This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCI FI Channel coming to Australia!

Yes you read right! Australia is FINALLY getting a SCI FI Channel! It will be launched on 1st December this year (on foxtel, austar and optus vision) so spread the word folks! For more information visite the official website: http://www.scititv.com.au

Line Up:

Last edited by isis2381ice; 22 October 2006, 03:41 PM. Reason: To add more information

Originally posted by isis2381ice
    Yes you read right! Australia is FINALLY getting a SCI FI Channel! It will be launched on 1st December this year (on foxtel, austar and optus vision) so spread the word folks!
    Great news. But there's almost no point if SciFi isn't airing new eps of SG-1. But at least you will have Atlantis.

Comment

Aussies like me have been fighting to get a SCI FI Channel for years so even though yes it is sad that Season 10 is the last season of SG-1 (at this stage) I am still very excited about finally getting a SCI FI Channel here. Besides as you mentioned there is still Atlantis not to mention BSG & The 4400 (among others).

Comment

If they could guarantee to show things within weeks of their US screenings then it is a great idea, even if just for those who already have Foxtel... but I doubt that will happen. I don't care for much of the other scifi out there, Doctor Who wouldn't leave the ABC and the others like BSG/4400 don't interest me at all.

For me it is an added expense I really can't afford. I think it costs around 50 bucks a month here for the basic channels *package* already. I would rather upgrade my broadband *for obvious reasons* then pay that much for repeats of shows.

Still I guess some people have that kind of money.... just not me.

Comment

At this stage I doubt that they could guarantee to show programs within a few weeks of the US screening but nevertheless for those of us that do have foxtel or can afford to get foxtel I think it’s important to support this channel to prove to TPTB that it was and is a good idea to have a dedicated scifi channel in Australia. Besides who knows what the future will bring as Channel Ten managed to air Jericho within hours of the US screening so hopefully more stations/programs will follow suit. In any case it’s a good place to start

Comment

Unfortunately not much use to me as I'm not going to get Pay TV just to get Scifi... unless we can get it as separate package.
            Don't care for wrestling though.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I just found some more information from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci_Fi_...28Australia%29

As quoted from the site:

The Sci Fi Channel Australia is the first Science Fiction Channel on Australian Television. It will be available to Foxtel & Austar subscribers from December 1st 2006. It will be avilable on Channel 132 via Foxtel Digital, Austar Digital, and Optus TV. It will be available to subscribers on the “Laughter & Living” and “My Escape” package tiers and as an a-la-carte channel.
              Sci Fi will broadcast popular series including hit new series such as Medium and The 4400, plus all of the Star Trek franchise television series (original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise), Stargate, Stargate SG -1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Gallactica, Babylon 5, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.

Comment

i haven't read this entire post, because i am short in time and have to go to work in like a minute. The main question is, will SCIFI Australia be behind in scheduling SCIFI America. Ie, if Battlestar Shows on SCIFI America, will we get it that same week? or will we have to wait?

Thanks
                Aussie

Comment

Well going by wikipedia it does look positive...

Comment

OMG, finally Foxtel have decided to do something positive and actually have a dedicated SciFi Channel, Hopefully it does some justice and show the new episodes within a few days of airing in the US.
                    <sarcasm> Listen kiddies, everything you believe to be true is wrong and trust us because we've been here for almost an hour. <sarcasm> Dr. McKay (Childhood's End)

Comment

Is this a branch of the US company, or a new group with the same name?

Anyway, sounds promising...
                      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

How long before you get wrestling?
                        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Do you mean the WWE Silence? I'm not really a fan of that but my sister is so I asked her and she has advised me that its already showing on Fox 8 at the following days/times:

WWE Raw: Wednesdays @ 3.30pm & Saturdays @ 12pm
                          WWE Smackdown: Fridays @ 3.30pm

MB according to wikipedia they are unrelated but check out the wikipedia link in a previous post in this thread for further details.

Comment

Do you mean the WWE Silence? I'm not really a fan of that but my sister is so I asked her and she has advised me that its already showing on Fox 8 at the following days/times:

WWE Raw: Wednesdays @ 3.30pm & Saturdays @ 12pm
                            WWE Smackdown: Fridays @ 3.30pm.
                            Yeah, Fox 8 already has wrestling....

MB according to wikipedia they are unrelated but check out the wikipedia link in a previous post in this thread for further details.
                            Ok, will do thanks.
                            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I just found some more information from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci_Fi_...28Australia%29

As quoted from the site:

The Sci Fi Channel Australia is the first Science Fiction Channel on Australian Television. It will be available to Foxtel & Austar subscribers from December 1st 2006. It will be avilable on Channel 132 via Foxtel Digital, Austar Digital, and Optus TV. It will be available to subscribers on the “Laughter & Living” and “My Escape” package tiers and as an a-la-carte channel.
                              Sci Fi will broadcast popular series including hit new series such as Medium and The 4400, plus all of the Star Trek franchise television series (original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise), Stargate, Stargate SG -1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Gallactica, Babylon 5, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.
                              All of those shows on one channel? Now that is something to drool over.....

Comment

Working...
                              X