This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sci Fi Channel Stuff

When Sci Fi channel first started they had stuff like Anime Saturdays, Sci Fi News bullteins that were short stories, and of course, Mystery Science Theater 3000. What happened to all that stuff? Do you guys remember anything else? That stuff was genius! Now all I see are 'Mansquito' movies. Or "Savage Planet", otherwise known as "Attack of the Bears".

I know, they also had some good original seris like Mission Genesis, Farscape, The Cronicle, The Invisible Man,
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Ah the good ol' days. They also used to show the original Star Trek. *sighs*
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

What happened? Hammer and Stern took it over.
        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
        -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
          What happened? Hammer and Stern took it over.
          Yes and they make horridly bad choices

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
            You'll get no argument here.
            sigpic

Comment

Mystery Science Theater 3000 ended mainly because of the "rights" issue and they can't even show reruns. To quote PravilnyeMuzh's post on the matter:

When they started, they got the rights to show these cr*ppy movies for a song. Since MST3K became a hit, though, the people who own these cr*ppy movies want cashy money to show them on MST3K. Plus, I understand that the original contracts covered showing the films just once, maybe twice in a season. If they want to show a rerun from season 3, for example, they'll have to renegotiate the contract, and as I noted, now these people want cashy money for the privledge of having someone make fun of their movie.
              The SFC only showed anime movies...while they were good to great examples of anime, the SFC missed the opportunity to create their own "Adult Oriented" anime midnight time block 9 years before the Cartoon Network decided to create "Adult Swim". Too bad, there are so many SF and adult oriented animes out there too with complex and long story arcs and rich characters that put many scripted dramas to shame. Could be having to do the english voice-overs and finding voice actors had something to do with it. The licensing fees can't be that high since the CN airs many of the higher rated anime shows.

The "B" movies people are complaining about is a return to Universal's roots, where they were the king of the "B" movies or Saturday Matinees and the 50's and 60's Drive-In movies. It's an opportunity for up-and-coming writers and directors to pitch their ideas and make a movie. IF Universal is lucky, a couple of gems could be found that might turn into a series of movies or become a franchise for the studio.

What's often overlooked is that these very movies are winning their Saturday time slot against the national networks and/or at the very least, attracting a sizible audience from the "coveted 18-49 age group" that advertisers want to reach and are willing to pay higher ad rates.

For $1 or 2 million a movie, the SFC can have something new on Saturday's every week and fill up 2 hours of programming. Since most people are out and about Sat nights, these "B" movies are considered by the industry as a business success story. Saturday's has been long considered a programming "black hole" and you won't see a hit show like "Lost", for instance, being placed there and showing 1st run episodes. So don't expect these "B" movies to disappear anytime soon.
              It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I loved MST3000....was wondering why no re-runs.

Is there a reason not to re-run IM?
                Chicago Con Attendee 2011
                Chicago Con Attendee 2010
                GateCon Attendee 2008
                Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

Originally posted by pisces27
                  Is there a reason not to re-run IM?
                  The SFC used to run IM on it's daytime block on rare occasions, but I think IM is in syndication...FOX or WB maybe...so they have the broadcast rights for however long the contract is. Check your local Saturday morning/afternoon listings.

Too bad the series was cancelled. It was well written, good plots, solid actors/acting, and the characters were likeable and had a lot of chemistry between them. Rumors say there were cost/funding issues and internal bickering between the SFC and its then owner/parent company, USA Networks that led to its cancellation.

IM, Farscape, and Lexx was a pretty good SciFi Friday block of shows. Of the 3 shows, Lexx got to write its own ending on the writers terms (it's 4th and final season). But Lexx was more of a cult show..."LEXX seemed to delight in confounding fans at every turn, veering wildly between drama, comedy, satire, and plenty of kinky sex."
                  It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                    That's putting it mildly IMO.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      That's putting it mildly IMO.
                      I agree, It seem I watch the channel less and less with each one, One hour on tuesday, and 4 on friday, after that only if they look like the movie will be interesting, though now with thme taking SG-1 off I might watch even less.

I also miss anime they could have a big audience .......................

Comment

I used to watch Sci-Fi a lot back in the day when it had MST3000, Sliders, Star Trek TOS and all that other good stuff. Now I only watch it for the Gates and BSG.
                        sigpic

Comment

When the station first broadcast, it was not scrambled. I watched as it started up. Dedications and all. They used to have creative little movies to advertise the channel. Make believe news updates. Lots of neat things. It was an exciting time.
                          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                          Individuality is freedom lived.
                          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

At least they still have classics like Quantum Leap but even thats pretty hard to find on their air schedule these days.
                            sigpic

Comment

Your 'old' Sci Fi channel sounds a bit like our new one...we get the odd made-up news report and classic trek.

Other than that however, it's endless reruns of Roswell, Angel and V The Miniseries, though they advertise shows (like the Dead Zone, Medium and Dead Like Me) that I don't think are ever actually on...

(I'm in Scotland btw)
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                              X