• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade Gets The Spike (Cancelled)

From the SciFi Wire:

Blade Gets The Spike (Cancelled)

29-SEPTEMBER-06

Spike TV confirmed to SCI FI Wire reports that its original series Blade has been canceled. "Yes, that's true," a Spike representative said in an interview on Sept. 29. "It won't be renewed for a second season. I can tell you that Spike TV was very happy with the creative part of Blade. The cast, the actual production. We absolutely enjoyed working with New Line and [ex ecutive producer] David Goyer, [writer] Geoff Johns. But honestly, the network was disappointed with the audience turnout and the ratings. But I can tell you that New Line is going to be issuing a DVD of the entire season." No date was announced for the DVD.

The statement confirmed rumors first posted by co-star Jill Wagner on her MySpace.com page, according to a report on the THEOcracy Web site. The post in which Wagner (Krista Starr) reports the news is only visible to Wagner's friends. The news was also reported on Ain't It Cool News.

The series was quietly put to sleep after the end of its first 13-episode season. The show was based on the Blade movies and the Marvel Comics character, with Kirk "Sticky" Jones playing the title character. Wagner played his counterpart, a former soldier who becomes a vampire but struggles to retain her humanity.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Aw, that sucks (lol). I was hearing such good things about it too.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Moviehole's report on the cancellation:

Blade bites the dust

September 29, 2006

Personally, I thought it sucked more than Jenna Jameson on Prom Night, so I'm not surprised, but nonetheless a few folks will be saddened to hear that Spike TV has cancelled their heavily hyped "Blade the Series".

According to Superhero Hype, the show just wasn't rating.

Jill Wagner, one of the show's stars, told readers of her MySpace page that she's grateful for the opportunity.

"I was informed today that there will be no 2nd season of Blade the series", says Wagner. "I really enjoyed playing Krista and i hope that i did her justice at least for one season! However, that is not the end of Jill Wagner's acting career. I will keep you guys posted on what's next for me. Again i say thanks for the support. Hey, there is always the DVD right????".

Plans for a fourth "Blade" movie, titled "The Nightstalkers" - in which Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel would've reprised their roles from "Blade Trinity" - has also been canned.
      It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

lol

Is anyone shocked by this? Anyone? Bueller?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh, well. Yet another show to mourn.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It's just not worth getting invested in shows anymore. Firefly, Threshold, Blade all cancelled waaaaay before their time (and SG-1 too IMO).

It's a lot worse now since so many shows have adopted a continuing story arc for every episode (like Blade, Lost, 24), so when a show like that gets cancelled, there's no resolution to whatever's been building up over the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
              It's just not worth getting invested in shows anymore. Firefly, Threshold, Blade all cancelled waaaaay before their time (and SG-1 too IMO).

It's a lot worse now since so many shows have adopted a continuing story arc for every episode (like Blade, Lost, 24), so when a show like that gets cancelled, there's no resolution to whatever's been building up over the season.
              Blade wasn't that good.
              Threshold was too repetative after first few eps and it was no surprise....
              Firefly... that one is mistery for me, it was acctually good show.

SG-1 show is cancelled, but MGM and authors stated it will continue in some form (seems like TV movies - my guess is they'll just make 10 TV movies instead of 20 epsiodes, which will get them around the contract with Sci-Fi).
              VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Jonzey is right, too many excellent shows are getting cancelled way too early, but that doesn't mean that we should stop getting into them. If anything we should be more vocal about how much we get invested in shows, to let the stupid network executives know just how much we want the kind of programs that we can let ourselves become invested in. If we stop getting invested in our shows then we lose something that makes us geeks. And then the networks have won.

Crap, I sound like George W. Bush. Sorry.

Comment

Well...Spike doesn't really have anything else going for it so...their loss I guess.
                  sigpic

Comment

Spike has UFC, it's the only thing that rates high for them. It's funny because the only Blade episode that did well was the one that aired after Spike aired the TUF3 finale (which scored the highest number of viewers in the channels history).
                    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Aside from actual viewer numbers and those who actually wrote in supporting the series...
                      anyone sure this cancellation wasn't possibly politically motivated..?
                      (joking here!)
                      like the Sci-Fi channel got jealous from all the praise BLADE was getting and got Blade off, even if it is on a different night and network channel than BSG.

teasing... blame it on BSG's jealousy for this...
                      neck and neck on the "R" vs. PG viewing scale,
                      BSG and BLADE are / were about the same.

I think Blade may have had many Buffy/Angel viewers watching and supporting it. So, if that's true, the ratings should have been higher, because Buffy had a very high audience viewership (some of them who are more mature enough now to actually see BLADE). And if not those folks, then many of the original "Dark Shadows" TV teeny boppers (now older), Anne Rice and (the more *romantic*) Chelsea Quinn Yarbro readers tuned in to watch BLADE, as well, even if only out of curiosity.

Comment

Next week on Blade:

Someone pisses Blade off (cancelled).

Rarrrrrr! <snarl>.
                        Frak! --Apollo
                        Frak you. --Cain
                        FRAK Me! --Kat
                        frakwit! --Tyrol
                        B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
                          Spike has UFC, it's the only thing that rates high for them. It's funny because the only Blade episode that did well was the one that aired after Spike aired the TUF3 finale (which scored the highest number of viewers in the channels history).
                          Yeah, UFC. Thats it. Spike will never have original quality programming.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well i just like to say that i love spike tv.

Secondly hated the show, loved Jill wagner

goes Back to watching those Mercury commercials

Comment

Blade: The Series was excellent. Sad to see it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X