This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sci-fi channel truly sucks!

Okay, my posts are not always the most popular around here, hehe, but it occurred to me today...well, it's occurred to me many times in the past over the last few years, but today, it hit me strong: the Sci-fi channel needs to hire fresh staff to revive the channel before it becomes an even bigger piece of reeking poo.

When I was in elementary school and middle school, the sci-fi channel was the coolest channel on cable. I mean, I wasn't around back in the 70s and 80s when shows like Buck Rogers, Battlestar Gallactica, V, and others were on. I never saw them until they played on the sci-fi chan. I remember coming home from school and watching buck rogers followed by battlestar gallactica and then twilight zone and then ST:TOS. I mean, they played GOOD shows. They didn't overplay them. They broke them up and played cool shows on the weekends and evenings. During the day, they played old movies or other sci-fi series like Lost in Space or some weird ones from teh 60s and 70s that i never heard of like Land of Giants and some underwater one and one about witches and one about vampires.

It was really cool to see those old shows and learn about them.

What do we have now? Let's see, ALL day MOnday, they play some crap called "roar" and all day Wednesday they play SLIDERS all day, which is cool, but they play the SAME episodes over and over! It's like they only own the rights to a few episodes! waht the hell!

Even Stargate Mondays: They have played Jolinar's memories, nemesis, and other episodes to death, but never play season 3, 4, or 6!

Do I even have to mention their "original" movies? You know, things like:

- Tripping the Rift ( a piece of crap)
    - Scare tactics (ya, this scares me)
    - Crossing Over with John Edwards ("I'm sensing that someone in this room has lost a loved one or had diarrhea")
    - Boa vs. Python (Dr. McKay was actually in that!)
    - Snakehead Terror
    - Lexx

They create Farscape, which wasn't half bad, and what do they do but cancel it? To replace it with Mad, Mad, Mad House or Tripping the Rift?

Dude, whoever is the program director for Sci-fi needs to be fired in bad way.

Plus, the commercials? We're sci-fi fans, but what do they play?

1) Enzyte commercials for old guys who can't pop wood (most of us are teens/20s/30s and have no prob with this!!!)
    2) chaser for those pesky hangovers (well, heh, okay this might ok)
    3) ditech commercials (um, no...)
    4) Mickey Rooney selling Garden State life insurance
    AND...if they have an original movie or series thingy, they play a commerical for it EVERY commerical spot! EVERY commercial spot. I hate it!

If i ran sci-fi, this is what I would do:

1) stop making lame movies and series
    2) stop the all-day crap; play different shows at different times, not 20 start treks in a row
    3) invest into buying the rights for old and newer sci-fi series: planet of the apes, space 1999, b-star gallactica, buck rogers, sliders, V, V: The Final Battle, etc. Start playing these shows at night and on the weekends, or in the morning before classes.
    4) I would also play some cool movies on the weekends and on thursday nights and stuff. I loved "The Nutty Professor" with Eddie Murphy, cuz it was funnier than hell, but is it really sci-fi material? HELL NO!

They could play ALien, Aliens, Alien Resurrection, Predator, Body Snatchers, Planet of the Apes, Robocop, Terminator, whatever..but Sci-fi movies.

Anway, Sci-fi channel, you really need to do some self examination, because right now, you make me freakin' sick!

Does anyone else agree with me on this, or am I wrong YET AGAIN

What do you guys think?

Jared/Lord Anubis

i tottally agree with everything you said (except the bit about "Roar" sucking cause i love that show) ive been saying the same thing for years now! half the stuff the show isnt even sci-fi anymore! horror and science fiction are to entirely different genres but the insist on playing stupid horor movies. there are hundreds and hundreds of sci-fi movies the could play but why horror and reality crap all the time? even if they can't afford the rights to some of the bigger ones there are still hundreds of good, fun to watch B sci-fi movies they could play! and dont even get me started on them playing "The Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas"! whatever genius that decided that was sci-fi and that they need to play it all the time better hope I never meet him. the programing people that decide what they are gonna play really need to go down to their local video store and look on the sci-fi rack. then maybe they will remember what it is they are supposed to be playing!

Comment

Well, if you want a nitpicky remark: you failed to mention they aired Braveheart once.

I'd hate 'em too except they're airing PK Wars.

Comment

I'm going to move this to the off-topic folder since it really doesn't pertain to Stargate per se. Oh, and as for Stargate Mondays, they go in chronological order seasons 1-5 so they haven't played any one season more than the other. But I agree about most of the original programming. Bleh.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis' newfound success will help the network. More people will be willing to put their shows on SciFi considering SG's new found rating scores.

Mad Mad House was generally better than most reality TV shows. I didn't like it though mainly because I don't like reality TV. The commercials are a little weird, but a few of them are funny, like the one with the little girl and the jack-in-the-box.

Stargate Monday works like that because it's going in order. They'll eventually show Season 3 and 4 soon.

They cannot show season 6 until it gets out of syndication, which is soon. They might change their schedule to start showing Seaso 6.
          Vae Victus - Livy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
            Stargate SG1 and Atlantis' newfound success will help the network. More people will be willing to put their shows on SciFi considering SG's new found rating scores.

Mad Mad House was generally better than most reality TV shows. I didn't like it though mainly because I don't like reality TV. The commercials are a little weird, but a few of them are funny, like the one with the little girl and the jack-in-the-box.

Stargate Monday works like that because it's going in order. They'll eventually show Season 3 and 4 soon.

They cannot show season 6 until it gets out of syndication, which is soon. They might change their schedule to start showing Seaso 6.
            I totally forgot to mention their non-commerical Sci-fi chan "IF...scI-Fi" commercials like you described. Get some new ones.

The only good mini-series they did was "Taken". I didn't like the new battlestar gallactica!

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
              I totally forgot to mention their non-commerical Sci-fi chan "IF...scI-Fi" commercials like you described. Get some new ones.

The only good mini-series they did was "Taken". I didn't like the new battlestar gallactica!
              I agree, I didn't like the new Battlestar either.
              Vae Victus - Livy

Comment

GOOD:
                SG1
                SGA
                New BSG
                Cube
                Farscape
                Farscape Peacekeeper Wars

BAD:
                Everything else.

All their movies suck. Except CUBE, and the stargate movie. Other than that...everything else just sucks.

Raptor Island!? What is that ****!? Its a JP rip off!!

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I like the all day marathons, tuesday, the played Buck Rodgers and I had never seen that show ever And I got to see plenty of them. Its such a great show, and I got to see 4 or 5 episodes of it.

Perfecto!

Comment

yeah sci-fi does have problems with their movies and original serieses...but only thanks to them we still have SG1 and now Atlantis, plus Farscape was good! Battlestar Galactica was also pretty good! Dune and Children Of Dune - those are the best! And they show stuff like Star Trek TOS, which is hard to find, origianl Battlestar Galactica form time to time, and Quantum Leap...and sometimes i can even watch their movies, but it's awesome that they alos show stuff like Resident Evil and Jurasick Park

Comment

Bring back FarScape, B5, SAAB, Firefly... I could go on

Comment

Since i wasn't too much of a fan of Farscape or any other show before SG was on the network, i can't say anything about how the network sucks, but i can say that scifi sure does have good in mini-series', i am really interested in those, such as Taken and Dune movies. I am also happy they show movies, although some corny and cheezy that are just fun to watch just to make fun of, i still like to watch them
                        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                          Since i wasn't too much of a fan of Farscape or any other show before SG was on the network, i can't say anything about how the network sucks, but i can say that scifi sure does have good in mini-series', i am really interested in those, such as Taken and Dune movies. I am also happy they show movies, although some corny and cheezy that are just fun to watch just to make fun of, i still like to watch them

Its probably for the best, any original show that has aired on Scifi has been cancelled, usually before it finishes its first season. Atlantis looks like it ought to break the cycle, but with Scifi...well, you never can be sure.

Comment

The movies they show wouldn't bother me if they showed old B Sci Fi movies like from MST3K. Those are the CLASSICS! None of these new movies compare to them. I mean, haven't they played out the "larger than life snake/bugs/ aquatic creature" plot? Some of the all day marathons are good if they would play episodes in order and not completely at random. Especially when they show only one part of a two part episode.

And the commercials they show are so annoying! I'm sick of Bob! "This is Bob... Bob is doing well, VERY WELL..." I swear I have that memorized!

I was mad when they took of MST3K- I would get up EARLY Saturday to watch that show, which is basically a miracle for me. And they took off Dark Shadows... that was a good show too.
                            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

LordAnubis, my appendix popped a year ago, but it was kind'a nice as I got to watch cable TV for two weeks. Anywho, I finally got to see the sci-fi channel, but all they did was play SG-1, Star Trek, and scary movies, most of which I've seen before. Where was all the sci-fi shows that I've heard so much about? Well, they weren't on SCIFI!

What is it with all-day marathons anyway? Do they really think someone has five hours to spare?

Comment

Working...
                              X