This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cancellation and Ratings

Here's a controversial take on the ratings decline. The viewing public did not like their religious beliefs challenged. The ORI thread if you think about it made you think about the whole idea of religion and what religion was. When you
    challenge a person's beliefs they get uncomfortable. They don' want to have to
    think for themselves. The don't want to consider the "what ifs".

SG was starting to make people think too much. Making people consider new ideas outside their present system of beliefs and concepts.

I suspect there was a large part of the SG-1 fan base was religious and started tuning the show out. This led to the ratings decline and cancellation.

But that just my opinion.

I doubt many people took the show so seriously. It might have lost a few, but my guess would be that they were a drop in the bucket.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

The religious aspect couldn't have been that big. BSG is full of religion vs. religion, but the show seems to be doing fine. Maybe some hardcore Christians took off, but IMO, if you're that sensitive, you have issues.
      Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Interesting point, and an interesting way of looking at things.
        I do not think that this is the case, but it is a possiilty, thanks for bringing it up.

Comment

i am amazed that scifi would do this to their fans!!! i mean where do they get off just cancelling my stargate sg1? if i'm wrong about the following plz correct me but here i go. i believe that the season 10 finally was a two parter. if this is so then why?! what the hell were they thinking. you can't reasonably end a series with a two parter. then no-one would know what happened in the second half because.... IT WAS NEVER AIRED!!! i am sooo pissed. what about you guys?!
          Carter: i'm working on it sir!!!

Jack: Carter i can see my house!

--------

Sig made by: SueKay

Comment

Originally posted by sammylady
            i am amazed that scifi would do this to their fans!!! i mean where do they get off just cancelling my stargate sg1?
            they can because it's their show, not yours, not mine. they did because it was ten years old, lost 30% of its audience in 1.5 years, and is now averaging a 1.5 (less that ECW and SGA and tied with the premiere of Mansquito, if i remember correctly).
            Originally posted by sammylady
            if i'm wrong about the following plz correct me but here i go. i believe that the season 10 finally was a two parter. if this is so then why?! what the hell were they thinking. you can't reasonably end a series with a two parter. then no-one would know what happened in the second half because.... IT WAS NEVER AIRED!!! i am sooo pissed. what about you guys?!
            The Quest Part 1 is the mid season finale. The Quest Part 2 will be shown, along with the remaining 9 episodes, after the midseason break (6 months).
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
              The Quest Part 1 is the mid season finale. The Quest Part 2 will be shown, along with the remaining 9 episodes, after the midseason break (6 months).
              Yep, and I can't wait to see those last ten episodes. I'm sure they'll be even better than the first ten, which I've loved overall.

And even when Season 10 is over, chances are very good that SG-1 won't be completely over. Talk of TV movies is continuing to grow. I just hope we get some official word on that matter soon.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                Yep, and I can't wait to see those last ten episodes. I'm sure they'll be even better than the first ten, which I've loved overall.

And even when Season 10 is over, chances are very good that SG-1 won't be completely over. Talk of TV movies is continuing to grow. I just hope we get some official word on that matter soon.
                Maybe they pull an X-Files on us (in a good sense) and after these movies: bam, Season 11!
                School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                  Maybe they pull an X-Files on us (in a good sense) and after these movies: bam, Season 11!
                  If the TV movies were to do well enough in the ratings, believe me, I firmly believe that Sci-Fi would reverse their decision about SG-1's cancellation and try and negotiate a Season 11. Not that they even deserve this great show anymore.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Nah, MGM need to get their channel set up in the US and UK and then just deprive Scifi of all productions associated with MGM. MGM have had the power to go it alone for a while, they just seem to want to take their time, which sucks.

PS. Ello Sammy

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Starchild
                      SG was starting to make people think too much. Making people consider new ideas outside their present system of beliefs and concepts.
                      This is Stargate we are talking about. I don't think people read too much in to *subtext* (if any) on Stargate.

Comment

Considering BSG's popularity, no.
                        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                        -Audioslave

Comment

If the TV movies were to do well enough in the ratings, believe me, I firmly believe that Sci-Fi would reverse their decision about SG-1's cancellation and try and negotiate a Season 11. Not that they even deserve this great show anymore.
                          No they don't deserve it. But i am not worried as Sg-1's adventures are far from over.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Besides the fact that they wouldn't deserve it, I'm going to say I would still love the prospect.
                            Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Is the religion theme the reason for the ratings dip? NO--SG-1 has always challanged religions.

I think it was the lack of advertising, the fact that it's really a new show under an old title which drove fans away--they didn't expect the changes.

Also the lack of RDA and the lack of really explaning what happened to the character. He obviously got a promotion, but that was never clear to the fans.

I rember many threads asking what happened to RDA in the begining of season 9. The poor promotion of the show is the real reason for the decline.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                              X