but I do object to how they introduced him and what they effectively did to Carter's character in the process. They essentially undermined her character and she doens't seem to have had a problem with it.

- There is a tipping point when you have to keep making your baddies bigger than the last one. I think the tipping point was probably the need to find something bigger than Anubis. The Ancients and other ascended beings were much better as mysterious forces and become much less powerful as a storytelling tool the more you define them.

- The shooting style literally makes me sick now. Sea sick that is. At least it did in season 9. The worst example of this is from Avalon Part 2, the roundy round scene around the communications device. It seems to me that they were so desperate to find a new style for shooting the show that they forgot many of the rules for basic cinemetography. Probably wasn't helped with me as a viewer that I was taking film courses in college at the time and was seeing it.

- I generally find the writing has become over-rought. I don't know if it's the writers becoming arrogant, or unsure or what, but most of the episodes in season 9 had simply too much plot. The best example i can think of is Ripple Effect. I was enjoying the show a lot until about thirty minutes in (I was watching it on DVD so I'm probably talking 45 minutes in on the broadcast version) when it seemed to take a left turn into bizarro land. One of my favorite episodes of the series was season 2's A Matter of Time, and this could have been a great science plot epsiode in the same vain, the buisness about the evil SG1 was simply too much plot for the episode to bare, and even that felt forced because it was discovered and resolved in about seven minutes.

I had wanted to like season 9, but I think I came to the conclusion that the show should have ended at the end of season 7, and that while I would definately buy DVDs of the remaining seasons I wasn't going to waste my time watching it in broadcast.

I do not maintain that these are everyone's reasons for turning out, and I please remind folks not to debate mine as if they aren't valid reasons because they are after all my reasons. This isn't the first nor will it be the last show that I have really loved that has reached this point. X-Files lasted in my book four seasons more than it should have. Homicide's seventh season is rather scary. The post Sorkin years of the West Wing are almost an entirely different show, and season four of the Profiler didn't even feature... the Profiler anymore. I still love those shows, but I can look at them critically too.

Comment

I disagre with your reasoning for why people stoped watching. I'm sure some agree but not I. The show has always been realstic military-wise and science-wise, and then they were very clever with the science fiction part of the show and they did it in a way where you think it could happen. Agreed that the Ori are a more god-like enemy as well as their technology but I always have found calling their ships "toilet" ships as a vulgar way of describing the ships. I don't find them any more beleivable than the Goa'uld but they add a sense of danger to the show and make each week very exciting. I truly don't think anything has changed between seasons 1-10 and still find this show very exciting and believable.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

SO for those of you that disagree with my statement you are honestly saying that the first 8 Seasons which well in my opinion include episodes like Torment of Tantalus and the 5th Race and many others i will soon watch are less or equal to season 9+10?

The main reason i watch SG1 is because it is thrilling and fun to explore new things or to at least watch what COULD be out there. But there is an extent to that. THere is an extent to our imaginations. We can all imagine a bad guy out there i mean there has to be a bad race somewhere in space. A stargate that can travel between worlds... Hey! why not? Space ships and aliens creatures hey im all for it.... Ascended beings with infinite knowledge (Yes i know its not entirely infinite) with 1 goal which is to destroy or convert all life in our Galaxy? Uhhh no thanks.

Not to mention if you have actually watched EVERY episode which most of you probobly havent you can see a distinct difference between seasons 1-8 and 9/10. It focuses less on the stargate, exploration of different worlds and above all else discovering things we never knew like a galactic alliance of 4 great races and the meaning of life. Season 9 and 10 is nothing but a bunch of space fights and other BS. If i wanted to watch space fights i would tune into star trek or BG.

Comment

Don't forget, the first 8 years also had stuff like "Emancipation", "Space Race", "Affinity", and other...crap (IMHO).

And if I were you I wouldn't make stupid generalizations about what other people have seen or not seen of the Stargate universe.

Comment

Space race and those other episodes are "episodes" Compared to the 40 episodes in 2 consecutive seasons worth of BS outweighs any overall episodes of unrealistic crap stargate writers have created through seasons 1-8.

Yes i did make an assumption but if this topic had posts equal to the ammount of everyone viewing it i doubt half the people have watched every episode of stargate to even post valid information in this topic.

Comment

What about that episode where Teal'c turned into a bug. "Bane"! Yeah...I could see that happening in real life. Or how bout that episode where the team got super powers. I see people moving at that speed everyday!
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                            Space race and those other episodes are "episodes" Compared to the 40 episodes in 2 consecutive seasons worth of BS outweighs any overall episodes of unrealistic crap stargate writers have created through seasons 1-8.

Yes i did make an assumption but if this topic had posts equal to the ammount of everyone viewing it i doubt half the people have watched every episode of stargate to even post valid information in this topic.
                            Oh boy.

Look kid, I guess people having different opinions from you is hard to believe? Because that happens in the real world, a LOT.

I'd get used to it if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                              SO for those of you that disagree with my statement you are honestly saying that the first 8 Seasons which well in my opinion include episodes like Torment of Tantalus and the 5th Race and many others i will soon watch are less or equal to season 9+10?

The main reason i watch SG1 is because it is thrilling and fun to explore new things or to at least watch what COULD be out there. But there is an extent to that. THere is an extent to our imaginations. We can all imagine a bad guy out there i mean there has to be a bad race somewhere in space. A stargate that can travel between worlds... Hey! why not? Space ships and aliens creatures hey im all for it.... Ascended beings with infinite knowledge (Yes i know its not entirely infinite) with 1 goal which is to destroy or convert all life in our Galaxy? Uhhh no thanks.

Not to mention if you have actually watched EVERY episode which most of you probobly havent you can see a distinct difference between seasons 1-8 and 9/10. It focuses less on the stargate, exploration of different worlds and above all else discovering things we never knew like a galactic alliance of 4 great races and the meaning of life. Season 9 and 10 is nothing but a bunch of space fights and other BS. If i wanted to watch space fights i would tune into star trek or BG.
                              First off I'd be very carefull with your assumptions. I have watched every single episode dozens of times including seasons 9 and 10. I never remember saying seasons 1-8 were less good than seasons 9 and 10. Read some of my other posts and you'll find this, I have said that I have loved every season and enjoy every episode including, Space Race, Emancipation, Bane, Citzen Joe, Affinity to name a few even tgough they arent as good as, Tokra,Lost City, Reconing, Threads to name a few. I find each season has good episodes and great episodes, and I have yet to find an aweful episode. Seasons 9 and 10 were a huge step forward IMHO as the writers thought the show was ensing in season 8 so they ended every major plot and had to come up with a new enemy and I think they have done a supurb job. If you don't like it there is one simple thing to do. Don't watch.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X