This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel Space Shuttle Program Before SG1

I would rather have the space shuttle program cancelled (it would be cheaper and more effective to have it sponsored by private industry - look at what Sir Richard is doing at virgingalactic) than have them cancel SG1.

Look at today's technology and what StarTrek was showing back in the sixties. See any comparison? It is imagination that keeps us growing. Stifle it and stifle space technology.

Sorry...I'd rather that every TV show I watched was cancelled rather than the shuttle program.

I think that yes...Star Trek influenced what scientists have done in the past 40 years, but it's rather presumtious to think that these scientists can't think of these things for themselves.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Because I'm sure a fictional TV show is far more important than real life...

Comment

Maybe it won't be so bad...definately would make them start work (faster work) on the next shuttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Are you trying to say it isn't??
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            I would rather have the space shuttle program cancelled (it would be cheaper and more effective to have it sponsored by private industry - look at what Sir Richard is doing at virgingalactic) than have them cancel SG1.
            The Space Shuttle is 40 years old based on a design that's 50-60 years old. Why are we still flying this thing that's about to fall apart? To be honest, I think we need to start over. Now that we know how to do it, let's create an entirely new space craft, perhaps one that can use conventional plane technology to ascend to the upper atmosphere, then use rockets to reach orbit. From there, we can create a new space station to build a space ship that would remain in space as well as conduct scientific experiments. When the larger ship is completed, let's use that and it's "ship-to-planet" craft to carry supplies to the moon where we can create a full-size moon base.

We have the technology to do it. Right now. We just need someone to do it!

Look at today's technology and what StarTrek was showing back in the sixties. See any comparison? It is imagination that keeps us growing. Stifle it and stifle space technology.
            Imagination does not equal reality. Star Trek was a success due to interest in the space race to send man to the moon. NBC was stupid for cancelling the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
              The Space Shuttle is 40 years old based on a design that's 50-60 years old. Why are we still flying this thing that's about to fall apart? To be honest, I think we need to start over. Now that we know how to do it, let's create an entirely new space craft, perhaps one that can use conventional plane technology to ascend to the upper atmosphere, then use rockets to reach orbit. From there, we can create a new space station to build a space ship that would remain in space as well as conduct scientific experiments. When the larger ship is completed, let's use that and it's "ship-to-planet" craft to carry supplies to the moon where we can create a full-size moon base.

Imagination does not equal reality. Star Trek was a success due to interest in the space race to send man to the moon. NBC was stupid for cancelling the show.
              We have made a new spacecraft. Or rather, we're working on it. It's called the Orion.
              Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
              Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
              -Audioslave

Comment

I think they should cancel the shuttle program make season 11 and use the rest of the money to try to develop a real SG program!

Comment

this has to be the stupidest thing ever
                  Sci-fi is inspired by our imagination of whats out there
                  and whats out there inspires Sci-fi.
                  If you would rather sit at home watching Sci-fi then actualy ever find whats out there, then thats fine.
                  But exploration is the key to discovering who we are as a race and the meening of life, and all that stuff.
                  Hola

Hello

Comment

Originally posted by BC - 303
                    this has to be the stupidest thing ever
                    And that is saying something coming from someone here. Just further proves my point about many, many people here.

Comment

I think that they sohuld start working on a better shuttle, it is still the best way to get into space and can do more than any other space craft. they just have to work out some kinks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus
                        I think that they sohuld start working on a better shuttle, it is still the best way to get into space and can do more than any other space craft. they just have to work out some kinks.
                        They essentially are. It's called the Orion.
                        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                        -Audioslave

Comment

So...is NASA going for a retro look then?

Kinda...pathetic, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                            Do you honestly think the world is in the right condition right now for us to be told that it's already been done? For those types of secrets to be revealed, for people to know that things so far beyond what we think are going on are already in motion... it would pressure the entire world to a massive scale space-race, who will dominate - no longer just the planet - the solar system?

Do you really want that? A world embroiled in a bitter cold war with even more capability for destruction then ever before?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              Blasphemy, pure, unadulterated, blasphemy!
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X