X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great News! - MGM: Lion flexes TV muscles

Originally posted by John Dempsey, Variety.com, 6 September 2006
    MGM has reanimated its dormant TV division, promoting Jim Packer to the new post of President of the MGM Worldwide TV Distribution Group.In an interview, Rick Sands, chief operating officer of MGM and Packer’s boss, said “We want to control our own destiny in television distribution. There is so much upside to the expansion of cable and satellite, the growth of video-on-demand, and the fact that telephone companies are spending tens of billions of dollars to get programming into people’s homes.”

The international marketplace for TV series is humming, said Sands. One of the two key series in the MGM catalogue for foreign sale is “Stargate SG-1,” which racked up more than 200 episodes before the Sci Fi Channel canceled it last month.

Sands also said Packer’s mandate is to “expand our business by planting the flag” with wholly owned 24/7 cable networks under the umbrella title MGM Channel in foreign countries around the globe.
    Link to Full Story in Variety
    Link to Discussion at SaveStargateSG1.com

This sounds like our best hope so far!

If MGM releases Stargate through it's own channel, then they will have direct control over renewing it or not. Yes, this may mean we in the states have to wait longer, but I for one am more than willing to wait a little while longer as opposed to getting nothing at all.

Let's show our support for NEW Stargate SG-1 on MGM !

Allow me to say...SWEET!!

The tide is turning.

Comment

Wow, first the Alliance game may not actually be cancelled...and now this?! Has everything bad that's recently happened to Stargate suddenly been reversed? If so, then "", indeed.

Though it's pretty weird that it took almost a month for someone to find this...(look at the date on the article)

Comment

Hmmm, interesting.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

they said under the umbrella title MGM Channel in foreign countries around the globe. so not in the us

even if it is in the us there contract with scifi says that they can't show sg-1 on us tv,so nothing has changed

Comment

Originally posted by belgian
            they said under the umbrella title MGM Channel in foreign countries around the globe. so not in the us

even if it is in the us there contract with scifi says that they can't show sg-1 on us tv,so nothing has changed
            Except there could be new episodes of SG-1 out there for you to obtain by other means (like on DVD or iTunes).

Comment

Stargate SG-1 MAY be shown in foreign countries(as an Australian STARGATE fan, I am not opposed to that Note also it states we 'may' see SG-1 outside the US on MGM's own channel, not 'will') under the unbrella title MGM Channel (hell, I am writing FOXTEL to get this new channel ASAP for crying out loud! ); but this doesn't proclude MGM from rebranding the franchise to STARGATE COMMAND (As they were originally intending) - which, IMHO, I personally think would be a good idea to break it away from the Sci-fi Channel for good - which would allow MGM to show it on US TV.

Don't forget there's also iTunes, Amazon UnBoxed, etc; so the options & methods of delivery for anything to do with STARGATESG-1 in the future seem, by all accounts (at least IMHO), to be great & varied indeed.

So don't frett, the future looks bright & there's still hope for STARGATE SG-1, STARGATE : The Alliance & the entire STARGATE franchise yet; & so long as we, the fans, help support the franchise as whole & show our loyalty to the program, I am sure MGM will work something out.

Here's for being realistic, but optomistically hopefully!!

Comment

This is brilliant! MGM screwed scifi over royally, heres to Stargate and james bond marathons in the near and ever wonderfull future thats emerging!
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

amazon, itunes and dvds have nothing to do with this, MGM Channel or not

and for foreign countries, it is already in foreign countries what do i care wheter it be mgm channel or sky or ...

STARGATE COMMAND can be shown on scifi or anny other channel

and i am also optomistically about the future of stargate, i just wanted to tell you guys that this news in my opinion is neiter positive or negative

Comment

Once SG1 finishes season 10, the contract with Sci Fi expires, and MGM will have full control again.

For legal reasons they may still need to take a breather before putting the show back on air, but I think if they commission new episodes, Sci Fi will know better than to stop them from airing in the US...that'd be a foolish thing for them to do.

Here's hoping MGM does go ahead with it's TV plan!
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

amazon, itunes and dvds have nothing to do with this, MGM Channel or not

and for foreign countries, it is already in foreign countries what do i care wheter it be mgm channel or sky or ...

STARGATE COMMAND can be shown on scifi or anny other channel

and i am also optomistically about the future of stargate, i just wanted to tell you guys that this news in my opinion is neiter positive or negative
                      I see a potential season 11 where MGM and TPTB wont have to worry about getting screwed over and having complete control over the show as a positive thing. Of course, there are loads of people on this board who see it as negative.

I'd rather have more SG-1 than Stargate Command, and I'm sure if they're starting a new channel they could use an already established show to bring in viewers.

Comment

Well...this shall certainly prove to be interesting.
                        sigpic
                        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Once SG1 finishes season 10, the contract with Sci Fi expires, and MGM will have full control again.
                          then why has scifi and almost everybody on this forum said that in the contract it says that sg-1 is only for scifi not just until the end of the season but forever

Mark Stern already told us won’t happen. SCI FI’s contract, he said flatly, precludes new episodes airing on US television

so again: either amazon or itunes(or other internet outlets) and dvds
                          or a new name(STARGATE COMMAND for example)

Comment

This has nothing to do with Stargate and frankly has nothing to do with anything and you all are so desperet to find anything that means SG-1 will go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
                              This has nothing to do with Stargate
                              An article that specifically mentions Stargate SG-1 has "nothing" to do with Stargate ???

Oreo, you've really lost it there.

Originally posted by Oreo
                              and frankly has nothing to do with anything
                              And I'm now just going to ignore you from this point on...

Everyone, let's make sure to tell MGM that we think NEW SG-1 on their channel is a great idea. The gate is still open!

Comment

Working...
                              X