Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multichannel: Stargate SG-1's future in the digital realm?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multichannel: Stargate SG-1's future in the digital realm?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6379001.html

Excerpt:
    Looking for Digital Future
    By Kent Gibbons 10/9/2006

Fans of cancelled Sci Fi Channel series Stargate SG-1 hope Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes Music Store or maybe Amazon.com Inc.'s Unbox will give the show an extended life. They're building support for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.'s to continue the show and sell episodes via those or other pay-per-download outlets. After that, the space-adventure show could appear on international television, be sold on DVD and later air on U.S. broadcast stations now showing older episodes in syndication.Fans paid $6,940 for a full-page ad in the Sept. 29 Variety urging calls and letters to Sci Fi executives. But one campaign organizer says she doesn't seriously expect that network to reverse course and air new one-hour episodes after the current season ends next year.“But we do expect [new episodes] to 'air' on iTunes, Amazon Unbox, Google Video, Virgin Digital and all the other readily accessible online download services, followed by the usual-suspect broadcasters overseas,” Alison Butler, co-owner of the SaveStargateSG1.com Web site, said in an e-mail exchange from England. “We expect new Stargate SG-1 episodes to be made available on DVD with a kid-at-Christmas array of extra features — from cast commentaries to 'director's cut' extended episodes — to make this additional purchase a worthwhile one,” she said in her e-mail. “We also expect that new episodes would in time air on U.S. television in syndication.”Sci Fi's response, via spokeswoman Lana Kim: ...

*Click on link above for the full text*

as well as results of the survey!

*crosses fingers*

It is awesome that it is getting this kind of coverage. I really hope MGM reads this and takes it to heart. I would most definitely buy the season on iTunes and then buy the DVD all over again! And I don't think I'm unique. Have DVD sales of BSG suffered from being on iTunes? No. What about the other shows? Not at all. So there is no worry here either.

Comment

“But we do expect [new episodes] to 'air' on iTunes, Amazon Unbox, Google Video, Virgin Digital and all the other readily accessible online download services, followed by the usual-suspect broadcasters overseas,”
      F*** that, I will not buy episodes from Google Video or Virgin Digital. I will only buy episodes from iTunes because I can get iTunes Music Cards from a lot of stores in my area. Okay Amazon I can live will because I have an account with them (so I can buy stuff for myself).

And for the record, I own an iPod, my only video-capable MP3 player, and I can only buy from iTunes. Then I can watch Stargate on the Go and not only on my computer.
      Last edited by NowIWillDestroyAbydos; 07 October 2006, 03:11 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Interesting list of desires.

I do wonder how many of the actors will stick around if it becomes (pretty much) download only. It's one thing working on a show on a niche network, but quite another thing locking yourself in to working on no network at all. Even if they take bit parts on other shows they might decide that is better for their careers in the long run.

And I expect the budget will be cut as well, because I honestly can't see enough regular downloaders to make it viable at its current production budget.

Comment

How can people behind a fan run website 'expect' new episodes to be downloaded on iTunes?

Comment

According the Sci-Fi Channel response (from the above article, refer link in the first post of this thread); their response to a digital future for STARGATE SG-1 & the Save Stargate SG-1 campaign was this :

[qoute]Sci Fi's response, via spokeswoman Lana Kim: “The trade ad is a testament to the passionate loyalty that Stargate engenders. Sci Fi is proud to extend the franchise with a brand new season of [spinoff] Stargate Atlantis and we continue to work with MGM to seek out new opportunities in the Stargate universe.”[/qoute]

Seems to be quite a reversal from Mark 'Stargate killer' Stern's early comments on the future of SG-1. Quite frankly, I hope MGM ditches Skiffy & tell them to shove their precious programming firmly up their mik'ta's. :angry:

This 'about face' - whilst meant well & as a in/direct result of the work from the SaveStargateSg1.com campaign & other peitions, etc - is disgusting & pathetic. They have behaved like children (Mark Stern's dummy-spit about STARGATE SG-1 not being allowed to show on any other TV station but his, etc) & now that the pressure is on, they about face & say hopw proud they are to keep STARGATE going on some form or another & that they are looking for new oppertunities to expand the STARGATE universe with MGM? I say MGM moves on to better & bolder things as far as the STARGATE franchise is concerned.

Chris Cohen take note : Sci-fi have screwed you over & shown exactly how 'loyal' they are, both to MGM, the fans, cast/crew & all those involved in the making of STARGATE SG-1. They totally embarrased & himulated your company in full public view & have used bully-tactics, sweet talk & intimidation to get what they want. This is not how any business should be run, nor people, should be treated. Ditch Sci-Fi- Channel & go it alone : I for one will support you all the way!!

YES, we are all greatful SGA is still on T.V. & all & we would like to see a Seaon 11, Stargate Command, or T.V. mini-series/movie(s); but the WAY in which Sci-Fi has cancelled STARGATE SG-1 & have behaved overall totally infurates & disgusts me (not to mention the defamatory comments made by a certain person from a certain show about Sg-1 which Sci-Fi seems to loves so much. . .). Just goes to show you that little bully's grow up to be big corperate bullies whom go on to manage crap networks that make crap programming & poor decisions (are we seeing a pattern here anyone? ). . .

Now, IMHO, I would buy a Season 11 on DVD, watch it on TV & download it off iTunes if it were available here in Australia & internationally through the internet.

As for fans 'excepting' iTunes to run new epsidoes (Season 11) of STARGATE SG-1; it is all about making a positive statement & putting the right kind of pressure on the right people. If we say we 'except' them to do something & we are willing to go to extreme lenghts to get it & be willing to pay to get what we want; then if reaffirms our desire & sincere beleif to see it happen on the 'big wigs' end of things. We can demand & shout & beg & plead all we want; but in the end, some decisions are out of our hands - all we can do is hope we're heard loud & clear enough to have certain decisions influenced enough so that they fall in our favour. Having said this, we are also realists : we may not get what we want (a Seaon 11 of SG-1 or a re-branded show, etc); but how do we know we wouldn't if we don't at least try?

Comment

I see no about face in Sci Fi's response. They've been pretty consistant in their desire to continue to work with MGM on the Stargate franchise - as shown by their willingness to continue with SGA.
              There is no mention of SG-1 in the response, so anything previously said in direct relation to the continuing of SG-1 as a series is moot.

And if you are referring to the BSG actor's quote. Defamatory, in this case, is in the eye of the beholder. I read that entire article and no putting down of Stargate by the actors can be seen by me (only from the journo behind the article).

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              How can people behind a fan run website 'expect' new episodes to be downloaded on iTunes?
              I find it a strange article to say the least. Essentially it's an list of hopes from a fan. It doesn't come from anyone with the power to make it happen. The closest it comes to being of any use is that MGM are trying to work out if the viability of downloading completely new shows will impact their DVD sales.
              I really don't see why Multichannel News have given so much credence to it. Fans "expecting" something to happen isn't news. Plenty of fans of various shows want all sorts of things which aren't considered news.
              If it was MGM openly talking about the possibility that's a whole different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                There is no mention of SG-1 in the response, so anything previously said in direct relation to the continuing of SG-1 as a series is moot.
                Very true. That and if MGM was serious about taking a new season to another US station. It is possible. MGM would just have to pay to break the non-compete clause that Sci Fi has in their contract. Wave enough money at them and Sci Fi will sign.

I think MGM is more serious about TV miniseries or Movie than they are about a season 11 or they would be negotiating with Sci Fi to break the contract. And right now they’d be trying to line up a new investor to plug in the money that Sci Fi currently does. That takes time. I think we would have heard something by now especially how diligently fans have been searching for news one way or the other.

Fans "expecting" something to happen isn't news. Plenty of fans of various shows want all sorts of things which aren't considered news.
                If it was MGM openly talking about the possibility that's a whole different matter.
                I’ll agree that article was strange.

And I’m with you questioning exactly how much money would an investor put up front for downloadable episodes? How much of a budget would this show have to work with and would the current actors go for it? Like you said Smurf: It’s one thing working on a series on a small cable network quite another to be working for no network at all.
                Last edited by Crow T. Robot; 08 October 2006, 05:09 AM.
                Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Although MGM keeps being cast as the poor victim of the situation, I have no doubt that it is well within their finances (for the company as a whole) to cover the whole amount if they wanted to. The fact that they are quite openly looking towards mini-series/movies is testament to the fact they are not interested, or consider it not financially worthwhile, to chase the possibility of another season.
                  As Sci Fi themselves have said, they would be interested if it was cheaper for them. Since no talk of fee reduction is being spread around, MGM seems to believe that even a slight increase on their side is not worthwhile.

Interesting to note that of the respondents to the SaveStargateSG1 poll 85.7% would buy the whole season, while on the front page of GW a similar poll runs to 57%.
                  Acknowledging, of course, that both polls are not going to be 100% accurate , and ignoring how clicking a button on a poll is not a legal requirement to actually buy the show. It is interesting the difference between the more fanatical (that's probably not the right word, but I can't think of a better one right now) fan, and the more general Stargate fan.
                  I wonder how much lower the numbers would go if the casual fans were asked as well.

It would be interesting to know how much of the iTunes $1.99 MGM actually gets. If, say, they got half of that, and Sci Fi currently pays for half the costs then they need 1,000,000 downloaders to match their current budget.

Comment

Acknowledging, of course, that both polls are not going to be 100% accurate , and ignoring how clicking a button on a poll is not a legal requirement to actually buy the show. It is interesting the difference between the more fanatical (that's probably not the right word, but I can't think of a better one right now) fan, and the more general Stargate fan.
                    My estimate of the numbers would be much lower. Remember cross posting on both polls and the pool of voters their pulling the numbers from. Neither GW or SaveStarGate I would call qualify as unbiased voters for a objective poll. Taking those factors in to account. That would knock the numbers down. That and fans say “Yes” about paying for downloadable episodes now but coughing up the money might be a whole other story.

It would be interesting to know how much of the iTunes $1.99 MGM actually gets. If, say, they got half of that, and Sci Fi currently pays for half the costs then they need 1,000,000 downloaders to match their current budget.
                    Since MGM is looking in to this possibly hurting their DVD sales I’m betting it’s not much.
                    Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Working...
                    X