Why is there no tanks in SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there no tanks in SG?

why do the sg teams never use any forms of transportation like an atv or gocart?

It would make the show go too quick.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dotus5
      It would make the show go too quick.
      Bigger vehicles probably wouldn't get through the gate to well. Plus, the Goa'uld tend to build their stuff right by the Stargates, so it's not necessary to go far.

a time to mourn

Comment

i think you could fit vehicles through the gate without a problem, the problem would be you coudn't get things like Tanks into the gate room.

the SGC probably has a cargo elevator for large equipment and that could be used for motorbikes or quads but unless there was a stargate outside, there is no way larger things like tanks or jeeps could fit through the corriders and the doors to get to the gate room

sigpic

Comment

You could probably make reasonably effective use of tanks from an offworld base, so long as you had a good big space in front of the Gate for manoeuvring.

The main problem with using vehicles is that they started it in Stargate: Infinity; any use of it in SG-1 would just induce flashback.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Most of the planets they travel to have no roads, just trails, if even that. Notice how most of the planets also have fairly dense forests?

They don't have gas stations, so you'd have to bring fuel with you. If you break down far from the gate, that means extra parts, someone who knows how to fix your ATV, tools, and so on. That's a support team.

Also, what happens if you're cruising around on your ATV, and a death glider spots you before you spot it? Death caused by lack of cover.

Vehicles sound cool, but SG-1 is a recon group. They go to a planet, check out the local area for hostiles, resources, or technology, and then report back. If they find something, they send another team for further investigation.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

What about that mobile gun platform thingy we sometimes see? The one bolted onto the top of a tacked MALP?

I suppose another reason we don't see many vehicles, is the question of size. It's not so much getting a tank into Cheyenne Mountain, as getting it to fit through the Stargate - which is only 16ft across at its widest point (I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Mind you, I suppose if you were to fold the main rotors into their storage position, you could probably fit an RAH-66 Super Comanche attack helicopter through the gate...

Wouldn't that be fun? As we say in my part of the world - "Tongs ya bas! You're claimed!"
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

You can always build a factory in an off-world base or have Prommie ship them to the bases. If you want tank support, you would call them instead of SGC.

Of course, the biggest obstacle is the show's budget. Asking for vehicles from the American or Canadian govt. to appear on a TV show requires a lot paperwork. Building realistic models is out of their budget, but I believe Hollywood already has some though shipping them up to Vancouver is a pain either way.

Comment

the SGTC has a nice article on vehicle feasbillity:
                  www.stargate-tech.net/esy/vehicles.htm

Read and learn my friend, read and learn
                  Last edited by Crazedwraith; 27 November 2004, 01:55 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                    the SGTC has a nice article on vehicle feasbillity:
                    www.stargate-tech.net/esy/vehicles.html

Read and learn my friend, read and learn
                    Yes. Clearly the vehicles are no use if the page can not be found
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Well I always figured that if they 'really' needed larger vehicles that they could use the same loading crane they used to bring in and take out the Stargate high atop Cheyenne Mountain.

But I think that the premise is that each or most of the SG teams are recon teams. Now each team can be outfitted with different gear for different missions but if you're going in hot it doesn't make sense to try and ship an Apache or Hind that would have to be set up on the other side. ATV's and the like make WAY too much noise for a recon mission, not to mention the fear they may invoke in the locals which is something you don't want if you are trying to align yourselves with human decendants.

When it comes to recon the best thing to use is human teams.

When it comes to going into a warzone, you want something to come out of that gate moving. Such as a puddle jumper or one of those 'thread the needle' ships. Hmm, don't know if the X-302's could be modified or not but they might work if they could fit through the gate while moving. I'm not sure of the wingspan of a F-18 or F-16 but with them they are flight tested for our atmospher, doesn't mean they will work exactly the same in other atmospheres. Just because it is breathable to humans doesn't mean that the upper atmosphere would have the same densities as our own. Of course even then the Death Gliders could get higher and come in from above, a perfect attack posture to come in high on your targets six.

Now, . . . what about sending a team through with missle or howitzer support . . . we've seen the missle, the howitzer would only work for things in direct line of site with the gate . . . but it's a thought. Hmm, they do make field nukes that fit into a cannon . . .

Dunno, I figure it's just budget and they've yet to write a script where something like that is called for.

Comment

i like pete

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          Yes. Clearly the vehicles are no use if the page can not be found

Quiet You. Remove the l. The Link in the original is fixed.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

well, a tank is very large and slow so it wouldn't go far when in a fight against a glider. it might be able to shoot one down but several of them flying around, the tank would surely be overpowered.

ATV is cool but what happens if you run out of gas? or spotted?

that goes for gocart. maybe faster than tank and atv but what happens if you run out of gas? and likely to be spotted more since it goes fast.

the reason is to hide from air attacks and to be stealth on foot. you don't want the enemy to know you're coming.

NOTE: SPOILER, PLEASE DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

Spoiler:
                            The SG1 finally has their own transportation in the season finale. its the puddle jumper! WHOOO HOOO. They can go in and out without being seen into the stargate!

Comment

i think tanks would be way to vunerable to goa'uld attack. a blast or two from a heavy staff cannon emplacement would probably take it out. i, too, think that death gliders would just blow em out of their socks, or al'kesh.
                              ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X